Anonymous
Years ago

Wildcats announce Mike Kelly as Associate Head Coach

Wildcats Twitter account has suggested they're about to announce some news.

Anyone know? Head coach?

Topic #49006 | Report this topic

Scout  
Years ago

Mike Kelly to join coaching staff

Reply #862674 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Reply #862675 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

What the hell is an associate head coach?

Reply #862676 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lead assistant^

Reply #862677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very good decision, Kelly will fit right in there with Perth culture.

Reply #862678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whats the difference between an Associate Head Coach & and assistant coach??

Reply #862679 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I think that's a way of saying that we want SOMEBODY in the chair so we can start our pre-season, whilst still searching/waiting for somebody better qualified.

He seemed to be well respected at MU, so I'm happy enough with him in that role.
Hopefully some players to follow.

Reply #862680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

>Whats the difference between an Associate Head Coach & and assistant coach??

Probably dollars

Reply #862683 | Report this post

Ankle Breaker  
Years ago

It's really an NBA type role, the Associate Head Coach is the next in command from the head coach, ahead of all the other assistant coaches.

I am not sure if there are any similar positions at any other NBL team. They generally dont have many assistant coaches like an NBA team.

Maybe the Wildcats are concerned that it may take awhile to fill teh head coach role, so atleast put someone in charge who has an idea how it works in the NBL and has some contacts for scouting imports.

I thought Mike Kelly was a pretty solid coach for the Taipans, so not a bad pickup for the Wildcats.

Reply #862684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I won't make Perth my most disliked side now, I’m actually hoping they do well, Mike is a straight shooter and knows his basketball, Cairns are a basket case. Will Machado follow him there ?

Reply #862686 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Machado to cats? ;)

Reply #862687 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

I find it strange they've hired an Associate Head Coach before hiring the actual HC - surely the actual HC had a say in this?

Reply #862688 | Report this post

LITS  
Years ago

Just a theory... But could it be we have agreed to terms with a new Head Coach but it can't be announced yet because they are currently coaching elsewhere, and can't get back to Perth for the announcement... I'm thinking Matty Nielsen.

Surely the new Head Coach would want a say in who his lead assistant is going to be, and if it was Nielsen. He could have approved the Kelly signing form Tokyo.

Reply #862689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great pickup - Seems a really decent human being who keeps his composure and oozes professionalism. Welcome aboard I say.

Reply #862690 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

We already have thousands of assistants on the bench so may as well have two head coaches.

Reply #862691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can't see Nielsen going to Perth as I think he was in the chair two seasons ago but Gleeson won the comp and extended. He rejected the kings offer as well, his family could be the only reason I see Perth as an option or it’s crack the nba.

Reply #862692 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

If we are hiring a head coach level person as an assistant they must have a big name overseas gut ready for the head role. Kelly knows the league, players, refs coaches etc. Good get as an assistant (associate)

Reply #862694 | Report this post

Mobbin  
Years ago

Always seemed a high class player and straight shooter so if we go for a young / up coming head coach he would be good support structure move. Would assume Bob Thornton, who was a Gleeson mentor, is gone then.

Reply #862697 | Report this post

Rain Man  
Years ago

Mike Brown was "associate head coach" at Warriors. Basically filled in as head when Kerr wasn't there. Maybe this is a simple case of he’s the head coach until a better option is found or he delivers results, where he would then be elevated. Seems like money saving for the new owners possibly and also a way to connect the league to the prestige of NBA?

Reply #862702 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Yeah this is a pretty good sign of things to come for Wildcats fans. Mike Kelly is obviously HC material so for him to go back down to take an assistant coach position suggests they've got a pretty big fish lined up who for whatever reason can't be announced just yet. He's also likely there to help show an inexperienced HC the ropes.

I too would be thinking Matt Nielsen currently on the Boomers coaching staff in Tokyo might be the one.

Reply #862703 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

Hard to say with Nielsen. His family was settled in Perth, and they basically moved just before Covid hit. That might be a strain, but where's his wife from?
As they say, Happy Wife = Happy Life

Reply #862706 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

His wife is from Perth.

Reply #862708 | Report this post

Fat Harold  
Years ago

What's happened to the great big guy who was Trev's assistant this year. He has NBA experience, been around Trev for a year and knows his system. The Cats wouldn't have brought him out from the USA if he was a dud and he wouldn't have come out here for the money, I assume. Maybe Trev's given him the bums rush, but I would have thought he'd be the obvious choice.

Reply #862710 | Report this post

Tricks  
Years ago

Good dude. Really good dude. One of the most pure bball people I've ever known.

Will fit in at Perth.

Reply #862712 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He has NBA experience, been around Trev for a year and knows his system.

Bob Thornton, ex-teammate of Lanard Copeland & Charles Barkley at the 76ers.

I assume like Scott Roth before him he's out here to dip his toe in see if maybe he can get a HC gig somewhere in the hopes the NBA scouts will see him regularly and get a gig again back in the show.

Reply #862720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He represents everything Perth stands work. Hard work. Team work.

Reply #862721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neilson will be announced the next coach just before the summer league starts. It's almost a done deal

Reply #862722 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

I got the impression Bob essentially came out of retirement for the Perth job.
I'm not sure if he's even still in Perth, somebody said he'd gone back to America???

Reply #862723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

100% not Nielsen .. has zero interest

Reply #862725 | Report this post

TB  
Years ago

Lol Anon says that Nielson is a done deal...then cancels themself out by saying Nielson has zero interest.

Anon's split personality makes it hard to take them seriously but does make for some fun reading.

Reply #862728 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One of them can actually spell Nielsen.

Reply #862729 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

I would have been pleased if Kelly was announced as the head coach. He's a very good coach it will be interesting to see who will be named head coach.

I cant see machado playing for the cats with Norton their starting PG and future captain.

Reply #862736 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

We already have thousands of assistants on the bench so may as well have two head coaches.

JackJumpers would be shortest odds to do that first

Reply #862738 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I see what you did there.

Reply #862739 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good signing.

Reply #862741 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Wildcats has a culture for being a great defensive team and with Mike Kelly being a legendary defender himself (watch him put the clamps on prime Gaze) then you'd imagine the defensive reputation isn't changing with Mike around.

So we have head coaches, associate head coaches and whatever Dan Shamir is (director of coaching I think it is)... strange job titles these days

Reply #862742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neilson aint Komin ... So the plot thickens

Phil Handy mm would be perfect for the role

Reply #862743 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

So we have head coaches, associate head coaches and whatever Dan Shamir is (director of coaching I think it is)... strange job titles these days

Associate Head Coach is just a bit of a wank NBA term for the lead assistant coach. The AHC as the most senior of the team's assistant coaches is the one who takes over as acting head coach if the HC gets ejected in a game or is otherwise unavailable and away from the team.

Dan Shamir was hired as director of coaching or whatever solely to get around NZB not wanting to fire Kevin Braswell as HC for financial reasons as he was only one year into his 3 year deal at the time. Essentially they just made the HC position redundant during that period.

Even though Braswell's contract has ended it's a bit interesting that the NZB still haven't announced Shamir's signing of his contract extension yet although Santa first mentioned it a good month or so ago.

Reply #862746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kelly's team was horrible defensively this year so I'm not convinced

Reply #862747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great signing. There is a reason he isn't in Cairns now. He actually can't coach!

Reply #862751 | Report this post

el jefe  
Years ago

no neilson aint komin in as HC so stop speculatin .. almost a done deal LOL

where do u people make your shxt up

Reply #862754 | Report this post

Andre  
Years ago

HC is an American. Forget Matty.

Reply #862759 | Report this post

loungefly  
Years ago

According to the West Australian but rest of the story is blocked behind a paywall

"Perth Wildcats have appointed former assistant coach Matt Nielsen and ex-Australian Boomers coach Andrej Lemanis to an Advisory Committee"

Reply #862763 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Coaches don't play defence, players do, Kelly was benching players like Noi, problem next man up is just as bad.
Smart move by Perth.

Reply #862766 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

If Kelly is our assistant coach oops I mean associate coach then that's a good signing can only imagine we have a big fish lined up for actual head coach.

Reply #862773 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

No we don't, that's the point.
We've appointed Kelly as AHC, so that we can keep moving forward, whilst searching for a new coach.

He is the acting head coach, until we find somebody better. Hopefully it means the club can push ahead with signing players.

Reply #862799 | Report this post

Timeline  
Years ago

Why would Neilson give up his great job for a downgrade? He

Reply #863138 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The West Australian has reported that Matt Nielsen won't be the coach but is part of an advisory panel to select the next coach. Cats hoping for an announcement by mid to late August.

Reply #863169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BY the time they pick a coach wont be anyone left to hire to play.

Reply #863181 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hire to play you say> Yeah, at this rate it might come down to that!

Reply #863236 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754