Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks United series would be played in Illawarra

Julian O Brien has reported that if it is a Hawks v United semi final, all games would be played in Illawarra

Topic #48675 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Makes sense.

Reply #851931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely SEM plays and stays in Perth for their SF if that's the matchup. Gives the league the most opportunity to make money from ticket sales.

Reply #851945 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

SEM has travelled a lot, but I wouldn't be playing in Perth if I were them.

Reply #851948 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I guess it comes down to finances though, maybe SEM would try to swing a profit share arrangement with the Cats

Reply #851949 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If hawks go one up on United, would United try move next games to neutral venue.

Reply #851950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do SEM have a choice? If the league wants to make the most money from the finals ticket levies then Perth is the logical choice.

Reply #851951 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think a cut of the profits is worth playing all 3 games in front of the red army

Reply #851952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you really think that people in Perth would go to 2 teams that they don't support and pay ridiculous prices to do so? Pass.

Reply #851953 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Anon #593. It wouldn't be 2 non Perth sides it would be Perth vs SEM for 3 games in Perth and utd vs Illawarra in the Gong for 3 games.

I think a lot of people would struggle with that financially, my semi final tickets are North of $90 each, and there is 6 of us that go. I'd struggle to afford all 3.

Reply #851954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In that scenario why would SEM need any type of profit sharing arrangement with the cats or get only a 'cut of the profit'? Can't they just hire the arena themselves and sell the tickets themselves since it is their 'home' game? It sounds like a sensible option to consider.

Reply #851955 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I was thinking more that Tommy Greer might say "Hey, we'll play Game 2 in Perth if you give us 10% of ticket revenues from Games 1 and 3..."

Obviously playing game 2 in Perth increases Perth's chances of playing in the GF, so SEM could reasonably use that as a bargaining chip.

And playing game 2 in Perth reduces SEM's GF prospects, where there might be a small possibility that SEM could host GF games in Melbourne. So whilst Game 2 in Perth is better than Game 2 on neutral territory for SEM, they would be definitely reducing their chances of making the GF, and potentially reducing their chances of hosting genuine home games in Melbourne too.

Reply #851962 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"So whilst Game 2 in Perth is better than Game 2 on neutral territory for SEM"

Here I was referring purely to finances. As in if 2,000 West Australians attend, it's better than flying to Sydney or wherever and playing in front of less.

But then again, that depends where the alternative is. Cats fans might have maxed out their credit cards on Game 1 tickets

Reply #851963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If SEM play in Perth in game 2 they should be entitled to 100% of the profits. It's not a Perth home game.

Reply #851964 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[If SEM play in Perth in game 2 they should be entitled to 100% of the profits. It's not a Perth home game.]

Yes, I'm suggesting they ask for compensation from the Game 1 and 3 revenues, in return for giving Perth 3 true home games in a row and a better chance of making the GF (Where Perth would then make loads more $$$ from at least one more home game)

Reply #851966 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Surely not. I think MU sweep Illawarra regardless of where they play but the Perf v SEM matchup would be much closer for mine. Good times ahead...

Reply #851967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Yes, I'm suggesting they ask for compensation from the Game 1 and 3 revenues,"

Oh gotcha. Seems fair to me. They might as well make some last minute money for their holidays the following week.

Reply #851971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Melbourne team is giving up home team advantage to the opposition during finals. Cairns showed SEM what giving up a home game to your opponent does.

Reply #852026 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Topic title is wrong as the source himself (Julian O'Brien of the Illawarra Mercury) is doubtful about what he originally said less than two hours after the original tweet.

Reply #852028 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"No Melbourne team is giving up home team advantage to the opposition during finals."

Why should they get a choice? The league has a handful of games to maximise revenue. They are going to gain that revenue at stadiums where local fans already have an interest in the series.

Reply #852029 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:20 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754