Isaac
Years ago

United sign 7'er Next Star Ariel Hukporti

Topic #49010 | Report this topic

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Great to see a team go with a next star big.

Reply #862769 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wow. Great signing. This guy already a starter in the Lithuanian league last season

Reply #862774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he in this years draft or next year?

Reply #862775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting.

Reply #862776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why are these Euro prospects opting for the NBL? Is it because the freer offence helps them translate to the NBA better?

Reply #862779 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Great signing but apparently now even playing pro doesn't exclude you from being a next star.

Reply #862780 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

His nickname is The Little Mermaid.

Reply #862781 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I think just being draft eligible counts you as next star. Hukporti is born in 2002.

The rules seem to vary.
I have seen him on some draft boards in the second round.

Reply #862784 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Why are these Euro prospects opting for the NBL?

Because there are a lot of NBA eyeballs on the NBL these days.

Great signing but apparently now even playing pro doesn't exclude you from being a next star.

Nothing new Didi Louzada was already playing pro ball in Brazil before coming to the NBL.

Reply #862785 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Of German-Togolese descent.

Reply #862786 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who starts

Reply #862788 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"The rules seem to vary." = NBL in a nutshell. Not really complaining because I'm happy to see talent in the league, but it would be good to see a definition of 'Next Star' put on paper and a little more transparency around how they end up on the teams that they do.

Reply #862829 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

JLA/Hukporti(NS)
White(Inj)/Barlow/Peatling
Import/Newley
CG/Prewster
Delly/Ili

DP: Triplett. Short?

Will United sign an injury replacement for White I wonder

Reply #862848 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

With White injured and Hukporti a next star that still leaves 3 spots on roster.
A starting small forward
A Starting power forward
A fifth guard?

Looking good.

Reply #862857 | Report this post

Bullets  
Years ago

I don't mind a bit of flexibility on next stars signings.
The G-League adapted to counter us and draw some of that young talent so why shouldn’t we adapt too?
I think sometimes we need to get down off our high horses and remember the NBL is a business. Putting young exciting talent on the floor (regardless of where it comes from - US high schools, local junior stars, graduating college seniors or young European talent) shouldn’t matter. It is a central part of the leagues success moving forward.

Reply #862858 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So you get 12 not 11 with a next star?

I knew NBL pays (some?) Salary but had forgotten that

Reply #862860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

6'3 M.Dellavedova/6’0 S.Ili
6’4 C.Goulding/(i)/6’5 D.Prewster/6’5 Z.Triplett(dp)
(i)/6’6 B.Newley
6’8 J.White/6’8 M.Peatling/6’9 D.Barlow/6’10 D.Okwera(dp)-reports
7’0 J.Acuil/7’0 A.Hukporti(ns)

2 import spots remain
Likely a starting sf and a backup sg/sf

Reply #862861 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

re; "... but it would be good to see a definition of 'Next Star' put on paper", then we would not be able to chop and change to suit or even, to overcome obstacles that are placed in our way.

You are master of what is not said (written), a slave to what you have.

Reply #862862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They'll leave the extra import spot open if Delly remains nba.

Reply #862864 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any chance Hopson to come back? Excited to see what JLA can do with starter minutes.

Reply #862878 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Didnt liam say hopson was pretty much back at United?

Reply #862977 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" I don't mind a bit of flexibility on next stars signings.
The G-League adapted to counter us and draw some of that young talent so why shouldn't we adapt too?
I think sometimes we need to get down off our high horses and remember the NBL is a business. Putting young exciting talent on the floor (regardless of where it comes from - US high schools, local junior stars, graduating college seniors or young European talent) shouldn’t matter. It is a central part of the leagues success moving forward."

Completely agree - the league is becoming very savvy and it’s delivering incredible talent, investment, attention and overall competition.

FWIW we see rich and super professional leagues like the AFL adapt and make business decisions frequently - they make rule changes mid season, they favour clubs with tv slots, they make venue decisions based on what’s best for AFL. They’re incredibly business oriented and they’re not even in a position to have to be so agile or savvy (save for Covid) unlike the NBL where they had to adapt to survive and thrive.

Reply #863020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Russia ns to jjs

Reply #863035 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:22 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754