RobT
Years ago

NBL1 North - Results Round1

I have been waiting for this, the start of our NBL1 North season, 2021. What a let down.

As is usual, in Qld, we start with local rivalries. So we (USC Ripcity) played our local rivals, the Sunshine Coast Phoenix, and were soundly beaten in both women's and mens' games. Their mens, team is much closer to full strength than ours, but honestly, that's just an excuse. They await Jarrod Bairstow's availability while we are waiting on Krebbs and Krslovic and possibly one other whom we're still chasing. The absence of Josh Tueta is due to a 4-game suspension from a pre-season game, to start the season. Oh well!

Won't go into game-stats and who did what, suffice it to say they did it all and we didn't!

The silver lining is that we have no option but to get better.

Friday's game, nearly a local rivalry, featured Townsville v Makay. Flames and Heat (both Townsville) got the double over Meteorettes and Meteors by 4 and 3 points respectively. I should have watched those games!

Bunch of other games from today onwards and would be great if fans of those teams told of their games.

Topic #48500 | Report this topic

Ben  
Years ago

Still makes me sad that USC and Phoenix are competing against each other Rob. What a fantastic squad of locals if they joined together. Alas.

Reply #848224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sd vs logan gf women
Phoenix vs red city gf men

Reply #848227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Cairns Mackay men's game tonight started like it was going to blow out and turned into a cracker. Little less hero ball from Deba George and Cairns might've got it over the line. The Stattman's have got some freaky basketball DNA.

Reply #848296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kendle with a triple double on debut with logan

Reply #848302 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Still makes me sad that USC and Phoenix are competing against each other Rob. What a fantastic squad of locals if they joined together. Alas."

Ben, are you aware that the 2 teams will be 1 next year?

NBL1 North team will be called USC Phoenix. Ripcity will still be part of all other BQ comps, as will Noosa and Caloundra. So we will end up with 4 sets of rep teams, 2 QSL teams and 1 NBL1 North team on the Sunniest Coast!

From Wikipedia:
The phoenix is a long-lived bird associated with Greek mythology (with analogs in many cultures) that cyclically regenerates or is otherwise born again. Associated with the sun, a phoenix obtains new life by arising from the ashes of its predecessor.

If we can work against each-other together, the USC Phoenix will fulfill this myth.

Reply #848307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the new 22 teams?

Reply #848308 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Rob, are you serious about 2022?

If so, that is great news. USC is an excellent venue, and I'd be eager to watch the amalgamated group go around. Your boys, the Meehls, Robateaus, Nelson and everyone else (too bust to think of other names). Wow.

Reply #848313 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

That's the word.

Reply #848316 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

OK! 'nough about the Sunshine and roses Coast.

Any other news on weekend games?

Reply #848317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

North gc the only new team next year?

Reply #848318 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Kendle is class at this level and very serviceable in NBL too.

Reply #848319 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Possible that Darwin is a new entrant next year.

I would doubt that the Seahawks join back but I haven't heard anything either way.

Reply #848328 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard the Seahawks in NBL1 North nest year.

Reply #848354 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol. Next * year.

Reply #848355 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think south is expecting 3-4 teams, gambier back to central, north 1 more, 1 less. West look set except for 2 women's teams.

Reply #848356 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754