Jack Toft
Years ago

Perth v Sydney Apr 1

Perth not only dethroned the Kings last game, they double dacked them on their home court, taunted them and then started dribble with their non-preferred hand to give them a chance to catch up. Tonight they get to do it again.

A (75%) packed stadium of feral cat fans is as hostile to visiting teams as a feminist convention is to an MRA walking in holding up a sign saying "Make me a sandwich" This could get messy.

I think it's fair to say that you can't fatten the pig on market day, and over 4 days its hard to see the Kings doing too much to make a difference.

Perf by double digits...

Topic #48306 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

The wildcats side that wasn't supposed to make finals is yet again the team to beat. Kings probably would’ve been better staying in Sydney and preparing for Brisbane on Saturday, that’s about the chance they have of winning. Kings imports are highly rated but next to cats imports they don’t stack up. Ware has talent but to much dribble and poor shot selection hurts him compared to the master Cotton. Martin can score and was to be a five man but lack off defensive power and rebounding ability has him now in the four, a long way behind Mooney. Of course the master Gleeson is not letting this slip to the beginner in Forde who at time has looked capable but other times all at sea. This could be a good game but probably has more chance to get ugly, certainly with a little bit of home cooking. Perth by 10 minimum.

Reply #840164 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Perth by 17.

Reply #840174 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Cotton a big chance to drop 40. Perth by 20+

Reply #840179 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Sydney are more than talented enough to make a contest of this.
It remains to be seen whether they actually want to.
Perth by 1 will do me. 20+ is cool too but I don't know if they're capable of crumbling that hard again.

Reply #840204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats by 10, and that's probably being generous to the Kings. Sydney just aren’t that good. Martin is overrated as an import 4 - the dude just can’t rebound. Mooney will destroy him. And Ware against Cotton is a total mismatch. This thing could get ugly early.

Reply #840210 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

IF the kings can do better on the boards this time they'll give themselves a chance. They have enough scoring power but its a big IF whether they can match the Cats physicality on the boards for a full 40 minutes.

Reply #840212 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mooney v Hunter, Mooney gets the chocolates
Wagstaff v Martin Wagstaff again gets the chocolates
Blanchfield v Didi, close probably Blanchfield in current form
Cotton v Dejan, no contest even though DJ has a good season
Norton v Ware, Norton is good enough to break even or win this.
Gleeson v Forde, nothing to say here other than lol.

It's not looking good for Sydney. Sydney do have a bit talent on the bench that could go even with Perth bench but will they see enough time.

Reply #840214 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#214 talk about home cooking.

Ware > Norton - no contest
Martin > Wagstaff
Blanchfield = Didi

Maybe take your red glasses off before you post and I do not even follow Sydney.

Reply #840219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin can't defend a wheel barrow, doesn’t box out or take contested boards, all things that Wagstaff is good at.

Reply #840220 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wagstaff v Martin Wagstaff again gets the chocolates

What?

No-one on the team can guard Martin one on one.

Reply #840221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney have sufficient talent. It's just a matter of whether they will take the loss to heart, and play harder, and make adjustments to play smarter. They have done this at times, but not consistently. A loss is a good opportunity for a successful adjustment, but their inconsistency, and Ware's tendencies suggest they won't get it done this time.

I think it will be a better game though.

Reply #840223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#220 you might want to go check your stats. Martin plays 3 mins more per game than Wagstaff.

Martin 17.7 ppg 1.3apg 6.08rpg @54%
Wagstaff 7.29ppg 1.4apg 3.88rpg @37%

Reply #840225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Perth fan, the above comparisons were way off. Besides, Perth don't win because they have better players at every position anyway.

Also Blanchfield >>>> Didi.

Reply #840227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As Gaze said, Sydney need to use Martin better.

I think his mobility, athleticism, and general scoring ability could be productive, draw fouls, demand defensive attention, and lead to mismatches on rotations.

I think Sydney's offense is too Ware centric, and he tends towards hero ball under pressure. He hasn't been able to get consistently hot to be able to reliably lead a team in scoring and create opportunities for others by demanding attention and breaking down defensive rotations.

Reply #840228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff can he actually do a lay up.

Reply #840234 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff so underrated. Gaze the super coach now.

As above punter sort of said, yes Martin can score but there is two ends of the court. I'm certain every team if they had a choice of Martin or Mooney, Mooney would win every time. Let’s compare imports.

Reply #840237 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think comparison of individual players only helps so much though. How the teams use their players counts for more here.

Reply #840238 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Perth to win by a total of Perth

Reply #840246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#238 you should tell LV that because he can't get past on-paper match ups.

Reply #840252 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I've just put $100k in Sydney

Reply #840269 | Report this post

Perth Arena  
Years ago

Just want to apologise for all the booing. Perth can be assholes sometimes

Reply #840293 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Only sometimes?

Reply #840301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think fans felt ware dove and then drew a terrible offensive foul at the beginning of the game. That sort of behaviour will draw boos. Add in him lining up nortin then flopping to make it look like a foul and his no flop warning blatant flop and you may fine people just don't like the way he is playing the game.

Reply #840302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were is didi nest yr nba or europe

Reply #840304 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

So Ware is being booed because his flopping isn't up to the high standards Perth fans have got used to from their own team? LOL

Reply #840307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice English.

Reply #840308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's the point of a flop warning? If you won't action his 5th flip for the game?

Reply #840309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The make up for not giving him the t was atrocious!

Reply #840310 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The calls Cotton gets are disgusting.

Reply #840311 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Home COOKING

Reply #840313 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Cotton gets stripped by Ware, it's a foul.

Cotton pushes off Ware, a no call.

Cotton gets blocked by Ware, it's a foul.

Reply #840314 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Now Ware can't keep playing tight defence on him because he's got four fouls and now Cotton's able to start doing something. It just ruins games.

Reply #840315 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That was stupid by Moller.

Reply #840316 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Home cooking

Reply #840318 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Homicide ranting about Cotton being the greatest import ever which firstly is an absolute insult to Leroy Loggins Cotton's only been here a few years and secondly on a night when Casper Ware shut him down too. Pick your spots Homicide tonight ain't the night for a hype job.

Reply #840319 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't know what's worse, losing to Perth by double digits when playing like utter shite last weekend, or losing due to the farcical referring tonight.

Reply #840320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What was stupid was taking Moller of and putting Hunter when they were leading.

Reply #840321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That too.

Reply #840322 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Angst aside, hell of a game from the Green Army tonight.

Reply #840323 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I feel your pain we've been on the receiving end of a few 8 on 5 games over in Perth too. Cotton's a great player but the refs bailed him out badly against Ware, that was tough to watch.

Reply #840324 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Yep Cotton is damn good but damn talk about getting the rub of the green

Reply #840325 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I've just put $100k in Sydney

I don't know what 'in Sydney' means, but you don't have a $100k anyway.

Reply #840326 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Challenge for every other club to pull their finger out and build a massive fanbase too, and get them to show up to games.

Reply #840327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagstaff falls over, trips Moller and Wagstaff goes to the stripe. Kings were shit last week but the horrendous home cooking spoils it all.

Reply #840328 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Syd100Kney

Reply #840329 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Challenge for every other club to pull their finger out and build a massive fanbase too, and get them to show up to games.

Attendance: 10,123. Were unstoppable.

Reply #840330 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Two calls took Sydney out of the game and spoilt a great matchup between Ware and Cotton.

Reply #840331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

21 more free throws in a close game. So legit.

Reply #840333 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

These are the types of wins that cement our position at the top of the ladder for the ultimate feast come playoffs.

Reply #840335 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Agree, these are the type of wins that cements Perth at the top of the ladder. 100%

Reply #840336 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flabbergasted at the foul and free throw count. Perth miner premiers it's all over.

Forde made some poor subs down the stretch the hurt Sydney.

Reply #840337 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Subs hurt less than the bad calls tbh.

Reply #840338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ref's were atrocious. Make-up call stacked on make-up call. Sydney played more physical than the cats and got called for it. Wares block was clean, obvious make up call for not giving him a t after a flop warning.

Reply #840339 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Ware had to stop guarding Cotton.......game over

Reply #840340 | Report this post

Livster  
Years ago

Perth cranked the D in the 4th. Kings will/should make the play-offs. Feel they just need a little more consistency.

Reply #840341 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That was meh from start to finish

Reply #840342 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

As long as Perth fans don't complain about bad calls on the road.

Reply #840344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Subbing Moller of with a one point lead for Hunter was not good. One minute later they trailed by four and Hunter got subbed off. It's Moller help out D and box outs around the ring that’s his strength, no stats for that though.

Reply #840345 | Report this post

Livster  
Years ago

Perth get bad calls to. Wildcats just a better driled team overall. Bad calls don't create a 6 game win/loss differential. Wildcats will drop a game or two this season where calls go against them. It all evens out.

Reply #840347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't complain about the foul/free throw count after 3/4 time. It was 13-14 before the Kings began fouling to stop the clock.

Also while yes Casper got the ball, he also got alot of head with his elbow on that drive.

Reply #840348 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Good call Livster, was actually relieved when Cotton revived the player challenge on that out-of-bounds play in the first half despite the Cup being over. Clearly a bad call, equal to the Ware block down the stretch.

Reply #840349 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The free throw count was 36 to 15, yes there was a few down the stretch but nothing like that discrepancy.

Reply #840350 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's happened for years and it will continue to happen, other teams get the same treatment at home. If Perth wasn’t so dominant don’t think it would be as big of an issue.

Been most consistent team for over 30 + years and unfortunately in every work place if you been there for a while you tend to get away with more than the rest.

Shit seeing a team win championships consistently but you have to credit the club continuing success.

Reply #840353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a neutral fan, this is one of the worst home cooking games I've seen in a while. Refs ruined the spectacle.

For once I agree with Bogut, the league needs full time refs because the 4th became unwatchable.

Reply #840354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because Bogut is the oracle of all things. Smh

Reply #840356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Incoming fine for Forde based off the Sydney post game press conference? (Shouldn't be fined but you just know the NBL will)

Reply #840357 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Should be fined and will be $$$$$$

Thats the best coaches tirade ive seen in a long time!

Reply #840359 | Report this post

Cats fan  
Years ago

Longtime cats fan and Sydney hater but damn that was cringy watching my boy Bryce get bailed out. He's gonna go close to being NBL goat but ware had his number tonight.

I love beating Sydney but only when it's earnt. Don't think that was the case tonight

Sydney will be tough come finals.

Hats of to Ware. When he performs like that it's good for the game and the league.

Hope this just adds to the longtime great rivarly between us and the king's.

Reply #840361 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree with the sentiments of Cats Fan.

There was a foul on Ware in the 4th where Forde looked as angry at the call as I'd seen a coach in a very long time back to Joey and Woolpert but he composed himself quickly, does anyone think that he could have earned a tech and tried changing the momentum even if it got the fans right into the game?

Vodanocich got way too much court time and they looked so much better with Moller on.

It was a real shame that Vasiljevic didn't have a big game as I had been wanting to see him live for years but I'm sure he will have a big one again soon.

Reply #840372 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I agree with all the posts about the poor ref's but unfortunately as long as the ref's are human they will make bad calls and be influenced by a crowd, that's life and Perth aren't the only beneficiary's of bad calls, we are just the latest.

Fordes presser was a great laugh, he brought up the historical free throw disparity, funny thing is i never heard him complain about it whilst sitting next to Trev in Red all those years.

I actually think it may have a negative effect on the kings, the ref's won't be happy with the tirade.

Reply #840381 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'm not a fan of the, 'well he wasn't jumping up and down before so why now?' thing. It's an apparent attempt at denying objective data

Reply #840382 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

That was a pretty epic rant, and although he's clearly (by the Landale/Bairstow tangents) been wanting to speak up for a while now, last night was the right time to let it out.
Quality stuff. I hope Paul Smith was taking a lot of notes about how to complain without coming off like a complete dick and hurting your own case.

Reply #840391 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Gotta agree Luuuc - Forde was very articulate and presented his case very well. His shots/comparisons to Gleeson were spot on, if he prowled the sidelines call for a foul or too long in the key he would not get away with it and get a tech.

Might be a case of needing to do his time but there is definitely not a consistent approach.

Saying that he will know there is a fine coming his way.

Reply #840392 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see whether the majority of the 50/50 calls go the Kings way next game or if Forde has shot himself in the foot by being so publicly outspoken.

According to him he might need to bide his time as HC for another 300 games before things start to go his way)))

Reply #840400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with some of the other comments that there were some dodgy calls which likely affected the result. But the potential home cooking wasn't what annoyed me the most, it was the game call and specifically Homicide.

I do think it’s good that he has such passion for the league but the way he aggressively forces his opinions with his game commentary (hell even on Overtime), talking down to and dismissing his colleagues rather engaging in calm constructive discussion is becoming a really unprofessional look for the league.

Last night and not surprisingly he was (again) getting on Cotton’s jock (Boomer Bryce as he calls him) claiming he’s the greatest ever import. No one doubts Cotton’s greatness and his place amongst the greatest imports is worth discussion, but its how he goes about discussing it during game play, even arguing with his broadcast colleagues (Hooley last night) that makes him look like a goose. Would professional commentators like Marv Albert ever talk over and dismiss his fellow crew during game play? Of course not!

For all of his passion and obvious knowledge for the game, he lets himself down with this crap.
Call the game man and leave the discussion for Overtime or Twitter. After all, it’s not the Homicide show!

Reply #840403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde had a right to be very upset, he can't blame the refs for Vadonovic game time and fouls though, that’s his decision, just like other games kings have lost to some of his decisions. Kings should be higher up the table except for some poor coaching errors, all their coaches but he’s in charge.

Really enjoyable game and the nbl is great competition.

Reply #840407 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Brilliant stuff, Adam Ford

Finally someone important openly talking about Perth's reffing advantage.

Love it. Hats off to you, sir.

Reply #840409 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Forde*

Reply #840410 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Im definately in the minority here but i enjoy Homocide most of the time. Hes a colorful character and i like his humor. I agree that sometimes he can be over the top when forcing his opinion. He needs to learn to control himself from interrupting the other commentators and then it would be more professional. But i'd prefer him there than just the play by play and purely analytical commentators. When i watch NBA the commentary bores me to tears!

Reply #840412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While it takes courage to speak out like Forde did and to a certain extent he is right, he should be bringing up Vadonovic as an example as he's a shit defender and fouls a lot. The nbl should have stopped the complaining to refs years ago. Gleeson has made it an art form, last night I could hear him yelling three seconds and there was no one in the key, his continued yelling of foul also should be stopped. He’s not on his own at the yelling but like his team he’s the champion at it.
His teams are so well prepared though, love his time outs.

Reply #840416 | Report this post

Vodka63  
Years ago

I think Forde came across like a petulant child. He would have you believe that Sydney is discriminated against no matter who they play. I can see why he was appointed. Perfect alignment with the owner.

Reply #840426 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah, Vodanovich may or may not have a reputation with refs, but I know he has wasted no time in getting a reputation with me for being genuinely foul-prone so I'm pretty sure opposition coaches & players would be all over that as well. He needs to adjust the way he plays. Yeah Perth got some calls but not all of them were suspect.

Reply #840427 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANyone know where we can find the press conference? Can't find it anywhere.

Reply #840428 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Reply #840430 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings Facebook or Twitter had it. He has some points but overall trying to defend Vadonovic is a sorry joke, he defends like he has rocks in his shoes. He's right on the Casper block though.

Reply #840432 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Surprise surprise more complaining out of a franchise run by Paul Smith.

Got to love marginal contact.

Reply #840433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difference is Perth has the clutch gene with their players specifically Cotton and Wagstaff and Sydney didn't

Reply #840434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a total neutral, I agree he has some points, imo it didn't cost them the game. Martin is a great offensive player but defensively around the bucket isn’t that good, that’s not refereeing that’s recruiting, replacing Bogut with a total different type player and expecting the same results. Mooney would’ve been a much better fit. There is a lot that goes to winning and good refereeing is part of it. Hopefully they can get a few more full time refs and improve it but I’m not convinced they are costing sides wins most of the time. Look at the Brisbane v Geelong game in afl few weeks ago, now that cost the game.

Reply #840438 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

If you look at Forde's press conference he was taking ownership and providing context to his points did not come across as petulant.

Reply #840441 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That was a pretty epic rant
I don't think "rant" is the word for it. He was calm and measured, came with the data to back up his argument, and clearly explained the steps he'd already taken to try and resolve the issue and the complete lack of adequate response from the league. Every call he highlighted as a bad call was, in fact, a bad call, and I thought Casper's third was a poor call as well as his fourth. The USF on Moller was the worst USF call I can ever recall seeing.

He's completely justified, and expressed that without ranting and raving and getting angry. I would assume a fine is still incoming, especially given he singled out the "local ref", but it's difficult to find any actual fault with his approach.

Reply #840442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Difficult to find actual fault? He singled out Perth, and he made it out like only his team ever gets the wrong call and that is why they are losing games. He nitpicked stats with no unbiased discussion around them. the 4.67 more fouls was a joke. Perth is usually up at the end of games fair to say there is easily a couple late game fouls there.

If he had said that the umpiring is inconsistent and cited when they were on the right side then he has more merit, but all he did was bitch. He singled out Trev but didnt mention Vickerman or Goorj. It was very much tall poppy syndrome.

The USF rule is what it is, every team has copped one, that is the stupid rule. If it wasn't the rule and you were allowed to do what Moller did then I am sure Perth players would have grabbed an arm, jumped on to stop the kings shooting rather than giving up like 5 and 1's throughout the game.

Every team gets bad calls in every game, every team usually gets the rub of the green at home, every sport every league. But it was Perth so let's trust the unbiased opinion of Shane Heal, he has no agenda...

Reply #840444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't complain about the Moller call. Complain about the terrible FIBA rule. A player in mid air cannot disappear. But the rule is the rule. It’s not the green teams fault. The Ware 4th foul however is.

Reply #840445 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

See, that's exactly the sort of unhinged, fact-free rant Forde didn't go on.

Reply #840447 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Don't complain about the Moller call. Complain about the terrible FIBA rule. A player in mid air cannot disappear. But the rule is the rule.
Which aspect of the rule did Moller violate?

Reply #840448 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well it is fact the only coach he referred to was trev, it is fact that he never said his team gets the rub of the green, it is fact he only cited Perth's home foul count advantage without providing any reason why.

Are you really going to say that all teams don't get good and bad calls and most usually cop a few better ones at home?

I think your understanding of "facts" is a little messed up.

Reply #840449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KR your educated. Go read the rule and look at the accompanying documentation plus video examples. You don't spoon feed people why would I do the same for you!

Reply #840450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"it is fact he only cited Perth's home foul count advantage without providing any reason why."

No, he actually stated that the teams with the 2nd and 3rd biggest foul differential at home don't even reach Perth's advantage if you add them together.

Reply #840451 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

KR your educated.
*you're

Reply #840452 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Watch spelling and grammar errors.
Koberulz gets excited correcting them.

Reply #840457 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

We get to beat Sydney again in 6 days.

Reply #840458 | Report this post

Perth Arena  
Years ago

I thought Forde spoke well. I see bad calls on all teams, but as a Perth fan I find it hard to decide whether we have an unfair advantage or not. I do dislike Trev's theatrics.

The 4.67 thing was interesting. I’d love to see the same stats but exclude 4th quarters. Because Perth are formidable at home (home cooking or not) and other teams get tired/desperate/strategic fouls in the fourth.

Reply #840459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So it was a planned calculated premeditated rant that he did his homework on prior to losing. Excellent, that makes it so much better.

Reply #840460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nice KR, it's Good Friday, spelling/grammar isn’t high on my agenda today. Just obvious you do not know the rule or the guidelines that accompanied the USF rules when they were released by FIBA. I’m shocked. Must be terrible for your ego.

Reply #840462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It wasn't unsportsmanlike, the rule is so spasmodic but in this instant they got it wrong. Forde looked very tired in the press conference, I’d say Brisbane are licking their lips tomorrow night, kings will be shell shocked.

Reply #840467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The 4.67 thing was interesting. I'd love to see the same stats but exclude 4th quarters."

Yes it would be interesting to see that statistic if they could somehow remove the intentional end of game ones. Without doing that it seems weird of him to complain about a 4.67 differential after his team just minutes earlier probably committed 4 fouls on purpose to stop the clock.

Reply #840468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unsportsmanlike has been judged very harshly all season so last night I expected it to be called the same way. The interpretation is a lot different to how things were a few years ago but league wide it has been called fairly consistently this season.

Reply #840469 | Report this post

Perth Arena  
Years ago

OK it's bugging me now. One to see if I can reproduce 4.67, but two to see if excluding q4 changes anything. I like my team winning as much as the next guy, but he's right - if the advantage to Perth is unfair, the NBL needs to be called out.

Does anyone know a freely available where I can get a dataset to pull this info from please? I can see websites like scoreboard.com have quarter by quarter foul counts so it must exist someone.

Reply #840470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why did they get it wrong? You can't just whack someone because your in a shit position so he can’t get his arms up

Reply #840475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all we know sydney could be second on that list, he did not name the teams. This conspiracy that perth gets gifted games and calls is becoming a joke, a coach of the league cLling it in a conference is a joke.

He copped a usf because he made sure bkanchfield couldn't get a shot up, it's the way it is called. No one complained when wagstaff got one earlier I the year, but that was probably perth getting gifted that game too.

Reply #840476 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Moller had his legs taken out and was trying to protect himself.

Reply #840480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's not part of the rule or an exemption to the rule. Sorry thanks for playing

Reply #840485 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Perth Arena - your posting is very balanced, you do know you are on a sporting forum it is somewhat unexpected!

Reply #840488 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Dont know what camera angle you saw that replay but it didn't look like Moller was tripped at all. It was a poor foul and however harsh the rule is they have been calling the unsportsmanlike foul pretty consistently this year.

Reply #840510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Luuuc for posting the link. Appreciated.

Reply #840529 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I didn't say he was tripped.

Reply #840547 | Report this post

Perth Arena  
Years ago

@Scout - Sorry, I'll try to be more one eyed!!

So because I'm a nerd... I scraped scoreboard.com. The closest I could come to the 4.6 figure was based on this season and last season, not including nbl cup.

It's entirely possible my methods and data are very suspect. If people actually care I'll publish them.

Praying to the Gods of formatting that this table looks ok.

Average foul differential at home games for 2020-2021 season (minus nbl cup) and 2019-2020 season.
Full Game Three Quarters
PER -4.52173913 -2.782608696
SYD -3.47826087 -2.826086957
ADE -2.227272727 -1.181818182
MEL -0.842105263 -0.157894737
BRI -0.090909091 -0.454545455
SOU -0.052631579 -0.947368421
CAI 0.608695652 0.130434783
ILL 0.764705882 1.470588235
BRE 1.133333333 2.666666667

Reply #840553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thus why I questioned him not naming the second and third most advantaged team, it's bloody his. Lol. Where you at Kober????

Reply #840554 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

And the data for the first three quarters illustrate that his team have a higher foul differential at home compared to perth. Not sure where he gets the data that perths foul differential is more than the second and third teams combined?

Reply #840556 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Your data covers a different time span, it's hardly surprising that you got a different result.

Reply #840557 | Report this post

Perth Arena  
Years ago

You are correct Kobe, it is a different timespan. But I didn't really care so much about that, I wanted to see if the numbers supported his claim (and just to see if I could do it)

It's hard to know exactly what date he calculated his on, he'll have been sitting on the stats for a little while.

If you do the last 3 seasons, minus nbl cup, and minus all games after the 28th Feb (randomly chosen because Perth thrashed Sydney at home that day).
team fullDelta threeQuarterDelta
PER -4.717948718 -2.743589744
ADE -3.138888889 -2.25
SYD -2.578947368 -1.842105263
MEL -0.828571429 0.085714286
SOU-0.052631579 -0.947368421
ILL 0.068965517 0.655172414
BRI 0.459459459 0.27027027
CAI 0.583333333 0.027777778
BRE 0.620689655 1.551724138

Which ever date range you choose, the 3 quarter stats are much less dodgy looking.

Reply #840558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely the 4th quarter has to account for late game fouling. Perth is usually up, teams usually foul to stop the clock. It's really bloody obvious. Why doesn't a heap of other teams see the same bump? Because they have not been as consistently good for a long period of time.

Reply #840559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you implying that the team that won the last 2 titles is most likely to be the team in front at the end of games and most likely to be on the receiving end of late fouls? Sounds pretty far fetched.

Reply #840561 | Report this post

Knowall  
Years ago

Well done Perth Arena logic ar work. FYI another site that used by the NBL coaches http://hoopsdb.net/stats/

Reply #840566 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That would also require games to be close enough for the opposition to be in a fouling situation, and ignores the fact that clutch plays in a close fourth quarter are exactly the sort of thing that would most allow the crowd to sway a referee.

Reply #840568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is Perth 3 kings 0 . Kings need to win next week for their own sanity because they will be at home and can't blame the refs this time

Reply #840572 | Report this post

Perth Arena  
Years ago

Thanks Knowall, will check out hoopsdb

Quarter by quarter game stats seem to be really hard to find though!! I'll tidy up my code and submit it to the spatial jam github in case it’s useful to someone. Was a fun way to pass the United/Cairns game anyway...

Reply #840599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

$5000 fine and a one game suspension for Forde. The one game suspension and $3000 of the $5000 suspended for 12 months.

Reply #840603 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Top work Perth Arena... If I'm understanding it correctly Bris, Cairns n SEM were the ones fouling in the last qtr?

Reply #840621 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:30 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754