Jack Toft
Years ago

Phoenix v Wildcats Feb 14

Thursday saw the Phoenix crash and burn by 31 points. That wasn't a loss, that was a disaster and equals their worst loss to the team with 10* flags. Can they turn it around? or will this be the Valentine Day Massacre.

Some are calling this season's Wildcats one of the weakest teams since Alan Bond was a sign writer and Mark McGowan sailed the seven seas in the HMS Pinafore. They got the job done on Thursday and while Kyle topped all scorers, Perth dominated all the stats shooting 41% from outside the arc, rebounding 14 more boards, well over double the assists, and three times as many blocks. My message to the Creeksters is simple "for the rest of the teams, don't let the Wildcats play themselves into form"

Like a bad smell in a cheap hotel room, once the Wildcats are in the top four, they seem to stick around there. No amount of napisan can get rid of them, It's time to call the pest controllers, but Phoenix need more than napisan to win by 42 to seal the series over the Wildcats.

I fear a Valentine's Day Massacre is a coming. Wildcats are too cunning and clever. No rising from the ashes for SE Melbourne today.

Topic #48094 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Valentine's Day Massacre

Great reference that brings back good memories - Homicide mouthing off and backing it up by losing to us by twenty points. Classic Corey. The win set up home court advantage throughout the playoffs for a long awaited title.

Reply #832380 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth paying $175. I will have a piece of that!

Reply #832387 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adnam top scorer but to use coach Henry's terminology, dribble, dribble. Let the ball move and make sure Creek gets it where he wants it. Wetzell has been good but Mooney had his measure the other night and it hurt SEM. Perth and Gleeson, Cotton will again be to strong and Blanchfield could be back to Townsville Blanchfield. I think the roses are going to Perth by eleven.

Reply #832405 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mitch to dunk the Cats into the Creek where they'll drown today

Reply #832434 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Me^

Reply #832435 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Wonder if Trev will bench Travers from the starting lineup to keep him away from Creek.
I would.

Reply #832444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wonder if Mitchell will bench Creek to keep him away from Travers and Shervill. I would.

Reply #832473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

terry armstrong on twitter believe its all over is there any news on him

Reply #832496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looks like the sleeping giant out west is starting to get moving

Reply #832510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How Te Rangi starts stuffs me... he shouldn't even be on any roster.

Reply #832513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jesus SEM are getting some soft calls to get them going.

Reply #832515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No fouls when perth attack the rim???

Reply #832517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We done making up travels on perth?

Reply #832521 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

How random is NBL.

Reply #832522 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Outside of Cotton and Mooney, Wildcats probably shooting at 10%.
Plenty of open looks but they just can't knock a shot down. Will be the story of their year.

Reply #832531 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Actually enjoying being able to listen what is happening with the players and .

SEM have a real crack on the defensive end, let's see if it continues.

Reply #832533 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Let's get blown out by 30-40pts please so there are no more illusions about the poor roster.

Reply #832535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds shocking as a Perth fan but hope we miss the playoffs and streak ends so we can clean out roster.

Reply #832536 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Yep the streak deserves to end due to ownership disrespecting the recruitment process this season and not being more on the ball with Cotton's naturalisation issues.

Reply #832538 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Management too. Troy on notice.

Reply #832539 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats bench is rubbish.
I hope Perth get demolished in this game.

Can't change imports, Mooney and Cotton are class, are Perth allowed to sack any locals?

Reply #832541 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Pretty well known there's less cash for Trev because Bendat is trying to sell before he dies and no-one wants to pick up the cheque. Why they couldn't keep Kay, couldn't attract another high quality guard.

Reply #832542 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Where are the Mitchell haters ?

Reply #832543 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

"How Te Rangi starts stuffs me... he shouldn't even be on any roster."
That's probably why your a spectator and not involved. He is in the team for defense though 14 points 8 boards plus 19 and. The game ain’t over yet is not too bad IMHO

Reply #832544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Cotton is a local. Oh wait....

Reply #832545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide fans who admittedly haven't had success since 2002! should be sinking the boot in to Perth for this humiliating defeat.

Reply #832546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

19 years ago for South Aussies who can't count.

Reply #832547 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

25pt loss.

Reply #832549 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many times can Perthworld flip flop about being a Perth supporter?

Reply #832550 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

25pt loss, after leading 9-0, to make it worse.

Reply #832551 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

This is the kind of performance I was expecting to see regularly from the Cats once I saw the final roster.
Cotton did well to conjure up 9 assists in that offensive mess.
Good game by SEM. Their D was a lot smarter today.

Reply #832552 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Perth 15 from 43 outside of Cotton and Mooney.

Reply #832553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Too right Scout! Are we calling for Gleeson to be sacked now, smh

Reply #832554 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Wildcats bench is rubbish.

Reply #832555 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

#513 thoughts

Reply #832556 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Perth without the main two wing shooters for all or almost the whole game. They don't have anyone who can go close to covering when both Blanchfield and Steindl are missing.

Reply #832557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not many teams would though.

Reply #832558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow te Rangi finally played well.

Reply #832560 | Report this post

Samson  
Years ago

A 56 point turnaround, what the!!!

Reply #832561 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As overrated as Cotton is, god help Perth if he goes down with an injury. You cannot get blown out so badly against a team as poor as SEM. Full reliance on both imports with no other help will not lead to success, but what else can Perth do at this stage?

Reply #832562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wani Swaka Lo Buluk is not nbl quality.

Reply #832563 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This makes the loss harder to take, SEM are a shit team.

Reply #832565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Cotton overrated?

Reply #832566 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Agree not many would be able to cover. Just pointing out that there is a bit more to the loss than OMG Perth are shit.

Reply #832567 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is off his main game. He looks to pass too often and the people receiving are mostly missing. If cotton is passing first then what the heck is norton doing out there.

He has to look at his scoring game and adapt. Seems to lack some of the scoring moves he had 1-2 years ago.

Reply #832570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson is asking too much of Cotton, too many minutes having to play hard both sides of the ball. How many minutes did he log on Thursday night even though SEM were awful and clearly never getting back in the game? No need to win by 30, 10 will do

Reply #832571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton is ok .....as a backup only.

Reply #832572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off his game? Been doing alright this season, clearly best player in league.
And he's passing a lot because, yes, he doesn't have as much consistent scoring punch around him so teams are doubling, especially late in shot clock.
Where has all the consistent shooting gone in league? Blanchfield and Gliddon are woefully inconsistent, get plenty of open looks. And what's going on with TeRangi? Really liked him as a player, but today's games misses (didn't watch last quarter) were cringeworthy!
If there was a 3 point shooting contest, just invite Cotton and Bubbles.

Reply #832576 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Saying Cotton is overrated is the stupidest take I've ever seen on this forum.

Reply #832577 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

" If there was a 3 point shooting contest, just invite Cotton and Bubbles." - Tyler Harvey says hi.

But yes nothing wrong with Cotton's game. He’s still by far the most damaging and consistent scorer in the league. The worry with this Wildcats lineup is their lack of depth (bench very thin) and over-reliance on Cotton. Outside of Mooney who has been very impressive they appear to be lacking class. You just can’t rely on Blachfield, while Travers probably shouldn’t be starting.

Reply #832579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't need a brain to understand what is wrong with Perth

* They relied heavily on Cotton naturalising.
* They rely on Cotton in general and Mooney.
* Travers should be on the bench.
Norton also should be on the bench.
* White, Jervis, Bairstow and Lo Buluk are Nbl1 level guys.
* Wagstaff is getting old.
*Steindl has been out of form but his injury doesn't help.
* Blanchfield is good enough to keep starting but is woefully inconsistent.

Reply #832587 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Gleeson is asking too much of Cotton

No he's not if anything he's not asking enough. The Wildcats had to shell out a lot of money to re-sign Cotton in the off-season especially after the big song and dance he made about leaving, then not.

Cotton wanted every dollar he could squeeze out of the Wildcats well that means there isn't enough left to go around for the rest of the roster hence Kev White, J. Bairstow, a retired Tom Jervis etc.

Reply #832588 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What song and dance did he make about leaving? All he did was take his option to pursue other opportunities, the same as Ware, Cooks and Kay did.

Reply #832591 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Didn't he post a thank you & good bye to message to the Wildcats fans?

Reply #832593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac a Perth hater.

Reply #832595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ true, most fickle fan there is, imagine hating on the bloke that won you 5 championships

Reply #832601 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

25pt loss, after leading 9-0, to make it worse. Fantastic isn't it!!!

Reply #832604 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

The loss sucks and Cats defended like crap but the scheduling is total BS. Playing a team 4 times in 5 games!?! That schedule will ALWAYS favour the team that lost the previous game as they make all the adjustments. Hopefully both teams can get some form and consistency Playing 1 of the other 7 teams

Reply #832607 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Playing a team 4 times in 5 games!?! That schedule will ALWAYS favour the team that lost the previous game as they make all the adjustments
This is true. That's why no playoff series in NBL history has ever ended in a sweep.

Reply #832609 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Always favour does not mean always result in a win.

Reply #832615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack was right for once. It was a massacre

Reply #832616 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Essentially a 56 point swing in a couple of days

Reply #832617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth WILL MISS THE PLAYOFFS

Reply #832618 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I prefer the original Valentine's Day Massacre of 2010.

Reply #832619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please pick against SEM every time Jack Toft

Reply #832620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix fans, there's the one good game you’ll get from Te Rangi this season.

Reply #832621 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for Gibbo to call it a day? Dudes body is gone.

Reply #832622 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

@TB " Playing a team 4 times in 5 games!?! That schedule will ALWAYS favour the team that lost the previous game as they make all the adjustments".

Do you think making adjustments can tip a result so significantly? I would think it's a minor factor but if a team plays as poorly as SEM did last game, they’re likely to come out pretty aggressive the next matchup and if they hit their shots they’re in with a strong chance. In this scenario the Wildcats seemed off the pace and didn’t hit their shots.

Adam Gibson is still playing great ball, tough defender, good decision maker and can shoot. Everyone gets injuries.

Reply #832629 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

So we've split the series against what should be the worst team in the league.
Is it ok to panic NOW?

I don't mind being brought back down to a less dominant level, but this is ridiculous.

Someone at the Wildcats lost the plot this season.
Blanchfield, White, Bairstow, and Jervis. WTF were they thinking?

Even if you say that we expected to have Plumlee and Jook, that still doesn't explain it.

Blanchfield has been underwhelming everywhere he's played. As a project bench player he might have been worth a shot for somebody, but in what universe did anyone think he could start?
And White FFS.

Reply #832630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As soon as Cotton is naturalized they need to go get PG that can score/shoot & defend ... Plumlee is a great like I said before but he won't help this team’s problems

Cotton needs scoring help!

Reply #832632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth need frontcourt help. A versatile 4-man who can shoot and rebound would be perfect.

Reply #832637 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So another Mooney? Lol I'm glad you guys are just fans

Reply #832642 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would describe Mooney as a 4-5 who isn't a great perimeter shooter, so no, definitely not another Mooney.

Reply #832643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need a guard not another 4-5

Reply #832645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not exactly what I'd call a song and dance Zodiac.

Reply #832646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need a 4. Travers and Wagstaff aren't going to get it done. I'd go for an import who can play both forward spots at both ends, allowing Steindl and/or Blanchfield to play reserve minutes at SG when Cotton is resting or at PG.

Reply #832648 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I would have norton coming of the bench and doing what worked well last year for Cairns- that is Cotton in a back court with a scoring point guard. Then we have a half decent roster.

Norton himself is serviceable but doesnt really command defence attention nor score much himself.

Reply #832652 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fair enough, I can see your thinking. For mine, Perth have won six titles with a point guard who "doesnt really command defence attention nor score much himself". Sure Norton isn't Martin, but he brings similar qualities to a lesser degree.

What Perth have always had in those title years is quality in the frontcourt, and they are sadly lacking that at the moment at both ends.

Reply #832653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depth is poorer elsewhere than in Martins era. With Martin playing the rest of the team had more talent. Martin also added more impact in games than Norton does, or do you consider them the same ? One all time best defender and other so far nothing much for history to recall.

Reply #832660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need a Vic Law type. What they will end up with is a Beal/White type though.

Reply #832663 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Unsurprising result. SEM were well placed to bounce back.

On paper I prefer their roster to Perth's.

Cotton and Blanchfield combining for 25 points and shooting <40%.

They lack scorers. Won't win many games with those 2 combining for less than 30.

Reply #832673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Depth is poorer elsewhere than in Martins era. With Martin playing the rest of the team had more talent."

Exactly, which is why I think they need more talent elsewhere! I agree 100% re a Vic Law type, though he is a high-level guy that is hard to come across.

Reply #832674 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

From the posts above, sounds like what Perth need is another Cotton.

"that is Cotton in a back court with a scoring point guard."(from an an Anon^)

For all intents and purposes, Cotton is nothing if not a scoring point guard. He is called a 2, at Perth, cos no-one else, on that team, qualifies as a 2. With Norton, White and Britt as your other guards, there is only 1 you can call a SG. Any other team (most, anyway) and Cotton would be your PG. Cotton has shown a tremendous capacity to include his team-mates, his assists are equal with other gun PG's.

Currently, Steindl or Blanchfield are starting as the 3. Both/either would be great off the bench but a gun 3 & D type to start is the scoring punch they need, IMO.

Reply #832678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield missed half the game after getting a knock to the knee in the first quarter. He was clearly hampered from that point onwards. They were also missing Steindl so their floor-spacing was non existent.

Try watching games LV instead of making comments about "on paper."

Reply #832685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Past years you haven't had a PG that demanded to score but you had Terrico White & Nick Kay that could score & shoot along with Clint

You couldn’t help off those guys or they would kill you along with Cotton still getting 20+

This team has only Cotton teams will start to double him and make others beat them which Perth doesn’t have any of those type of players anymore. Teams gonna start playing them like the Lakers played vs Rockets guarding James Harden

Reply #832688 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

The original plan, for when Cotton becomes an Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, was to bring Plum back as 2nd import. With Mooney as the undoubted 2nd biggest threat on their roster, (and currently in the 5 spot), and Travers beside him as the 4.

Put Plumlee at the 5, Mooney at the 4, Steindl/Blanchfield at the 3, Cotton as your 2 and Norton:

PG. Norton/White/Britt
SG. Cotton/(Steindl/Blanchfield)
SF. Steindl/Blanchfield/Sherville
PF. Mooney/Travers Wagstaff/Bairstow/Lo Buluk
Cs. Plumlee/Jervis/Majok/Ferguson

Obviously, too many 4's & 5's and 4 of them don't contribute much anyway. Swap 1 or 2 of them for a starting 2/3 local (if a 2, Cotton goes to the 1).

Imagine a Yudai Baba at the 2 and Cotton at the 1:

PG. Cotton/White/*Britt
SG. Baba/Norton
SF. Steindl/Blanchfield/*Sherville
PF. Mooney/Travers/Wagstaff/Bairstow/*Lo Buluk
Cs. Plumlee/Jervis/Majok/*Ferguson

*Not sure if DP or roster. Think the list needs a 2nd back-up guard, so 2 of 3 bigs to go.

Reply #832689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anonymous didn't say we need another Cotton just a PG/SG that can shoot & defend so Cotton doesn’t have to do sooo much

Reply #832690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"For all intents and purposes, Cotton is nothing if not a scoring point guard. He is called a 2, at Perth, cos no-one else, on that team, qualifies as a 2. With Norton, White and Britt as your other guards, there is only 1 you can call a SG. Any other team (most, anyway) and Cotton would be your PG."

He is called a SG at Perth because that's the role he is used in the majority of the time, being freed up with off-the-ball movement and screening action to put him into scoring situations.

Reply #832699 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Try watching games LV instead of making comments about "on paper."]

I watch plenty of games

Didnt watch this one but my point stands- Cotton and Blanchfield score <25 on <40% shooting and Perth won't win many games. Perth lacks scorers.

Whether that's due to injury or simply poor form is beside the point.

Reply #832701 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Anyway Blanchfield played 24 minutes. About 5 minutes less than his season average.

"Missed half the game"? Sounds like you weren't watching either.

Reply #832702 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And he was obviously going to play more minutes with Steindl out...

Reply #832708 | Report this post

robt  
Years ago

The original plan, for when Cotton becomes an Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, was to bring Plum back as 2nd import. With Mooney as the undoubted 2nd biggest threat on their roster, (and currently in the 5 spot), and Travers beside him as the 4.

Put Plumlee at the 5, Mooney at the 4, Steindl/Blanchfield at the 3, Cotton as your 2 and Norton:

PG. Norton/White/Britt
SG. Cotton/(Steindl/Blanchfield)
SF. Steindl/Blanchfield/Sherville
PF. Mooney/Travers Wagstaff/Bairstow/Lo Buluk
Cs. Plumlee/Jervis/Majok/Ferguson

Obviously, too many 4's & 5's and 4 of them don't contribute much anyway. Swap 1 or 2 of them for a starting 2/3 local (if a 2, Cotton goes to the 1).

Imagine a Yudai Baba at the 2 and Cotton at the 1:

PG. Cotton/White/*Britt
SG. Baba/Norton
SF. Steindl/Blanchfield/*Sherville
PF. Mooney/Travers/Wagstaff/Bairstow/*Lo Buluk
Cs. Plumlee/Jervis/Majok/*Ferguson

*Not sure if DP or roster. Think the list needs a 2nd back-up guard, so 2 of 3 un-used bigs to go.

Reply #832738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth are cooked and I've been so invested in this team for a long time! It’s very odd team they put together. Either they have no money or no brains!

Cotton citizenship wasn’t guaranteed this season so you should plan on him being an import. Don’t mind putting a shit team together but don’t charge double than the other clubs.

Even with another import they will struggle, our other player’s are so inconsistent.

Reply #832773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hand back your membership then.

Reply #832776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why should I? You should get for what you pay for! Want to spend less you charge less.

Reply #832781 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Working from last year, Perth needed to replace Martin, Terrico, and Plumlee.

We STILL need another PG. Whether or not Norton can cut it, our depth is White and Britt, and that's just frightening.

Terrico was recruited to play SF, specifically because we needed another outside shooter. And we still do. Blanchfield would have been a Good bench option (if we didn't already have Travers, Wani, and Steindl)

Remains to be seen if Mooney can handle some of the bigger Centres. But either/or, we need another big in the front court. Whether that's a genuine Centre, or we go for a Stretch 4 to bolster the perimeter.

Reply #832825 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:19 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754