Jack Toft
Years ago

Hawks v United Feb 10

Round 5 kicks off with what is likely to be the MOTR. Undefeated United venture to the Steel City in an attempt to pluck the Hawks. Both teams have had very good starts to the season and sit 1 and 2 in what is likely to be a very tight season where every win matters.

United were lucky they were wearing their brown jocks last round with Perf all over them in the first half and up by 5 at half time making it look like a Perf win, but Perf ground their cogs in the second half allowing United to get the W and stay undefeated. Even Chris Goulding tormented the Wildcats with a calf injury just to rub a bit of salt in the wound. "Oh, even without our top scorer we can beat you" I'm actually a little disappointed wth the Perf loss, apart from the Red Army, did anyone else shed a tear?

The ILLAWARRA Hawks went down like soy latte in Brunswick against SEM. The Creeksters pushing the dagger deep to the hilt into the belly of the Hawks in the 3rd quarter to ruin their perfect start. Steel men are tuff, so I expect they'll pull that dagger out, lick the blood off the blade and go again.

It’s going to be a great game tonight. Illawarra would be on a high and with this being the first home game of the season will be out to get a solid win. United, well they have a reputation to uphold to try to go through undefeated. Rumour has it Jock Landale and the boys will do a nudie run and jump into the Yarra if they do. Eddie Maguire is looking for a job and might be dusting off his resume for Hutchy. Imagine if Eddie somehow got into basketball admin. I like how these teams matchup, or don’t match up. A couple of good shooting teams and no doubt Gorj has done his homework.

I actually think the Hawks might be good enough, but then again, I hope there's a nudie run.

United gets my Kiss of Death

Topic #48077 | Report this topic

Jay  
Years ago

United still win by 5..

Reply #831743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United without Ili, Goulding and Acuil.
Hawks by 6

Reply #831748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks will bounce back after their last one. Will it be enough? Too close to call.

Reply #831749 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wonder if Goorj runs the full court press, trying to tire McCarron and Hopson out.

I expect another very close game.

United needs Hopson to get going now CG43's out.

United will be feeling good if they can get this, with the next game at Bendigo and then the following 8 at John Cain Arena.

Reply #831751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to a great game, won't tip as I’ve got no idea and don’t want to jinx either team.

Nbl has fantastic so far. :):):):)

Reply #831752 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think the Hawks will take this one at home. Ili is probably the biggest out and would have been real handy against the Hawks on D... If anything I think Goulding's absence might end up being a positive long-term if it gets Hopson going, and more minutes for Baba also seems like a good idea based on the last couple of games. I never imagined I'd say this before round 1, but Landale/Ogilvy could be an interesting matchup also. Still, Hawks will come out focused and aggressive after their last showing and it should be enough to get them over the line in a close one.

Reply #831755 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Hawks by 15.

Reply #831757 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

75% capacity. Hopefully the game is a sellout

Reply #831758 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grand final prelude. United are so much better then the rest of the league it's not funny

Reply #831767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baba to start in place of CG43? Watch Hopson find his groove now that the balls gonna be in hands a lot more.

Reply #831772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how can people still think Hawks are all that after they were taken out of what they wanted to do on Sunday by SEM and had no alternative. Stayed in their stinky zone for the entire 3rd quarter even though Gliddon was killing them with his rediscovered 3 ball. They looked good in their previous encounters V Cairns who have been really stinky and Brisbane who you never know what you're getting.

Reply #831774 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Bairstow going to become a factor soon?

Reply #831780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks get this with Ili, Goulding and Lual-Acuil out

Reply #831798 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Ah yes robt, considering the guy just game back from injury he's gonna light the world on fire. Hawks by 7, expecting the hawks to bounce back and adel and bairstow further work their way into form but could see Melbourne putting up quite the fight and wouldn’t be surprised if hopson goes off.

Reply #831803 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hawks should be stronger favourites that $1.76 with United missing CG, Ili and JLA.

Reply #831807 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah United have a lot of significant outs and the Hawks were really playing their first game with Adel & Bairstow in the lineup so a hiccup at SEM along with Gliddon having the quarter of his life was an understandable loss. This one however with all United outs and first game at home wouldn't be understandable.

Hawks by 9

Reply #831811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Bairstow a factor at Brisbane, I'm not convinced his best years are gone.

Reply #831819 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Really looking forward to this one. I rate the Hawks despite the blip against SEM. Anytime you have the entire roster buying into a disciplined but attacking brand good things happen. Hopson needs to be in attack mode as the number one wing option, United need to run a stack of pindowns for him. Looks like Dillon Stith comes in as the injury replacement so he can provide some additional defensive presence on Harvey/Simon. Head to head I'd say it’s in favour of Illawarra.

Reply #831822 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isn't Stith an import??? Are yes they only have one. I leave now.

Reply #831832 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Who cares really if you saw how crap Stith was early last season when he was filling in for Prather I wouldn't argue the toss even if they were trying to sneak in a third import.

Reply #831833 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Sam Freeling has got some moves in the post.

Reply #831852 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great shooting so far from both sides!

Reply #831853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The rings sound like tin cans.

Reply #831855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This review everything system is absolutely atrocious it is mind boggling to me this was approved

Reply #831857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the covid rules, place looks half full.

Reply #831859 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

75%.

Reply #831860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a great game so far. A total opposite to the brickfest Cairns v NZ earlier on the week. The skill level is very high and these are the games that showcase the talent in the league.

Reply #831862 | Report this post

#FreeRiceJnr  
Years ago

Great game and well refereed so far. Sorry to be positive on this forum

Reply #831863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Illawarra looking good. Really hope they can win this.

Reply #831864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United getting stiffed by the refs this quarter

Reply #831865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's official, Adel can’t defend, he’s a foul athon.

Reply #831866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jo Healy sucks. Who even is she? Surely there is someone better in the Gong to offer sideline insight. Oscar? Timmy?

Reply #831867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a preview of the finals series for sure. United have 3 players out and still better than everyone else... crazy.

Reply #831868 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good quality game outside of that short little ugly stretch by the Hawks to start the 4th, that might end up being the difference.

Reply #831869 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What a block by AJ. Out of everything Gorj has ever achieved in basketball, getting AJ to look like he has this season must rank up there???

Reply #831870 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This is the quality we have all been waiting for. Let's hope for more.

Reply #831871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey sucked in the refs there

Reply #831872 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

AngusH it's all in the training as you know being a Kings fan during his reign there. Goorjian and then it's both daylight and moonlight between any other coach in what is a lazy NBL culture. Hard work pays off.

Reply #831873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack White has been such a good pickup

Reply #831874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed a lot players with there singlets out, is this allowed now ?, it never used to be allowed

Reply #831876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United on another level...

Reply #831877 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Horrible last play from Hawks.

Reply #831878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baba first team all defense

Reply #831879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks what a joke.

Reply #831880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When landale was blocked with 43sec left why wasn't it out of him? Same thing as when cotton was blocked. That ending was embarrassing, usual ref bullshit.

Reply #831881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Down 3 go for a layup ? Wtf happened there

Reply #831882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne then daylight, hawks are good but not at the next level. Adel and Bairstow got start earning their big pay packets.

Reply #831883 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Baba handchecks all the time, he is constantly hitting the player he us guarding, can't understand how he gets away with it.

Reply #831884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Free throw shooting from the hawks was pathetic.

Reply #831886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might as well give United the trophy now.

Reply #831891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All good defensive guards hand check, it's illegal but they get away with it. Such is life.

Reply #831892 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Undefeated baby

Reply #831894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"AngusH it's all in the training as you know being a Kings fan during his reign there. Goorjian and then it's both daylight and moonlight between any other coach in what is a lazy NBL culture. Hard work pays off."

Yes Perthworld, the other 'lazy' coaches in the NBL would never be hard working enough to run a play for a 2 when you're 3 down at the end of the game. Might need to add some smarts to all that daylight/moonlight/hard work baloney.

Been out coached by Mitchell & now Vickerman

Reply #831895 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I saw what happened, but we were specifically talking about the training and work put into a player (AJ) who had been down for years under a number of different coaches.

Reply #831896 | Report this post

Midrange  
Years ago

Not knocking Damien Martin but that man had free reign to defend however he liked..
He got the benefit of most 50/50 calls on defence.

Reply #831897 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

I'm sure Goorjian would have drawn up a great three ball play along with a secondary option, unfortunately on the inbound things didn’t go to plan, it’s up to the players at that point.
The comment about Goorjian training his teams hard is fair, he’s always been known as a tough couch that puts a big focus on fitness. Other coaches are likely to also train their teams hard but have more a "tactical" or “skill based” focus depending on the talent at hand.

Certainly enjoyed tonight’s game, some high quality shooting from Harvey and Jessup. Nice to see McCarron play so well and Hopson looks to have some confidence back.

Reply #831898 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

The hand check reference for Baba I disagree. I prefer seeing the refs let this go, calling soft hand check fouls ruins the flow of the game. The offensive player gets a lot of advantages including on the screen and roll so the occasional check is completely fine imo.

Reply #831899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JMS, there are peanuts in here who are going to hate on Baba because he did a great job defensively on Demi-God Bryce Cotton last week. The same peanuts who are still crying over a video review from a game last round in which the ball came off Cotton last, after Baba blocked him. Considering Baba was an unknown and has been impressive, and plays on a team so many hate, they look for any excuse to try to rip him down. And people wonder why Perth fans get a bad rep.

Back to tonight's game, it was an amazing display by the Hawks for the most part. They certainly have that Warriors vibe and will be making teams nervous all season long. I hope they can keep it up and have a long and successful season.

Reply #831900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some peanuts think that the warriors vibe can be replicated in the nbl...

Reply #831905 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What a way to showcase your depth

3 men down, on the road against the 4-1 2nd placed team, on the wrong end of the reffing in the last. But still found a way to win.

Enjoyed watching the new Splash Bros though. Hope they end up making playoffs.

Reply #831907 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And how good was the shooting from both teams in that first half. Great to watch.

Reply #831908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You hope they haven't peaked yet! No defence by both team’s, early day’s yet. Probably one of the best shooting game’s I’ve seen for a while and that’s for sure.

Reply #831909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any thoughts on how Adel is going, on his coin I'd be expecting a bit more.

Reply #831911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The shooting in the first half was partially elite because the game resembled an all star game, defence was no where to be found

Reply #831912 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

The game was such a pleasure to watch, besides the end being a bit wtf.

Really like the look of the Hawks and Melbourne as well. I must say I'm super impressed with Baba, he seems to do all the small things on defence well, but can also back it up on the offence.

Definitely looks like Melbourne could go undefeated, although they might struggle when CG43 and Illi come back in terms of finding a rhythm / where everyone sits.

Also loving the weeknight games!!

Reply #831918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nobody is going undefeated in basketball.

Reply #831921 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

High quality game, but not sure what Harvey was thinking jacking the 3 up so early in the play, then driving to turn it over. Terrible finish by the Hawks.

Reply #831930 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

While a very good game to watch with great shooting, a few less reviews would be better.

Reply #831932 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

On Baba, 2 reasons to give him citizenship now.
1. Half the shooter that Cotton is, but Baba's defence and his never-ending energy is the equalizer.
2. He won't play against us.

On the review system: I am actually all for it.
1st on my list, is simply getting the right call.
2nd on my list of good things is that suddenly, the refs seem to have lost their "we-don't-make-mistakes" attitude. It has been shown that they make plenty. That's ok, it's a hard, fast game, mistakes are going to happen. But now we end up with decisions that all-involved "have" to accept, and they do and we get on with the game. Better than childish "No, no that was a BS call", followed by techs, nothing resolved (was it the right call or not?) and all that costs as much time (wasting) and no one happy.

And if/when the refs are, in fact, getting 95%+ calls right, we may feel no need for reviews anymore!

Reply #831935 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Wonder whether 4 reviews asked by each team coach. (8 per game)

Reply #831938 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The issue for me aren't the reviews themselves but the length of time taken for them to be completed. The review with one second left in the third quarter went on for an eternity. Put a stopwatch on the officials and clock them.

Reply #831943 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

A review, of any kind, will necessarily cost time, what doesn't?

IMO, we are getting accurate decisions for little cost of time.

In the last minute of a tight game, would you prefer to save say, half a minute (no stop-watch used) to get the right outcome OR lose the match on a "possibly", "wrong" call?

On this game, itself: Fabulous game AND fabulous crowd involvement (or was it canned support?)! The highlight was when the crowd, the whole crowd, said "Boo!"

Reply #831948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even if the decisions are reviewed to be more accurate, you still get butt hurt Perf fans in here complaining about favoritism when there little Bryce boy gets blocked and the ball was still in his hand before going out of bounds.

Review system is a good thing, and I don't feel it takes too long, or takes away from the game to the point where it is detrimental. The actual reviews where they went over to the monitor felt like it took longer. They are moving in the right direction IMO.

Reply #831951 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I like the idea of having a set number of reviews per half.

Reply #831978 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

Re: "I like the idea of having a set number of reviews per half."

2 only. per q or per h. Get the review write, you keep them both. Get it wrong and lose 1. (just to keep it honest, not just a "how'zat". on every call or no call.)

... and flops never look good on replays. So we may actually start off with 6, 7 techs per game til the players learn to stand up.

Reply #831979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem with "keeping" reviews if correct could mean 6 or 7 per half especially on OOB. For example it has been commonly accepted if a player get's blocked on a lay up then it's their ball. Now the replay centre are reviewing frame by frame to pick up the very last finger tip touch. That is impossible to the naked eye at game pace. So be-careful what you wish for there and it could just snowball.

Reply #831980 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:38 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754