Anonymous
Years ago

Kemba traded for Horford

Celtics must have been really worried about his injury and contract. OKC gains another 1st and maybe another if Kemba can rehab there and they move expiring contract next year.

The Boston Celtics have agreed to trade Kemba Walker, the No. 16 pick in the 2021 draft and a 2025 second rounder to the Oklahoma City Thunder for Al Horford, Moses Brown and a 2023 second round pick.

Horford left the Celtics to sign with the Philadelphia 76ers during the 2019 offseason. Horford has two years and $53.5 million left on his contract, with a partial guarantee of $14.5 million for 2022-23.

Walker is due $73 million over the next two seasons. With the Thunder in the middle of a rebuild, they plan on working with Walker as they previously did with Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony and Horford.

Topic #48736 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess we know what brad stevens thought of kemba lol

Reply #854694 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Presti needs to turn off trade override, it's not fair.

Reply #854697 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I would've been okay with bringing Kemba back next season. With a normal off-season to rehab and rest up, he potentially could've been a deadly sixth man for the Celtics.

BUT, the Celtics front office have more info about Kemba's injury, so just got to trust that they made the right call. If Horford performs as well as he did in the season just gone and Brown develops into a useful backup, this should finally give the Celtics some depth at centre and makes a fair amount of sense.

Hoping they sign Fournier for $17-20m per. I think with an off-season to learn Boston's systems, he will be a really valuable 3rd offensive option.

Some seem to be calling for a starting PG to be signed, but I don't see where they're getting one from?

I think Smart has really improved his play-making over the past season and would be fine with him starting along with Brown, Nesmith, Tatum and Williams or Horford. Fournier, Thompson, Langford, Pritchard, Brown off the bench is a good group that can grow with the Jays.

Maybe see if they can snag a couple of savvy vets, but not a big deal if they can't. Edwards, Tacko, Waters time to move on.

Now they just need a good coach! Could do worse than talk to Nate McMillan before he commits to the Hawks! Carlisle too maybe, although that would depend on how they think the Jays would respond to his style.

Reply #854703 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kemba wanted to be traded, hello OKC! The guy never should've left Charlotte.

Reply #854711 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Yeah, that was the rumour Zodiac. Obviously, if true, another reason for the Celtics to trade him now.

Its really unfortunate the way the CBA almost guarantees that star players will demand contracts they're not worth at around 29-30 years of age, forcing most teams to trade a player who they have invested heavily in and who has probably been a fan favourite for nearly a decade.

Instead of playing out their careers in the town where they had most of their success, many of them just bounce around from team to team, because they can never live up to the production their salary demands.

Horford is a good example for the Celtics. He took the big pay day with Philly and based on his comments and those of his sister, he regretted it almost from day one. Kemba may end up feeling the same, depending on what happens in OKC.

Other examples are Wall, Griffin, Westbrook, Paul, Harden... all great players whose gigantic contracts basically destroyed their team's chance of competing and eventually forced them to be traded.

Reply #854759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring back Scary Terry, with Ball as PG he should be cheap. Or do they trade Smart for someone serviceable. Or take the risk and trade Brown and assets for Lillard if Portland decide to change it up. Or maybe biggest trade of superstars, Tatum straight up for Lillard. Boston and Portland are sort of in same situation, best players that are close to same position with McCallum a small shooting guard and Dame a scoring PG.

Reply #854766 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

With the benefit of hindsight, the Celtics should've kept Scary Terry! At the time, 99% of people would’ve said Kemba is a far better player though! Turns out age and injuries are a bitch!

I actually don’t think they need to upgrade at the point (unless they can somehow get Fox or someone equally unrealistic). Smart really improved his playmaking last season and gives them a very solid starter on both ends of the floor. I’d be fine with him as the starting point, with Pritchard his main backup. Could maybe bring in a TJ McConnell or similar for injury cover.

Portland are in a much tougher situation than Boston, because their two stars are 30ish, haven’t been able to get it done in the post season and they are capped out with no way to really improve the supporting cast quickly. They are almost at the point where they’ll have to trade Lillard and reboot I think.

If Portland wanted Brown for Lillard, I don’t think there is anyway the Celtics would do that. Yes Lillard is better, but he’s a little guard with big mileage who is almost 31. At most, he might give the Celtics a two year window IF they can get enough of the right pieces around him and Tatum.

I think the Jays have it in them to lead Boston to multiple NBA Finals, so there’s not many players I would trade either for at this point!

Reply #854814 | Report this post

Hydra 83  
Years ago

Simply put there has been no real leadership on the Celtics, while on the floor since Al Horford left Boston.At times it was Smart or Walker (when he played). Most felt that responsibility should have been Tatum's but he is too much of a nice guy and a bit green(no pun intended)to be a leader; a great scorer though.Some say Brown could be that guy. And this was the problem too many chiefs or just the opposite - no one took responsibility.. especially when things went south. Everyone has to BELIEVE in one leader on the floor and Al Horford was that guy .. So ya bring back Al. While Walker appeared to be the answer to Ervin's leaving;it just did not work out. walker's knee was the problem and at the point guard position you need consistency and stability.In the playoffs his play making appeared sloppy and out of control.Perhaps it was due to bad luck or maybe it was the year of the injury (that has dominated the NBA in 2021). So I had to cheer Brad Stevens's call on this trade.The Celtics need a real point guard;(during the regular season I was pine-ING for Scary Terry; but seeing him in the playoffs I was reminded that he seemed to miss really important shots during in the most important possessions.I longed to have the Raptors back court (Kyle Lowery) if only ... Marcus Smart is too streaky to rely on (Though his toughness and defense are great). I expect that Brad is looking at the draft for a point guard because i don't see one on the free agent market.

Reply #854863 | Report this post

Hydra 83  
Years ago

Loved seeing Kimba take high jump 3's when he was on a role wow! - just not enough. This league right or wrong (injuries)will face many changes perhaps an experienced point guard may become available, Teams Like the Heat,Trailblazers and the Raptors may have offers ie... Lowery/Vanbleef,Jimmy Buckets/Tyler Herro - possibly too expensive for any of these guys. Could they trade Marcus Smart along with the "Time Lord"-out of control Williams along with 2 first round picks (2024/25) for DAMIAN LILLARD?? (dream on and on)!! At the end of the day Boston needs a reliable and steady point guard. You have to see that Boston now will have too many big men, eventually something has to give.Horford will provide solid on the court leadership for the Celtics, The Nets will be looking for some big guys... Impressed by Brown on the nets.. Boston's Pritchard at times appeared special but when you really needed him to make the import shot he would miss (playoff pressure)... Your going to have to pay the price to get a solid point guard.. On top of all that -in Today's NBA star players must want and can refuse to go and play in Boston.. Boston needs a better image(a trouble spot as far as race/discrimination is concerned; a lot of players do not want to play in Boston Massachusetts). And Who is going to coach the Celtics now that Brad Stevens has been kicked up stairs? The right coach may also bring in a star player to join Tatum and Brown; turning Boston into a destination landing spot and not a transitional destination spot - that it is now.

Reply #854877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Going rate for Lillard would be 4 1st rounders. But what have the Celtics achieved with Brown and Tatum the last few years. Of course they are young and the future awaits, but if they could get Lillard who's in his prime for next couple of years, at the expense of Brown and see what they can get for Smart, although there are stories the locker room didn't like how Stevens favoured him, then they become contenders. Even if it's Brown and Smart for Lillard and Jurkic

Reply #854884 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

"But what have the Celtics achieved with Brown and Tatum the last few years."

Are you serious? Celtics have made the ECF three out of five years and for two of those, Tatum and Brown were two of the three best players! (First one was more Isaiah Thomas for sure).

What other team with two of its best players under 25 has made the Conference Finals as often as that in that same time period? The answer is none!

Reply #854898 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Hydra, I think you're right that the team needs better leadership and to create the right environment to attract that extra piece. Horford should be a stabilising influence, but I think the real key is to find a coach who can bring that leadership and create a positive, but accountable culture in the locker room.

So I suspect the next coach will be a guy who has been a successful NBA player, is a leader and who the players will respect for his achievements. I think that probably means guys like Cassell, Billups, Kidd or even McMillan if they could talk him out of signing with the Hawks.

I don't think the Celtics have too many bigs. It's a nice change from the last few years! Horford, Thompson and Williams are all guys who can't be relied on to stay healthy for 82 games plus playoffs. I think they will all benefit from limited minutes (no more than about 25 per game) and games off to keep them in decent condition. Brown could develop into something, but you wouldn't want to go into the season relying on him to play big minutes all season.

I think it'll only be for one season too. Thompson's out of contract end of next season and there's a high chance Horford's expiring contract is traded after next season if they think they can make a run at a guy like Beal. By then I think we'll know if Rob Williams can be the long-term starting centre and we'll start to get an idea if Brown is a keeper.

Reply #854904 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:06 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754