Robert Tueta
Years ago

NBL Cup Format for Regular NBL Season

I am watching every game. Lots of time and little else to do with it (the time). I especially have enjoyed seeing teams back-up against each-other in a couple of days. And have savoured the adjustments being made, literally, on the run.

I have also read criticism that those games were too close to each-other, and that, of course, the losing team got strategic advances in the return game (learn more from a loss, yadda yadda).

Now, for those folk that don't like it, think of the most exciting, enthralling part of our reg NBL season, the finals. % game, against the same rival, in around a week and a half. Fantastic! 1 team loses and they adjust for the next g. We all wait to see if they succeeded, then again, and again. Basketball heaven, for me. It's almost like player development. You did well, this game, now see if can work on this or that. We expect the players to adjust, get better, learn. Why should the team(s) behave differently?

MY POINT (at last):

WHAT IF the reg NBL season followed a similar, play them now and play them again (and again, and again. See note below "*") schedule, mini-series through-out the season.

* Several ways this could be played out.

1. 4 at once.
All 4 regular-season games to be played over, say, a week.
Alternating H & A or 2 here, 2 there. Would obviously be cheaper, halve travelling costs and pay a bit more for accom. Perth & NZ & even Cairns will love that.

2. 2 now 2 later.
2 game series separated by several rounds.
Once again, Alternating H & A or 2 here, 2 there.

3. Leave well-enough alone

If the regular NBL season mirrored the finals format, would it be Boom or Bust?

Topic #48132 | Report this topic

Robert Tueta  
Years ago

Typo, sorry
Now, for those folk that don't like it, think of the most exciting, enthralling part of our reg NBL season, the finals. % game, should have read 5 games (shift key!).

Reply #834237 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Teams play each other once each in the NBL Cup.

WTF are you talking about?

Reply #834240 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

No, we don't want a playoff format during the regular season. Thank you and please don't come again.

Reply #834245 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think I get what you're saying Robert you liked it how for instance Perth played two quick games in a row against SEM, or how Adelaide did with SEM or how Adelaide did with NZB? The adjustments and whatever the losing team would make and then often turn around and win the next game between those two teams.

I liked it too and although it's been forced on teams due to Covid-19 and trying to minimise travel I wouldn't mind if aspects of it even as a cost cutting exercise where kept in future.

Back to back games against the same opponent in the same location has some appeal but perhaps not all four games in succession that would get boring given they're just regular season games and not a playoff series and fans would probably lose interest and stop turning up after the second game or so.

Reply #834255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"think of the most exciting, enthralling part of our reg NBL season, the finals"

The difference is that there's something on the line during the finals. The difference between winning and losing is substantial and immediate. During regular season, winning or losing the head to head with a given opponent no longer has much impact, if any, on end of season places. So the regular season match-up with another team has little or nothing on the line, other than bragging rights.

As a spectator, I get pretty bored watching the 36ers play the same team multiple times in a short space of time. Same game plans with usually minor tweaks. Same players and same match-ups, barring injuries.

Most head to heads also are four games now, which means each game carries 25% weight in deciding any head to head result for the regular season. The three game head to heads mean each game has a little more hanging off it, in terms of deciding the bragging rights.

One of the things I liked about going to the 1990s NBL games was seeing 10-15 different opposing teams and 100-150 different players through the season. Only seeign other teams once a season added to the uncertainty of how the game might play out. As well, every team always had at least a couple of stand-out players I didn't get to see very often, which added more uncertainty and excitement about how the game might play out. Lots of different coaching styles, game plans, playing styles, match-ups and in-game dynamics.

The regular season head to heads in those years comprised only 2 games, with head to head result deciding ties in end of season places. So that also meant each game had more hanging off it.

It's also a pain wondering how two teams will match up against each other if they don't play each other until more than half way through the season. Because there are only 9 teams, one team matching up really well against another can mean the difference between an 12-16 season and a 16-12 season.

If your team plays Perth 4 games straight at the start of the season, when all their players are healthy, then a weaker team plays them four games straight at the end of the season, straight after Bryce Cotton goes out with a season ending injury, you'd be pissed, too.

Reply #834260 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Could have just said "I want NBL to play fixtures baseball style"

And definitely not. More variety the better.

Reply #834267 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:28 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754