Aussie
Years ago

Trevor Gleeson staying at Perth Wildcats

Article in today's West Australian newspaper saying he is staying on as coach for next season at Perth and will not be taking up any offers in Japan

Topic #48725 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

That means Cotton ain't going anywhere either.

Reply #854125 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Not surprising. Money isn't everything.

Reply #854128 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Travers has 2 years left on his deal after this season and based on his finals form, could become a legit star within the next 2 years given his age.

If Cotton naturalizes they're in a very good position for the next year or two.

Reply #854129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When Kay returns it'll get even better.

Reply #854132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plus Mooney and two other imports.

Reply #854133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually heard he was heading to the US as an assistant, like Weaver did this season, great news he's staying in Perth for the nbl and cats supporters, the rest of us can weep.

Reply #854134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who does Perth let go? Player wise

Reply #854135 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jervis and White.

Reply #854136 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

and Bairstow

Reply #854138 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Was there an article recently about Mooney wanting to double down on his contract to stay on in Perth? I couldn't read behind a pay wall but i assume if he cant get an NBA contract he'll be back?

Reply #854139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow would be a good pick up for a club, has done everything asked, played good D, rebounds well. Cairns had a lot players on their roster not as good as him, there media hype was a lot better though.

Reply #854140 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So much for the rumour he was a certainty to go.

Bol which newspaper?

Reply #854141 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Cotton, Blanchfield and Travers all signed for next season.
Lo Buluk is team option, not sure they will retain him.
Shervill also signed (presume as a DP)

Mooney
Norton
White
Jervis I think will retire again.
Wagstaff
J Bairstow
Magnay
Majok
Steindl

Are all free agents.
Mooney and Norton are top priorities imo.

Reply #854143 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Was there an article recently about Mooney wanting to double down on his contract to stay on in Perth? I couldn't read behind a pay wall but i assume if he cant get an NBA contract he'll be back?

I've found the article:
"I've loved my time here," Mooney said.

“The organisation is unbelievable from top to bottom. The whole coaching staff and all of the guys on the team, the front office and the training staff are phenomenal and have checked all of my boxes.

“My mindset right now is to focus on this season and try to win this championship so I’ll figure everything out at the end of the season. But I have loved my time here and would love to be back.”

Reply #854146 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heard Shervill is looking elsewhere

Reply #854147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not necessary s5

Import/Norton
Cotton/Steindl
Blanchfield/Travers
Kay/Wagstaff
Mooney/Majok
+NS g/f

Moved on
Britt ?
White retire maybe
Buluk ?
Shervill move club
Bairstow move club
Magnay move club
Ferguson dp
Jervis retire maybe

Reply #854148 | Report this post

no name  
Years ago

I'd like to see Shervill stay, looks to be good pickup and solid SF in years to come

Maybe Machado likes his time in the west and fills that import PG role?

I think Magnay will head elsewhere, I dont think he'd be too cheap and if Kay comes back, then Mooney will be fine at the 5

Jesse good for another year

Travers at SG then Steindl back up SF.

Norton a key to resign, but seems loyal and enjoying his time in Perth, especially if his BFF comes back next year

Reply #854173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No way Norton will come off the bench, he's a free agent and right in the sight of JJ. Where will Kay end up or is it back to Europe.

Reply #854180 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Maybe Machado likes his time in the west and fills that import PG role?
Machado is contracted to Cairns.

Reply #854183 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

If you're suggesting Norton should move to the bench, you don’t understand the game. Period.

Reply #854189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Contracts are worthless, it's been proven time and time again, players want out clubs release them.

Reply #854194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kay is better then even money to return to Perth.

Reply #854201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word to the wise(United) this is probaly going to be you're best and only shot to beat a weak Perth team because next season it will look a lot more different

Reply #854202 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

koberulz sauce fail

Reply #854229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus Brandt is back in Perth and was at game 3. Chance to return to the cats?

Reply #854235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And if so, by tomorrow night?

Reply #854238 | Report this post

no name  
Years ago

may as well throw Plumlee back in the mix....has he finished sipping pina coladas and whatever he opted to do while waiting for Cotton's citizenship to go through?

Reply #854241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have a good laugh but once Kay returns I'll be here saying I told you so

Reply #854252 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Kay IS returning to Perth. That is a fact.
Whether he's returning to the Wildcats, is a different question.
This also a question of WHEN!
Timing wise, I expect Kay wants to spend at least another year in Europe, and beyond that who knows.
If and when he returns to the NBL, the Wildcat will be at the top of his list. But if they are not an option, he's a professional and will play where ever he gets a good offer.

Hopefully Jook will be back from injury, and that would see Tommy retire again and go back to playing for Rockingham.

I would think they would look to recruit a local starting Centre. Whether that is Magnay, Brandt, or Reath.

Retaining Mooney would be great. I feel that, like a lot of the great imports we've had in the NBL, he would just be too small to play the same role in the NBA.
Europe might be an option, and it would also depend on finding enough money to retain him.

Even assuming Cotton naturalises, depending on how much they have to pay Norton or their starting centre, they may opt to run with only two imports, allowing two marquees.

They are very keen to retain Norton, and he is earmarked as the next captain.
you may just depend how much the JJ's are prepared to throw at him to become their first marquee and inaugural Captain. Whilst he is not necessarily Marquee calibre, he would be a great pick up for them, and a good fit for the image they are trying to develop. And I don't see him leaving the cats for chump change.

They will need another point guard. If Norton stays, and no other local options present, then possibly they go for a cheaper import combo guard to come off the bench.

Reply #854285 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

You have to imagine that whatever Wildcats are paying Magnay and whatever they paid Brisbane for his services, that that hasn't been good business to this point and he only has a few games left to prove he was worth the risk.

Reply #854829 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:53 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754