Jack Toft
Years ago

SF2 Game 2: Illawarra v Perth

Well, if you want to win an NBL Championship, you need to win in Perth, and that is what the Hawks did the other day, much to the shock of Perf fans.

Perf are now sudden death and Dr Trevor has prescribed a dose of cement for all his players, but Wollongong is a steel town.

And didn't the Hawks do well on Thursday night. A win for them tonight will see them into the GF and for the Cats to lick their wounds and complain about the refs. A Cats win keeps the series alive.

No Kiss of Death today

Topic #48700 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

The anti-Perth brigade are more excited about this one than the Cats and Hawks fan bases put together.

Reply #852762 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I felt that towards the 3rd quarter of the season, Jervis was being used better and was providing valuable minutes. With the ultimate prospect of facing Landale and JLA in the GF, I assumed that Magnay would allow Mooney to spend more time at PF. But it hasn't happened. Jervis just looks like decoration at this point.

Perth have a habit of coming back from tough spots, and nobody in their right mind would ever right them off.
But we've also seen, on occasion when they have staggered into the finals crippled by injury, that the end comes quicker.
Sadly since Cotton was announced out for the season, we've seen a couple of guys playing like their season (and even career) was over.
What does Trevor say to those guys, that wasn't already said for the last game?

I'll keep hoping and believing, cos this series could still go either way, but the season effectively ends for somebody tonight.

Reply #852763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Cats lose tonight, the "haha Perf u sux derp" dude is going to have a field day.

Reply #852765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That last quarter I wonder if Magnay out there would there have been those highlight dunks. Wagstaff is not a centre. Gleeson has a bias about not playing centres towards the end of the game and frustrates me when as the game gets tighter and poeple more tighter natural height difference doesnt go away.

Reply #852777 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Magnay was under used, in saying that, he has not been that great.

Perth won't die with out a massive fight, hawks had better be ready. Gleeson has had his way with refs and all other coaches for seasons, but now Goorj is back he has an equal.
I don’t see Blanchfield playing as well and I see Harvey improving.
Like last game this will go down to the wire, who holds there nerve wins, just think the hawks will hang on. Illawarra by two.

Reply #852781 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Should be low scoring and close again, could go either way but with Harvey hitting a few more buckets I'm tipping Hawks

Reply #852783 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Perth threads always seem to crack the ton

Reply #852785 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Will the Hawks tonight become just the second team alongside the 36ers to sweep a finals series against a Trevor Gleeson coached Wildcats team?

I picked the Hawks to win the series 2-1 but looks like they'll do it in two, I can't see Tyler Harvey having such a bad game again and even then they still won that game. Mooney's really fallen away without Cotton, the guy sucks up so much gravity it allows easier opportunities for others.

Reply #852786 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Magnay has been a huge disappointment. Obviously still underdone so it was a gamble bringing him in but they probably had no other option with available aussies. Due to perths lack of shooting depth they needed to play wagstaff more in the last quarter. He hits those clutch threes more often than not so its no surprise gleeson has more faith in that lineup. Uncharacteristic turnovers is what really hurt them.

I think the Hawks will be able to pull off a very rare series sweep over Perth today.

Hawks by 8

Reply #852787 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Froling matches up very well with Mooney too.

Other than hoping that the Cats can keep this game interesting, mu other main hope for today is that the Hawks get a great crowd along.

Reply #852789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This would be a win for the ages, going up against 2 imports and a next start v one import which could have been classified as a next star and rookie.

Playing Dp's in the starting line up and a ageing bench if Illawarra don’t get this then something’s wrong. Hopefully we get some away home cooking because all we getting is snacks at rac arena.

Reply #852791 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still giggle at Perth fans complaining about the cooking. Ridiculously tone deaf

Reply #852792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations on stretching the meaning of tone deaf to sporting matches.

Reply #852796 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Heart says Perth.
Head says Illawarra.

Reply #852835 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Sadly I think we all got sucked into the Magnay hype, with some saying we had allbut guaranteed a championship, comparing his signing to the original Cotton deal, etc.

But it seems he's basically been sitting around since going to the USA.
Hopefully its a long-term deal, and he plays a similar role to Brandt for us.
In the short-term, given he was going to replace Bairstow / Jervis in the rotation, it's still been a net gaina, just not the big one we might have expected.

Reply #852846 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Magnay just signed for the rest of this season supposedly he's going back to play in the G-League next season.

Reply #852849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton going down with a tough schedule and no practice always difficult to ease him in. Looks scared to play freely not wanting to disrupt the system.

Wasn't our saviour was a nice addition to what we had without him, might prove the difference today

Reply #852859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield kicking outside his cylinder, than should be an offensive foul and flop warning. Refs should review these if uncertain, don't give me this bullshit that is how they shoot.

Reply #852865 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Goorj continuously enters the court to talk to the refs. Should be auto tech.

Reply #852866 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Horribly low scoring.

Reply #852867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why is Gaze backing Perth so much.

Reply #852868 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Is he not allowed to?

Reply #852871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd prefer my commentary to neutral, but if you like cheer squad commentary, you are entitled to.

Reply #852872 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

No Cotton or Norton and Hawks still can't shake Perth.
This season is heading to an almighty fizzle.

Reply #852873 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

#872 I have it on mute.

Reply #852874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magney has been an unmitigated disaster . Coock or JP Tokoto bad fit.

Reply #852875 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

Gee United will be licking their lips knowing one of these teams will be who they have to play the in the GF

Reply #852876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United will win by 50 no matter who they play see incredible alright what a shit show

Reply #852878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without Cotton Perth dosent have anyone who can. Put a sequence of good plays together. No creators out there

Reply #852879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another excuse and the game is not over, hawks lost their two marquee players and cats not winning, lol.

Low scoring great game, I'm enjoying it. Who holds their nerve wins, Blanchfield last three is a good start for cats. Deng hitting jumpers might do it for hawks.

Reply #852880 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Man the cats are terrible that a average team like Illawara are looking like an NBA outfit. Melbourne United should just be given the trophy.

Poor display for the NBL with such poor scoring and over-reffing ruining any flow.

Reply #852881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If anyone doubted Cottons greatness then they need to watch Perth try to play basketball without him. It's an embarrassing display

Reply #852882 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the Cats lose tonight, the "haha Perf u sux derp" dude is going to have a field day

Don't feel bad old mate. If MU lose the "LK conspiracy" flogs come out...

Happens to any team on this forum

Reply #852884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton is on one leg...

Reply #852886 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

If Perth lose so be it.
Some teams have crap rosters and don't make the playoffs.

Reply #852887 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing hard nose defence is great, anyone can run up and down getting dunks when there is no D. One of those dunks Oliver got in the nba the other night my grandma would've played better D.

Reply #852888 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Come on Blanch do something!!

Reply #852891 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Blanchfield injured? His touch is terrible at the moment

Reply #852892 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone else playing the Shane Heal drinking game? You drink every time he says "don't worry about that".

Reply #852893 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Has he retired "to be able to"?

Reply #852894 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Hawks can't win this at home against a Perth team without Cotton and Norton they should be ashamed.

Reply #852895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs certainly not helping Illawarra here, there has to be a review of all three point shooters, to many soft fouls, players falling backwards before it's even left there hands.

Reply #852896 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Stiendl ♡

Reply #852897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth would not even be in finals if the first part of the season they played without Cotton and Norton. Stop making excuses, you are winning.

Reply #852898 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Steindl giving Jessup an absolute touch up. Good thing you don't need to play defense in the NBA.

Reply #852899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The emergence of travers has been pretty awesome

Reply #852900 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow Travers. Up by ten points somehow.

Reply #852901 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Huge shot by Harvey to close out the third quarter

Reply #852902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we get more TV time of the guy in the hawk mask or the flog in the helmet and Viking horns? It's not an Illawarra game without it..,

Reply #852903 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Travers with three consecutive offensive rebounds.

Reply #852904 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

You'd think if an NBA scout is watching Harvey they'd be talking to Travers instead.

Reply #852905 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Travers BEAST MODE.

Reply #852906 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Another "to be able to" from Shane

Reply #852907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MU supporter here: what a great win for Perth. Dominated the rebounds and the 3 pointers from Todd and Clint. Great job and good luck back at home.

Reply #852908 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

The cats cant put the ball in the hole they're doin their best to blow this again

Reply #852909 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Thankfully the hawks are even worse

Reply #852910 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Illawarra should be ashamed of themselves but it's good for us.

Reply #852911 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

F***ing turnovers!!!

Reply #852912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Perth, Illawarra have overachieved imo. Going to be interesting back in Perth.

Reply #852913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just hold onto the ball

Reply #852914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson victory today, his changes through the third changed the game.

Reply #852915 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

The difference in the game was a Steindl hot streak in the third quarter

Reply #852916 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

Jessup will be back in the NBL next year no way he's ready for the show. He’s so bad on the defensive end.

Reply #852917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No Cotton, no Norton, no worries.

Reply #852918 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Travers was a beast on offensive rebounds, including the one he fought for on the ground.

Game 3 on Monday night.

Reply #852919 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Onya Cats

Reply #852920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fuck this league is garbage

Reply #852921 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Gutsy win!

Reply #852922 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Poor from Hawks. Big choke from their supposed NBA- bound stars.

Reply #852923 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gutsy Wildcats win. Travers was huge, even Kevin White managed to not be completely shit and stepped up when needed

Reply #852924 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Long time Hawks supporter and while this game was a disappointing result you have to admire the Wildcat's system and fight. As a basketball fan it is also fantastic to see the emergence of Travers and his all-round game.

Another dogfight in game three.

Reply #852925 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoyable game, anyone that doesn't like tough physical games can go watch lawn bowls.

Reply #852926 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great post FSTOS! Good luck for game 3. Refreshing on this forum to have classy response to a loss.

Reply #852927 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I still think that's the end, for the Hawks.
Very, very difficult to come back and win again in Perth. But a lot will depend on how Norton pulls up.

Reply #852928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson master class on reading and reacting to every move . Guy is a master coach

Reply #852929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching goorjian walk around the sidelines with those tight jeans reminds me the episode Kramer tried to wear the tight jeans and was asking like Frankenstein. Brian give it up mate.

Reply #852930 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

Reading posts that worry about how a person in their late 60's dresses goes a long way to showing how fkn shallow and childish some people are on this forum. Anon .....Give it up mate and get a fkn life,.

Reply #852931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I last checked this was a basketball forum heavily dominated by Perth and Adelaide supporters. Didn't realise it was a fashion forum about a coach’s jeans?

Reply #852932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What happened to Norton?

Reply #852933 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay is nothing whilst in the shape his in, he'll never be a competitive 5 man here or in the nba. The pels built his frame up, to make him a physically stronger c and he lost his edge completely. He needs to go back to the leaner athletic mobile guy he was before and get back to developing as a stretch 4.

Reply #852934 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Weird comment considering Goorjian looks good and healthy for his age.

Reply #852935 | Report this post

Kb_24  
Years ago

4 free throw shot by hawks..stop jacking 3s hawks!

Reply #852936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://youtu.be/MLUvOtqTmYM

Reply #852938 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Weird comment considering Goorjian looks good and healthy for his age"

I'm younger that Goorj, and wished I looked half as fit as he does.

Reply #852939 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Travers will be a superstar in this league one day. If he's still here.

Reply #852940 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

LV actually makes a good point. Travers might have a future beyond the NBL.

Reply #852942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goorjians outfit was fine, I just hope he was able to find the toilets in time because it looked like he was busting all game.

Reply #852943 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers can do what exactly at nba level? Ballhandlingnot up to standard, defence not nba level, shooting nowhere near the level. Speed mediocre. He will be a high end nbl guy with maybe a few g league trials. Same for j.white.

Anyone know how legit tall he is? Every site has him listed different from 6'4-6’9.
Looks 6’8?

Reply #852944 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imagine if Luke jackson stayed with bball, was at Perth and had same development time as travers.
Jackson would be averaging 12 rebounds a game.

Reply #852945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#944 what is NBA level defence? Because no one plays it

Reply #852946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers looks about two inches taller than Blanchfield, no more, six seven or six.

Reply #852947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson just said he was 6'9 in press conference.
But a few weeks back said he was 6’7. Lol ok.

Reply #852948 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Travers moments aside, low quality game. Neither of these teams are troubling United.

Reply #852949 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Best two defensive teams in the league, playing finals defence. Either will trouble United.

Reply #852950 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ hahaha

Reply #852951 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha

They said in last night's telecast United has been the #1 defensive team and the #1 offensive team since NBL cup

Apart from Harvey there's not 1 elite scorer in this whole series and he's been well held

Unless Landale pulls a hammy or something (touch wood) GF unlikely to even see a Game 4

SEM a better chance of winning tomorrow than either of these teams against United

Reply #852952 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

They might both be good defensive teams, but pretty woeful offensively. Travers did a good impression of game 1 Simon, but otherwise the Hawks in particular generated some good, wide open looks for guys down the stretch, and just didn't make em.

Reply #852953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No defence in the nba? Or is it just absolutely rubbish offence in nbl, no wonder why coaches go on about offensive rebounds so much because no one can make a shot because of the terrible offence

Reply #852955 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I said they'd trouble MU, not beat them.

Unless they lose HCA advantage through Covid, it's very hard to imagine MU not winning, especially with upto 5 games.
And yes, assuming games 1 & 3 played in Melbourne in front of decent crowds, a sweep is a likely outcome.
Last year, Perth knew that on their day they were better than Sydney. Without Cotton, that's not so, and if they (or Hawks) drop game 1, it will be hard to get fired up for game 2.

On the one hand it is very sad that Cotton's injury has robbed us of a cracking GF series. But MU have been one of the top 2 teams all season (easily better than Perth minus Cotton) so nobody can complain they aren't deserving winners.

Reply #852957 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton looked like he injured his groin .

Reply #852964 | Report this post

Woody  
Years ago

If you ask Greg Hire he will tell you Luke Travers has more upside than Josh Giddey. The kid will Defenitely get a summer league opportunity at least at some stage.

Reply #852966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For all the hate trev gets he goes to the press conference and says we need to get better. Goorj took less than a minute to bring up the free throw count....

Reply #852979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gleeson clearly won the coaches battle, Perth are a juggernaut and Gleeson clearly been superb for the cats, and I'm an anyone but cats supporter ::))

Reply #852982 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

As crazy as it would have seemed two nights ago, could Perth now be a shot at winning another championship, even without Cotton and/or Norton?

You'd say no chance.. but if SEM take care of Melbourne in one more game..

Reply #853063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No chance regardless of opponent.
Slim odds to even get to the GF.
Got away with it yesterday but Goorj will have a plan to crush Perth's lack of point guards tomorrow.

Reply #853066 | Report this post

Hopscotch 55  
Years ago

No chance is a bit far.
I imagine they are favourites with the bookies for tomorrow, and if SEM had to beat them twice in Perth for the championship I dare say they'd have Perth favourites too.

I'm not saying I'm sitting here banking on it, or even seeing the Wildcats get there. Just to me, the door was well and truly slammed shut, and somehow, just cracked open slightly.

Reply #853076 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If SEM beats United again, they would be favorite against a Cotton-less Perth

Or they should be. And if they weren't, they'd be juicy odds. Some might say irresistible.

Much like against United, SEM proved they can run with Perth during the season, and that was with Cotton.

If it's Cotton AND Norton that are missing, I'd give Perth about a 20% chance of winning 1 game and avoiding the sweep against either SEM or United (and that 20% is mostly down to injuries or say Landale/Creek suffering Landale's fate of today- barely playing due to foul trouble). And I'd give Perth about a 5% chance of forcing a game 5.

Based on what I've seen over the first 4 games, the champion will almost definitely come from today's game.

In one series, you have 2 strong defensive teams that are bereft of offensive options. In the other series you have two talented, deep teams that can play at both ends of the court.

Hoping I'm wrong but I expect a fairly one-sided GF, with a 3-0 or 3-1 outcome and 2 of the 3 wins being fairly comfortable. Regardless of who wins each Game 3.

Check out Illawarra's record against SEM and United too. It's woeful.

Reply #853079 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Goorj will have a plan to crush Perth's lack of point guards tomorrow"

Very hard to plan for the unknown.

Would not be surprised to see Norton Suit-Up, and the opposition won't know whether he's able to play 10 minutes or 10 seconds.

Hawks might have a plan to go at White and try to fatigue him and get him into foul trouble, but won't know what plan C is. At times we'll see Wani and even LT running the ball, but who knows, maybe he throws Britt into the deep end for a few minutes to see if he sinks or swims.

Reply #853087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth favourites now, they don't lose two is row at home. Hawks blew it.

Reply #853089 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:05 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754