Isaac
Years ago

Hawks reinstate Illawarra name

The Hawks are delighted to announce the NBL has agreed to reinstate the name of the foundation club to the 'Illawarra Hawks'.

The decision follows the club reaching its lofty membership target of 4379 this season and increased corporate support from the local community.

NBL Owner and Executive Chairman Larry Kestelman said the owners first approached the NBL in November and expressed their desire to reinstate the Club’s name to the ‘Illawarra Hawks’.

"Today we are pleased to announce that we have agreed to their request after they met their membership target this season and attracted increased corporate support from the local community," Kestelman said.
Full story

Topic #48075 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has been Illawara the whole time on nblmsite.

Reply #831605 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

This looks so bush league it's not funny. The Illawarra name gets dropped they just become 'The Hawks' new owners announce they'll start playing games in Canberra etc so slowly moving the team out of Illawarra and then a month into the season it's announced The Hawks are now renamed Illawarra again and thus there to stay for good.

Reply #831607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was a membership drive, it was stupid.

Winning games is what drives member numbers up.

Reply #831608 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is silly. Their sponsor purchased most of the memberships to achieve it - what happens next year? Year after?

Is Illawarra any more engaged and committed to the Hawks after 'feeling what they missed out on'?

What happens to the idea of expanding to Canberra? Moot now?

Don't get me wrong - it looked silly when you have THE in big bold letters and the Hawks in small writing on TV graphics. Made sense for teams with a city, but to have "THE" more prominent than "Hawks" showed little forethought!

Reply #831610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

it was a cash grab plain and simple

Reply #831611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As long as they are winning, it'll grow.

Reply #831613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next season

Illawara Hawks
T.Harvey(i)/E.Naar/L.Dent(dp)
J.Simon(i)/(ns)/D.Grida
D.Adel/D.Deng
S.Froling/M.Darling/A.Gak
M.Mathiang/G.Gak

Reply #831614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not sure they should have locked in darling for 3 seasons.

Reply #831615 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

"It was a membership drive, it was stupid.

Winning games is what drives member numbers up."

If the Hawks are completely and entirely un-viable any season they struggle, and possibly even when they're winning (assuming KET is correct), then they might as well be moved or shut down.

The community needs to show their support.

Reply #831617 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

RIP the The Hawks.

Reply #831640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The decision follows the club reaching its lofty membership target of 4379 this season and increased corporate support from the local community."

Are they serious? 4379 couldn't ever round it up to 5000? Pathetic.

Reply #831644 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone in Wollongong that was infuriated by this need to get themselves to games and become members otherwise the same will happen in the next year or so.

I know many people that whinged who haven't been to a game in years.

Hawks are spending in digital marketing now, i'm getting fed ads on several mediums throughout the day. Hopefully this push helps boost crowds.

Reply #831646 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Illawarra / Wollongong whatever you want to call them have been steadily declining in their support.

In their winning year with Rotnei Clarke and Marvelle Harris under Bevo they weren't selling out.

Even when they had the #3 pick of the NBA draft the community did not support the team and under Campbell's stewardship they lost $1.7m over 3 years.

Whilst I hope they carry on their success and keep a team there, the community there don't really deserve a good team.

Reply #831647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The snake pit has postponed all this Wednesday night games so that hopefully they to WEC and watch the hawks.

MCR are back sponsoring, that was Balls partner. Interesting.

Reply #831660 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Are they serious? 4379 couldn't ever round it up to 5000? Pathetic.
They're in their 43rd NBL season, having started in 1979. It's a marketing number.

Reply #831666 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Absolutely would love Hawks to succeed in their current home.

Legitimate questions though:

#1 Is 4379 members enough to survive
#2 Is enough to survive
#3 Are we likely to see a decline in numbers in future years once this marketing ploy is over, regardless of win/loss status
#4 Is the stadium sufficiently renovated enough to hold a sustainable NBL team
#5 Is the stadium sufficiently big enough to hold a sustainable NBL team into the future, with consideration of increased costs/cap etc.

The Hawks feel like they're living on sentiment of the few opposed to being a sustainable model or at the very least growing to the point where their prospects look reasonable (ie. Taipans re sustainable model & 36ers re growing)

Reply #831672 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Funkyness cut off my #2

#2 Is the actual number of members minus peppermoney's purchase enough to survive

Reply #831673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The WEC is in a shit place to get to, it's beach front. There is no parking, no reasonable public transport. The council should sell it to a developer and build a new all purpose stadium for basketball, net ball etc, near public transport and decent parking. WEC needs a lot of renovation work so flog it.

Reply #831675 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

This is what frustrates about Adelaide - the Memorial Drive tennis stadium is receiving an upgrade.

Why not do it properly instead? Have Basketball/Tennis/Netball there, even concerts, even soccer (was in one mockup in the news)! In the city on Memorial Drive or North Terrace, split the operation costs between the sports/entertainment and provide a world-class stadium right in the city with ease of Public transport, and have the benefits of food, bars around the area (Peel st etc). Worked for Adelaide Oval with AFL/Cricket, would work for Bball, Tennis, Netball, Soccer, Concerts.

Don't waste $40mil on an upgrade just for tennis and resign a city stadium to the scrap heap!

Reply #831680 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

The owner bought 1500 of the 4379 memberships.

Reply #831683 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The sponsor I thought

Reply #831686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lk when seeling the franchise told any potential buyer illawarra was to be dropped so he could force the club to play all over NSW.

When canberra and newcastle had issue's with arenas that idea was stuffed.

Then the backlash from the fans and sponsors occured a stipulation was put in place with regards to memberships.

Its hard to sell them when a fan has no idea when they will actually see a home game.

1 home game for the first few months then flogging the idea of the nbl cup taking away actual home games to victoria makes membership drives more difficult.

Reply #831687 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

the nbl cup taking away actual home games to victoria
The NBL Cup doesn't involve any games that would otherwise have been home games for any of the clubs.

Reply #831690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will still be interesting to see how many turn up, if the sponsors bought 1500 tickets and that's also what I heard, it doesn’t guarantee they use the tickets.

Reply #831693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Canberra's ais facility is dead and the new Newcastle stadium has been poorly designed and will only hold 3600-3800

Reply #831695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Newcastle stadium was planned for 6000 it would be perfect for a team.

Reply #831696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Honest question: is there actually legitimate interest in Illawarra to support an NBL team for the next 5+ years.

It seems that support there has been lukewarm at best for at least the last handful of years. Kinda feels liek we are flogging a dead horse, or am I completely off the mark?

Reply #831698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz all games played count towards the nbl ladder.

Winnings quaters and games also go towards prize money.

Reply #831703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nbl cup ruined clubs ability to make some money. Most cup games will be empty

Reply #831704 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The alternative wasn't having those games at home, the alternative was not having those games at all.

Each team still gets 14 home games, same as every year since at least 2013. COVID restrictions allowing, of course.

Reply #831706 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Can hawks reach playoff this year? How many nbl each team will play some news say 28 and some say 36 games..Thant's to much for 2 import and playing 2 games a week..injury will come to this player..

Reply #831741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last couple of months i've seen more ads in my social feeds than ever before. Hopefully these are reaching less hardcore Hawks fans.

The Hawks haven't done any genuine or serious paid marketing, especially digitally for a decade.

For too long they've relied on The Mercury and one local radio station, i98fm. Plus organic social media. Does anyone read the paper anymore?

There's a huge amount of people of all ages that play locally in various competitions that don't attend NBL games. Getting these basketball folk would be a great start.

In past seasons they've gone away from schools. A decade ago they had school sections at each end. Effectively competing against each other to be loudest and be invited back the next week.

Game night entertainment has been on the decline for ages also. Personally, i don't care for it. But People looking for entertainment more than just a basketball game do.

If they keep winning, improve game nights and keep up the increase in marketing i think there's enough 'fans to make this viable.

If not, do we really deserve the team here?

Reply #831747 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

The hawks lost how much under Campbell? Would love to see the facts on that one. Every club lost money - bar Perf - and it's not like he didn’t inherit a shit sandwich...

Added to that, I think you’ll find Campbell was simply the go between for Stafford and whoever/whatever he wanted. They signed a few players over his tenure that he wouldn’t have touched with your wallet. During his time, Bevo had final say on who they went after - the horrendous signings of Cedric, Jordair & Conklin were all bevo. It’s the primary reason Bevo shunned Sydney, JVG said he had autonomy and Bevo told him to shove it.

Basically, you don’t know anything about the dynamics of any club Dick Broker, but don’t let that stop you from channeling your inner Boti.

Reply #831761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Campbell actually brought the debt down every year he was in charge, it was a total shit fight when he got there and he reduced the debt every year on a budget that United pay for two players. Bevo pick budget imports because that's all they had. Jett was actually very serviceable.

Reply #831794 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

True, Jett was handy for the price they outlayed. Cedric however was horrendous, they would have had Bairstow that season but he was approached early on before they signed their imports and he wanted to wait. Brisbane gave him a timeline and he chose to resign. He's probably thankful he re-upped with Brisneyland...

Reply #831799 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:17 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754