Years ago

What is ML and DL in SA Junior draw?

see some of the draw is up - what is ML and DL ? looks like old junior div 2-3-4 etc is now called DL ?

Topic #48048 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

What on earth are you talking about?

Reply #830731 | Report this post

Years ago

sa local competition

Reply #830732 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Would it have killed you to specify that the first time around?

Reply #830734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are there 2 sturt reserves teams in the mens again?
Don't see the point of adding another mediocre team to the comp, the only teams they will beat are Centrals & Mavs and maybe one other if they are lucky.

Reply #830735 | Report this post

Under a Rock  
Years ago

ML is Metro League and DL is district league. So virtually div 1 and 2 juniors along with U21 and U23 div 1 and 2 are one league, then all the div 3 and below are the other. ML will have one set of bylaws and timing regs, DL will have slightly different bylaws and timing.
Idea behind it I think is that generally players will play div 1 this season, then Div 2 the season after, then div 1 etc etc, so they think by having all the same conditions across both Div 1 and 2 makes it easier for coaches and players to play because they're not constantly playing to deferent rules that require adjustment periods.

Reply #830739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just when you think bsa couldn't do anything more stupid they tell you to hold their beer. I read that explanation several times and still don't get it.

Reply #830740 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This brings back memories of when Hoops was Hoops SA.

Reply #830741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it still is Hoops SA. Don't forget it.

Reply #830746 | Report this post

Old Baller  
Years ago

Why BSA, just Why???

Reply #830748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No communication to members. No explanation with the upload. A mess of a Website just got messier. The language used is Primary School standard.

The current BSA admin has to be the worst in history.

Reply #830749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst I agree with overall sentiment, BSA did distribute an overview of the summer season to clubs which included the ML and DL explanation.
Maybe direct the communication gripe to your club first

Reply #830755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If BSA want my money for membership they can do some direct communication. They have a site where every parent has to go for information. How hard is it to include details on that. A Calendar maybe? A process for how the DL (terrible Acronym btw) works. By-Laws and Rules.

They are the competition managers or they are not. Handballing responsibility to others seems to be how they operate these days.

Reply #830762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No disagreement from me with the sentiment about BSA communication, calendar etc.
My point is that your club did not communicate to its members the information they received from BSA explaining the changes, ours did

Reply #830765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't say my Club didn't, but it's still a handball. And details change and have changed.

Reply #830773 | Report this post

metro & district  
Years ago

My understanding is that this is a short grading season before winter season starts. Top two grades are called metro 1 & 2 and then you have district 1 & 2 which in my view sounds better than div3 and div4. Doesn't seem to be a big issue when it is just a small naming change?

Reply #830774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not just a name change. Which you would understand if they posted the details of all the changes on their Website.

Reply #830776 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

You say you want direct communication from BSA but you post on here... seems legit.

Why don't you call them and ask? Or ask your club as they should have a seat on the competitions committee

Reply #830801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#801 you have no idea. comp committee lol

Reply #830819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

U/21s will be a bigger waste of time than the old Youth league.
All the good players will be in seniors and the best are already at college.
Will be a half arsed comp full of kids more interested in partying than playing.

Reply #830828 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Top two grades are called metro 1 & 2 and then you have district 1 & 2 which in my view sounds better than div3 and div4."

And I suppose you're one of those people that thinks everyone should get a participation medal. Are you in favour of it just so your kids can say they play district div1 instead of what they actually are, a division 3 player?

Reply #830833 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Wait the selling point is so div 3 players can say they play div 1 district? Participation trophies for all then.

Reply #830835 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

it still is Hoops SA. Don't forget it.

Touché.

Reply #830847 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

It is a very BSA move.

District 1/2 (old div 3) no finals
Metro 1/2 - 1 week of finals.

Can a player move from div 3 to div 2 in this current format.
Will a dominant div 3 team not be able to move up after the first 4 weeks.
Will poor teams remain in div 2 even if they are clearly below par.

Church SA teams now in div 3.

I got no idea what is going on!

Reply #830857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

857 no one has any idea!
Just BSA making a bigger mess so they stay employed trying to clean it up.
Corrupt poorly run fraud on every level, especially High Performance.
Basketball Australia needs to come in and seize control, it's in total disarray.

Reply #830882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

882 completely agree, need independent proper basketball people running basketball in SA, not the rabbits we've got at the moment.
It’s the only way you will get rid of the school, club, surname bias that is rife through the whole system, especially BSA HP.

Reply #830883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just happened to catch one of the u23 games tonight. Players that played div 1 last year have now ended up with div 5 players from last season and ended with gargantuan blowouts...how is this healthy for development? Just send them to seniors. U23 is pointless with U21 in existence

Reply #831548 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

The U23 men's results from round 1 are ridiculous. Two 75+ point wins with the losers scoring less than 20 and another 47 point win. Only 9 teams in the comp, with two Eagles and two Tigers teams, not fully timed. It's Div 1 teams playing in a Div 3 or lower comp. Why are BSA even bothering? Doubt U23's will exist after this summer season. How can BSA have months to come up with a direction and then deliver this? They only confirmed the whole U21 and U23 comp less than 2 weeks ago. Why have a competitions committee/manager if they cant work this out?

Reply #831577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why there was a decision to introduce an U21 comp for the men but not women?
Seems bizarre to me or is it just about player numbers

Reply #831587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I look at it differently. Get rid of U21s and let kids settle at the appropriate level. What is even more bizarre is being able to enter two Reserves teams.

Reply #831601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They should've just kept it how it was two season ago

Reply #831657 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Eastern allowed a NBL1 team when they don't have a Reserve Women's team?

Reply #831712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Woodville not Eastern

Reply #831713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why were there two byes in U21 ML 1?

As for no Reserves team - I'm guessing Woodville women are too strong and waiting for NBL 1 season

Reply #831733 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There were 2 byes in U21 ML1, because the North team was pulled out and you look at the north reserves team only having 6 players, what's going on over there.

Reply #831740 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#733 idiot.

Why is Woodville allowed a Women's NBL1 team when it doesn't also have a Reserves Team. This has always been a requirement.

Reply #831744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#744. I think you can't appreciate sarcasm

As for North BSA pulled the wrong team out of a competition meaning North’s team had no where to play. As for Reserves seems some teams don’t have full lists reflected on stats. Add up the points and you’ll see that

Reply #831763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is going on in U21s? Two byes with 2 available teams? Where are north and Eastern teams?

Reply #831766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BSA removed North team from draw by mistake. Will be reinstated next week

Reply #831777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oops. Seriously. Every day they just get worse. What does this Competition Manager have to do, or not do, to get fired?

Reply #831778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does that mean North getting a BYE creates an uneven BYE count, putting the whole comp back to BSA's terrible ratio for final Ladder positions. You'd certainly hope this little oops mistake doesn't cost a team a Grand Final or Competition Win.

Reply #831813 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

Yeah cos winning this mickey mouse 9 round summer season would look great on your resume. No one barely remembers the winter season winners let alone summer champs.

Reply #831985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is important. The sharing of tv revenue between clubs is based on overall rankings - a bit like how F1 works

Reply #831986 | Report this post

Anonimouse  
Years ago

With summer ladder position dictating whether or not teams get invited to the Classics/Nationals grading tournament in may it makes summer a arguably more important than winter now

Reply #832000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another tournament?!?

Reply #832006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If it means nothing why do every single player, coach, parent, club take it so seriously? Why do the coaches run players into the ground, abuse them for every loss or poor performance? Why do parents abuse children refereeing because little johnny got the ball stolen from him and now lost a game? Why keep score? Why have ladders? Why have Grand Finals?

It may not mean something to you, it may not mean much in the grand scheme of things but you can bet your life it means everything to those involved once they cross that white line onto the court.

Is that a BSA employee talking? Sure sounds like their kind of attitude, belittling their own members who are the only reason they have a job.

Reply #832020 | Report this post

Annonz  
Years ago

#000 The summer ladder position gives the top 5 teams a chance to play in a Classics Selection event in May after summer season so not a direct Classic invite from summer season. I'm sure if the team with the buggered up bye missed out on 5th because of it then they weren't qualifying for Classics anyway. Besides, i'm sure BSA will have them play the game they missed.

#020 Calm down there mate, you'll blow a gasket. That attitude is the problem with a lot of parents at junior sport. It's not life or death. Oh and by the way, i don't work for BSA, clearly no one does otherwise this ML and DL wouldn't exist.

Reply #832168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After the debacle when BSA allowed Western Magic into District competition I notice a new one team club in U18s - Modbury. Why? Are there not enough options to go to a district club if you want to play district. I might enter my domestic team in winter. Who thought that this was good idea

Reply #832733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's a strange take.

The debacle wasn't on a low division club being let it, it was that they were based in the same small area of 2 other clubs, and the same venue as one of those clubs.

The intent of the ML and DL split is to encourage other Clubs to join the DL but to keep the ML exclusive.

Reply #832809 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Not worthy of its own thread.... but DL now goes to overtime if the scores are tied at the end of regulation.
3 minute period of time.

Last night had the pleasure of playing after a Div F game. that went to Double OT!!!

the 840 scheduled game, began at 9pm... be prepared for some horrible overtime periods as the season goes on.

Reply #834442 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:32 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754