Luuuc
Years ago

The Adventures of Liz Cambage, Episode 439575

The Australian Opals are discussing Liz Cambage's future with the team for the Tokyo Olympics due to an incident that occurred in a closed-door scrimmage against Nigeria, sources told ESPN.

Cambage was involved in a physical altercation, as well as a charged verbal exchange, sources told ESPN. There are discussions regarding her potential removal from the team ahead of the Tokyo Olympics.

(Olgun twitter)

Topic #48947 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Opals could be without superstar Liz Cambage at the Tokyo Olympics following multiple incidents involving the four-time WNBA All-Star, which have upset teammates and officials. AOC also investigating and could be stood down.

Daily Telegraph Link

Reply #860963 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Must be pretty bad when you consider some of the behaviour glossed over by some of our male players in past years.

Reply #860964 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Must be pretty bad when you consider some of the behaviour glossed over by some of our male players in past years."

Such as?

Reply #860966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dont get it. Here we have an uber talented player whose Aussie team mates past and present are so ready to embrace her, and she behaves like that. Coach Brondello and team captain O'Hea came out to support her and now she does this. Almost feels like she's doing a Ben Simmons - did not really want to play for the Opals from the get go, starting with that silly boycott threat, and now these indisgretions and lack of respect for the team. I just cant fathom it.

Why cant she be more like Lauren Jackson or Michelle teams or just about anyone of previous Aussie womens players. I have never seen anyone from the NBL WNBL elite who behaved like this.

And that picture where she was with her WNBA team mates is pretty telling, the only one without a mask when so much is at stake for the Opals campaign.

I say dump her. She's just too disruptive. It will be to the team's detriment in terms of the campaign, but at least she knows she's done the wrong thing.

Reply #860970 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

By the way

The Opals only picked an 11-player squad for the Olympics, with no reserves, and would be down to 10 if Cambage was withdrawn.

Since when?
I noticed the other day that Lavey was missing from a team photo from camp that was being widely circulated, but the original named team was definitely 12.

Reply #860971 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's 12. Sami was reserve for Mitchell, heal n Blicavs anyone else.

Reply #860973 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

1 Rebecca Allen
2 Elizabeth Cambage
3 Katie Ebzery
4 Cayla George
5 Tessa Lavey
6 Tess Madgen
7 Eziyoda Magbegor
8 Leilani Mitchell
9 Jenna O'Hea
10 Alanna Smith
11 Stephanie Talbot
12 Marianna Tolo

https://australia.basketball/blog/2021/05/26/opals-named-for-tokyo-2020-australian-olympic-team/

Reply #860974 | Report this post

Bolt  
Years ago

Seriously? The constant turning a blind eye to Boguts outspoken support of horrendous beliefs over the years - Ustase for example - is dreadful. Kickert dragged our program into the darkest day in its history. Nothing...

The reality is, the Opals won't medal without Cambage. The fact that people like Bogut & Anstey are lapping it up isn’t very patriotic. If it was Landale in the same boat there wouldn’t be a single word from either.

Cambage is a muppet but this partially insidious behaviour from people who should be supporting our chances of success is disgusting. Cambage is outspoken about issues that concern her directly - usually in a manner that’s going to grind some gears. I certainly don’t support the manner in which she’s goes about it but she’s attempting to bring light to issues like racism, not defending a fascist nationalist group that committed genocide against a race of people. It’s crap.

Reply #860975 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Is it true Cabbage is of Nigerian descent?

Reply #860976 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

* Cambage

Reply #860977 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes, her father is Nigerian

Reply #860978 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well just as Cambage is allowed to voice her opinion and has every right to be ridiculed, so do Bogut and Anstey. But it's interesting to me that they're expected to be patriotic yet she isn't. She can go around flouting covid rules, getting into fights, slagging off Australians and that's apparently her right to do so. Yet Bogut and Anstey are apparently meant to hold their tongue.

And we're not talking about if Landale did it. Landale doesn't have over a decade in the books of saying stupid shit, dodging Boomers practices to DJ and any other thing that Cambage has consistently done. The closest example we have is Creek and he was kicked out of Boomers camp for simply the rumours around him. No evidence they were true. Nothing to say of his conduct at camp being any less than professional. But there were rumours, BA couldn't reconcile with them, and he was kicked off. Bogut and Anstey said little about them, sure, but they were specifically legal matters. This is not.

Reply #860982 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a pragmatist the biggest issue is the flouting of COVID rules. Getting into arguments n carrying on like a Goose is just an annoying distraction.

Reply #860983 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Well take a look at Bradley Beal. One guy "maybe" was exposed to Covid, we dont even know if he has it, and yet four national teams are now in question waiting on their own results to see if they can even go to Tokyo.

What Liz was doing had serious ramifications for the entire Olympics.

Reply #860988 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Michelle just posted the story in her facebook story with the caption "enough is enough"

Chances are she knows more to the story than we do at the moment. I'd say pretty big for it to come from her.

Reply #860992 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

if Julie Bishop can have a doll, why not Liz?

She could have a Cambage Patch line showing her different personas - basketballer, DJ, social activist, martial arts, party girl, ... Should sell well to the younger generation, you'd think?

Reply #860993 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Looking forward to Bogey's next pod on Monday.

Our medal hopes are strongly tied to Liz, but I'd rather the team expel her and battle on with players who have their heads down doing the right thing.

Reply #861012 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Cambage should have her own reality show.

Reply #861015 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I hope they leave her punk arse in Vegas

Reply #861016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Expose sandy as hc

Reply #861018 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

ah Lizzie, Lizzie, Lizzie, Lizzie. Do us all a favour BA and cut ties with her

Reply #861019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get zitina in

Reply #861020 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I can't confirm this for sure, it's a rumour that's gone around from a few people that have links to the Opals camp. But I am hearing she was saying particularly racist things to Nigerian players which caused a fight, and now none of the Opals want to play with her.

Reply #861021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She rubbed the boomers win in.

Reply #861022 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

As if she would be saying racist things.
That would be ridiculous

Reply #861027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She got booted off the team just now.

Reply #861028 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"As if she would be saying racist things.
That would be ridiculous"

Well apparently that's the case...

Reply #861029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clean out after Tokyo, 3-4 players should not be there.

Reply #861030 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

She's just walked out on Opals camp

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/olympics/australian-star-liz-cambages-olympic-campaign-under-a-cloud-after-alleged-incidents-in-las-vegas/news-story/371004466f38d6215657825f51fdf62f

Reply #861031 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Opals star Liz Cambage has left the Australian team camp in Las Vegas as she faces multiple allegations, which are currently under investigation.

NewsCorp can reveal Cambage is no longer in camp and teammates and officials don't know where she has gone as she faces being booted from the Tokyo Olympics.

It leaves the Australian women in a difficult position, just hours before the team’s final exhibition game against Team USA from 4.30am (AEST).

The Australian Olympic Committee will make the final decision on Cambage’s fate given she is under the AOC’s watch as an Olympic athlete.

Reply #861032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal
Rocci
Nicholson
Blicavs
Aokuso

Who u take if possible!

Reply #861034 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

If she remains on the team after all this it would really be egg on BA's face. At some point you have to draw a line in the sand, even if it means not medalling.

Reply #861035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy has to medal to keep her job. About to lose Phoenix job too.

Reply #861036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

[Must be pretty bad when you consider some of the behaviour glossed over by some of our male players in past years.]

[Seriously? The constant turning a blind eye to Boguts outspoken support of horrendous beliefs over the years ]

Oh dear.

It truly is the silly season on hoops.com.au

Reply #861041 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^Me

Reply #861042 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I believe in Sandy. Mariano Tolo, your time to step up is now as with Magbegor and George.

It's kinda sad that Batgirl has retired as she would be helpful right now.

Reply #861044 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Imagine what else she got up to in Vegas while playing for the Aces before the national team spotlight arrived.

Reply #861047 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy is the worst coach in opals history, ranked from 2000

Reply #861048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Record is like 15-8

Reply #861049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Suzy is 40 ffs

Reply #861050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She just released statement. Mental health,anxiety to be exacerbated by Olympic bubble so she's leaving team. She got it in quickly. Wonder how BA will respond.

Reply #861052 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"Mental health reasons" aka instant sympathy card, you cant fire me I quit, don't nobody look too deeply at what I was doing, trick. She was acting a fool. So scared of the covid Olympics but out in the city without a mask.

Reply #861054 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

In the context of the previous reports, it's a sensible pre-emptive move. It feels unusual to think "that's kind of smart" from something coming from Cambage's social media.

Reply #861056 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"Mental health" is a serious issue, but on occasions is trivialised and used as an excuse.

Of course, none of us can say with 100% certainty that this is the case. But it seems likely.

Reply #861057 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As if she would be saying racist things.
That would be ridiculous"

Yeah, it's not like she's already done this twice publicly this year!

Reply #861058 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nicholson would be my pick

Ebzery-Mitchell-Lavey
Talbot-madgen
Allen-Ohea-Nicholson
Magbegor-smith
George-tolo

No Sami n no Liz though lol, joke from the beginning.

Reply #861059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australian basketballer Liz Cambage has withdrawn from the Olympic Games.

In a statement, Cambage said she had been having panic attacks about the prospect of heading into an Olympic bubble with "no support system outside of my team".

"Relying on daily medication to control my anxiety is not the place I want to be right now. Especially walking into competition on the world's biggest sporting stage," she wrote.

"I know myself and I know I can't be the Liz everyone deserves to see compete for the Opals. Not right now at least. I need to take care of myself mentally and physically.

"It breaks my heart to announce I'm withdrawing from the Olympics, but I think it's best for the Opals and myself."

More to come.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-07-16/australian-basketballer-liz-cambage-withdraws-tokyo-olympics/100299150

Reply #861060 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

I hope similar to Ben and the Boomers that she is never considered again

Reply #861061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This shall,test sandys coaching ability.

Reply #861062 | Report this post

Sebastian  
Years ago

Opals wont medal

Reply #861063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe bronze if lucky.

Taking away 1/3 points, 1/3 rebounds without Liz

Reply #861065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I hope she never represents australia again, toxic to the culture and rest of the team. Attention seeking diva!

Reply #861066 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

No doubt a bit of partying and relaxing with close friends will boost her mental health. And a bit of working on her basics, of course.

Reply #861072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No WC Liz fk off

Reply #861073 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

"Cambage said she had been having panic attacks about the prospect of heading into an Olympic bubble with "no support system outside of my team"."

But yet she has no problems in the NBA which is a bloody big stage, pays for her lifestyle, was affected by Covid, etc etc?? Really, Liz?

I think I agree with previous comments - get in first with YOUR side of things, so that BA and Sandy have to try to catch up or go into damage control.

Reply #861075 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

""Mental health" is a serious issue, but on occasions is trivialised and used as an excuse.

Of course, none of us can say with 100% certainty that this is the case. But it seems likely."

What we can see with 100% certainty though is that somebody with no idea will always imply that the person is just using it as an excuse.

Reply #861076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is what it is, to much media, commenting on both Cambage and Simmons. Let's leave it on the shelf and let them and us get on with it in silence.

Reply #861081 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

"Basketball star Liz Cambage may never play for Australia again after a tumultuous 24 hours during which she walked away from the Opals camp in Las Vegas before withdrawing from the Tokyo Olympics.

Cambage said she was “heartbroken" and cited mental health issues as it emerged she was under investigation for a series of incidents inside the team bubble.

It's understood Cambage was involved in a physical altercation during a private scrimmage against Nigeria this week, which resulted in heated verbal abuse of her opponents.

The four-time WNBA All-Star is also understood to have broken team protocols to go out in Las Vegas, where she plays with the Aces in the WNBA, while it’s understood there is another incident being investigated by team officials.”

She’s an embarrassment, her outpourings for attention on social media with the fake American accent, portrays her as a very unstable individual.

Opals will be fine without her, and hopefully BA follow through so she never plays for Australia again.

Reply #861104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hopefully gone now but the team needs a major refresh

Reply #861106 | Report this post

You need a higher level of Hoops membership to post in this thread. If you're a longtime, registered member, contact me for an upgrade.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754