Jack Toft
Years ago

GF Series: Game 3 Friday Night - The Final Countdown

This is a must win game for the Wildcats who went home empty handed after the first two finals at home in the West. Captain Jesse Wagstaff went scoreless in both games and couldn't engineer a point. He was colder than a Russian mother-in-law's kiss. He for one will be looking to warm up in game 3. I can't find the last time Wagstaff went duck eggs on the scoreboard twice in a row. You could bowl me over with a feather. I reckon a United team goal is to make it a hat trick.

If the NBL wanted a home team to drop two GF games they would have subbed in another team to play the GF.

But let's not take anything away from the Melbourne team. Goulding has been playing a Captain's knock and Jock Landale is walking the talk. Baba played an exceptional game in game 2 and he is bound to cause some headaches for the Wildcats.

The Cats will need a hero in game 3 in order to push it to game 4 and beyond, and with a few Cats licking their wounds on the sidelines, will be hoping for some Melbourne Magic for a few of them to come good.

It's an uphill battle for them and it's hard in war to overcome an enemy in the high ground, which United have. We cannot underestimate the power of the Cats, but this is not the Championship you are looking for.

United to cut down their nets and add to the silverware cabinet.

Topic #48762 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth just concede.

Reply #855806 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United was expected to win from the start of the season and Perth wasn't meant to be in the playoffs.

It is what it is for us Perth faithful with injuries and cotton not getting his citizenship and having probably one of the worst roster put together for a long time.

Perth ain’t Sydney to concede and should give the right for United to celebrate a championship at home with family and friends.

To many wounded soldiers to keep fighting a losing battle but hopefully they put up a fight to the end.

Reply #855807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United were expected...Wildcats weren't...cry me a river and take your ass kicking lick a man.

Reply #855810 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

He's right though - odds-wise when the season began United were 2-1 favourites with the Wildcats at 12-1.

Reply #855813 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I looked at Perth's roster at the start and thought oh shit.
Then we had a great regular season until Cotton got injured.

Nobody expects Perth to win .
United by 26.

Adelaide and Melbourne supporters to celebrate.

Reply #855814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne will put Perf finally to the sword. Melbourne by 20.

Also, you Perf fans need to drop the obsession with Sydney pulling out of the finals last season.

1. It was due to this thing called a global pandemic. It was a serious decision that wasn't made lightly and pained the players to concede.

2. Of course Perf didn't have a problem continuing the series, they were flying home regardless.

3. To be fair though, Game 3 should have been played in Perf and games 4 and 5 in Sydney.

Reply #855817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

1. The players didn't make the decision.

2 & 3. This series has shown that two teams are willing to continue a series taking precautions, and in some ways giving up advantages that normally occur during the series. Smith wasn't willing to do that, and his preference was to forfeit instead of lose.

He was still complaining about it a week or so ago. Maybe it's him that needs to get over it.

Reply #855818 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They also need to drop the obsession that they weren't expected to make playoffs.

When you have the best player in the league, roster stability and a strong system and the finances to to adjust and top up your roster, and a track record of making the playoffs every year, you’re going to make it again unless something goes really wrong.

There are few very media predictions, however the ones that existed placed Perth in top 4 by end of the year.

Perth did "as expected" this year.

Reply #855819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know they don't speak for everyone but I'm pretty sure that the three blokes on Overtime all predicted Perth to miss the finals.

Also, the thread on here that you recently brought back up showed a 50/50 mix of predictions that they wouldn't make the playoffs.

Just because you thought they'd still be good, doesn't mean that was the consensus view or that it was only pessimistic Perth (sorry, Perf) fans saying they wouldnt.

Reply #855822 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Adelaide and Melbourne supporters to celebrate.

Oh, you make it sound like Adelaide fans don't like Perf?

BTW, For Sixers fans watching the slaughter on the big screen at "The Ed" on Friday, I'll get the first round

Reply #855823 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a Perth fan, I don't dislike any fanbase as an automatic rule. Even teams we've had rivalries with, the fan bases don't worry me. I don't think I've ever started a post with "fans of Team X are always..."

I'd like to say I don't know why other fanbase dislike Perth but it's pretty obvious - jealousy.

Reply #855824 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Personally I like the 36ers and their fanbase. Call us feral but we're pretty kind-hearted people who love the NBL.

Reply #855834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#882, so you make your opinions on what they see on overtime, that's your mistake. Smart punters new Perth would play finals, I sold them short and predicted third.
Kings players wanted to play on, the imports at time wanted home as they were extremely worried about there families. Smith made a decision that was in line with health advice. Kings had injuries to lisch and Bogut, Moller just returning from long absence so were long shots anyway.
Perth was leading series two, one, the series could not be completed so correct decision was made.
Perth have not stopped gloating about it since.
Perth supporters now seem to think injuries is a good excuse for themselves, if it makes you feel better, fine. I don’t believe Gleeson will.

Melbourne to stop the three peat. I believe this will be closer than most think, Perth are still very competitive and won’t die wandering.
Melbourne by 5.

Reply #855840 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Kings had injuries to lisch and Bogut, Moller just returning from long absence so were long shots anyway.
Perth was leading series two, one, the series could not be completed so correct decision was made."

The series could have been completed. A number of options were made available to Sydney but they chose not to entertain them because it disadvantaged them. They were the ones who called in the lawyers to make sure crowds weren't involved, they still went down a game, yet continue to whinge about the outcome. Not sure it's Perth fans you should be criticising here.

Reply #855844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"When you have the best player in the league, roster stability and a strong system and the finances to to adjust and top up your roster, and a track record of making the playoffs every year, you're going to make it again unless something goes really wrong."

Tend to agree with KET. Perth have a record of making the changes necessary, mid-season, if things aren't on track or major injury intervenes. Their recruitment of Magnay mid-season was in keeping with that approach. Just didn't work out as well as expected.

Unfortunately for them, something went 'really wrong' too late to be able to fix it. Even then, they were able to adjust well enough to win their semi-final series. And this grand final series is not yet finished.

In our current competition, Perth are automatic finalists every season unless something major changes how they go about running things over there Or 3-4 other clubs improve how they do things, on an ongoing basis.

Reply #855860 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I honestly picked Perth to miss the playoffs this season, just. I can't remember but I think I had them finishing fifth. My reasoning was that (a) the bench was terrible, four guys who probably wouldn't make the roster of any other team in the league (Jervis, Bairstow, White, Wani) and (b) the playoff streak has to end at some point.

Quality organisation, quality culture, quality coach (begrudgingly), the surprisingly high level of play by Mooney and redemption of Blanchfield averted that.

Reply #855862 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

They also need to drop the obsession that they weren't expected to make playoffs.

When you have the best player in the league, roster stability and a strong system and the finances to to adjust and top up your roster, and a track record of making the playoffs every year, you're going to make it again unless something goes really wrong.

Its not a few randoms that proclaimed they would not make the playoffs.

Many experts including the bookies had them outside the playoffs.

I remembered being shocked that the bookies had them at long odds to make the playoffs, but it had merit.

- Perth lost - Martin, Kay, White (the good one), Plumlee
- And replaced with Blanchfield (underachiever), Mooney (an unknown rookie), White (the bad one), Jarryd Bairstow.

This significant downgrade was the basis for the prediction.

Who was to know :
- Mooney would be All NBL first team.
- Blanchfield would flourish and be a reliable shooter.
- Bairstow being more useful than his brother.

That prediction was found to be wrong of course, which is why people are saying Perth have done more than expected (also has merit).

Reply #855878 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The odds at season tip-off had the Wildcats ranked sixth.

It's easy with the benefit of hindsight to say the Wildcats were going to make the playoffs. A large part of it can be attributed to Gleeson who even though was already considered the best coach in the league has this season solidified himself as the GOAT. He won't be underestimated as head coach of the Wildcats ever again.

Reply #855886 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Gleeson may be the GOAT Wildcats coach but Brian Goorjian is the GOAT NBL coach.

6 x Championships
12 x Grand Finals
21 x Consecutive Semi-Finals
6 x Coach of the Year

Reply #855890 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

And even among those who tipped the Wildcats to make a playoff appearance, it was generally under the assumption that Cotton would naturalise and they would get an additional import in.

Reply #855892 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Jealous Bitter Dickheads will always find a reason to hate the Wildcats, and then excuse their bitter jealously by claiming "oh it's Perth fans, they're so arrogant, they need to stop obsessing, wah, wah, wah."

As a Perth fan, I literally couldn't be prouder with what the team has achieved this season. I'm sorry if your team hasn't given you anything to feel proud about.

And I'm not obsessed, but what else do you want us to say? Once Cotton got injured, we were never a chance in this series and Melbourne were destined to win. And full congratulations to them.
Anybody who actually loves the league (rather than just hating the Wildcats) wanted to see at least some competitiveness in the GF series. And with the rearranged fixtures, we managed to do that for 4 or 5 quarters across 2 games.

From a league perspective, it is a little disappointing that most of the Cats stayed healthy only long enough to beat the Hawks, but I still think the first two games delivered a bit of excitement.

Melbourne have been a dominant team all season, and full credit to them. Sure Landale is a star, but many others in their squad have exceeded expectations to get them where they are. Hopefully this puts paid to those who claim Vickerman only inherited good teams.

They ARE going to win the championship, probably in a sweep.
I WISH the series was tied and we could discuss strategies for each team to win, but circumstances have made it rather one-sided.

I'm not sure what to hope for tomorrow night, or how the game will play out. Who knows, maybe MU get a bit complacent, and the Cats decide to "win one for the gipper." That at least would inject a bit more entertainment into the series.
But I suspect MU will be fired up for the sweep, and that Perth (whilst playing with Pride) will be already making plans for next season.

Reply #855894 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Gleeson may be the GOAT Wildcats coach but Brian Goorjian is the GOAT NBL coach.

Gleeson doesn't send his clubs broke though. ;)

Reply #855901 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I'm pretty sure that the three blokes on Overtime all predicted Perth to miss the finals."

I'm not saying you’re wrong - I thought Liam and Corey did have them in? I’m sure Koberulz will tell me if I’m wrong.

“ In our current competition, Perth are automatic finalists every season unless something major changes how they go about running things over there Or 3-4 other clubs improve how they do things, on an ongoing basis.”

Agreed - Perth are a very well run club, the best run club tbh, and they’re Spurs like in nature. For many years people said Spurs were too old and wouldn’t make playoffs, and they kept doing it during the Duncan era. Perth get the same respect from me in terms of trusting that they’ll put together a team that will compete for the championship year in year out. Even with injuries, they know how to maximise their player potential and get the roles right so that they don’t rely too heavily on one person. That’s how we know we can trust Perth to be up there each year. Obviously when you’re playing the top side in a grand final, losing someone like Cotton makes the task extremely hard and we expect United will get it done from here. They fight like we’d expect them too nonetheless.

“ I honestly picked Perth to miss the playoffs this season, just. I can't remember but I think I had them finishing fifth.”

You had a shocker of a ladder prediction - you had Perth missing, SEM finishing close to last etc. Incidentally, that thread the OP linked the Roars prediction- which had Perth top 4.

“Jealous Bitter Dickheads will always find a reason to hate the Wildcats, and then excuse their bitter jealously by claiming "oh it's Perth fans, they're so arrogant, they need to stop obsessing, wah, wah, wah."”

I don’t think people dislike Perth the club - what you see in this thread is a lot of people saying why Perth are such a good, well run club. They dislike the loud minority of Perth fans who push annoying silliness like Perth vs the World, exactly like your post does.

Usually it escalates to conspiracy theories and attempts to focus on little irrelevant details to come up with some grand conclusion on how everything is designed to hurt Perth.

That kind of polarising theatrical self indulged rambling makes it hard to distinguish whether I’m in a hoops forum or a Trump rally.

Reply #855907 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Jealous Bitter Dickheads will always find a reason to hate the Wildcats, and then excuse their bitter jealously by claiming "oh it's Perth fans, they're so arrogant, they need to stop obsessing, wah, wah, wah."
And you'll be here for them to point to as an example.

" I'm pretty sure that the three blokes on Overtime all predicted Perth to miss the finals."

I'm not saying you're wrong - I thought Liam and Corey did have them in? I’m sure Koberulz will tell me if I’m wrong.
I pay zero attention to Corey, but in Liam's season preview article he said they wouldn't make the playoffs with the roster they had, but he expected Cotton to naturalise and an import to come in and provide enough to get them there.

Reply #855918 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

For what it's worth it doesn’t diminish anything - whether you believe they did better than expected or they’ve been Spurs-like and got it done again, they’re both inherently positive.

People should remember this though for when the annual preseason "why have Perth decided to not make a competitive roster" thread appears. Have a little more faith - the benefit of making the playoffs a gazillion times in a row is you get to bypass “we don’t look as competitive on paper as normal” because you have something more important: reputation for getting the job done.

Whilst you have the best player in the league, the rest of the roster will sort itself out.

Reply #855921 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like you're still trying to pin the negative predictions solely on Perth fans.

Reply #855924 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I just had a look on Ticketek. Only single seats left. Good stuff.

Reply #855929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Gleeson doesn't send his clubs broke though. ;)
Neither does Goorjian. Stop perpetuating that myth it's utter rubbish.

Reply #855941 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

This thread got me thinking by each club currently in the NBL who is the best all time coach for each team.
Perth is Gleeson
Who are the others...

Reply #855959 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

As Mitchell is Phoenix first and only coach he gets the nod as all time best for that club

Reply #855960 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Goorjian is the Kings GOAT.

You said "currently in the NBL" so that rules out all the other clubs he coached that went under.

Reply #855961 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Correct Perthworld.
Lemanis took NZ to three straight titles so he is the GOAT for them.

Reply #855962 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I researched a stat recently and posted it on here, about the number of players from each team who played at least 32 games out of 36.

From memory

Perth- 10 players
NZ- 3 players
Everybody else- between 4 and 7 players. Mostly 5 or 6.

So Perth had a massive player availability advantage through the regular season compared to every other team. It wasn't some ridiculously amazing effort to make the GF. They drew the flat track Hawks in the semis too, who had a 3-10 record against top 4 teams with an average losing margin of 15 or 20 points in those 10 losses.

Pre season predictions are notoriously difficult in a sport like NBL due to imports being hit and miss. This year many underestimated the difficulty for NZ of playing the season away. And most people had Cairns in the top 4, the bookies had them at $1.30. They were absolutely ridiculous odds of course, a good example of why bookies odds shouldn't be used to make a point about how likely team A or B was to make playoffs.

Reply #855963 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Having said all that, Perth has done exceptionally well in the first two games despite all the absences and Norton playing injured, so I can understand if people want to suggest Perth would've done just fine even if they had availability issues during the season like every other team did.

Reply #855964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It wasn't some ridiculously amazing effort to make the GF."

OK then.

Reply #855965 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

When you have

The best or 2nd best coach in the league,

The best player in the league,

a bunch of experienced role players,

a budget to replace poor imports mid season,

The biggest home crowd in the league

You're going to make the playoffs year in year out unless something goes badly wrong eg a terrible run with injuries. This year it was the opposite- a particularly good run with injuries comparative to everybody else. Until now. I'm just saying, don't act so surprised. That's all.

Reply #855966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Funny, those factors never come in to your other on-paper comparisons. Are you now finally admitting your previous analyses have been way off the mark?

Reply #855967 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" other on-paper comparisons"

With what? Melbourne?

Reply #855970 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

My previous analysis this season has proven fairly accurate.

Reply #855974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The too busy non-poster is very busy it seems

Reply #855975 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

About 20 posts this week and mostly pretty short by my standards. Yeah I am busy.

Reply #855976 | Report this post

Jojo5  
Years ago

are you going to the game LV?

Reply #855977 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

No unfortunately- I rarely make it to games these days.

Enjoy, if you're going!

Reply #855978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"My previous analysis this season has proven fairly accurate."

According to you. Your analyses are generally nothing more than who is better on paper in your opinion, plus some cherry-picked recent match up results. Yesterday was the first time I've ever really seen you consider a clubs system, but it was used to downplay Perth's success this year.

Reply #855982 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Obviously you're not paying much attention.

Reply #855983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's been the same for years. You'll never change.

Reply #855984 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hopefully I keep getting predictions right, like I did this year.

Reply #855986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What about last year?

Reply #855987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And I'm not sure what predictions you think you've got right this year.

Reply #855988 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What about it?

I got one GF game wrong, like sevwral fans of the winning team did in the same thread, is that what you're referring to?

Reply #855989 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Several*

Reply #855990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not talking about the prediction, I'm talking about how you come to your conclusions.

Reply #855993 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You're a broken record. At least play a funkier tune.

Reply #855994 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What else can I say? Your predictions have always revolved around on-paper match ups. You are more often than not completely wrong.

Now the penny has dropped how far off the mark you have been, you are suddenly saying that having team cohesion etc is a no-brainer and it's not that big of a deal that Perth made another GF.

Reply #855996 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha. what a ridiculous comment. Start paying more attention.

But to your point, sheer talent is a huge factor. It's a primary consideration. Just not the only consideration. Everyone knows this.

Reply #856010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How many teams have had "sheer talent" yet failed? Especially in the past decade.

Reply #856011 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Sheer talent hasn't done anything in this league for years except for Bryce Cotton...

Reply #856018 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Of course but good systems fail without enough talent too.

Wright, Lemanis, Beveridge. All good coaches. How many championships have they won?

Just a few.

And when did they happen?

When Wright coached a super talented, stacked Brisbane team built out of the pockets of Eddy Groves, and when Lemanis coached a NZ group with Jackson, Bruton, Abercrombie etc (And Penney one year) in a time when the NBL lacked the talent it does now. And when Bevo coached Perth.

As soon as they went to mid-tier/small clubs without deep pockets for talented players, they stopped winning titles. What does that teach you about the importance of sheer talent and roster depth?

Reply #856024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those coaches didn't fail in those markets, they had some quality seasons, but they weren't able to win titles.

Reply #856034 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not the point. The point was whether talent matters. Of course it does. It's a primary consideration.

How many titles did Gleeson win in Townsville or Melbourne?

Reply #856037 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

That's so true, Trover won none and let’s not forget he got sacked by the Melbourne Tigers. Very hard to win a title when your team is on a low budget.

That’s where the NBL needs to stop allowing big clubs like Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and New Zealand spending over their budgets.

It’s time for the NBL to bring back the Quarter-finals. Sudden death 1st vs. 6th, 2nd vs. 5th, 3rd vs. 4th.

Highest ranked team will make it through as an example 6th Beats 1st, 5th beats 2nd and 3rd beats 4th.

Seeds that go through are 3rd, 5th, 6th and 1st who were highest ranked team.

Otherwise bring back Elimination finals which the 2 top seeds have a bye during the 1st round. 3rd vs. 6th and 4th vs. 5th. But would much rather if every team played in 1st round of finals like the AFL finals.

Reply #856094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has him being sacked by Melbourne got to do with anything?

Reply #856095 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

If you lose a best-of-three, you don't deserve a second chance.

What exactly is achieved by expanding the playoffs?

Reply #856096 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

That's so true, Trevor didn't win any titles then and let’s not forget Trevor got sacked by the Melbourne Tigers when the Tigers were struggling financially. Very hard to win a title when your team is on a low budget.

That’s where the NBL needs to stop allowing big clubs like Perth, Melbourne, Sydney and New Zealand spending over their budgets.

It’s time for the NBL to bring back the Quarter-finals. Sudden death, 1st vs. 6th, 2nd vs. 5th, 3rd vs. 4th.

Highest ranked team will make it through as an example 6th beats 1st, 5th beats 2nd and 3rd beats 4th.

Seeds that go through are 3rd, 5th, 6th and 1st who were highest ranked team. 2nd and 4th seeds miss out.

Otherwise bring back the Elimination finals which the 2 top seeds have a bye during the 1st round of finals.

3rd vs. 6th and 4th vs. 5th. But would much rather if every team played in the 1st round of finals like the beginning of the AFL finals

Reply #856097 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

NBL needs to bring in another 2 teams soon as possible so then the NBL could bring in the top-8 and have an even quarter-finals series like the Magic, Tigers days. It was very competitive.

Reply #856100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Travers, Steindl and Norton all in for tonights game.

Reply #856106 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

8/12 teams making the playoffs was an absolute joke the last time they tried it.

Reply #856107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton has played the first 2 and wasn't even close to being fit. Just because they are suiting up doesn’t mean they are ready to go

Reply #856108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If we have 8/12 teams why not just give everyone a medal because everyone is special

Reply #856111 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Top 4 is enough.
At most I wouldn't mind a one off match 4 v 5. Winner into semis.

Reply #856112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Norton has played the first 2 and wasn't even close to being fit. Just because they are suiting up doesn't mean they are ready to go"

Its better than him not playing at all.

Reply #856114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're still 0-2 so it didn't affect the end result

Reply #856115 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I wouldn't mind a top six once we get to ten teams. But no lucky loser.

Reply #856116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You're still 0-2 so it didn't affect the end result

What?

Reply #856118 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Lucky losers in playoffs is just flat out wrong, especially in a series-based format. Never again please NBL.

Reply #856119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#108 once you're on the floor you are fit, all teams have players carrying injuries. Don’t make excuses.

Reply #856123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm 108 I’m not making any excuses. I’m just saying Norton clearly wasn’t fit to play. Tough as nails but it didn’t do them any good playing an injured player

Reply #856124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm not #108 but it didn't sound like an excuse to me. Sure, many guys have injuries and no doubt we'll hear the standard Post-GF hero story about Chris Goulding playing with hemerroids but Norton was clearly labouring throughout game 2. No one else on the court was showing any signs of struggling to move in any way more than him.

Reply #856125 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I'd say Norton will still be fairly hampered, he might be feeling good right now with the extra days off, but one slight bump when he tries to get around a defender and he'll be back to limping unfortunately. We obviously still think we can take a game hence why he'll be out there fighting through it.

Reply #856126 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

With ten teams top-6 would be good, only issue having a top-6 is that the top-2 seeded teams will have to have a bye to the Semi-finals like the 2008/09 format.

If we had top-6 this season then Sydney and Brisbane would of qualified. It would of been interesting to see how far both teams would of gone?

Best idea for 2021/21 would be?

* 2 Elimination-finals, 3rd verses 6th, 4th verses 5th. (best-of-3)

* 2 Semi-finals, 1st verses 4th, 2nd verses 3rd. (best-of-3 or 5)

* 1 Grand Final, 1st verses 2nd. (best-of-5)

Reply #856130 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Otherwise if the were NBL crazy they could bring back top-8 and the two bottom teams miss out so they should.

Like the good old days in the 90's.

* 4 Quarter-finals, 1st verses 8th, 2nd verses 7th, 3rd verses 6th, 4th verses 5th. (best-of-3)

* 2 Semi-finals, 1st verses 4th, 2nd verses 3rd. (best-of-3)

* 1 Grand Final, 1st verses 2nd. (best-of-5)

Reply #856131 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

"if the NBL were crazy" :/

Reply #856133 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

With ten teams top-6 would be good, only issue having a top-6 is that the top-2 seeded teams will have to have a bye to the Semi-finals like the 2008/09 format.
Those sudden death games were crap, but the system used in 2000 or so was fine.

Reply #856136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bogut, Lisch were under extreme difficulty in finals last season, Bogut more, could hardly walk properly, didn't see any sympathy him or Lisch around these parts. I’ve congratulated Perth all season on their performances, tipped them to make finals, they don’t need excuses made. Once you are on the court, no excuses.

Reply #856138 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Wait, my bad.

I meant (best-of-3) for the Elimination-finals.

I still would prefer if we had Qualifying finals rather then Elimination-finals. Better if every team can play in finals without the top-2 teams having a bye. Make it hard no matter where you finish.

Having the highest seed does suck in some ways, but it would make all the NBL teams competitive in the regular season.

Off to the final to see United win hopefully, fingers crossed.

Reply #856141 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

4th Vs 5th doesn't work.
It either puts enormous time constraints on the winning team (rolling straight into the SF)
Or you waste a week with every other team sitting around waiting.

Lucky Loser sounds fine, but in practice has a lot of difficulties. Sure, if the 1st placed team somehow loses to the 6th placed, LL looks good. But if it's the 4th placed, then who really wants to see them survive?

In reality, I think the current system worked well. There was intense interest until the last few games on who would make the finals. We had good SFs, that each went to 3 games. And the two teams that dominated the season won through. You can't account for injuries. But for those this would have been one of the greatest GF series of all time.

Reply #856149 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who gives a shit, if cotton was playing with a full roster they ain't dropping 2 at home period.

Money spent and talent even cotton playing United had win, playing dp’s and bairstow ain’t going to get it done and jervis, Wagstaff and white let’s be real

Reply #856152 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Bogut more, could hardly walk properly, didn't see any sympathy him or Lisch around these parts."

I wonder how Bogut would have performed if game 3 was played in Perth like was suggested. Surely the flight back to sydney and quick turnaround time wasn't good for him. So yeah, little sympathy because Paul Smith was too short sighted.

Reply #856161 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Ooh boy ... 1995 vibes early in this one

Reply #856178 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

1989, even.

Reply #856180 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Could be worse.

Reply #856182 | Report this post

Andrew Bogut  
Years ago

More like 1984
#pizzagate #conspiracy #ritapanahi

Reply #856183 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

When #expecttheunexpected becomes the lamest tagline.

Reply #856184 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'm so proud of this second quarter.

Reply #856188 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I'm so proud of this second quarter.

Ditto. Tremendous effort.

Reply #856189 | Report this post

Andrew Bogut  
Years ago

Wildcats basketball.

Reply #856190 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Wildcats overachieving, or United just not as good as they think? A little of both I reckon.

Reply #856193 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Oh man!

Wildcats thought they'd have a turn at coming back from 10 down.... Whatever the result the best team wins on the day but I gotta say this will do wonders for the team next season, Trev will have more confidence in the bench, the DP boys now know they can play at this level and will be better for it.

And Baba is a stud

Reply #856194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add Cotton in this team and Melbourne would be 0-2 coming into this game. Win by depth rather than talent.

Reply #856197 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United have done it all season, just to many subs for me, Goulding should play 30 minutes plus.

Reply #856198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is not available, you are making more assumptions that you can't prove.

Reply #856199 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Yeah, no doubt in my mind if both these teams were full strength, Cats would be taking this series in less than 5.

Reply #856200 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Our competitiveness is out of this world.

Kevin White is running the point FFS.

Reply #856201 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

and splashing threes on the buzzer.

Reply #856203 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Good to see the officials respecting Magnay's upper body.

Reply #856207 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Argh, another quarter-ending dagger made by United.

Reply #856208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope this series ends tonight so we don't have to put up with Trevor Gleeson anymore. The constant whinging is unbearable. He made a comment about the uneven foul count. It’s 13 all at three quarter time (not that it needs to be equal).

Reply #856209 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Somehow it was only a three point margin for a moment there.

Reply #856210 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

No matter what happens in the last 6 minutes a few things are certain.

This cats team can fight
This Melbourne team is deserving
Shane Heal was wrong

Proud of my team.

Reply #856211 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who would have thought an NBL game, and a Grand Final one at that, would be The Kevin White Show.

Reply #856212 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Dead set United. This might go down as the most undeserved championship ever.

Reply #856213 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale brain explosion on that three

Reply #856214 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

They deserve it if they beat the team that's opposite them.

Reply #856215 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Respect for how Perth has played this series.

Bring on Free Agency!!!

Reply #856216 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

OMG we're still fighting, see incredible - Mooney forces the turnover.

Reply #856217 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Melbourne are absolute soggy onions if they can't convincingly beat the team wildcats are putting on the floor

Reply #856218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs been excellent.

Reply #856219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This Perth team don't quit, so many injuries, so much heart

Reply #856220 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Shane Heal's big call on this series really highlights how awful he is as an analyst.

Reply #856222 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Perth win this series even without Cotton if everyone else is healthy.

Least deserving champions in NBL history.

Reply #856223 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

LOVE YA, WILDCATS!!!
What a team.

Congrats United.
What a vastly superior collection of talent.

Reply #856224 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

In my 35 seasons of following the Wildcats, this is my favourite team over that time. What heart, guts and superb coaching.

Congratulations Melbourne, deserved champions and the best team all year. Roll on next season!

Reply #856225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guess you really know nothing about basketball Perthworld if you don't know and appreciate K White. Perth would have been belted a lot more without White. Enjoy the sweep and 2 weeks of quarantining from here as well.

Reply #856226 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

This United team are the most unconvincing title winners in NBL history.

They didn't play with any finals intensity and coasted along against an injury-ravaged team who remained hungry. What a contrast.

Reply #856227 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Congrats United, congrats Wildcats. Bring on season 21/22!

I think we can all agree that Shane Heal was dead wrong as usual. :P

Reply #856228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great effort cats.

Melbourne clearly deserved champions.

Reply #856229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congrats to Melbourne United. They were the best team during the regular season and performed in the playoffs.

Credit to Perth. They never gave up.

Reply #856230 | Report this post

Andrew Bogut  
Years ago

The end result of this series shows how far off the mark LV was with his predictions.

Sensational effort from Perth, and i notice that the lack of celebration from the United players really shows how much they know how one sided the series was.

Reply #856231 | Report this post

Andrew Bogut  
Years ago

"Perth would have been belted a lot more without White.".

Perth wouldn't have lost if they had their starting backcourt. What a dumb thing to say.

Reply #856232 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Congratulations Melbourne and your fans, deserving champs. You can only beat the team that walks out against you.

Loved Landale in the post game, very humble.

As CG just said players sacrificed playing time to win a championship, will be interesting to see what they do when those guys disappear next season.

Great season, bring on the fun of free agency.

Reply #856233 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Melbourne closed that one out like they felt bad doing it. Remarkable that Perth were threatening at the end. Their effort against the odds would probably be the takeaway from the series.

Reply #856235 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Speaking of next season is it an October start?

Reply #856237 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good stuff post-game from Landale & Goulding.
They're in some nice form leading into Tokyo.

Reply #856238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can't be anything but super proud of Perth's effort in the GF. Missing their backcourt for most of the series yet still keeping it close every game is not something any other team could overcome.

Reply #856239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnificent season, sad it's over. Well done nbl.

Reply #856240 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulz  
Years ago

Congrats to MU. Been great all year.

Gotta say really proud of the Cats. Never gave up even with all the injuries. Great team character and already looking forward to next season. Yay the short offseason!!!

Reply #856243 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

"Perth would have been belted a lot more without White.".

Perth wouldn't have lost if they had their starting backcourt. What a dumb thing to say.

Classic, he clearly wanted to take a potshot at me and owned himself in the process.

Congratulations to United - you managed to do what Sydney couldn't last season.

The three-peat remains elusive.

Reply #856244 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I think there will be a Wagstaff press conference in the next week.

Reply #856245 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

It looked like Wags had a calf injury too. So that means Cotton, Norto, Steindl, Travers and Wags all played injured at some point in this series. Great effort by the team with the "next man up" mentality.

Reply #856246 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Across the three losses, and considering the injury woes the Cats had at the end of the season, to lose a series by 16 points is pretty damn impressive.

Reply #856247 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Landale Finals MVP. Well deserved.

Reply #856248 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah Landale nailed it with his performance in game 3. Solid across all three games but starred tonight.

Reply #856249 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Landale defence on Mooney was the highlight for me, really made it tough

Reply #856250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Haha salty Perf fans

Just getting in early.

Reply #856251 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Much respect to Chris Goulding. He used to be a young punk but has matured to be a leader of the NBL and great representative of the Australian program.

Reply #856254 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Classy speech from Goulding.

Reply #856255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

*former Perth Wildcat Chris Goulding

Reply #856256 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Quality speech by CG43

Reply #856257 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Who would have thought a young Bullets DP would get this far.

Reply #856258 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Haha salty Perf fans

Haha peppery Melben fans?

Reply #856259 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Speaking of next season is it an October start?

Heverin signed off by saying "See you in October."

Reply #856260 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yeah i agree about Goulding i find myself liking the bloke these days. I used to hate the way he carried himself on the court but his leadership in recent seasons and his post game speech was humble and gracious and just class.

Well done to United!

Reply #856261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Homicide signed off with...

*silent pause*

You know what?

*another long pause *

Congratulations Melbourne!

Quality analysis at the business end of the season.

Reply #856262 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hefron been a good find, great caller, Hooley been great, Gaze as well.

Reply #856264 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well done Melbourne.

Did what they were supposed to do this season- had the best roster, won the title. Finished 3 games clear on top and, after a huge scare against SEM in the semi final, swept the title.

The records will show that when healthy, they were rarely beaten.

Congrats to Perth. Faced huge adversity with all the injuries, but managed to compete until the dying seconds in 2 of the 3 games and were very competitive in the other. An incredible effort. Tenacious, disciplined and smart basketball.

Reply #856265 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Homicide epically failed there. What a tool.

Hopefully it's the last we see of him but I doubt it if NBL continue to produce the broadcasts.

Reply #856266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"after a huge scare against SEM in the semi final, swept the title."

You're desperate to be proven correct but you just aren't.

Reply #856267 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

That should say "well done MELBOURNE!" but to be perfectly honest the series bored me. As soon as the siren sounded I switched off and turned on the footy.

The result seemed inevitable. United only had two stretches where they really got on top and showcased what they're capable of- 3rd quarter game 1 and 1st quarter game 3 (last 3 quarters of Game 2 were more a slow burn). Perth, for the most part, were successful in keeping them reasonably contained and keeping the series ticking slowly at their desired tempo. This is why I was hoping United could play SEM in the GF- it would've been more exciting to watch. High tempo, high scoring bball. Perth is great to watch for the purists, but at my advancing age, when I'm tired after another long week, I just prefer being entertained.

Reply #856268 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And the footy was better tonight - St Kilda just kept Richmond to their lowest score at the MCG since the 1927 Grand Final!!

Reply #856270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There it is, first mention of salty Perf fans. No surprise it came from LV.

Reply #856272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's a nice sound though, the sweeping broom for all other teams.

Reply #856273 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Perth did what they had to do to give themselves a chance. I was also looking forward to an epic grand final series between these two teams at full strength. Hopefully United can keep this team together but its highly doubtful and then a Cotton inspired wildcats team can continue the rivalry next season ;)

Reply #856274 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All other teams that didn't come close to making the grand final? Yeah they must be thrilled.

Reply #856275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just wanted entertainment. Like a game of AFL that had a total of 11 goals scored. Tough night.

Reply #856276 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

At least in 2017 we got a 45-point game from Cotton. This series was dull and predictable right the way through, nothing special happened...complete waste of time for any neutral fans.

Reply #856278 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Wagstaff looks shot, surely he only comes back if rosters are increased again and he's just the 12th man on the end of the bench that’s maybe good for 5 a game ala her is this year

Reply #856279 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Wagstaff was pretty clearly carrying an injury.

Reply #856280 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

Cyclical performance by United in the end. Perth really came to play and never gave up. United's depth and defensive consistency was too much across the whole season.

The injuries were tough, however I also feel Gleeson should have played Cotton less during the regular season (38 minutes per game isn’t smart), whether or not this has had an impact it’s hard to know.

Thought Landale was far superior to Mooney this series, just looked dominant on the block throughout (ignoring the stats in a sense). Magnay needs to get fit for next year, certainly doesn’t look an NBA talent. Speaking of, how strong is Travers looking around the hoop, what a talent.

Reply #856281 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cotton suffered an impact injury, not a wear and tear injury.

Reply #856283 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The excuses for the sweep will be endless and tiring. If Perth fans weren't so arrogant some people may care. Me? Nah.

Reply #856287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are you tired from hearing one team was missing half their starters? Go to bed then. You'll be OK in the morning.

Reply #856289 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

What I did really enjoy through this series was the performances of CG and Landale

Vintage CG was the only consistent game breaker. Plenty of big shots, and United rode his wave on several key runs that turned games or in tonight's case, got them going.

Landale is an elite big man. Melbourne has seen a long line of them- Bradtke, Anstey, Boone. Long for a season. At the offensive end of the floor, Landale is equal to any of them. Defensively pretty solid too. I'll miss having the opportunity to watch a world class Aussie big.

Hoping both these guys go on to make an impact for the Boomers again like they did in 2019

Reply #856290 | Report this post

JMS  
Years ago

That's correct, however I felt an injury was inevitable with the minutes Cotton was having to play, even when the game wasn’t in the balance. Maybe that’s the player demanding the game time but it also seemed exacerbated with the lack of bench depth (disproven post injuries) and lack of confidence from Gleeson in the role players (White/Buluk/Shervill).

Reply #856292 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Just listened to the Gleeson presser, so they knew Norton was only going to get 1 half in, they were unable to get the injections they needed in Melbourne, Travers had a grade 2 tear in his calf and they planned on just sitting Steindl in the corner. Sounded like they all wanted to play, great heart. Looking forward to seeing Travers next season after the experience he gained here.

Reply #856294 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Yeah Travers could be anything. Would like to see Mooney stay on another season i dont think he's NBA yet. Landale really taught him a lesson and his jump shot didn't hold up under finals pressure. Play him predominantly in the 4 next season with Plumlee or another import center and with cotton back and possibly another 2/3 import to back up Blanchfeild and they'll be very strong again.

Reply #856295 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I dunno, I think we've seen Mooney can cut it at C, his biggest issue was against Jock and Iverson, both who probably won't be in the league next year. He was better than the majority of the C's in the league, might be better to bring in an athletic PF who can shoot the 3?

Reply #856297 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Congrats to Melbourne. Series never really in any doubt, but Perth gave it a decent shake.
And no, I'm not going to say that I switched off after Cotton got injured.
It was a good, tough, series, exactly how a GF should be. 4 or 5 games might have been better, but oh well. And whilst MU deserved to get more than one game at home, at least this way they won on the home court.

Full Credit to Melbourne United. Been the dominant team all season, and got the job done when it counted.

Reply #856299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of an empty feeling when United win the title. They generally have the most stacked team, so it's more a feeling of "they did what they were supposed to do" rather than one of admiration.

Reply #856300 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Well done United. Better team won
Perth put up a good fight despite the 3-0 result.

Reply #856302 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Perth were good sports. Hats off to them. I'm sure next season they will be back much stronger.

Reply #856304 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lv wants high scoring and entertaining basketball, then says how great the football was with a team kept to their lowest ever score... ok

Reply #856306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lv wants high scoring and entertaining basketball, then says how great the football was with a team kept to their lowest ever score... ok

Reply #856307 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Very happy United won, but must admit Perth really impressed me having 3 close games in the circumstances.

Reply #856310 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Travers could indeed be anything. Perth have him signed for 2 more years which bodes very well for the team's prospects over that time.

Cotton has 2 years to run, Blanchfield one more.

United has White and Peatling for 2 more years. Nowhere near the potential Travers has, but still solid young guys who could have long, impactful NBL careers.

United also has Goulding for 2 more years.

Both teams remain well placed to continue as forces in the NBL.

Reply #856313 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Congrats to United on the title.
Melbourne probably could have won without Landale proving again that Cotton is the undisputed MVP of the league.
Real shame the Wildcats were so depleted but they can hold their heads up high.

Fingers crossed for some normality next season.
Home fixtures for NZ, 3 imports and full pay for players and support staff.

Reply #856315 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Fingers crossed for some normality next season.
Home fixtures for NZ, 3 imports and full pay for players and support staff."

Amen to that

Reply #856330 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Be interesting to see every teams 3 imports. Every team in NBL22 will be stacked.

Would be good if more NBL teams could sign players who are classified as a Special Restricted Player like what Melbourne United did with Yudai Baba.

Reply #856331 | Report this post

Jojo5  
Years ago

"United has White and Peatling for 2 more years. Nowhere near the potential Travers has, but still solid young guys who could have long, impactful NBL careers."

LV - what are you on? Did you even watch White and Peatling play this season??

Reply #856335 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

I agree with LV on Jack White, Pearling is very average and will struggle without landale next to him. Not starting calibre.

Reply #856337 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Jack White looks a good player to me.

Reply #856338 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Me too

Reply #856339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White was, is a gun, probably doesn't have Travers length. Two guys to watch. Peatling will be solid not great.

Reply #856344 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

White would've been a DPOY candidate if he finished the season. Great energy, defense, running the lanes and was hitting the open 3s. A real prospect

Peatling further to go. Presumably starting for balance alongside Landale and because they wanted to manage minutes for 37 year old Barlow. But at 24 years old and playing a role on a championship team, shows real potential. Has decent touch around the hoop. Definitely got something to work with.

Reply #856354 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I think Jojo your comment may have been about the negative comparison with Travers?

That's cos Travers is 19 and based on his playoff series and back end of season, is on a sharp upwards trajectory. 6 foot 7 or 8, can handle the ball, get to the hoop, creative passer, a nose for rebounding. The sky's the limit for him.

Jack White was quality this season but he's 23 and Travers is 19.

Reply #856358 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Jack White is unlikely to play next season unfortunately, I would have thought? Hopefully he does come back stronger than ever, as I really liked his game.

Reply #856401 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:45 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754