ME
Years ago

Goorjian expects both Simmons and Ingles to play in Tokyo

Goorjian has said in an article out today that he expects both Simmons and Ingles to play in Tokyo, regardless of if they make it to game 7 of the NBA Finals.

It is expected that they will vaccinate in the US, and will join the team, with one day to spare if necessary, for their Olympic tilt.

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/basketball/they-will-come-across-and-join-us-boomers-coach-brian-goorjian-on-ben-simmons-and-joe-ingles-playing-in-tokyo/news-story/00e8cc36b28a898facd1425b00a365bb?fbclid=IwAR2pGmJXX-HIBoYkK0v-3CQhwIhTcJAAkni5vcWnLWhdBnWDMlbERCUFy3M

I appreciate their commitment to the cause but my question is how will they bring those guys in with absolutely no playing time with the team?

Topic #48375 | Report this topic

Big Country  
Years ago

What would you prefer? Ben Simmons & Joe Ingles with no prep or Deng Adel & Mitch McCarron with 2 weeks of camp under them? Pretty easy decision dont you think?

Reply #842920 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Would still take Simmons and Ingles over some nbl duds .
That's worse case scenario in terms of their availability, they could be there sooner.
Other NBA guys like Mills and Baynes either won't make playoffs or get past first round.

Reply #842923 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

I'd still be gobsmacked if Simmons is there. Odds on he pulls out beforehand.

Reply #842924 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Oh yeah, easy decision. Any circumstance with Simmons and Ingles there is going to be better than any without them, no question. What I am asking is how would they go about integrating them?

Reply #842925 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

C Baynes/Humphries
F Landale/Kay
F Ingles/Broekhoff
G Mills/Thybulle
G Simmons/Delly

Benefit of the team over previous years is depth. Mills can focus on scoring, Broekhoff brings sharpshooting that we missed and means it's not all Ingles, Delly can slot in if we struggle on defence, Baynes and Humphries can benefit from Simmons passing.

We can play with speed, or slow down as required. We can play tall or small.

We can play physical v euros.

Only thing missing is athleticism against African sides - this is where athletic player like Thon Maker would be good option to fill 11/12th spots.

Reply #842929 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Thon Maker hasnt played in a long time so he wont be making the squad.

Reply #842932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I doubt the Olympics will be going ahead

Reply #842933 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Bolden must be a priority.

Reply #842934 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bolden hahahahahahah

Lolz

Dude ain't making the team

Reply #842937 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

If Simmons pulls out n it isn't injury related he could become one of the most hated Aussie athletes for the next three years.

Will also be interesting to see how he plays against zone defences. I'm guessing hel be playing 3/4/5 as well as 1.

Thon Maker isn't a real basketball player anyway, he's an athlete. As long as he's a bench player n knows how to set screens he should be in the team.

Reply #842938 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

No reason to play Simmons outside of 1 unless we go real small. Plenty of talented bigs there and you could slide Broekhoff to PF if you really want to be small.

Zoning on Simmons would open things up for Mills, Ingles, Broekhoff who could rain threes.

Last WC, we lacked:
#1 Depth - this time Aussies will have the most outside of USA
#2 Clean ball handling - Simmons! I doubt teams could trap the ball out of his hands either
#3 Shooting - Mills/Ingles/Delly aren't alone this time. Bringing in Broekhoff makes a big difference, and having Simmons in the team means Mills can focus on scoring and perhaps be more open
#4 Athleticism - Simmons has it, otherwise that’s where you focus a 12th spot. Only really necessary against athletic African teams. Spain/France/USA our roster matches up well already, vs Euros we have enough physical players to cope ie Baynes, Broekhoff and even Kay, Landale will be fine against it.

Based on above, if we add Goulding WC form into 11th spot, that helps us against your Spain/France/USA with "come in from the cold and shoot it with a hot hand" and “causes turnovers or disrupts through effort in limited time on the floor”, that would put the Boomers in a good position to handle just about anything, save for a Dreamteam.

Reply #842940 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I wouldn't pick Thon Maker .
Not sure if Exum should be picked either just because he is an "NBA
player.

Reply #842942 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Bolden hahahahahahah

Lolz

Dude ain't making the team

You're probably right, but Bolden mentions are mandatory in Boomers threads. Bolt was just doing what had to be done.

Reply #842943 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's a shame though - he had a prime opportunity to stay on the team last WC and looked as though with some hard work and effort he would be a gem with effort athleticism and defence.

Reply #842945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker, lmao.

Reply #842949 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"I doubt the Olympics will be going ahead"

Most recent news is that they're going to push it ahead regardless, even if it means no foreign fans are in the arenas. The public in Japan seem against holding the games but the Japanese government and IOC are hell bent on having them. I'd say they're going to go ahead.

"You're probably right, but Bolden mentions are mandatory in Boomers threads. Bolt was just doing what had to be done."

Bolden has shown his true colours. Who knows what might have become of the Boomers had he stayed with the team at the world cup? Landales play declined. Baynes was absolutely gassed by the bronze medal game. Bolden just didn't want to have to earn his spot, and it seems to me he actually would have had he stayed. I think you can keep his name crossed out after that.

-

I agree with KET. IF we have the team we could and should have, we're probably silver medal favourites. Ben Simmons alone elevates this team another level above anything we've ever had. We're going to have a team that is tough, experienced, and hungry.

Reply #842951 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

The Olympics will go ahead.

There's too much money, national prestige and snouts in troughs on the line for it to be cancelled, no matter what the people think.

Reply #842955 | Report this post

Olematey  
Years ago

Starters
Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Maker
Baynes

Bench
Delly
Thybulle
Broekhoff
Kay
Magnay
Exum
Creek

Reserves if someone withdraws
Goulding
Landale
Green
Humphries
McCarron
Motum

that would be my thoughts.
I think everyone writes Exum off to soon, he has so many injuries which is an issue but when healthy he is an elite defender, good playmaker and can light up his shot.... I really want him to get 1 crack at the olympics if healthy to prove himself, definitely wouldn't cut him on the basis of not being good enough for the team he surely is in the best team when healthy.

Reply #842956 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

The squad:

Baynes/Humphries/magnay/reath
Kay/landale/motum
Ingles/thybulle
Mills/broekhoff/Goulding/Green
Simmons/Delly/Exum/giddey

My team:

Baynes/Humphries
Landale/Motum
Ingles/Thybulle
Mills/Broekhoff/Goulding
Simmons/Delly/Giddey

Having the versatility of Simmons and his ability to play big gives you the flexibility to have more shooters and not have to pack up so much on big men. Baynes, Humphries, Landale and Simmons can play the 5 at a pinch depending what line ups you're rolling out. I'm usually not a fan of blooding kids at big tournaments, but the choice of third point guard is either between him and Exum, and I just cant imagine Exum being healthy long enough to make the team. It would be a pick up out of necessity rather than any specific want to use a spot in the 12 for development.

I think a fair question can be asked of Sobey at this rate as well. The guy has been a bucket all season. I don't think his prospects should be diminished by Lemanis' inability to use him at the world cup. If you're looking at those 11-12 spots, you could make a strong case for his scoring ability and tenacity off of the bench. With Exum's situation, Green frankly not ready, and Thybulle likely to take Cotton's naturalized spot, you have to have Giddey, Goulding and Sobey as the next in line for those last guard spots.

Reply #842957 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

"Not sure if Exum should be picked either just because he is an "NBA
player."

Let's be real, if Dante were in the NBL (and could stay on the court) he'd be putting up at least 15/5/5 and be a DPOY contender. A 6 foot 5, athletic combo guard who can play lockdown D is something the Boomers have never had. If healthy he's in.

Reply #842959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Delly
Cotton/Goulding
Broekhoff/creek
Maker
Humphries

Reserves
Exum
Green
Thybulle
Kay
Magnay

Reply #842960 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most recent news is that they're going to push it ahead regardless, even if it means no foreign fans are in the arenas.

Not the recent news I'm reading.

Reply #842961 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Exum is too much of a risk. Some players are just injury prone and that's the way he is. He'd play one game then get injured. Sure, anyone can get injured but the chances of it being him and it stunting the team is much much higher than anyone else. He's actually still out indefinitely due to calf injury. He'll come back and find himself out again for something else soon enough.

Reply #842962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum is still only 25, plenty of time still for him.

Reply #842965 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

You can't pick Exum he's way too injury prone, one year we picked him then he got injured and was out for the rest of the tournament.

Baynes/Humphries
Landale/Motum
Ingles/Thybulle
Mills/Broekhoff/Goulding
Simmons/Delly/Giddey

I would agree with most of that but one thing is clear this season is that Sobey is now in out best 12 and room has to be made for him. Broekhoff or Thybulle can drop out but we can't leave Sobey out he will tear it up at the Olympics if he gets court time. The man is hungry and taking names, he's turned into a killer.

Reply #842970 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I would even be okay with leaving Giddey out for Sobey this would likely be Sobey's last major tournament and Giddey has plenty of them left ahead of him.

Reply #842971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Maker goes might as well take Adel, Exum hasn't played in so long, hopefully the selection is of players who are playing and playing well and just not on media reputation. Reath has been in out of his Serbian side all season, when playing getting very little time, there team is at bottom of aba league.I for one is hoping that Cotton is available.

Reply #842974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^ second in aba, bottom in euro, he's still playing very limited minutes.

Reply #842976 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I would put McCarron in ahead of Goulding, but not as a PG.

Both can create opportunities, carry the ball, and rebound. Goulding gives you hot and cold shooting, and can be brilliant when allowed to be. McCarron has a fairly reliable shot, is a better defender, and gives a bit of mongrel that we might need against some of the more physical sides.

Reply #842983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We're picking sobey and Giddey ahead of Cotton? Ok then...

Reply #842993 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Simmons, Dellavedova
Mills, Thybulle
Ingles, Broekhoff
Landale, Motum
Baynes, Humphries

How to fill the 11/12 spots is interesting.
Could go with
Guards. Sobey, Exum or Giddey.
Wings. Green or Creek.
Bigs. Kay or Magnay .

Sobey should be in, I rate him over Goulding or McCarron.

Adel, Thon Maker, Norton, McDowell White and Reath should not be considered.

Reply #842995 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Giddey should focus on the draft which is July 29th, he will be there in 2023 WC and 2024 Olympics.

Reply #842996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Creek is ineligible

Reply #843002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Liv Alice Simmons rumored to be in the running for the Boomers Psych job

Reply #843008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum to play sf role.

Reply #843009 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"If Maker goes might as well take Adel"

There is no universe where Adel makes this team. He has been literally woeful this season and it's gone on too long to forgive or overlook.

"We're picking sobey and Giddey ahead of Cotton? Ok then..."

Umm... no we're picking Thybulle over Cotton. You can only have one naturalized player.

Reply #843041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching Adel shows how different nba is to all world basketball, you just don't get the space. USA when there stars got can get away with it because of size and athleticism, as the last World Cup showed, it gets a lot closer when there second and third sides go.

Reply #843042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maker hasn't done bugger all in the nba, why would we take him. Where is he playing, at least Adel is having a go in nbl. Maker is under the doona. Neither should go .

Reply #843047 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

To me McDowell White was just making up the numbers in the squad.
After tonight he is looking legit.

Reply #843057 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Serious question but how good of a trainer is Adel?

Could he get in the squad due to be outstanding during scrimmages and brings constant effort at training and an understanding of plays ala Kay last World Cup?

Judging by the way he's played in the NBL this season, I'm not sure that he knows the plays that Goorj runs now but best of luck to him.

I'd take Cotton over Thybulle as a floor spacer as we have great defenders already throughout

Reply #843063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm... no we're picking Thybulle over Cotton. You can only have one naturalized player.

Zodiacs team had neither of them, but he had Sobey and Giddey.

In any case, picking Thybulle over Cotton is just as dumb. We need scorers, not defenders.

Reply #843066 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We need both. Need to be able to beat who you face and can't get away with a cheeky loss.

Reply #843072 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

It's easier for Thybulle to take the naturalized spot considering Cotton isn't a citizen yet.

Reply #843075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am sure he is going to be naturalised well before the Olympics.

But if Simmons is only going to join the team late and there are already question marks over how he'll fit in, how would bringing Thybulle in make sense who has never played with any of the squad before? At least Cotton can train with the team in Australia before the Olympics start.

Reply #843083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton over Thybulle every time. You want to take a defender take McCarron who plays both ends.
Goorj is not playing Adel because he doesn't understand plays or plays D.
Simmons is a must with all our previous players, Mills, Delly etc, beware of choosing players with no experience outside the nba, fiba is a different game to nba.

Reply #843086 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"But if Simmons is only going to join the team late and there are already question marks over how he'll fit in, how would bringing Thybulle in make sense who has never played with any of the squad before? At least Cotton can train with the team in Australia before the Olympics start.

"

Yeah there's some validity to that point.

Reply #843092 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

People need to cut their obsession with Cotton.

If he made it to the team, he wouldn't get many minutes anyway - he’s not a top 10 Australian talent once he becomes Australian and he’d be outsized vs Euro teams.

Those last couple of spots need to go to players that will be fit in a very tough particular criteria: it might be athleticism to combat African side if we have one in our group or it might be someone who can be an X factor in very limited minutes and fit into the flow without being disruptive to the system. Goulding pleasantly has surprised in that role in the past - its an extremely hard thing to do no matter how good you are.

McCarron is not the type - you want JR Smith style X factor "can go hot" not a player that’s more consistent but without that offensive firepower. Consistency is what you want/need from your top 8 players that receive regular minutes and rotations.

It’s about fitting the bill, we will hopefully be in the luxurious position to make these decisions instead of having to chuck the top players in without thought of how it fits together. That’s what teams with less depth have to do.

Back Cotton to lead a Commonwealth Games Boomers squad, for sure. If some players drop out of Olympics, then there’s every reason he could grab a top 12 spot, just not in a full squad right now.

Reply #843094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You want someone who can come on play great D, hopefully be able to guard forward and guards and get a few points if required while team mates rest.

Reply #843095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

On Cotton for 2022 commonwealth games, you would expect top NBA guys to be unavailable but fringe NBA guys, Euro, ncaa and nbl guys wanting to make claims for 2023 World cup and 2024 Olympics might want to participate in comm games.

Reply #843206 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

As pointed out in the other thread Sobey isn't in the squad ( he should be!) thus is ineligible.

A shame he is potentially good enough for final 12.

Reply #843261 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I wouldn't expect to see Simmons, Thybulle etc available in any event that isn’t the Olympics.

Gone will be the days of Bogut, Mills, Ingles, Delly, Baynes making themselves available as much as possible for the Boomers.

Sad times!

Reply #843268 | Report this post

Chillbaby  
Years ago

Legit question - does anyone know why Sobey didn't make squad? Having a career year and could be a hot hand off the bottom of bench. Also would bring a lot of intensity to training etc. Just putting it out there. Also - surprised not more support for Cotton (citizenship aside) - I do think Thybulle would have some sort of combination with Simmons but not sure if he is right fit. Boomers have never really lacked defensive combinations and intensity - something that Thybulle would also bring - however we have regularly lacked world class shooting when someone like Joe or Patty struggle due to being overplayed/having off night. To me Cotton would be ideal backup to come off bench and put up a few shots - regardless of his height would still be able to make his own shot against the long Euros... not a Perth fan (or hater!) - just feel he could make an invaluable contribution

Reply #843469 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"As pointed out in the other thread Sobey isn't in the squad ( he should be!) thus is ineligible.

A shame he is potentially good enough for final 12."

That can literally change any moment. If Sobey keeps playing the way he is there is nothing stopping him from being put in the squad, and I'd be astounded if he didn't make it by the end of the season.

"Legit question - does anyone know why Sobey didn't make squad? "

I think the squad was released about 5 minutes before Sobey started ripping the league a new asshole.

Reply #843497 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

not a Perth fan (or hater!)

Your kind are on the endangered species list.

Reply #843526 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think the squad was released about 5 minutes before Sobey started ripping the league a new asshole.

Hence why he's been ripping the league a new arsehole, he's pissed about being left out but yeah he'll be added to the squad after the season and likely on the roster at Tokyo.

Reply #843530 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey has been great, he requires a lot of ball though, I'm not convinced he’ll make the squad. I think they will take 3/4 players that require most of the ball and absolute team players next.

Reply #843533 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Nah he'll be on the team he's perfect for times when the offence dries up. He's got the height and athleticism to shoot over longer and more athletic defenders at the international level, he's developed a pretty good 3pt shot and can even help out at the point for a bit.

Reply #843537 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think Sobey's defence and tenacity does just enough to put him on the team. Offensively, Cotton's got a bit of an edge, but I don't see Cotton hustling on D the way Sobey can.

Reply #843574 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Remove Deng Adel to include Sobey.

Reply #843580 | Report this post

Yup  
Years ago

Baynes
Simmons/Landale
Ingles/Broekoff
Mills/Cotton
Delly/Exum

IMO there's a couple of big spots up for grabs and a guard spot.

We always run out of offense at the end of big tournaments, that’s why I’m going with Cotton’s offense over Thybells’s D

Delly starts and guards the Pg, plays plenty off ball

Reply #844671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum, has talent but no way can he go, injuries have stopped him.

Reply #844687 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Heal's squad:

He highlights blooding youth to take over for the likes of Patty, Delly, Baynes

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/olympics/shane-heals-plea-for-boomers-to-consider-the-future-in-tokyo-olympic-squad/news-story/679d8a562ebebecaa1bb4eb127c97633

Ben Simmons
Patty Mills
Joe Ingles
Aron Baynes
Matthew Dellavedova
Ryan Broekhoff
Jock Landale
Matisse Thybulle
Nick Kay
Josh Giddey
Josh Green
Will Magnay

Question id ask is, how far is that from the optimal Boomers side? Obviously you don’t want to take a hit when pursuing gold (silver).

Is there enough shooting there? I don’t really know what Josh Green is like.

When you look at those that would miss out - we know can’t have Cotton if we have Thybulle, Exum appears out for rest of the NBA season so he won’t be in game shape, Thon Maker hasn’t played in a little while.

Maybe it’s not a bad idea because it’s not a huge drop? But it is very game to be blooding three very young players - leaves you with 9 to rely on when things get tough.

Reply #846161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Ingles
Landale
Baynes

Delly
Goulding/Green
Thybulle/creek
Maker, Kay, cooks or Motum. 1 of.
Humphries

Based on the actual list and current form, you'd have to say only backup pf spot is up for debate.

Not making it for sure
Adel
Wmw
Mccarron
Norton
Magnay

Very Slim chance
Exum - injured a lot
Giddey - lack of exp
Broekhoff - not very versatile
Reath - lack of exp/gametime
Cotton - not listed

Reply #848893 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:55 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754