BeeGee
Years ago

Giddey has played last game with 36ers

Hungry Jack's NBL Commissioner Jeremy Loeliger has congratulated NBL Next Star Josh Giddey on his outstanding season for the Adelaide 36ers and wished him well for the NBA Draft in July.

"Josh, the Club and the NBL have made the collective decision that it’s in his best interests to finish his season now and start preparing for the NBA Draft and he leaves with our best wishes for what will be a very exciting career ahead of him.

"His workload in his rookie season has been immense and given how quickly the NBA Draft is approaching, we are all supportive of Josh taking the opportunity to refresh and prepare for the workouts ahead of him.

“At just 18, he has demonstrated that he is an incredible talent and it’s not surprising that most experts are predicting he will be a first round draft pick. He became the youngest Australian to record a triple double in the NBL and has impressed everyone with his maturity on and off the court. He is not just a fantastic young basketballer but a terrific young man and he will be a great ambassador for Australia on the international stage.

“Josh will become the latest NBL Next Star to join the NBA after LaMelo Ball, RJ Hampton, Brian Bowen Jr and Didi Louzada and there’s no doubt his season in the NBL has helped develop his game and prepare him for the next stage of his career.

“His success has only heightened interest in the Next Stars program and we are currently canvassing potential candidates for next season and hope to be in a position to make some exciting announcements soon."

Topic #48507 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Detroit is very interested

Reply #848416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you are a team focused on finals , seems a bit risky to get these Next Stars as they just disappear when it suits them.

Reply #848418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smart move by 6ers to protect their investment. Smart move by the Giddeys to get him ready and ensure no injury risk leading into workouts. Where is he projected now? My gutfeel is top 10 pick....

Reply #848419 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

Seems like they've learned from the Mitch Creek conundrum?

Reply #848422 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

"If you are a team focused on finals , seems a bit risky to get these Next Stars as they just disappear when it suits them."

Whilst I agree (although all clubs should be focused on finals), you'd have to ask yourself (especially with Didi or Giddey level talent), would you be in the position you’re in without the next stars?

Specifically talking to the 36ers, I’d say no, they definitely wouldn’t be. So IMO it’s all a balancing act and risk:reward ratio.

Also IMO, Josh may have played further if the 6ers werent effectively out of finals conversation.

Reply #848423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How has the Next Stars program benefited Giddey? He was already NBL starter quality. Adding a label to that doesn't make the program a success.

Reply #848438 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"If you are a team focused on finals , seems a bit risky to get these Next Stars as they just disappear when it suits them."

At this point I feel like from the perspective of the clubs the risk is not worth the reward. Of all the next stars we've had, it's only really Giddey, Ball, Jessup, and Didi who have produced, and 3 of those guys have withdrawn during the season to the detriment of the team to focus on draft stock/actual NBA minutes, and one other (Jessup) I'm still not sure why he was a next star in the first place rather than just a rookie given he was signed before he was considered even a draft chance.

Reply #848439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Didi has produced at all compared to other imports the league has had in comparable situations.

Hampton was good but his draft stocks went way down after his time in the NBL.

Reply #848440 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/48503-kings-v-sixers-may-16/#p848233

Reply #848441 | Report this post

Anoon  
Years ago

Is there any way Adelaide can delay his departure and extract some money from someone? There must be a dollar in it for the Sixers somewhere.

Reply #848442 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Didi has produced at times, but injuries were the main thing that got in the way with him. He worked his way into form on multiple occasions, then would miss extended time to injury, work his way back into form, injury, and so on...

Reply #848451 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I think some people are overlooking the fact that Giddey, his people and the NBL likely chose Adelaide because we weren't expected to be a playoff team hence he could start and get force fed minutes much like LaMelo Ball at the Hawks last season.

Reply #848453 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Wish Giddey all the best in the draft.

His success there will further validate the NBL as a great destination.

Australia is a safe place to be.
We pay our wages as contracted.
We provide opportunities to develop , grow and showcase your skills.
NBL is a legit league.

Reply #848456 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

As mentioned above I agree that for a championship aspirant team, NS is a double edged sword.

Ultimately the NS is playing for himself and can leave on a moments notice.

The 6'ers were 'lucky' this time as we are not in playoff contention (not practically anyway) so Giddey's departure isn't hurting the campaign.

Maybe this is why Perth didn't want Mooney as a NS either.

Thats not to say there are no benefits.
Giddey is an excitement machine.
Generates a lot of exposure the the 6'ers, hopefully translates to more revenue (in a normal 'non' covid season)
Maybe even some buy out money or transfer fee for the team.

But the risk is very real for someone making the playoffs and their star NS has one eye on resting and shutting it down. Would the NS want to sky for a rebound, block, steal or deflection if the risk of injury is there? They may play but be at 50% intensity.

Reply #848458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Next stars helped him by being on a team where like Ball he was the main man and showed his talents. If he was on a college team you bide your time, Jack White example, if you're in a lesser college team your talents don’t get shown as much due to lesser players around you.

Reply #848459 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It seems like Giddey has left because we are out of playoff contention - otherwise I think he would have left a couple of weeks earlier.

I think an NS weighs up - 1) how they are going, 2) risk of injury or hurting their stock, 3) upcoming opportunities to workout in front of NBA teams and 4) playoff basketball

I think there's a huge amount of benefit for any NS getting it done in a playoff scenario and I think Giddey would have stayed for it and bolted to US the moment the team is no longer in it. Which is the right move IMO. It just happened that Adelaide are now out of realistic contention.

To that extent with #4 struck out, #1 - he’s going damn well and essentially gets to finish where he was getting triple doubles, #2 his stock is exactly where he wants it to be don’t risk injury for nothing, #3 the one negative about playing in Australia is you don’t get to impress in person - not many NBA scouts or talent heads make their way across spend a month incl travel and quarantine just to see one person. He has prime opportunity to get some good workouts in and secure that 8-14 spot.

Reply #848466 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Good luck to him. He certainly played hard and did more than you can reasonably expect of an 18 year old rookie. I've got no problem with him leaving at this point. The Sixers were done weeks ago realistically, so he more than did the right thing by us playing the last few games.

Having said that, if my team is trying to win a title, I certainly wouldn't be signing a Next Star. Fingers crossed the owner is committed to that next season, while we still have an elite level DJ and still have Humphries.

I think this team has shown it has a good nucleus, its season was just doomed from the moment Donald Sloan proved he was no point guard. Put a good floor general on this team and I think their offence would've been much more consistent from quarter to quarter and game to game.

Reply #848468 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

One thing that may help Giddey get drafted higher is that both Lamelo and Hampton have probably exceeded expectations to their relative draft positions, meaning NBA teams feel they can more accurately predict where Giddey fits. If this were to hold, it could be considered a success for the program.

I'm on record as not being a fan of the program in general though and that hasn't changed.

Reply #848478 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Getting quite a bit of interesting banter, on this one. That banter has me thinking....

1) Assigning NS to lower placed teams seems right for both parties. The NS gets to play and the team benefits (assuming the NS is NS standard).

2) re:" #3 the one negative about playing in Australia is you don't get to impress in person - not many NBA scouts or talent heads make their way across spend a month incl travel and quarantine just to see one person." or... it may be his greatest advantage!
Anyone taking that trouble and expense to see one person is keen as dirt. And you probably have his entire focus on YOU. Any game they scout at home, maybe 2,3 or 10 players worth seeing and comparing.

3) Not at all keen on having a NS, not even a genuine rookie yet, only a rookie to becoming a rookie, on a championship team if the NS has a lot to do with a win. Undersells how good our league is. Imagine if Hawks had success with Ball at the helm. US Headlines - "LaMELO WINS AUSIE NBL". No thank you!

None of the above is meant as criticism, just things that came to mind.

Reply #848481 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Getting quite a bit of interesting banter, on this one. That banter has me thinking....

1) Assigning NS to lower placed teams seems right for both parties. The NS gets to play and the team benefits (assuming the NS is NS standard).

2) re:" #3 the one negative about playing in Australia is you don't get to impress in person - not many NBA scouts or talent heads make their way across spend a month incl travel and quarantine just to see one person." or... it may be his greatest advantage!
Anyone taking that trouble and expense to see one person is keen as dirt. And you probably have his entire focus on YOU. Any game they scout at home, maybe 2,3 or 10 players worth seeing and comparing.

3) Not at all keen on having a NS who's not even a genuine rookie yet, only a rookie to becoming a rookie, on a championship team if the NS has a lot to do with a win. Undersells how good our league is. Imagine if Hawks had success with Ball at the helm. US Headlines - "LaMELO WINS AUSIE NBL". No thank you!

None of the above is meant as criticism, just things that came to mind.

Reply #848482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It still feels shallow that your playing for yourself and not your team. When Lamello ball left the Hawks last year your bailing out on the club sponsors, paid members , their rookie coach having to put up with the next star drama etc..

In a team sport it doesnt sit with me right that you come first over your team. Go an play in the US colleague system for little money and struggle to get recognition there.

The Next Star program makes our league look like a door mat for someone to wipe their feet on. Adelaide may be happy with the situation but if I was a paid member or sponsor I dont think I would feel the same. I would also rather focus on a 3rd import next season who is committed fully to the club and Australian players in for the long run. Leave Next Stars for those clubs with little chance for playoffs.

I guess thats why teams like Perth do well --> club and role come first.

Reply #848552 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:40 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754