Curtley
Years ago

Boomers games & opponents confirmed

I believe all games are AEST.

Australia SHOULD finish top and go through undefeated in group games. Can anyone confirm what happens after group games? How does 9 go into 8?

Warm-Ups:

Sunday, July 11 - Australia vs. Argentina - 10:30 a.m.
Tuesday, July 13 - Australia vs. United States - 10:00 a.m.
Wednesday, July 14 - Australia vs. Nigeria - 11:30 a.m.
Saturday, July 17 - Australia vs. United States - 8:00 a.m.

Olympics Group Games:

Sunday, July 25 - Australia vs Nigeria - 6:20 p.m.
Wednesday, July 28 - Australia v Italy - 6:20 p.m.
Saturday, July 31 - Australia v Germany - 6:20 p.m

Topic #48869 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's 12

Reply #858429 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But the top three from the three groups advances

Reply #858431 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are all Olympic games going to be shown live on TV?

Reply #858438 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Warmup tourney thread is here:

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/48776-pre-olympic-games-boomers-in-las-vegas-2021/

Reply #858439 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Are all Olympic games going to be shown live on TV?

There will be 45 live channels so yes.

Reply #858441 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

45 live channels across traditional TV (Ch7 et al) and streaming (7plus) to be precise.

Reply #858442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You beauty. Time of games are good as well for us.

Reply #858446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Top 2 teams from each group go through. Then the top 2 3rd place teams go through.

Reply #858491 | Report this post

Libertine  
Years ago

The top 3 group winners and best 2nd placed are seeded. The other 4 qualifiers are not seeded.

The 4 seeded teams are drawn, then the 4 unseeded teams.

Basically means you cannot manipulate your group position to get a certain route to the Final. It's luck of the draw when the 8 teams are drawn for the knockouts.

Reply #858697 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"The top 3 group winners and best 2nd placed are seeded. The other 4 qualifiers are not seeded.

The 4 seeded teams are drawn, then the 4 unseeded teams.

Basically means you cannot manipulate your group position to get a certain route to the Final. It's luck of the draw when the 8 teams are drawn for the knockouts."

Not sure I understand. Does that mean we could come first and still get a USA booby prize?

Reply #858712 | Report this post

Nostraballmus  
Years ago

Not if both US and Oz top their groups or are the best placed 2nd

Reply #858714 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

As a top four placed team you get seeded and your opponent is drawn randomly out of the four remaining unseeded sides.

Reply #858715 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Never mind I've just looked it up. Here's a link for anyone else wanting clarity

https://www.fiba.basketball/olympics/men/2020/competition-system

Reply #858716 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ok, so there are two pots drawn. One pot has top seeds of each pool and the best performing second team. The other pot has the two other second placers and the two best third placed teams.

If we do come first in our group (big if) we can only be drawn with second and third placed teams from the two other groups.

Assume USA and Spain take their groups, chances are our quarterfinal match up is one of France, Czech Republic, Slovenia or Argentina - with all due respect to Japan and Iran.

Easy games? No. But all winnable. France probably the one that'd cause most consternation.

If we finished second (or god forbid third) we are probably looking at Spain, USA, and whoever is the best placed second team? (Maybe again that is France?)

I see a few very viable paths to the medal rounds for the Boomers.

Reply #858725 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

For those outside Australia, anyone know how to watch these games? Do betting sites stream these kinds of games?

Reply #859394 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754