Craig
Years ago

Orlando J gooonnne

Lamar P back in bris?

Topic #48223 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

not sure why Brisbane would want to sign someone who's currently injured and has completely under performed leading up to said injury.

Reply #837177 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

@mystro Lamar offical to bullets.

Reply #837178 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane desperately need a quality point guard steering the ship. Lamar doesn't fit with Vic already thriving.

Reply #837179 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I've seen tweets confirming this move, facepalm at Brisbane

Reply #837181 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Brisbane have plenty of scoring with Law, plus Sobey having a career year. I'm not sure Patterson has the defensive ability needed to take them to the title.

Having said that, they'd be fun to watch with 3 elite scoring options.

Reply #837182 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harrison / Hodgson
Law / Froling
Drmic / Patterson
Krebs / Cadee
Sobey / Wigness

Not sure why Brisbane, who are scoring 10000 points a game but giving up 10000 points a game, would remove one of their committed defenders and bring in another offensive threat who rarely defends?

Reply #837184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lucky everyone took pay cuts so we could have a league, thought clubs didn't have any money.

Reply #837185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane doing Brisbane things. Sigh.

Reply #837186 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Patterson as a replacement for Orlando is a no-brainer though.

Reply #837189 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

How do you figure man? Brisbane is set with scoring. A gun distributor would have been an ideal replacement.

Vic and Sobey have excelled running the team this season. What are the expectations for Lamar? That he come off the bench and keep the offence going? Drmic, Cadee and Hodgson have been holding the fort well enough in this regard.

Or does he displace Tanner and start?

Lamar is an 'easy' signing but I fear not the smartest choice given team needs. He needs the ball in his hands to be effective, will this upset the rhythm Vic/Sobes are rolling with rn? Time will tell.

Reply #837193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zodiac right, this technically really is a Bullets 'no brain'-er.

Reply #837196 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Brisbane should have gone for a point guard.
A lazy signing.

Reply #837199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if i was Adelaide i would have gone after Patterson for Crocker

high risk high reward play

Reply #837202 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ben, the way I see it is that your whole offence is Sobey and Law. Sobes as great as he's been can't keep this up and Law has had a few poor offensive games (I love him as import though) so they're probably signing Patterson to guard against all that. OJ wasn't offering much.

Sure it could backfire if NZB-version Patterson reappears after his return from injury but if you've got an almost but not quite contending team you've got to take a chance like this.

Reply #837210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Ben, the way I see it is that your whole offence is Sobey and Law."

A month ago yes, but not now, Bullets have lots of contributors and their balance is working beautifully on the offensive end. On defence however ...

Reply #837216 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I must say watching Krebs' game is disappointing.

Reply #837257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson a perfect fit for Sixers, out of shape, form and lazy. Makes H Froling look like Creek in terms of conditioning!

Reply #837263 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Patterson wasn't in the country Brisbane wouldn’t have got him - it is tough with limited flights and quarantine atm.

Think it is worth the risk considering how little they’ve got out of Johnson so far and they need a consistent contributor next to Sobey and Law.

If Patterson is healthy and in shape this gives them the top end talent needed to compete with the best of the league

Reply #837266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lamar and Harry will create a formidable duo to be reckoned with.

At Maccas.

Reply #837268 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Hungrys, the burgers are better.

Reply #837271 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^
Hungrys, the burgers are better.

Reply #837272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was Orlando Johnson that bad? Attitude seemed good and he showed interest in actually playing some defense?

Reply #837290 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think Orlando Johnson was that bad. But an in shape Lamar Patterson would be an upgrade in terms of points scoring capability.

While I do feel for these imports that are getting cut as they did make a large sacrifice to come here this season. The simple thing is that if its not a talent abundance like M UTD and a local is forcing you to the bench why pay the import cost etc

Reply #837299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orlando wasn't bad, but he wasn’t that great either. No clear role on the team, an import spot that could’ve been better utilised on another position.

Reply #837314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on guys, Lamar is a great playmaker and all NBL first team calibre player. Of course you bring him in and back your ability to get him in shape.

Reply #837316 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I didn't hate Orlando but my feelings on an import is that they must bring something elite to your team (Illawarra epitomise this with Harvey and Simon giving top notch offence and defence) but I didn't see what Orlando offered and it got to the stage where I was glad he wasn't given a starting spot or minutes as Krebs could be given more of a go but now they have Patterson and my theory for this signing is that he not only knows the system but in the last quarter of a close game, you know that defences will stick closer to Lamar than they would Orlando.

I really like this signing but I can't help but think they have added a big ego and I hope that doesn't get Vic's nose out of joint as the locker room could be as much of a downfall for the best Bullets team in a long time as what happens on the court.

Reply #837322 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I felt like lately Johnson tried to be a bit more aggressive offensively lately with mixed/poor results. I think he was generally OK and the Bullets are chugging along pretty well, but no doubt he was on big coin and the Bullets probably expected more production from him.

Personally I think swapping him out for Patterson doesn't help them. Sobey-Patterson-Law is great on paper, but by the time Patterson is healthy and in shape it may be too late. Every season since re-joining the league the Bullets have managed to make one key error in their roster building, and this could be the latest one. This is the best they've looked, not sure why they are rocking the boat.

Reply #837358 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

One thing I am keen on is that Bullets can always have at least 2 recognised scoring threats (out of Sobey, Law and Patterson) on court. The rest of the team can, and do score, regularly, even though it can be anyone, anytime. Makes scoring easier for everyone. Focus on "the" 2, and the rest will score more easily. One-on-one coverage, and "the" 2 (or 3) will have field days.

With all 3 on the court, I propose that some-one (a coach) comes up with a new zone defence along the lines of a "box-and-1", "a triangle-and-2, and the new one, "a-straight-line-and-3"!

I still salivate over that run-and-gun game from prev season. Will we see more of that?

Reply #837361 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To many people around here believe what's written, ie Patterson can’t play, this is a great signing and will take a lot weight off Sobeys shoulders. Patterson can score, pass and defensively is sound, far superior to Orlando and most likely at basement cost.

Reply #837367 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Good signing for Bribane imo. The upside for patterson us higher the orlando. And if it doesn't come off, the the downsides are similar

Lamar needs routine to get into shape. Breakers couldn't offer the that.

There is a race against the clock that might backfire. But there was no chance of orlando's retention ever been described as a championship winning move.

Reply #837439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does he need routine to get into shape? He needs to hit the gym and not eat so much. If he hadn't found a routine soon after the Breakers arrived in Australia then he's not taking it seriously.

Reply #837440 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Lamar's 'shape' has never been great, but somehow he was able to put up all-star performances in Brisbane.

The issue is how out of form he is and his injury (on top of his conditioning).

Lemanis seems to think he will revert to Brisbane Lamar automatically.

This is a risk, high risk but high returns.

Lamar will have to go from Alpha to behind Vic Law, can he do that? He couldn't at NZ behind the Webster brothers.

But if he can be as good as before without negatively impacting Sobey and Law's amazing run of form, they will be hard for anyone to beat.

Reply #837441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gonna need to reinforce floorboards if him and Harry on court together. Imagine them both at an all you can eat restaurant!

Reply #837450 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Why does he need routine?

Buggered if I know.

But apparently that was a big part of the recipe for getting him into shape at the bata bullets for 2 seasons and it has also been reported in the media.

Reply #837460 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

Ps

And because of breakers transient nature he couldn't establish the same routine with the breakers.

Reply #837461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What if he, and hear me out here because it might sound strange, came into the season in shape? Then he wouldn't need a bunch of excuses made for him.

Reply #837464 | Report this post

Bigdog  
Years ago

No no. I'm with you.

He should have come in in shape.

But you play your cards as dealt. And Brisbane think they can get him in shape via a routine. Breakers didn't. We'll see how it plays out.

Reply #837477 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:59 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754