Kobe, you said it yourself, there's a pandemic. Things change, and I reckon the last fortnight in WA probably exposed the risks a bit more and they decided they didn't want to put their club in that position
It's absolutely a valid concern that there could be an outbreak either here or in Melbourne at a time that costs a team the chance to participate, and potentially adds hotel quarantine costs to the travel bill. Which is why I made my earlier comment. That risk hasn't really changed, but I can understand the past week or two having brought it to the forefront of some minds.
That said: there's zero reason not to communicate that to the parents and players involved in the team. Further to that, as far as I know all the travel and such is paid for by the families, not by the club, so what does the club actually stand to lose? I don't think it would be nothing, but it's also not an entire team's travel bill. If it's concern over potential quarantine or the loss of the tournament, or both, then surely it should be put to the parents to have them make the decision?
Given that they had the tournament postponed from its previous date, and were still included as of a week ago, all this stuff about focusing on other things and the broader direction of the club really doesn't seem to have anything to do with it. You don't make a change that drastic overnight, and there's no reason you can't focus on the older kids and