Jack Toft
Years ago

Illawarra v Adelaide May 11

Wow! Illawarra had a rest in Round 17, but Adelaide kept their slim finals chances alive with a stirring win over the Kings. I'm starting to get giddy with all the triple doubles Josh has racked up.

Frontline workers are honoured tonight with the Hawks, and Media Watch's favourite media outlet, The Illawarra Mercury, uniting to pay tribute to them. Congratulations to them.

Illawarra seem poised for a good season and then they had the traditional Adelaide-esq mid-season slump, at least the Sixers had an excuse with Humphries out. Could the Sixers go 2-0 on the Premier State Double? The battle is going to be won on the bench, a'right?

Topic #48473 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This should be an excellent game, Adelaide playing very well and should be confident after come from behind win against kings. Illawarra have done well most of the season and Goorj will have them prepared.im not certain hawks got same talent that Sixers have got at present. Giddey, Humphries, Paul, Johnson should be to strong for what hawks can throw at them.

Sixers by 12.

Reply #847566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Super important game. Sixers move into 5th with a win. Hawks stay in 5th with a win.

Reply #847567 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide can only drop one game for the rest of their fixture if they want to be in the mix to make 4th spot.

Reply #847568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coenraad factor.

Reply #847571 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Bit of talk that this will be Giddey's last game possibly, and he'll start preparing for the NBA draft...

Reply #847572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last game? Who said that?

Reply #847573 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Coenraad out of retirement to replace Bairstow. Whether he gets meaningful minutes is another thing though.

Reply #847575 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

It's been commented on since he's basically now a lock for the lottery, the talk is he'll play this game because there is a scout who'll be at the game, I hope he finishes the season, but looking like they want to preserve him in case of injury. I'm not mad about it, but a little disappointed that these things happen, it's more of a step to the NBA now than a professional league.

Reply #847583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Van wrongagain on radio talking up excuses around tiredness and lack of physicality (and for first time ever forgot to blow wind up owners date). Could be interesting!

Reply #847584 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Coenraad out of retirement to replace Bairstow

Was Oscar out surfing when they rang?

Reply #847592 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Giddy has openly said he will play the season out.

Reply #847595 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Giddy has openly said he will play the season out."

When there's a minimum of 12 million on the line (3 year rookie deal), I think his agent and family will be giving him the tap on the shoulder.

Reply #847596 | Report this post

';'  
Years ago

Since when does a teenager listen to his parents?

Reply #847599 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Fascinating game, I'll be keenly watching.

Adelaide back to full strength(?), are hitting their straps and desperately need this W to keep their flickering playoff hopes alive.

Hawks just as desperate to get a W to maintain their spot. Bummer the game is on a Tuesday night (come on NBL) which means the crowd turnout will likely be sparse.

Reply #847602 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Sixers are playing a much more positive and aggressive game of basketball lately but the Hawks need to win this more than we do as they're legit playoff contenders so I think being in the Gong they'll be up and about.

Hawks by 7

Reply #847676 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

If the Sixers are serious about making the playoffs, these are the types of games they must win.

Hopefully Dech can contain Harvey, Humphries to own the middle and Pinder to stay on the bench for as long as possible.

Reply #847678 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Unfortunately NBL cup they dug too deep of a hole

Reply #847684 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

God I hate those rings

Reply #847695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Atrocious offensive foul call on DJ. How can NBL refs be this bad?

Reply #847697 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Soft call to send DJ to the bench.

Reply #847698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And that was not an offensive foul on Ogilvy. No league in the world calls more offensive fouls than the NBL it's a joke.

Reply #847699 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Lol pinder

Reply #847700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs already decided they want their screen time this is unwatchable

Reply #847701 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Let them play"

Refs “no”

Reply #847702 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Yeah with all the promise this game had, refs pretty much f***ed it for Q1.

DJ getting his second was a death knell for the Sixers, I hope they can make it back up when he returns to court.

Reply #847707 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide playing stupid-ball.

They need to be aware of what Illawarra are doing, don't past across, it’s like kicking across goal in football, these guys are intercepting.

Reply #847708 | Report this post

Uncle Phil  
Years ago

This early refereeing has been disgraceful but with the narcissistic Mayberry in charge, you can't really expect much better.

Reply #847709 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Crap adjusting by Adelaide, literally throwing it away every offensive possession.

Inexcusable turnover count - adjust adjust adjust!

Reply #847710 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

This is on Henry for allowing the team to try the same thing that is not working.

11 turnovers in 10 minutes.

Well done.

Reply #847711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does coach Henry ever shut up! He is basically telling the hawks defenders what is coming next, or where we want to try and score or what the play is etc... it's mind boggling!

Is this what he is like every game? I haven’t heard him picked up on the effects mic like this before

Reply #847712 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Percentages averaging out

Reply #847713 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Great comeback

Reply #847714 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

10-0 run to start the second.

Reply #847715 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Would be great if the rings made a 'Boing' noise after each miss instead.

Reply #847716 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

15-0

Reply #847717 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's uglier - Adelaides first quarter or the sound of the rings?

Reply #847718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What a farce! Good scoring one 1/4 & rubbish the next.
Who wins? Toss a count. There's no rhyme or reason as to who wins in the NBL

Reply #847719 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Terrible quarter for the Hawks 11-28.

Sixers up 38-34 at the half.

Reply #847720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have to go back to Clarke days when I was ever as disinterested in the Sixers

Reply #847721 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah 36ers more interesting when they're run and gun.

This year when they do run and gun they get hammered by the opposition, Clarke days they slowed it down and tried doing complicated offence that nobody could do so they ran around like headless chickens. Only time they played well was vs Perth because Perth would trap and force them to play on talent instead of tactics.

Next year I hope Adelaide brings back that entertaining 36ers style.

Reply #847724 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BP hasn't touched the ball once in the second half...

Reply #847730 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Waste of time reviewing the Pinder foul. Ugh.

Reply #847731 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

In real time I thought it looked reviewable.
Replay showed it was nothing.

Reply #847732 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Stop showing the bloody crowd

Reply #847733 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Swingy random blowouts every quarter and yet the overall score is so low. NBL you're ugly at the moment.

Reply #847734 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

If it's Giddey's last game, he's looking appropriately distracted at times by the decision.

These rings sound horrible on a miss.

Adelaide not exactly playing like it's a close game coming down to the wire.

Reply #847735 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Someone hit a shot woooooooo!!!!

Reply #847736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dech & DJ lost this

Reply #847737 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

extra pass

Reply #847738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey lazy as hell today

Reply #847739 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Missed free throws cost you games. Adelaide did not miss any against Sydney. Dech has been poor and yes Johnson not at his best.

Reply #847741 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Could've played Dillon to close the game instead of Giddey.

Reply #847742 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Just horrible down the stretch. Giddy real bad at the end here, Paul hardly touching the thing and no Crocker who had the hot hand.

Reply #847743 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers season done.

Bai Giddey, 'twas fun

Reply #847744 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

This was an ugly game but the quality of refereeing in the NBL is deplorable. These refs call the game like it's the u der 12’s playing.

Reply #847745 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I agree, those rings are not appealing to viewers.

I reckon that's Adelaide's playoff hopes dusted. And with that, Giddey won't be far off calling it a day one would think.

Reply #847746 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ugly game, but the benefit from it is no more Sixers playoffs talk except for the truly deluded.

Reply #847747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers gone, hawks to play finals.

Reply #847748 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

That will be Giddey's last game I think you are right

Reply #847749 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Connor Henry burning Adelaide's last timeout before the Hawks' final possession, giving them a free chance to set up a play and depriving Adelaide of the chance to advance the ball after the inevitably free throws, was possibly the dumbest decision I have ever seen anybody make.

Reply #847750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way Giddey played, it looked like he has his mind elsewhere, which is understandable.

Reply #847751 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm not surprised.

Reply #847752 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

You can't turn the ball over 25 times and expect to win a game.

Reply #847753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conner Henry is sooooooooo unimpressive as a coach. Love to know who in their right mind appointed him.

Reply #847755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Sixers have the basis of a good team, a few tweaks and they should be formidable next season. Paul was crap today with a few others. No excuse but they did play Sunday.

Reply #847756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looos like Van Wrongagain was right this time. Hawks too, big, tough and good. Assume he's in the bad books with narcissistic owner for not randomy praising him in his radio interview this week.

Reply #847759 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Actually was that Giddey's first game in front of the scouts? If so, he'll probably play at least once more.

Reply #847763 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

66 points in a game. Well done Sixers.

Now we have to win every game and hope other results go our way.

Reply #847764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm trying to like Brandon Paul. At first I thought it was crappy coaching, but now feel he’s just another cheap sizers recruit. Until we start to spend, we’ll be condemned to ordinariness, as per all year under Grant Kelley’s ownership.

Reply #847765 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

If Giddeys a competitor he won't walk away from that being his last game this season. If that’s the lasting impression you’re going to leave on scouts you’re walking a fine line.

Reply #847766 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Brandon Pail has a very low basketball iq hedges his bets on the defensive end takes Ill advised shots all the time.

Reply #847767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Henry rates Teys and Mudronja lowly, why does he even bother travelling them. Joke of a coach. Joke of a club

Reply #847768 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While 36ers not the big spenders of the NBL, don't think they are at cheap end either. Think more just that owner puts too much faith in silver younger JVG, who is infamous for burning cash for little reward, for a year or two until is forced on to next club

Reply #847769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brandon Paul is just an good honest battler who's probably paid about what he’s worth for a handful of points per game.

Reply #847770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Henry doesn't miss free throws, Henry doesn’t let open layups happen because nba players don’t play defence. Most Sixers players have got better, Dech, Giddey, Paul weren’t good today, it happens, even Humphries was a little down, it might the pressure of nba scouts and wanting to impress more than the coaching.

Reply #847774 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

28 points in the second half is just embarrassing.

DJ & Paul are meant to be our two big scorers and they both went missing tonight. Paul's a limited player, poor defence, ordinary shot selection and can't get to the hole enough. Hopefully he won't be back next season.

DJ's bad offensive games are starting to become a more regular occurrence now so hoping we do the right thing next season and bring him off the bench and focus on Humphries.

Crocker is starting to find his groove off the bench and as a cheap import I wouldn't mind seeing him back next season, certainly a better cheapie for us than Ramone Moore was. The question will be whether it's two imports again next season or back to three.

Reply #847775 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

If it's two imports I hope we send bot Paul and Crocker back. If it’s 3, and I can’t believe I’m saying this, then I guess Crocker will be ok.
But we need a gun import pg to replace Giddey and a quality swingman/wing that can score and defend.

Reply #847776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers have scorers, need a tough 4 that plays good D, can pass, rebound and score when required. McVeigh should be tried in the 2 spot for rest of season, he's been a big improver. Humphries to start in 5 and Johnson off bench. Dech is a good player but off bench.

Reply #847778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imports have been a bust this season, full stop. All three of them. Owner needs to ensure this does not happen again, or will be yet another wasted year for 36ers.

Reply #847779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crocker really is a 'Barry'! Nowhere near up to it for an import.

Reply #847780 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Dech has been one of our best player this season he guards the opposition's best guard every game which is why he's stuffed on the offensive end.

Reply #847781 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Rest of season Mud Humpty Pinder McVeigh let's see what these dudes can do.. it's about next year NOW... even Teys and Dillo - any legs left in vets... it's discovery time ....

Reply #847782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh fawn next year. Does not rate Henry or JVG.

Reply #847784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't think there has ever been a year where team has been spoken up so much ( mainly Jess van wrong again, and partly owner), yet so little delivered. Not sure how much more of this I can take.

Reply #847785 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

What to see a future plan. Team goals not individual goals .. f...NBA.. Want hope ...

Reply #847786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yer, less about one person making nba, and more about our crap club making playoffs while we're still alive

Reply #847787 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What you're only 3 years old? lol

Reply #847790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"The way Giddey played, it looked like he has his mind elsewhere, which is understandable." Why would that be? If he's mind is elsewhere he ain't doing his job!Pretty simple really. No excuses should be made for him. A shame if true. Clearly mentally he isn't tough enough to take pressure it seems.

Reply #847796 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Clearly mentally he isn't tough enough to take pressure it seems."

Isn't he only 18? About to be drafted into the NBA. Yes he's playing in a professional league and maybe a be distracted...for what it likely going to be the biggest event of his so far short life.

Reply #847803 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

No friendly rolls from those rings at all.
In hindsight - more Crocker and less Paul - wouldda won.

Reply #847804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was ridiculous of Conner to sit Crocker for so long when he was 5/7 from deep. What was even more ridiculous was to put him in for the last play and actually draw something up for the guy. Just dumb

Reply #847824 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bit of an over-reaction in this thread.

The problem Adelaide has is consistency, DJ is the most consistent - but yes he had a crap night. Giddey has been consistent, yep he had a crap night.

Pinder, Crocker have been ultra-inconsistent - however, both have started to find their groove.

Humphries is getting back into things after a substantial stint injured.

Paul has been gradually getting into the system and improving.

If you look at Adelaide's last 6-8 games, they have played some of the best basketball going around, albeit inconsistently.

Going into next year, they need someone who can replace Giddey, that's probably an import.

Keep Humphries, if they can't, they're in trouble.

This year they have been 1 defensive big down, I don't know what decent Aussie options there are, but a defensive big coming off the bench using an import slot might be the go.

I think Paul with continuity can be big next season. Crocker off the bench the way he has played recently, I wouldn't complain, however, the import slots are already used and we should have McVeigh receiving more minutes.

C Humphries/Defensive Import
F DJ/Pinder
F Paul/McVeigh
G Dech/Rigoni
G Import (Passing type)/Dillon or Mud

Continuity/chemistry + development + a few tweaks to fill holes (defensive big, shooter (Rags))

Reply #847837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree KET, that would be the team id be aiming for too

Reply #847839 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Although it Sotto is the "backup big" that means your third import slot is there to cover for an injury to an Aussie or if IH doesn't return

Reply #847840 | Report this post

Shano76  
Years ago

Are there going to be three imports though?

Reply #847847 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No reason to believe there won't be.

Reply #847848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All indications from how NBL media and the commentators are talking is it will be 3 imports again.

To put NBL names to the imports to KET team I'd love to see something like

C Humphries/Ashley/Sato
F DJ/Pinder
F Paul/McVeigh
G Dech/Rigoni
G Sykes/Dillon

Reply #847853 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It will likely be a delayed start to the season again, if this season finishes in say July no way will they be able to start next season in October factor in a month or so for training camp & pre-season games no way they give the players only a 1.5/2 month offseason.

So if you factor in the start of next season will be delayed again and the terrible Covid-affected crowds this season I think it's likely to only be two imports again next season.

Hopefully it will be back to 3 imports but I doubt it.

Reply #847860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not convinced the third imports are required, most have been average at best.

Reply #847864 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

All the chatter coming out has been three imports but hey it's COVID times nothing is certain

Reply #847865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:51 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754