Zodiac
Years ago

Overtime Elite league threatens future of NBL's Next Stars

I think this is probably the end of the Next Stars concept.

The Overtime Elite league would pay approximately 30 players ages 16-19 salaries starting at $100,000, provide medical and disability insurance, plus give them an education and a $100,000 scholarship should a player decide not to go professional in basketball.

It is the latest direct challenge to the traditional path through college to the NBA.

Already some players — LaMelo Ball being the most notable — have chosen to play overseas before being drafted in the NBA. Then this season the NBA announced its G-League Ignite team, where the league is paying 18-year-old players who want to skip college and compete in the NBA's minor-league system under the tutelage of former NBA coach Brian Shaw. The G-League Ignite team attracted two potential top-five picks in the next draft in Jalen Green and Jonathan Kuminga and has gone 8-7 in the G-League bubble.

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2021/03/09/new-overtime-elite-league-chips-away-at-traditional-college-path-to-nba/

Topic #48199 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just abandon next stars and go back to 3 imports

Reply #836341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The next stars here get a lot more than 100,000

Reply #836342 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They get less than $US100,000 according to the original announcement of the plan.

Reply #836345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got over a mill each.

Reply #836355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ball n hampton that is.
Giddey and king maybe 100,000

Reply #836356 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Nobody received over a million ya pork chop

Reply #836393 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They got shit loads. KR wrong again. The original documents? You have them? If you did you would know that the clubs had to pay them $100K. The rest came from the NBL. But who are we to dispute anything here that KR says must be fact.

Reply #836408 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBL launches 'Next Stars' program, targeting potential one-and-done athletes

The players who are brought over will be paid $AUD100,000, which ends up as $US50,000 net, sources told foxsports.com.au.

NBL Implementing ‘Next Stars’ Program, Expected to Target Potential One-and-Done Players
Sources told ESPN those players will be paid 100,000 Australian dollars gross guaranteed (approximately $78,000 U.S.), funded directly by the league.

Reply #836411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that the original announcement or "sources" based reporting

Reply #836412 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I welcome any sources you may have to contradict those.

If, on the other hand, you just want to unilaterally declare that I'm wrong, with no sources whatsoever, I would like to kindly invite you to fuck off.

Reply #836414 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Whilst I was always under the impression it was that $100k AUD figure, it wouldn't surprise if there was some sort of scenario where Ball received more than that in some way whether it be directly from NBL or Hawks or some other scenario ie sponsors.

We all expected the NBA would return serve in some way, the next stars doesn’t define the NBL, it just boosted it nicely. Same with Bogut - directed attention and credibility to the league, now the league has to keep it maintain it keep growing. NBL clearly has a savvy approach and seeing talent that has returned to the league lends to that.

I think the NBL Cup is a good thing to try to foster in some way. I’d like to see it in NZ next year and then in 2023 hopefully international travel opens up more and it could be split between US and Asia with those doing NBAxNBL also playing against each other, say in some popup basketball setup somewhere (near beaches of Cali anyone?!) - good opportunity for scouts to see good NBL players. Other half play in Asia, good opportunity to please sponsors.

There are a lot of options to play with to use the Cup to 1) get nba scouts and eyeballs, 2) reach into Asia market and please sponsors, and 3) have a small period of constant basketball without clubs having to feel punishment of low crowds for eary/midweek games.

Reply #836434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Biggest issue for the NBL Cup is revenue from bums on seats.

Reply #836444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I couldn't see alot of people living in Melbourne actually interested in away teams regaardless of the ticket prices for the NBL Cup.

The times of the games and some of the days they are played on wouldn't help the situation either.

Reply #836453 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If ticket revenue/ crowd numbers are a deciding factor I couldn't see NBL Cup working - I think Melbourne is your best chance for it to work on that basis.

Reply #836459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just abandon next stars and go back to 3 imports"

Two imports are enough since there are other players available and included under the Asian rule.

Reply #836460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was weird to schedule games yesterday (on a Wednesday) and not on Monday, which was a public holiday

Reply #836465 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If next stars IS abandoned then the money and resources should be funnelled into getting the 11 best Asian players in the world to the NBL.

Reply #836482 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

I have no idea about the Overtime Elite league, but a key selling point of the Next Stars was to introduce young players to a professional truly competitive environment against mature players. Not just other young players in a usually talent-diluted competition as in college, nor a league populated by players looking to steal attention as in the G league.

Reply #836500 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I have always understood that Next Stars get $100k paid for by the NBL (per KR's links).

But people here say the teams can/do top that up.

I don't know what to believe but I am sure the $100k is paid and the league retains their rights in anticipation for a buyout should they go to another team.

Reply #836505 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Did the NBL receive anything for holding the rights to Lamelo when he was drafted?

Reply #836511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They received a million impressions on social media

Reply #836512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz said:

"I welcome any sources you may have to contradict those.

If, on the other hand, you just want to unilaterally declare that I'm wrong, with no sources whatsoever, I would like to kindly invite you to fuck off."

You were the one who said the $100k figure was from the original announcement, then went on to cite reports who cited sources. I thought when you said original announcement, you were going to quote something the NBL stated.

Reply #836583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Hampton will join the Breakers as part of the local National Basketball League's Next Stars Program, which means he’ll be paid by the league and not the team. The standard contract for a player in the program is $100,000, but Walsh said Hampton would "far surpass that." He declined to be specific."

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-05-28/-wake-up-moment-as-nba-prospect-shuns-college-for-aussie-league

Reply #836584 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You were the one who said the $100k figure was from the original announcement, then went on to cite reports who cited sources. I thought when you said original announcement, you were going to quote something the NBL stated.
It's pretty clear the substance of my claim was the $100k figure, not where it happened to be said.

Reply #836592 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think the most important aspect of this news is that the NBL has created networking with NBA scouts and they know that they could find a diamond in the rough here so they should be doing their due diligence and keep an eye on the NBL instead of forgetting about it and allowing other NBA teams to get any advantage.

We have ex NBL stars that are proving valuable to their respective teams and even coaches are making their way onto NBA benches.

I'm so glad that not every ex NBA player can come into this league and make us and the Next Stars look silly as it speaks volumes for the league.

But one thing I'm curious about is John Mooney, he came in as an import as Wildcats didn't want to risk losing him to other clubs if they put him up as a next star (you don't need to be a Perth fan to see his value) but would the NBL be bending over backwards to try and sign him on a 2 year deal so that if NBA clubs come calling that they can make some money on buying out his contract ?

Would that apply for any other players in the NBL ?

Reply #836595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hampton got 1.2 something mill, he has said this at least twice.

Reply #836596 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:26 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754