More money

Reply #860728 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Money Makin Mooney

Reply #860731 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

I thought he re-signed in Perth. Obviously mistaken.

Got a link to the signing? I wonder if it's with Lemanis' team? Also wonder if Trev's departure has had an impact on his decision?

Reply #860733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

:(

Reply #860734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money, money, money, good luck to him.

Reply #860736 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

https://twitter.com/CHIBAJETS/status/1415507211330088964?s=19

Reply #860741 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Thanks TB!

Reply #860743 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

for me this is almost as bad as Trevs departure. I hope the Wildcats still have the same scouting team and they can pull off another gun signing at the PF spot.

Reply #860747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Center spot...

Reply #860748 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats scouting team was Jacob Chance and Trevor Gleeson...

Reply #860749 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

When do we start playing another round of "This will be the season the Wildcats wont make finals!"?

Reply #860750 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It obviously would have been great to have the Moondog back, but I figured he had played himself out of this league so it's no surprise and therefore doesn't really feel disappointing. I'm happy for him.

Trev has had a very nice strike rate with recruiting. So in that respect it hurts, because who knows what the import pipeline is going to look like for Perth going forwards.

Reply #860751 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Gleeson being around the NBA might be inclined to send players our way who aren't going to get NBA contracts. Inside man like. :P

Reply #860753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without seeing the final cats roster, this could be the year the cats miss out. The most stable organisation has lost it gun coach, it's owner, a much better than average centre.
By the way I tipped cats to make finals this season, I’m not tipping against them yet, could be the first chink in the armour for a very long time though.

Reply #860754 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Mooney has a great career ahead of him, but is Japan the best place for his long term development?

Whose behind the Gleeson departure rumour? Anyone reputable? Is there anything to it? I assume he's still uncontracted for next season?

Reply #860755 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh right just googled it, wow, that's massive

Reply #860756 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

c'mon LV, how far behind are you?

Reply #860759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a higher turnover than usual ? Or just because they are some big pieces (Owner/Coach/Strong Import) ?

20/21 Wildcats

Owner / Gone

Coaching Staff
Trevor Gleeson / Gone
Jacob Chance
Luke Brennan
Scott Roth / Gone

Roster
Jarred Bairstow / Gone
Todd Blanchfield / Signed
Taylor Britt
Bryce Cotton / Signed
Andrew Ferguson
Tom Jervis
Will Magnay / Gone
Majok Majok / Signed
John Mooney / Gone
Mitch Norton / Signed
Michael Riley
Corey Shervill / Signed
Clint Steindl / Gone
Wani Swaka Lo Buluk
Luke Travers / Signed
Jesse Wagstaff / Signed
Kevin White

Reply #860762 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Whose behind the Gleeson departure rumour? Anyone reputable?
I think a Trevor Gleeson press conference and Perth Wildcats media release are relatively reputable, all things considered.

Reply #860763 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

How would Cotton be feeling with his club, right now?

HC gone, AC gone, Owners gone and now, Mooney gone. Every one of whom were an enourmous part of their success.

Will all that affect what Cotton does?

Reply #860764 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is this a higher turnover than usual ? Or just because they are some big pieces (Owner/Coach/Strong Import) ?
The difference between this turnover and previous years' turnover is that this year's turnover consists of the exact people who have allowed the team to remain strong through the year-to-year roster turnover. So yeah, it's about who, not how many.

Reply #860765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much more does Japan pay someone of Mooney's calibre relative to nbl

Reply #860766 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They contacted several 4-5 ma Nbl guys

Reply #860767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

were is the former bullets coach coaching in japan

Reply #860770 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

As a Cats fan, the loss of Trev and Bendat is huge, but I feel like we have kept the right players and moved on the ones that don't hold enough value for us. Mooney was never guaranteed to come back, NBA or more money being the most likely reasons he does not. Now all those decisions have come based on the old Cats hierarchy, the decisions to come will be from the new hierarchy and the first big move will be signing the right coach, followed by filling out our time. Bar Trev leaving, our roster is in a fine spot, but it just depends on what the new ownership does moving forward.

Reply #860772 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

*filling out our roster, not time.

Reply #860774 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

lets not forget of this years starting 5 only Bryce was a starter the previous season. Norton and Travers elevated from bench and Blanch(new), Mooney(new) Bairstow(new) Magnay(new) along with the other new signings so high player turn over isn't new. the NBL still need to sign off on the sale so new owners aren't involved yet but you'd expect the team to not make any moves until that does go through.

Reply #860778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Johnson coukd be going to b league

Reply #860779 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

NBL still need to sign off on the sale so new owners aren't involved yet but you'd expect the team to not make any moves until that does go through.
This would be incredibly dumb.

Reply #860780 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

So we can settle the Kay vs Mooney, who is better argument once and for all... oh wait how do we see that?

Reply #860781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know there were factors such as not playing at home, but if Raptors have a couple more lean years, Nurse could bolt or be fired. Fickle league, Bevo could be back very soon.

Reply #860783 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"I know there were factors such as not playing at home, but if Raptors have a couple more lean years, Nurse could bolt or be fired."

Raptors are basically rebuilding, looking to move on Lowry, maybe Siakam too, so unless they can get another big name like they did with Kawhi, I don't think there will be much pressure on Nurse at all.

Reply #860785 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Disappointed as Cats and NBL fan, but realistically the only way Mooney stayed in the NBL was if he put heart in front of head.

Interesting that soe many are signing and/or re-signing in Japan, obviously the money there is particularly attractive at this time. But for Mooney it was going to be somewhere.

And yes, it's possible Trev's departure played a part. Without him, nobody to advocate paying overs to keep Mooney, and the uncertainty would make Perth less attractive.

Too early to say much apart Perth's prospects.
New owners and new coach leaves some big question marks. Wait & See

Reply #860786 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Have to wonder what the wildcats thought process was only giving him a one year deal, they really shot themselves in the foot

Reply #860817 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Easy to say in retrospect, noone was saying he was going to be a good pick up yet he exceeded Kay's output.

In other news Cottons insta post watching SBL team with Jarrod Kenny, Rhys Vague and.... Devondrick Walker.

Reply #860837 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Must be an old post, they're all playing for the Hawks in NZNBL.

Often wondered about Walker. Didn't set the world on fire for SEM, but was well regarded when In Perth. COULD fit the bill as a bench option in Perth

Reply #860849 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Well it was on his insta story tonight?

Reply #860872 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

@senator11

You'd at least go with a 1+1 team option or something no?

Reply #860873 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Imports almost never sign for multiple years out of the gate.

Reply #860874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Well it was on his insta story tonight?"

Cotton is in New Zealand - that's a NZNBL game.

Reply #860896 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

'Cotton is in New Zealand'

Ah, that makes more sense.

Loungefly, as someone said brand new imports don't usually sign for more than 1 year, especially one as young as him. Never know if they don't quite fit or they might not want to stay any longer.

Reply #860928 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Considering Ennis was the last one to leave after one season I never really thought about it.

Reply #860931 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

600 k + you'd think.

Reply #860932 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

"Considering Ennis was the last one to leave after one season I never really thought about it."

Pretty sure guys like Randle, Ware, Trice, Long, Trimble etc etc were all on single season contracts when they first arrived. Ennis was on an NBA roster, so that was alway's going to be a single year.

Reply #860954 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:04 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754