Isaac
Years ago

Taipans not re-signing coach Mike Kelly for 2021/22

Either have someone in mind, want to get a jump on an off-season where multiple teams are appointing a head coach, and/or have a coach in place before they hit the free agent market.

Any free agent not facing a post-season is already thinking about where they'll be next year.

Topic #48636 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly gone
Lemanis gone
Forde gone
Shamir no guarantee
Gleeson moving on

Safe
Goorjan
Vickerman
Mitchell
Henry
Roth

Reply #850627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh my, I'd say he’s either Sydney or Brisbane bound.

Reply #850630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, no he's gone imo.

Reply #850631 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was a rumour he was heading back to states early this year. Very good coach and person, I'll be disappointed if he’s out off nbl.

Reply #850632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Somehow Mitchell is safe

Reply #850633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde to cairns apparently.

Reply #850634 | Report this post

05:44:00  
Years ago

Kelly is a quality person. maybe better suited to development than winning at all cost.

Reply #850636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No loss sorry. Talent made him look good. Cairns have spent $400k under the table to be botton. Thanks Mike.

Reply #850640 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I don't think Mike Kelly is a good coach at all.

For those who want to quote last year's result, I present to you Year 1 and Year 3 of his tenure.

Year 1 he was 6-22 the next closest was 12-16, and that season he had the best guard in the league (Trimble) with DJ Newbill and still could not get off the bottom.

Year 2 he got lucky with some great imports, credit where its due he got it done after a poor start. I think he got CotY due to sympathy for coaching Cairns, it should have gone to Weaver or even Gleeson.

Year 3, its back to normal Mike Kelly. This year should have been their year to thrive. With the cutting back to 2 imports they had the best import duo locked in before the season started. The 2 import rule was a great equaliser and Cairns made use of it by finishing spooners again.

Yes I understand they have endured adversity, who hasn't? SEM lost Pineau, Ilawarra never had Bairstow or Adel show up, Adelaide have Pinder and Connor Henry. Oliver playing disinterested is on Kelly. Noi was chucking up shots as a volume scorer, Jordan Ngatai is a more efficient scorer. Nagtai, Jawai and Duffelmier have all stepped up and still the result is the Spoon.

Again it is because of Cairns 'battler' tag that he gets a free pass, anyone else who gets 2 wooden spoons in just 3 years (by a fair margin too) would get ridicule.

Reply #850644 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

I forgot about New Zealand.

They suffered perhaps the harshest adversity of all, yet managed to stay off the bottom.

Cairns got GIVEN a new home court paid for by taxpayers.

That club is trash.

Reply #850645 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I could see something like this

Forde

Cairns Taipans 21/22

S.Machado(i)/T.Dufelmeier
D.Newbill(i)/M.King(ns)/M.Djeric
K.Noi/J.Ngatai
X.Cooks/M.Deng/F.Krslovic
(i)/N.Jawai

Reply #850646 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The Taipans play their final game of the season on Wednesday night in NZ seems a bit odd they couldn't wait less than 48 hours to make this announcement. Who will their coach be for that game Kelly? Brad Hill?

Reply #850647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I thought Mick Downer should've got the job over Mike Kelly last time, hopefully he gets it this time around

Reply #850649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where's Gleeson rumoured to be going? Hard to see him leaving Perth until they don’t make finals in a particular season.

Reply #850650 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Big-money offer from Asia is the rumour.

Reply #850651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Lovebroker, I don't think using nz as an example is great, there home now and still not winning with a side twice the cost of Cairns. You can hate all you like, but Kelly did a great job with what was available to him, most of his team are one way checkers.

Reply #850658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Year 1 he was 6-22 the next closest was 12-16, and that season he had the best guard in the league (Trimble)"

He could score, but he was close to the worst defensive guard in the league. Teams with the best defensive guards are generally there at the pointy end.

Reply #850660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shawn Dennis. Great coach. Just blows himself up in interviews.

Reply #850665 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard that Gleeson asia offer was not a club but a national team.
Korea maybe? China? Lamas moving on from Japan?

Reply #850667 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Shawn Dennis. Great coach. Just blows himself up in interviews."
Has just changed clubs in Japan and won't be going anywhere.

Reply #850670 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Lovew@nker at again. You're a pest mate!

Reply #850672 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Oliver being disinterested is on Kelly? That's the best. Oliver has been rolling his eyes and carrying on like a pork chop since he arrived two years prior. They were never going to be up to it this season with their roster regardless of who coached them.

It would be a challenge to make Oliver’s attitude worse. Talented as any we’ve seen play in our game, but the 'I’m not wiping my own arse’ mentality was manifested long before Kelly got to him.

And I don’t think Kelly is a great coach either. Cairns should have hired both Pearlman & Downer in the past but chose a different path. Bevo would be a great fit for that community but he really deserves a crack at it with a decent roster/finances.

Reply #850674 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cairns were a team with reasonable top end talent in their starting 5 and top 7, but zero depth

No surprises that their season fell apart when some of that talent (Deng, Noi, Oliver) went down.

What killed their W/L record, and probably Kelly's fate, is how they kept losing games by close margins early in the season. They must've lost 7 or 8 games by 5 points or less in the first half of the season.

Reply #850675 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Haha you are not at all a broker of love, champion. You're about as sour as they come. Please, for your sake, try to look at life's positives.

In years 1 and 3 our effort and confidence were subpar. I don't know if year 2 was a fluke, but it is pretty evident that we have been riding confidence (high or low) the entire way through. Not at all consistent

Reply #850683 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I just looked through their season, I'd forgotten how many games they also got trounced by double digits (and it's also true they lost many close ones).

Reply #850685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Noi was scoring little before injury and what ever he scores he lets in more at the other end. There side was crap bar a few.

Reply #850691 | Report this post

TaipansTragic  
Years ago

Wonder who the Taipans go with next... Forde has been mentioned. What is Bevo up to? Joey Wright still in Aus? hahaha... I just hope we can fork out enough money to get a good enough coach.

Reply #850705 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't think using nz as an example is great, there home now and still not winning with a side twice the cost of Cairns. You can hate all you like, but Kelly did a great job with what was available to him, most of his team are one way checkers.

I didn't say NZ were winners, I said they managed to stay off the bottom even with not having home games until their season was over, losing Abercrombie, having Loe bail lose his adult composure and bail on them.

I'm interested in the suggestion that Kelley did a 'great job' with a records of 6-22 and 8-27, what would be considered a poor coaching job?

He could score, but he was close to the worst defensive guard in the league. Teams with the best defensive guards are generally there at the pointy end.

I don't expect Kelly to win it all with Trimble but its not like he didn't have the horses to be off the bottom.

They were never going to be up to it this season with their roster regardless of who coached them.

What do you mean by 'up to it'? They had the best import duo before the season started, I would take a Machado (NBL first team) and Oliver (NBL second team) over ANY import duos at the beginning of the season including Cotton plus unproven Mooney. They haven't lost any significant talent that no one else has.

Cairns lost Newbill, OK thats a big loss, but the core was still there.

Adelaide lost Griffin, Randle, Drmic, Obi and Froling...and we still managed to keep off the canvas.

What killed their W/L record, and probably Kelly's fate, is how they kept losing games by close margins early in the season. They must've lost 7 or 8 games by 5 points or less in the first half of the season.

That is purely on Kelly, he has been gifted 2 of the most talented players and a good closer in Machado.

I wish people who stop making excuses for Kelly.

Reply #850707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where does the rumour of Forde getting the job come from, Sydney was to far from Perth, last time I looked Cairns was further.

Reply #850715 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Olgun Uluc reporting it, I believe.

Very possible Sydney sacked Forde and simply presented the "wants to be with his family" story to allow him to save face. Equally possible moving to Cairns is easier for his family than moving to Sydney.

Reply #850720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Being relatively close to the situation but still not close enough so not 100% fact, it was more Forde was seeking an extension beyond his second year option on his contract. Sydney said no. So rather than move his family out for only a year, decided to go back and test the market for something more long term.

Reply #850722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have say that at least Forde is his own man, didn't buckle, just said you go your way and I’ll go mine. Forde would’ve learned a lot this year.

Reply #850728 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

I'm sure Oliver will be a completely different player now that he’s away from Kelly. His life long attitude will improve significantly no question.

Reply #850774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oliver at Houston with weaver and with the Forde weaver connection I wonder if that played a part

Reply #850779 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Let's face it, who would wanna move to Sydney

Forde's not that old, unless he's already got substantial wealth behind him then Sydney rent or house prices make it a crappy proposition

Those bagging Kelly now are those who were stupid enough to buy the pre season hype and assumed they'd make playoffs

Cairns were seriously overrated and weren't likely to make it, even with a full strength roster.

Oliver is good but I'd take Landale, Mooney over him and Humphries pretty comparable too.

Machado likewise. Amongst Ware, Cotton, Sykes, Sobey he's no standout

And Cairns lack depth compared to the good teams

This isn't excuses it's just reality. A Goorj coached, reasonably deep Illawarra squad were $3.50 for playoffs pre season and Cairns- who'd lost one of their big 3- was $1.30. It was nuts. Brisbane was $4.50.

Now people are saying "everyone had injuries, Cairns sucked" yeah but When you start 7 or 8 deep injuries kill you more than United or SEM who go 10 or 11 deep.

Reply #850788 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Injuries, movements and loss of newbill cost them top 5 finish.

Reply #850789 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And yeah, even despite all of the above Cairns had a terrible season

But last year they were great! So I reckon if you've coached 3 years and the middle one was awesome then you're a bit stiff to get the boot. One more year was probably deserved.

Reply #850790 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He probably did deserve another year, how often does the COTY get sacked the following year?

If Cairns are sacking Kelly despite still having a year to go on his contract (as Liam confirmed during the game) it means they've likely got a pretty good coach lined up. Budget teams aren't in the habit of making a payout to the old coach whilst paying a new coach on top of it.

Reply #850798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly is a high integrity person, I'm not certain he would demand his pay out if he wasn’t coaching.

As LV says, there side was crap, even Machado was average this season. Most of the side are nbl1 players even if Santa and homicide talk them up, the fawning over Djeric because he throws in a three every now and then or Noi is rubbish, both woeful defensively.

Reply #850825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forde to get a 3 years deal it seems.

Reply #850882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

" Kelly is a high integrity person, I'm not certain he would demand his pay out if he wasn't coaching. "

High quality people need to eat & pay their bills just as much as low quality people do. If he doesn’t take every cent they owe him, he’s a fool (he’s not a fool)

Reply #850893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not saying Forde is a bad signing but didn’t kings and Cairns go 2all this season, more than likely cost kings a final place. I don’t see improvement on Kelly..

Reply #850905 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

I don't see improvement on Kelly.

Kelly got Cairns a spoon, you can;t get worse than what he has 'achieved'.

Reply #850909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly team would be one third the wage bill compared to Cairns. You have to compare apples with apples, you seem to like comparing apples and pears.

Reply #850917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man it's a simple game put the ball in the hole. Kelly was blessed with a great team that made him look good. I have seen many great teams at various levels and they win and it ain't the coaches that make them great. Trust me on that. I have seen many great teams not win anything too. Is that the coaches fault? See the Kings under Turner.

Reply #850923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney 3-2 over cairns. Two losses where without Jarell martin

Reply #850933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

People talking about cairns budget. But Sydney played most of the season with Hunter, Bruce, Moller and Vodanovich. None of those guys are "breaching the cap". In my opinion Forde would do well in cairns

Reply #850934 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin was a defensive liability, Hunter, Bruce, Moller and Vadonovic are better than Cairns starters, Bruce and Moller excellent team and defensive players.

Reply #850936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exactly. So why don't cairns get those guys instead of getting guys like Blagojevic and such? Cost the same

Reply #850942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

(Mod: Potentially defamatory.)

Reply #850943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They don't get those guys because they don’t pay enough, they got no money. Cost the same lol, Cairns pay there imports big money and the balance are total budget guys.

Reply #850946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who will get the Kings job is the $64K question. CJ will get the Bullets as he should.

Reply #850955 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:20 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754