Daniel Felmingham
Years ago

Jackjumpers year one roster

I'm just wanting to hear about rumoured signings for the the nbls newest team,I know Adam Gibson is a very likely signing and also Hugh Greenwood but I have heard little else so please post if you have heard any potential signings.

Topic #48809 | Report this topic

NBL MAN  
Years ago

greenwood i doubt

Reply #857116 | Report this post

NBL MAN  
Years ago

newley
Dufelmeier Jr and Jack Purchase
Norton, magnay mcveigh

Reply #857118 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Le Bron.

Reply #857119 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Very useful post perth fan

Reply #857122 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

How is Greenwood a likely signing? lol. "Yeah he quit basketball like 5 years ago but he's from Tasmania so... likely signing!"

I worry about the dillution of talent with a new team tbh.

Reply #857123 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Seems like there was big talk about their signings, but they don't look like they're eventuating with McCarron off the table, and chatter that Norton is going to stay a Wildcat.

Reply #857124 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood has indicated his desire to return to nbl to play with the Jackjumpers but it obviously wouldn't be this season.

Reply #857126 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

I will hold my point of view until they announce their signings, hoping that is soon.

There has not been anything out of the Jackjumpers re-names, only confidence that they would have a strong roster.

Waiting waiting waiting for some announcements.

Reply #857128 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ooof, now there's a bit of chatter that Norton is going to be a JJ. :/

Reply #857129 | Report this post

RS  
Years ago

McCarron's decision being made should now open the flood gates for Free Agency activities. Now that the other clubs know he's off the table, they'll resume or finalise alternatives and be able to structure the rest of their rosters.

Reply #857131 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Greenwood is under contract in the AFL and earning 400k per year,

He's not leaving that for the NBL, he may try NBL again once his AFL career is done in a few years, but personally wouldnt want my team to sign him

Reply #857134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Scout, I wish them well but my ear on the ground is it's not going well. I’m still not ruling out Kay till I see him signing elsewhere, Moller was a good chance, again a big money offer from Europe got in the way. Norton the same, you want these players you got pay up. The league probably should have given them a bonus budget for their first few seasons. The local field of good players is getting small now though. Like Cairns they will need to get there three imports right.

Reply #857135 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

I have heard they are looking at some big names from overseas leagues but obviously they need to concentrate on the locals first and I agree that it's not looking great for signings at this stage.

Reply #857141 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Fair call anon #135, it is my understanding that the budget for the Jack Jumpers for players should not be an issue....Larry made sure of that.

Sure Kay has signed in Japan - Scott Roth stated that last week.

Season three months away so not a lot of time to pull a whole roster together.

Reply #857142 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Has Larry given the Jackjumpers a bigger Salary for year one?... because I think we will need it.

Reply #857143 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Hope they have a big name lined up or it will be a long season down in Tasmania

Reply #857147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is a topic already for this.

Reply #857149 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Why does it need to be a 'big name' according to Perthworld. Once the roster is announced then have a crack.

Chill signings will be announced just not on a timeframe given by an internet forum.

Reply #857157 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Perthworld - quick ? would you rate Mitch Norton as a 'big name'?

Reply #857160 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think Norton is still in shock, and trying to recover from the Thrashing

Reply #857164 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

If Norton goes to JJs I think Kay will be there in a year or 2.

Reply #857167 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

ROFL
For those not aware, Kay is returning to Perth in the middle of 2022.
What he does after that, I have nfi, but I can guarantee you he WON'T be following a mate.
Returning to the NBL and playing for the Cats might be a convenient option, but who knows.

Reply #857173 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

There are a couple of touchy posters on here.

chill

Reply #857179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton is not a big name but he's a solid piece who should get good money. Media pets like Cadee, Harry F, and others seem to be able to command a lot more coin than they are entitled the.

Reply #857180 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

Wouldn't signing a big-named star before, rather than after, your locals/core help to attract a better standard of locals/core and get better value for your roster-spend (*see below).

Remember that this is a 1st-time squad. No core, no locals, no-one else to recruit "around".

If the HC knows what style he wants to implement, he will find his main actors at the big-named end, not the locals. For eg. Sorry to say that Cadee is not a signing that is going to make a gun 1, 2, 3, 4 or 5-man want desperately to join that team. On the other hand, I imagine that Cadee would probably be eager to play with a gun in the team.

*When it comes to the economics, You can guarantee that every player will be after the best deals they can negotiate.

If you've recruited from the locals up, and each one of them get just a bit more than budgeted for, you have less to negotiate with for your main men.
Then you've got the perennial problem of your PR with BIG announcements up front that JJ's have recruited (relative) no-bodies or also-rans at best.

Or, vica versa (is that right?? no spell check on that). If you're putting a team together from scratch, which way do you go?

Reply #857190 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

We definitely need to get one or two big name recruits to start with but by the looks of that is going to be hard,when can they start looking for overseas recruits?

Reply #857192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rob T, to much sense there. As soon as last season g league completed they should have got there imports and worked from there. It's travelling along a bit like the covid vaccine roll out.

Reply #857195 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worth overpaying for the first 'name' player so you don't struggle to lure the rest.

Reply #857198 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Why does it need to be a 'big name' according to Perthworld.

Perthworld - quick ? would you rate Mitch Norton as a 'big name'?

Scout - what? I hadn't posted in this thread (until now).

Reply #857201 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Phoenix got Creek in very early and went from there.

Reply #857202 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Apologies Perthworld my post was meant for Perth fan

My bad!

Reply #857205 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's used to the usual perthworld interjections

Reply #857277 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Channel 7 news just reported McVeigh will sign with Jackjumpers. A shame for the Sixers if true, but a good signing for the JJs.

Reply #857284 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Mitch Norton a good chance to sign with the Jackjumpers.

Reply #857288 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

McVeigh is an ok signing.
The Tassies still need much better local players.

Reply #857292 | Report this post

WA Guy  
Years ago

Daniel Felmingham
Last month

Mitch Norton a good chance to sign with the Jackjumpers.

BWAHAHAH how did that work out for you.

Reply #857454 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA Guy seems like a pretty balanced individual

Reply #857464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norton confirmed to Perth, three year deal.

Kay, Moller, McCarron, Norton, none of them took their offers. Is it coach or management or both, they obviously have money and no one is listening. Pinder is available at 200k.

Reply #857467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have mcdaniel, Mcveigh and likely Mudronja or Dufelmeier. Not a bad start imo.

Reply #857468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

# 468, you are kidding. Mudronja could not get on even after Giddey left, the other three are all bench players.

Reply #857473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Santa hinted that there was a bit of back and forth going on between Norton's camp, Perth and the Jack Jumpers."

Pretty clear it was down to 2 and as always Perth opened their chequebook to get their man. So really the only thing Norton is playing for is the money not the team. Hmmmm.

Reply #857480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most basketball people I know in tassie have told me that Kay and Norton were going to be there and play for Roth and Moller was a certainty also, plus playing for chargers, Stewart was asked about six weeks back and talked about him having big decisions. Two down Kay still available. Either JJ's are short paying or it’s not as attractive as all thought.

Reply #857485 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Kay's not available - has signed in Japan.

There is lot to playout for the roster to come together, some getting a tad fired up early.

Judge the roster when it is together, personally finding it intriguing.

Reply #857491 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Kay still available.
Why do people keep saying this?

Reply #857493 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

koberulz - dunno maybe because there has not been multiple facebook post on his NBL signing on facebook, has been said here multiple times he has signed in Japan.

I am sure the Jackjumpers are still after a marquee player.

Reply #857501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where has it been confirmed he's signed in Japan, being on hoops don’t make it true.

Reply #857513 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Scott Roth said so on the 21st of June (a while ago now) - re Kay signing in Japan.

Reply #857517 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/brentcostelloe/status/1406876946353512448/photo/1

Reply #857519 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I posted that comment was mentioned on win TV. Its KR. He is never wrong. Hilarious isn't it.

Reply #857522 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

What?

Reply #857532 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Years ago

Steindl to JJs. 1+1 deal likely.

Reply #857573 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Where have you heard that Steindl will be signing and do you rate him?

Reply #857576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/chrisroww/status/1410523725296857089?s=19

Steindl to JJs confirmed here

Reply #857577 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

That's not what "confirmed" means.

Reply #857580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A news man tweeting Kay had signed in Japan is not what confirmed means either. Kay could certainly be going to Japan, I still have not seen it confirmed.

Reply #857582 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The tweet says "in discussions".

Reply #857586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath to jjs likely. Would have to pay 400k+

Reply #857589 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

FWIW Liam didnt say likely, just that they're going for him.

I like the ambition, clearly the have been set up with some serious cash to throw and that’s fantastic

Reply #857597 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Don't they have the same salary cap as every other team or have they been given a bit extra for the first year?

Reply #857599 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Salary cap is the same; however in the NBL it is not a hard cap.

Reply #857600 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Well what other money can they use?

Reply #857605 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

...what? Do you think the league donates money to the teams to spend on players?

How are you on this board with absolutely no understanding of how anything works?

Reply #857637 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

I'm a first year supporter and loving every minute of it.

Reply #857647 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

The roster development of the Jackjumpers is great to watch along with the different takes on it from different posters on here including quite a few self important anons.

Good chance for some to have a crack early.

To state the obvious roster obviously has a long way to go, marquee player needed (if it is Reath great) along with more pieces to the puzzle.

On a side note it is interesting to witness the CEO of Cricket Tas down here getting all fired up about the Jackjumpers (they will compete with the Big Bash team the Hurricanes) quoting the numbers of TV viewers and people who will go to respective games. There is competition in place and they do not like it. Having a real shot at the JJ's and basketball in general.

Fun times.

Reply #857651 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

To Daniel Felmingham (I'm a first year supporter and loving every minute of it.)

To the game or to hoops.com? Either way, welcome. And have fun.

Reply #857653 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Jacob Chance announced as 1st Asst, Jack Fleming 3rd Asst and Mark Chivers Team manager.

Dunno much about Jack Fleming does anyone? Knew Chance was on the way.

Reply #857676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahaha. Mark Chivers as Team Manager. Jobs for the boy and father it seems.

Reply #857681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will Chivers Snr be the 4th assistant?

Reply #857682 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So they have Jack McVeigh signed, will they be chasing Jack White, Jack Purchase, Jack Mooney, Jack Landale, Majack Deng?

Reply #857686 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

You will be part of the roster Jack Toft

Reply #857687 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon #681 did you apply?

Reply #857693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have 3 jobs open (now 2). The job is a very important one as many know but the pay was low ball. Suits Chivers who is "retired" Good luck to him. FWIH the other jobs have been given to LK's people already.IE. Chivers.

Reply #857796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The best they can get atm imo...

Tasmania Jackjumpers - Roth

Dellavedova/Mudronja
(i)/Mcdaniel/Deans(dp)
(i)/Steindl
(i)/Mcveigh
Reath/Kouame

Delly - f/a, be a great leader
Reath - best local big available
Kouame - very impressive young Asian big. Take him over say salt or older ogilvy.
4 local pickups, 2 on the up, 1 poor season, 1 rarely used.

Reply #857798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#798, that's side won’t win a game. Mudronja, why are punters picking him..

They should chase Patterson, 3/4 with good all round skills, can direct the team, yes he’s large but can play.

Reply #857802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fantasy guesses yet again. Waste of time. Start your own topic for guessing. Not in here please.

Reply #857804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PAtterson is not a professional, he can go somewhere else.

Reply #857809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do people keep mentioning delly his not coming home until absolutely no one wants him in America the nba the vet minimum is 3 million no one's paying him anywhere near that in Australia

Reply #857813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Patterson is far better player than anyone the jumpers have signed or look like signing. Put Patterson and McDaniel on the market and see who gets taken.

Reply #857816 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Reath is a better player than Patterson and the Jackjumpers are looking a good chance of getting him.

Reply #857818 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Rob T I'm new to Hoops and to basketball,I decided to get involved because I'm happy to see Tasmania get a national league team which we don't have in the AFL for example.

Reply #857819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel my friend, Patterson has played nba, been very good in Australia, is an import. Reath has not done anything yet, is classed as a local, has great media profile, plays a different position to to Patterson. Reath could be outstanding, we'll find out in the Olympics if he’s any good.

Reply #857823 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Fair enough,still learning about the different players but I had heard others say that Reath is better than Patterson but different people have different opinions.
I can't wait to see the Jackjumpers later this year,it's going to be huge for little old Tasmania and I'm going to attend as many games as possible.

Reply #857827 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Anon # 823 - reckon Reath is what the Jackjumpers need an Australian who would be high impact. The imports 'should' be easier to source.

Perth always have deep pockets and will be in the box seat for signing him.

Reply #857849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

PAtterson simply does not deserve a contract imo. Coming out of shape season after season only hitting his straps 1/2 way through is not good enough.

If it wasn't for covid, he wouldn’t be playing nbl1 but eating donuts instead.

Reply #857850 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Rob T I'm new to Hoops and to basketball,I decided to get involved because I'm happy to see Tasmania get a national league team which we don't have in the AFL for example.

Wow, fresh meat. It's rare to see someone brand new to basketball (or NBL for that matter) around these parts. Welcome aboard.

Reply #857853 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

They're a good chance to catch a decent Next-Star.

There's a bit of bench talent floating around, and Roth has the contacts to chase good imports.
But they still need a couple of local starters, one of whom will be a Marquee. But who?

Keep in mind that if Perth do get Reath, that means Magnay's going elsewhere, Humphries is still looking, H Froling appears to be moving on, and Hodgson is unsigned.

Kinda sad they didn't get up and running a few years back, as Gibbo would have been an automatic. Not sure if they can squeeze another year out of him, or should.

Reply #857905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibbo is done. If they hire him for the minimum and it will be leadership purposes only. An occasional game where he will go through the motions is not worth the effort to train on the minimum.

Reply #857928 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Indeed. At this point, you'd almost prefer to see him retire and be named an assistant coach.
A couple of years back he could have been the inaugural captain, even on limited minutes, and provided leadership.

Things being as they are, he was squeeze out another season as and end of the bench guy somewhere, but bringing down to Tassie for that seems a bit pointless.

Reply #857979 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Gibbo is done. If they hire him for the minimum and it will be leadership purposes only

I think that'd still a valid reason for a new franchise to sign him. If Kevin White can still find a way to contribute in this league then so can Adam Gibson.

Reply #857990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

White stays healthy, gibbo is always injuried.

Reply #857991 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Strong rumours both Magnay and Stiendl on their way to JJ's. Will believe it when it is announced.

My thoughts on the JJ assistants are that Roth has identified tasks then people, there is no one there who takes away from being the HC. He's the man. Not sure if he will be taking advice on plays/situations etc from those he has as AC's

Reply #858009 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import-6'5 Mudronja
Import-6’6 Mcdaniel
Import-6’7 Steindl
6’11 Reath-6’8 Mcveigh
6’10 Magnay-?

That’s not a bad start if all the rumours are true and they have the cash.
Plenty of backup center options around.

Ogilvy-vet
Salt-nznbl
Kouame-Asian player
Gak-college
Kahler-had a few nbl trials

Reply #858011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cost breakdown?

Import-6'5 Mudronja($80k)
Import-6'6 Mcdaniel($120k)
Import-6’7 Steindl($120k)
6’11 Reath($400k)-6’8 Mcveigh($150k)
6’10 Magnay($400k)-?($100k)

That’s 1.37 mill, take out 1 marquee + 3 imports, just overb2 mill. 360k over cap.
If asia player don’t count, then couod be 200k over cap.

Reply #858013 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Both Magnay and Reath would be great for any team, hopefully we are successful in getting them.

Reply #858014 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Doubt very much they will get both Reath and Magnay, would be happy with one of them.

Reckon Reath to Perth and Magnay to either JJ's or Melbourne United.

Reply #858015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, Mooney possibly going, Reath Perth, Magnay United or jjs.

Reply #858016 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Would still need another big player so would most likely be one of our three overseas imports.

Reply #858019 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Why do you believe Perth is the frontrunner for Perth?

Reply #858020 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Why do you believe Perth is the frontrunner for Reath?

Reply #858021 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Daniel:

'Born in South Sudan, Reath and his family moved to Brisbane when he was aged 9. He moved again to Perth soon after where he attended Girrawheen Senior High School. '

Plus Perth have and always have very deep pockets.

Reply #858023 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Scout fair enough,Magnay would be great for the Jackjumpers,we need get a marquee signing that will get people through the turnstiles.

Reply #858027 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Exactly Daniel - either of them would be great for the roster

Reply #858030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you're paying 120k for those players you got rocks in your head, stiendl 80k McDaniel 100k. Mudronja DP money at best. McVeigh 115k, he’s a three man as well that doesn’t play D. Hoops is great but sometimes it’s a fantasy.

Reply #858031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath won't get anywhere near 400k nor will magnay.

Reply #858032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You clearly have no idea^

Reply #858033 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Reath will get 400k

Reply #858034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not getting 400k in nbl, maybe in Europe yes. Clubs are not stupid.

Reply #858037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrance Ferguson and Brian Bowen were both cut by there nba teams, would they both be good marquees for JJ

Reply #858055 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

I don't know them,how do you rate them?... and what sort of money would they be asking?

Reply #858057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they were the first next stars

Reply #858060 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Great,I'm sure some team's will look at them,I'm concerned for the Jackjumpers because to me it looks like most of the big players in The free agency are taken, interesting to see who the last few big names sign with.

Reply #858061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither of those first next stars are near good enough for imports. It's amazing that Roth hasn’t been able to get any of the players he was talking about.

Reply #858064 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Terrance Ferguson and Brian Bowen were both cut by there nba teams, would they both be good marquees for JJ
Neither of them are eligible to be signed as marquees.

Reply #858068 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Put very simply when clubs exceed the amount of the Salary Cap, they pay a tax, if they go over a lot then the tax becomes quite punitive.
A Marquee player has a very specific meaning for the purpose of that tax. Up to 4 players can be treated as marquees, which simply put gives generous concessions to any tax that might otherwise be paid, with the benefit reducing from the 1st to the 4th.
Marquees can only be "unrestricted" players, ie not imports. Also, for every import you have the number of allowable marquees is reduced by one.
So as we are going back to 3 imports, most teams aim to target at least one real Marquee. A highly paid local, of whose salary only ~$150k is counted.

Trying to assign salaries, or add up what a team costs, is just pointless nonsense. It's like arguing over which team you think will win a game, when it's played behind closed doors, with a secret result, and you have no idea who is going to play or even what the rules are.

@Daniel, I wouldn't worry. There are still good players available, and you never know who's going to come home from Europe or America. What's import is building a squad and a culture over time, and getting the right players who'll be there for the long-haul.

Reply #858073 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath no longer available. Hawks..

Reply #858079 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Have to admit was really hoping for Duop Reath at the Jack Jumpers - type of player they could build the franchise around.

Gorjian has done very well since he has arrived there, have always had a soft spot for Illawarra being a small club that punches above their weight. Pleased if it wasn't the JJ's it is them.

Missing out on a few though

Reply #858082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import c it is, I would seriously go after kouame as a backup or he'll be snapped up by b league.

Reply #858083 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Magnay to Tassie according to Uluc

Reply #858085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay + Kouame or salt hopefully Roth has been watching Olympic qualifiers or nznbl.

Reply #858087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, salt off the list too. Gone to bullets.

Reply #858088 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

If true Magnay is a very good piece of the puzzle. Is Olgun Uluc reliable?

Reply #858091 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Disappointing to miss out on Reath but good luck to Wollongong.

Reply #858092 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

"Is Olgun Uluc reliable?"

Yes - Olgun and Liam Santamaria are the two that are extremely reliable with lots of inside sources for NBL off-season

Reply #858093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Off rumours, it's currently

(i)/6’5 A.Mudronja
(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
6’8 J.Mcveigh/6’7 C.Steindl
(i)/6’9 J.Purchase
6’10 W.Magnay/6’11 A.Ogilvy Or 6’11 M.Hodgson or other

Reply #858094 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Olgun today: Reath to Hawks; Magnay to Tassie; Steindl close to signing to Tassie; Jack Salt to Brisbane

Reply #858096 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would mean Hodgson is gone, possibly to Japan and Humphries to europe also rumour.

Reply #858097 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Who reported that?

Liam and Olgun reckon Humphries returns to Adelaide

Reply #858099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He has 2nd year option.

Reply #858100 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers didn't take up the mutual option and are negotiating a new deal; the original one had a significant backend pay which is why the 36ers decided not to take it up and are negotiating a longer deal with bonus structures: number of games played, achieving x etc

Reply #858101 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

KET how do you know this? Sounds like a smart move by Adelaide if true.

Reply #858103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath to JJs fell through?

Reply #858104 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Liam Santamaria - check out the Huddle podcast from Friday with Santa and Hooley

Reply #858105 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Yeah was going to but might be worth a listen thanks KET

Reply #858106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, looks like

Illawara Hawks - B.Goorjan

T.Harvey(i)/E.Naar
(i)/D.Grida
J.Simon(i)/D.Deng
D.Reath/M.Darling
S.Froling/A.Gak

Reply #858107 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Reath is signing with Wollongong, would of be a great get for the Jackjumpers,I'm not sure we can get someone else as good as him.

Reply #858108 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack fleming vic u16 coach to jj's

Reply #858273 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Yes - Olgun and Liam Santamaria are the two that are extremely reliable"
if they were cars, you'd sell them to the wreckers.
Both let themselves down by constantly trying to be the first to "break" stories, often based on nothing more than supposition.
Santa "broke" the story that Norton was going to Tasmania, then when proven wrong, invented some crap about an 11th hour bid from Perth.

Then one of them claimed McVeigh would be their first roster signing, apparently oblivious to McDaniel.

Sure, many of their claims today will probably pan out, but wait for the official announcements.

And again, there's too much focus around a couple of players.
It's even worse when it comes to imports, and people keep prattling on about recycling the same few imports.

Reply #858279 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Just a fan, it's also well known on this forum to not listen to Dazz (D2.0 as 1.0 failed)

Reply #858282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fleming pops up a lot online etc, young and enthusiastic. Would think this has to be a cheap gopher type role?
Besides the online stuff and some state involvement at a junior level, has he had any results of note to warrant an nbl gig?
But I guess that's the way the world is going, online presence and clout more important than proving worth over time.
Beat of luck to him

Reply #858290 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Quite disappointed that they weren't given enough cash to land Delly.
Who's still out there that would be real Marquee material?

Their bench is fine, but they need a couple of top-shelf locals to be starters.
Magnay should be great for them, but if he's their best local, they could be stretched.

Reply #859438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roster so far...

Tasmania Jackjumpers - S.Roth
(i)/6'0 J.Weeks
(i)/6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
(i)/6’8 F.Krslovic/6’7 J.Bairstow
6’10 W.Magnay/Local C

Could see Magnay play 4 and they get Hodgson
Or
Keep magnay 5, backup Ogilvy.
Or
Bring in local new guy from nbl1 or college guy.
Or suprise
Johnson leaves Adelaide for jjs

Reply #859439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krislovic hasn't been confirmed and if he’s your starting four man you are in trouble.

Reply #859444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay hasn't been selected. Yet another fantasy meaningless side.

Reply #859455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#444, maybe you should look closer.

Import (i) starting....

Reply #859457 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where will purchase be?

Reply #859462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Purchase has multiple offers.

Reply #859463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

36ers should have kept Purchase especially as they let McVeigh go

Reply #859468 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Phoenix.

Reply #859469 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The 36ers still might?

Reply #859474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he signs somewhere else would he finish the season with the Chargers?

Reply #859477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import
Kay
Moller
Cotton ( subject to Gleeson leaving Perth)or import.
Norton
This is who they were talking up, they got reasonably close.

Reply #859479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bullshit they got close. They have NONE of them. I nearly got a hole in one the other day. Missed by 10cm. But it nearly went in. Utter BS.

Reply #859487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iwas just pointing out some of the BS that was being spruiked. I forgot the ::)))) that would've been a nice starting side. ::)))

Reply #859493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Real life baby. Better tell the JJ's.

Reply #859516 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Basketball "journalism" in this country really is pathetic.
Just read a bunch of recycled puke from Rowbottom who pretends to write for the ABC, but basically just seems to regurgitate whatever Santa has crapped out, without even bothering to proof read.

Reporting the RUMOURED signing of Reath (still unconfirmed a week later) as fact, and claiming Illawarra as his home town???

Spinning Delly's move to Melbourne as being a result of the JJ's being asleep at the wheel.
Repeating the BS about Norton, and making out as though the movement of Perth players to Tasmania was anything other than amicable.

Reath grew up in Perth. If & when he signs with Illawarra, it will be for all the usual reasons, not becuase it's his home town.

Delly is from Melbourne, and once United set their sights on him, he was never going anywhere else. He'll be on Marquee money make so mistake, and even if JJs had the cash to splash, MU still had the inside running.

Norton was NEVER going to Tasmania. He is the Wildcats next Captain, loves Gleeson, and had already re-committed to the team.

And to suggest the movement of surplus Wildcats to Tasmania was anything other than planned, is laughable. I imagine it's a part of why Roth got the job. Huge cred as a development coach, NBL championship experience, well-established US network, and the ability to start the process with a small cadre of familiar players.
So tell us Chris, who exactly do you think has left Perth that we wanted to keep?

Reply #859518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roth had better be a much better coach than he a recruiter, selling himself as an nba coach obviously isn't working.
Deladova comes from Maryborough, not Melbourne.
The rest of your rant is just that, a rant.

Reply #859520 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Classic dazz

Reply #859522 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"Deladova comes from Maryborough, not Melbourne."

Are you actually retarded?
On the off-chance you were dropped on your head as a child, I'll spell it out for you:

Delly is from Victoria (Capital City of which is MELBOURNE.) He grew up in a country town about 150k from MELBOURNE (Which in Australia is basically suburbia)

Until such time as the NBL establishes a Franchise in Bendigo, The MELBOURNE team(s) are closest to his home town, being about 400km closer than Adelaide.

Reply #859535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd hazard at a guess that Maryborough hasn’t got any nbl member driving to Melbourne to watch them every week. It’s over a two hour drive and 169 Kim’s, facts never been your strong point.
He’s a Victorian, yes, if that’s your point, all those premierships you have won in the last decade would be Sydney’s as the base of your team came from nsw, yes they moved interstate. it is allowed.
Just by the way Busselton is close to the same distance to Perth, it’s certainly not a suburb of Perth, or to make you happy, the nbl could put a team there.

Your insults are just showing your small mind so I won’t even go there.

Reply #859559 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Pretending Norton was never leaving when every single report has Perth throwing a massive pay cheque 5 him to keep him away from Tasmania is daft.

Reply #859596 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Who gives a shit if people loosely say Melbourne? Isn't the point it is his home team?

Reply #859618 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D2.0

Norton had told Tas he was on board and then flipped at the last minute. The JJs were filthy. The article says they got used as leverage which is true?

Reath will sign with Illawarra under goorjian and jack jumpers were in for delly like every other club no doubt. The point being they were told he wasn't coming to aus and then he did.

I don’t see much wrong with the article except reath being from Illawarra which is a cock up

Reply #859622 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

From another Maryboroughian, yeah the Victorian one, not the better known one in Qld (a very outer non-suburb of Sydney).

When asked where I'm from, I usually say "Melbourne", rather than "Maryborough, the one in Vic, up near Bendigo and Ballarat". What's the problem.

Koberulz, I'll stick with Melbourne.

Reply #859655 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Can someone please tell me how many players each team has to sign including Rookies?

Reply #859863 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Eleven in the main squad excluding development players who can suit up for games and training players who can't.

Reply #859870 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Perthworld Thankyou kindly!!

Reply #859895 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"I'd hazard at a guess that Maryborough hasn't got any nbl member driving to Melbourne to watch them every week. It’s over a two hour drive and 169 Kim’s, facts never been your strong point.
He’s a Victorian, yes, if that’s your point, all those premierships you have won in the last decade would be Sydney’s as the base of your team came from nsw, yes they moved interstate. it is allowed.
Just by the way Busselton is close to the same distance to Perth, it’s certainly not a suburb of Perth, or to make you happy, the nbl could put a team there."

I simply made the point that a Melbourne team had the inside running, even before money was put on the table.
You're the one making a big song & dance about the fact that he grew up in a country town just outside Melbourne.
And I said "about" 150k. Historically distances were measured from I think either Town-Halls or Post Offices, but sure let's go with 169km. Still puts it just outside Melbourne.

"Two hour drive"? well that's just because Melbournians don't know how to drive and ride everywhere on Trams.

And whilst I don't know what NBL team he followed, given I think there were still multiple Melbourne teams when he was born, I do know that he's a Collingwood supporter. Guess what city they're based in.

Premierships? The Eagles have only won one in the last decade.
As for the Wildcats, Knight came from Tasmanian, Jawai from QLD, Wagstaff from Canberra, Redhage from Nebraska, Cotton from Arizona, etc. Kay came from Tamworth yes, but according to your logic that puts in a different galaxy compared to Sydney.

Reply #859992 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

As for Norton, here's what we know, as facts:
He was recruited twice by Gleeson.
He was named Vice-Captain last season, and the incumbent captain is close to retirement.
He has shown exceptional dedication to his team, and loved by Perth fans.
He's stated publicly that he loves Perth and playing for the Wildcats.
Perth are not short of a quid, but were going through a sale-process when the season ended and FA kicked off.
Immediately following the finalisation of that sale agreement, first thing they did was announce Norton's new contract.
Santa, in his never-ending quest to "break" "big stories" claimed Norton had signed in Tasmania. Then when proven wrong came out with the story of Perth winning him back with a big 11th hour offer.

Just my opinion, but there's nothing there that substantiates Santa's claim.

On the other hand, I was told beforehand, by people with a better hit-rate than Santa, that Norton had already committed to the Wildcats.

I've no doubt that at some point the JJ's put an offer to Norton. And I've no doubt that their entry into the competition increased his value.
But beyond that? The only thing we say for 100% sure is that Norton stayed in Perth. (So I'm right and Santa was wrong.)

The article is pushing the idea of some rivalry based on their assertion that the JJ's have somehow poached a bunch of Perth players, and that they almost had Norton too. I call BS.
Signing Magnay, a player Roth never crossed paths with in Perth, points even more towards cooperation.

The article also paints a dirty picture of Norton, claiming that he strung the JJ's along with false promises, just to leverage a better offer from Perth.

Instead of retrospectively making claims without evidence, why don't these "in the know" journalists actually tell us something we haven't already heard??
Are they going to sign a Marquee?
Who's going to be their other local players?
Imports?

I'd give them far more credit if they could actually get something correct, instead of making up click-bait after the fact.

Reply #859999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damo, are yes another from nsw and Bevo but none went to kings.

Reply #860001 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

This is terrific news,we have finally signed a big fish and I couldn't be happier,I can't wait to see who we can sign next.

Reply #860037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's a "big fish" in the sense that he is big. he has signed a 1 year contract. Roth has clearly stated he wants players to commit for the long term. NO biggie here Daniel sorry to say.

Reply #860065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import, Weeks
McDaniel, Steindl
Import, McVeigh
Import, Bairstow
Magnay, possibility of Krislovic.
Better get some good imports, at least Gleeson is gone so Perth might become easier.

Reply #860067 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Santa, in his never-ending quest to "break" "big stories"
How often is he wrong?

On the other hand, I was told beforehand, by people with a better hit-rate than Santa, that Norton had already committed to the Wildcats.
If that were true, he would have been signed, and none of the JJ's stuff would ever have happened.

Reply #860069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ's were going around telling all who they were signing, had there favourite three plus Cotton if Gleeson went. They got none, though Cotton could still be on the table, but won’t go because they cannot pay him more than the cats.

Reply #860084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Have to disagree as a Perth fan I was very happy when we signed him he didn't have a great season but it’s never easy coming in half way through the season. When he is fit and in the right head space he is one of the better bigs in the nbl it’s definitely a solid signing for them maybe he will thrive with the responsibility of being the main man

Reply #860093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"he will thrive with the responsibility of being the main man" For a season. It really is pointless. Roth has been harping on about culture and building a team for longer term from the ground up. Since when does this signing fit that bill.

Reply #860129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With moss signing in brissy, krebs could be going to tassie also...
Team now looks like.

(i)/6'0 J.Weeks
6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’6 T.Krebs/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
(i)/6’7 J.Bairstow/6’8 F.Krslovic
6’10 W.Magnay/local c

Needed now

Import 1
Import 4 or 5
Local center or NS

Reply #860132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs doesn't make JJ’s stronger, Brisbane should be glad for him to go.

Reply #860133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs is a good player, just needs time like slot of guys.
People demand excellence straight away these days.

Reply #860134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty simple it fits because he is a good player you don't say no when they want to come. his only 23 no doubt still has nba aspirations hence signing a short term contract all there other signings are average at best but your splitting hairs talking down the mahogany signing he would walk into every other club in the nbl

Reply #860151 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"How often is he wrong?" asks Koberwallah...
In a discussion specifically related to Santa being wrong...

Making a completely false claim,
then inventing some conspiracy theory to explain how you weren't really wrong, doesn't make you right.

"he would have been signed"

He was. I realise things must be different in your universe, but in this one time is linear and moves forward.
Norton's new contract required approval form the new owners, and was literally the first thing announced
(after the announcement of the new owners)
IIRC there was less than two hours between the two.

"none of the JJ's stuff would ever have happened."

Not sure what you mean by "stuff"? If you mean Santa making up bullshit, well then I hate to shatter your illusions, but it happens often.
I haven't checked but is he also claiming to be correct about Trev going to Asia? because "there's a lot of Asians in Torronto"???

Reply #860338 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

The Magnay one is interesting.
Under Trev he was only ever going to be a 20 min guy, and Perth weren't going to pay top dollar for that. So assuming he wants more minutes and commensurate cash, he was never staying in Perth.
BUT, would a new Perth coach have offered him more?? Guess we'll never know.

Signing for one year, and publicly saying "I'm only here till I get another NBA invite" is a bit of a weird one. If NBA is the only other consideration, he could have signed for 3 years, with the ubiquitous NBA-out clause.
Cos this actually reads like "I'm here for a year to try and get back to the NBA, and if not then I'm leaving for the best gig I can find". Understandable, but not really franchise-building.

I'm hoping they still have a big signing up their sleeve, because they still have to announce their Inaugural Captain

Reply #860339 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Krebs is still under contract so no point even mentioning him.

Reply #860346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mutual opt out.

Reply #860347 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"How often is he wrong?" asks Koberwallah...
In a discussion specifically related to Santa being wrong...
Establishing that he was wrong once does not establish how frequently he's wrong.

Making a completely false claim,
then inventing some conspiracy theory to explain how you weren't really wrong, doesn't make you right.
His version of events makes more sense than yours, and is coming from a far more reliable source than yours.

Norton's new contract required approval form the new owners
That's not how any of this works.

Reply #860395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks and Krslovic in officially. Now I am snoring.

Reply #860475 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

These two look reasonable from what I have read about them but I still think they are not the star injection that the Jackjumpers need.

Reply #860480 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daniel, Weeks hasn't been any good for quite a few seasons, Krislovic is a five man with two mans height. From what was being spread as rumours in the bball community down here to what they have achieved is mind boggling. If lebron is one of your imports you will be fine.

Reply #860486 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I hope that is "the 7" and it's only stars from here, because those two aren't adding much.
I'm a little surprised they've gone for such an old squad.

Reply #860509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks was great back in the day. The Chargers picked him up back in the day (2016)? He was a Kings dev player back in the day, Hawks, Cairns, NZ and the Kings as an injury replacement. Great in his time but now not as fast as he once was. Dufelmeier would run him off the floor right now and also outscore him as well.

Reply #860564 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Roster not looking that solid, you never know though, ex nba coach and three good imports might do it. McVeigh and McDaniel should be serviceable, Magnay even better, could be a bit of light there, certainly don't need injuries, balance of bench is Cairns standard.

Reply #860570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay / ??
Import / Krslovic / Bairstow
McVeigh / Steindl
Import / McDaniel
Import / Weeks /

They have nice role players, a good defensive anchor and 4-5 signings left, depending on Next Star. At least three of the final signings need to be really good NBL players.

Reply #860575 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's going to be very interesting to see how he shapes the squad.
How much will he follow the Gleeson model, and how much will he try to bring his experience to bear.
Still reckon he needs one more local starter...

Reply #860677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay/Bairstow
Import/Krslovic
McVeigh/Steindl
Adams/McDaniel
Magette/Weeks

Starting five starting to look nice. Even better if the last local is starter level. Now just a case of how good the last import is, and what type of local and next star they go for.

Reply #861542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Imo

6'2 J.Adams(i)/6’0 J.Weeks
(import)6’6 S.Mcdaniel/6’3 S.Deans(dp)
(import)/6’8 F.Krslovic/6’7 J.Bairstow
6’10 W.Magnay/local c or ns

Reply #861544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FFS get over this fantasy stuff please! You are allowed 3 imports and a NS and an asian player! A local who can start? None of the current side can other than Magnay.

Reply #861545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its 11 + ns

Reply #861546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A local who can start? None of the current side can other than Magnay."

Which is exactly why people are wanting one more local who can start with the final spot on the 11-man roster. A next star would be in addition to that.

#544 I think if Magette has signed then Adams starts at SG and then swings to PG when Magette sits.

Reply #861547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cam bairstow if fit ?

Reply #861551 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be a nice fit with his bro! Nice balance and depth in this team:

C: Magnay / C Bairstow / J Bairstow
PF: C Bairstow / McVeigh / Import 3-4 / Krslovic
SF: Import 3-4 / Steindl / McVeigh / McDaniel
SG: Adams / McDaniel / Steindl
PG: Magette / Adams / Weeks

They could even keep an import spot up their sleeve in case Cam gets injured, then add depth with another local and next star.

Magnay / J Bairstow
C Bairstow / Krslovic
McVeigh / Steindl
Adams / McDaniel
Magette / Weeks

Reply #861556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiny backcourt

Reply #861557 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

With imports, it's often about giving them an opportunity and a taste of the NBL and Australia. Some go on to bigger and better things, some stick around. I'm certainly not going to bag a couple of guys I haven't seen play yet.

It's fairly common in the NBL to see combo guards in the backcourt, so we'll just have to wait and see how these things work out.

Still waiting on one local spot to complete that part of the roster. I'm hoping they've got something big in play, as they still need to name a Captain. (No idea who might still be in play though.)
Or they could go for an "Asian"(market) player.

And people should be careful about making "weather" presumptions. Tassie is downright tropical compared to many parts of North America, and "Basketball Players" come from all over.

Reply #861602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It helps to be named josh or mc to get a job with JJ's. :::))))))

Reply #861606 | Report this post

Beach Baller  
Years ago

Nikita Mikhailovskii, a 6'8 Russian wing who was named VTB young player of the year, will sign with the Tasmania JackJumpers of the Australian NBL as part of their Next Star program, a source told ESPN.

Reply #863039 | Report this post

AntAntAnt  
Years ago

JJs will announce import number 3 on Monday.

Reply #866008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need a star import. So far they don't.

Reply #866055 | Report this post

Daniel Felmingham  
Years ago

Any idea if this player is another American?

Reply #866056 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

99% of NBL imports are American.

Reply #866058 | Report this post

Beach Baller  
Years ago

They could name Anthony Davis as their next import and Anon #6055 would still spin a negative view on it. Seems to have a bee in his bonnet about the JJ's... Silly boy.

Reply #866102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No bee in the bonnet at all. With the chance to select a great team Tassie has a team of players that simply "aren't there" Reasonable players for sure and most of them aren't game winners. See the difference?

Reply #866143 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:04 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754