Anonymous
Years ago

NBL1 Central week 7 preview

Bit late with previews this week, had day off from work, so boss couldn't think I was doing this and thought I was hard at work.
Had a few lucky tips the first few rounds, but been off a bit lately. Sturt have small gap at top being undefeated, but a big logjam with a lot of teams 4-2 or 3-3. Eastern as most thought looked destined for wooden spoon, only interest is if they can win a game. North pulled the chequebook out, but couldn't purchase a win against Centrals, pun intended. Time is fast running out for them to have some chance at making late surge to playoffs. Anyway, here we go.

Norwood vs Sturt
Can't really say anything about Sturt as usual. Just keep doing what they do and winning. Norwood got upset by Southern last week, but looking at previous rounds, they squeaked past Forestville, lost to West, beat South by 1 and had the bye vs Eastern. So are they serious contenders or pretenders. Have maybe best player in Turnage, next few weeks should see where they stand. Have to go with Sturt. And will be interesting to see an "NBA" coach go against regular old Coach Rigoni.

South vs Forestville
South has rebounded well after a couple of hiccups in rounds 3 and 4. Speaking of rebounding, Panther faithful might have thought the Chairman, Mark Davis, was out there last week against Woodville. Starlings 37 points and 20 rebounds a huge individual performance. Have no idea about the record books and someone will probably point out if there has been, but I wonder when the last time someone put up a 30-20 game? I think Alex might poll a few Woollacott votes in that game.
Forestville is on a 2 games losing streak, but both single digit losses to Sturt and Woodville. Mays and Brine will have to be at their best to control Starling. But can't see anyone containing Harris and Andy will coach circles around Petty, so will take the Eagles in this one

Southern vs North
The Cinderella team at the moment in Southern vs the very disappointing North team would probably have been a meh game looking at the schedule before the season started. Big questions are, can Southern keep it up and can North pay their way to get a crucial win. A few head scratching moves in the final quarter allowed Centrals to send game into overtime when it looked like the Rockets had it in the bag. Will probably come down to if anyone from north stops being a spectator when Purchase has the ball and steps up. But this is a must win game for Southern to consolidate their spot for finals. Amazing how Dean left the previously big spending Tigers to go to another big spending club, but Tigers well ahead in terms of great teamwork. Southern for me.

West vs Woodville
West actually looked like they enjoyed playing together, but that would happen for anyone playing the Washington Generals, I mean the Eastern Mavericks. Somehow they have managed to get to 3-3, despite looking terrible most of the season. Can that confidence continue going up against probably the most talented team in the competition.
Woodville had just one job to do last week, and they had the bodies to do it. Contain Starling! But as mentioned he puts up a huge night in anyone's eyes. In a battle of the hot seat coaches, Petty came up trumps, don't think anyone would have heard that sentence before. Woodville should win, but wouldn't surprise me if Corey gets the Bearcats fired up for this one.

Eastern vs Central
If a game had a yawn emoji, this would be the one. Unless Centrals manage to totally self destruct, the Lions should win by 20 plus. Even thinking about this game is making me sleepy, Lions easily.

Topic #48495 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're not late, you're a week early.
No games this weekend.

Reply #848100 | Report this post

NBL1CentralWoj  
Years ago

Hahaha, lmao, thanks. Sometimes I'm a real genius. Anyway, will stay same for next week. Now boss will think my Friday productivity has gone down.

Reply #848103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you please explain what facts you have to say North are a big spending NBL1 Club?

Reply #848115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Purchase
Sunday Debt
Jack McPay

Reply #848116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack Purchase is playing for free

Reply #848117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And Jack and Sunday are only playing half a season. Turnage, Starling, Mays and Brine are costing more plus probably others.

Reply #848118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They do also have two imports and an interstate player.

Reply #848119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two imports. Now I know you have no idea!

Reply #848124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one said they are paying the most but they are spending!

Reply #848128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two Sixers, two interstate players plus an import - they have spent. No shame in it as it's proven successful for Dean in the past.

Reply #848133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was meant to read: one import and two interstate players. Typo.

Reply #848134 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Freaked me out for a sec, thought I had a game I needed to be at today

Reply #848139 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Freaked me out for a sec, thought I had a game I needed to be at today

Reply #848140 | Report this post

NBA Coach  
Years ago

Can't wait to see "NBA" coach against Rigoni, surely that was tongue in cheek, , Malat easily the least qualified coach in SA against one of the best in Rigoni. The only thing holding Norwood together is $$.

Reply #848400 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rigoni is by far the best coach in this league
Just watch how his team plays

Reply #848410 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How did all the games go? There is no discussion about this league

Reply #849302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Petty was less than ordinary again. Seriously the door person taking tickets at Marion could step in and do a better job.

Reply #849328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A few interesting results really

Sturt again showing their class 20 points over Norwood. Rigoni winning the coaching battle hands down.

Forestville simply overpowered South. Petty had no answers for Simons game plan and it showed.

Southern keep getting it done as the dark horse. North with Purchase still struggled.

West showing that the Woodville imports aren't enough alone. No Boonstoppel no Woodville.

Centrals had way too much talent for the Mavs as expected despite the inclusions leading Eastern all night. COTY Rogers is not it would seem.

Reply #849343 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rojo wont win a game.No players and a dud coach

Reply #849379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rojo will get more tech's for the season than wins I reckon! I honestly couldn’t believe his carry on in the game I saw.

Reply #849394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern are desperate as no one would touch them! So desperation leads to desperate measures = Rojo. It wont last if they want to be taken seriously.

Reply #849396 | Report this post

NBL1CentralWoj  
Years ago

Will be doing the power rankings and bit of a write-up later. But comments so far seem on the mark.

Reply #849399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5/5 on the predictions Woj not a bad effort. Seems Whitmore and Petty at it for coach of the year again in 2021

Reply #849414 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754