cavalo
Years ago

Sixers v Brisbane - Another 1pt WIN!

Had to listen to this one on the radio tonight but sounds like another awesome team building win! Brisbane played their usual, physical D which we had to overcome, but the big 3 did their thing and Jake and Ozzie did their stuff (clutch down the stretch) to support. Seems like Coops had a rough night against Bradtke, Brannen and Egan.

Can someone (when they get home) give us a report from a spectator's view - crowd numbers etc and anything else of note.

SIXERS for the championship!

Topic #4824 | Report this topic

TR  
Years ago

The new era 'cardiac kids'... The way they are going I would recommend St Johns carry extra oxygen bottles to each game... Someone is gonna pop a heart valve watching these games.

Reply #55532 | Report this post

Blue Collar  
Years ago

Jacob Holmes had a clutch final 120 seconds from what i could tell. Nice work Jacob!

Another great game from Dusty - this guy produces better numbers then my accountant!

Reply #55533 | Report this post

wak  
Years ago

way to go guys!
Wonder what the reocord is during a season for number of close games? Gotta be close to it.

Reply #55534 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Plenty more chances for one point games. Lets go sixers, bring home the championship.

Reply #55535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was the worst display by an import ever, Willie has to pull his finger out and play more than a min in a game, if he would have played d prior to that we wouldnt have been in that situation in the first place!

Reply #55537 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

That is absolute rubbish Anonymous. Willie's D was fantastic all game - Black was just simply unstoppable.. no one could have done a job on him in the first half.

As for the "worst display by an import ever" comment.. well.. I guess there goes your credibility.

Reply #55538 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Worst display by an import...WTF.

Obviously never around when Paris, David Robinson or JoJo English were with the team....

Reply #55539 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

nothing was stopping Black in the First Half 22 pts and 100% from the 3pt zone bloody freaky effort

2nd half he only got 8 pts

bradtke had no influence in the first 3 quaters no score what so ever,

Oscar came out and nailed several 3s to get things going,

maher had 4 fouls at the half

the last 6 mins of the first quarter was the best defensive effort by the entire team for a very long time and yes to that rubbish anon poster willie defended like a champ and cause numerous turnovers and steals

Jacob had a very solid game, rebounding and assisting like a man possesd and finish with 14 pts i think and 7 of those in the last

Dusty played solid all night but his free throws let him down 50% or less

Maher played a he allways done but was physically d'ed all night

Nash showed some defensive pressure but looks a little under match fitness

Hill was enthusiastic but didnt settle

Big Fellas was on fire :) mid range jump shot

Coops was playing great defence and rebounded and blocked well BUT refs decided his where fouls and Brannens and Egans where legal for much rougher stuff - go figure >:|

Sam Mack had a awesome alley oop dunk which had the crowd applauding it for one of the most athletic moves of the season

and to the Seals that has to be the Biggest Joint of all time,

well done on worrying brannen out 5 free throws

still to win against brisbane and to shoot 39% from the field and 29% from the 3 point land

to there 48% and 45%,

Good win but these 1 pointers are not good for the heart,

well done guys,

also would have to be the biggest crowd of the year, 80 - 85% capacity i reckon

and Pre game intros and entertainment were greatly improved and the drummer group where fantastic

well done

Reply #55542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd close to 6000 if not just over.

Reply #55543 | Report this post

Anonymous HATER  
Years ago

That was the worst anonymous call ever ya toolbag!!!

Reply #55544 | Report this post

cavalo  
Years ago

thanks thomo

appreciate the write-up

is there anything official on the crowd number yet? 6000 seems to be the number thrown around at the moment?

Noticed on the boxscore that we won the battle of the boards... again, against a bigger line up. A fair amount of turnovers too - maybe due to the physical D or silly little stuff? Holmes had 5, Maher 4 which is a bit uncharacteristic?

Reply #55545 | Report this post

Nino  
Years ago

Surely that performance, witnessed by that many people will keep the fans coming back! There is always a decent amount of drama at the Dome these days. Great to see such a big crowd, nothing else to do on a sunday night in adelaide especially when its wet!!

Reply #55546 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Three of Maher's turnovers were in the first five minutes of the game - the whole team just failed to come out of the blocks. We were down by 15 or so halfway through the first.

Brisbane looked more dangerous all night, spent most of the game with a 6 point lead.

However, the Sixers proved again that they can turn it up when necessary with some awesome D.

Anon, did you ever think that it was a deliberate part of the Sixers gameplan to only turn up the D for short periods.

During those periods, Farley is one of the most explosive defenders around, and he causes the loose passes that his team mates pick off.

No team this year has been able to contain us when we go into this mode - it has won us 6 close games. But nobody could keep up that intensity for 48 minutes, and if they did, it wouldn't be as effective at unsettling the other team.

Just cos Farley doesn't look like he is working as hard on D the rest of the time, doesn't mean he isn't working hard and following the team gameplan.

Reply #55548 | Report this post

Kwest  
Years ago

The key play of the game was Farley getting a 8 second violation on Black... Big Defensive stop

Reply #55549 | Report this post

Double Clutch  
Years ago

Crowd was 5,111. Info straight from the Candy man.

Reply #55550 | Report this post

Thomo  
Years ago

5,111 pity looked so much more then that

Reply #55551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was an AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME GAME to watch!!! The crowd seemed more up around the 6000-ish mark, (5,111 sounds too small!) and they made a hell of a lot of noise tonight.

Willie Farley... he knows how to hit the important shots and boy did he hit them again tonight! The usual 3 - brett, willie and dusty all had solid games and i think oscar and jacob contributed nicely off the bench. Go 6'ers! Keep it up, because right now things are looking sweet! :D

Reply #55555 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Crowd looked 5,150 to me. (Update: Oops, saw DC posted 5,111. Music Man, MC Bonz and others around the bench after the game will confirm my guess of 5150, unless they're liars! Last week I guessed 5300 and it was 5335 or something. This week I guessed 5150 and it was 5111. Not bad! Mr Music, what was your guess again? 5069 or something?)

Reply #55557 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

Trust Music Man to chuck in a 69 somewhere there......

Reply #55565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Isaac, u only guessed afta u saw the actual crowd figure!
and to make it less obvious, u didnt wanna guess the exact figure!
then u pretend to do an "update" haha =P

(Mod: Actually, I wrote the comment and then forgot to post it because I was writing my match report. I made the 5150 call at the game and had numerous witnesses. You can't deny the talent!)

Reply #55570 | Report this post

Music Man  
Years ago

I had 5217 in the weekly battle of the minds competition.

Hey TR did you go to school in Adelaide?

Reply #55578 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Anonymous' call is WAY over the top, but Farley's D on Black first half was pretty bad. The guy needs to get over some screens.

Most of Black's shots were from open looks, the other were just crazy.

Willie plays intense D with a lot of reaching and slapping at the ball, but sometimes I wish he would just stay in front of a guy like Black with a hand up on the shot.

Might be a coaching issue, as I noticed second half most screens were switched.

Still, Willie came thru in clutch again, and I had money on the Sixers by 1-6, so I'm a happy man!

Reply #55602 | Report this post

Panther  
Years ago

Yer agreed, I was hoping Phil took Willie off Black in that first half too. You can't give Black that much space so early on in the game. When a shooter gets their eye in early..game over!
I think the guys were very lucky to get away with that win. The rest of the wins we've had we pretty much deserved to win, I didn't think that last night.

Reply #55606 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Black was running off of 3 screens to get open in the first half and was losing everyone (Farley was not the only guy to try and match up on him. Black also managed to school Nash, Maher and Holmes in the first half.

Anyone trying to put it all on Farley is kidding themselves. It took a while for Smyth to wise up on it, but definitely after the half we played switching D to hold him up. Should have been doing that earlier, but it slowed him down eventually.

Reply #55644 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Why was there footage on the news if no channel showed it? What was the point in videoing it?

Reply #55713 | Report this post

gertrude  
Years ago

i thought farley's defence was spasmodic, and certainly 3 or 4 of black's shots in the first half were way too open, and the others were just tough. i dont think it is entriely willie's fault as he was getting screened a lot, but i thoguht they should have tried someone else on him a bit earlier...why not maher??

Reply #55799 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Has everyone forgotten the turning point of that game???

Black- 8 second halfcourt violation turned over by Dah Dah! farley who pumps the air and jeers the crowd up!

Reply #55804 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:43 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754