Anon
Years ago

Dante Exum's prospects post-Olympics

Has had a fantastic olympics thoughts on his NBA opportunities.

Would love to see him go to a team like warriors where I think he would fit well

Topic #49065 | Report this topic

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Exum will get picked up I am sure. He's shown toughness and his poise and decision making has improved as the tournament has gone on.

Delly not getting anywhere near the NBA ever again. Landale played himself into the league. Kay struggled with America's athleticism and probably quietened any NBA speculation on himself today.

Reply #865837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also think Dante has probably played himself into a contract BUT I don't know if taking it would be in his best interests. He has improved as the tournament's gone on, but that just shows how much his lack of game play over the last few years has hurt him. I'd rather see him take a big Euro contract where he's guaranteed to play consistently (provided he stays healthy), than an NBA contract that may well see him sitting on the bench for most of the year. He's just in the wrong place to succeed in the NBA right now. He's too old for rebuilding teams to be particularly interested in letting him soak up minutes and learn on the fly. He's too inexperienced and turnover prone for teams with play-off aspirations to trust him. He needs a situation where he can play, above all. Get back to the NBA once he catches up some of his missed development and can hold down a rotation spot.

Reply #865840 | Report this post

Royba  
Years ago

Agree wholeheartedly.
He won't be main guy NBA so needs to go to Europe and play to improve.

Reply #865843 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Exum showed some good signs the past couple of games but he's still not developed enough. Rather than rotting away at the end of an NBA bench he would be better off actually being thrown into the deep end in Europe or even the NBL. Sink or swim lets see if he can actually play.

But he would also know once you step outside of the NBA bubble the chances of ever getting back in are slim to none so he's probably more concerned about making as much money in the NBA as he can rather than personal development.

Reply #865847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree, Exum would be better playing big minutes in Europe instead of bench sitting in nba. I thought Landale got shown up athletically is much as Kay, no disrespect to either, I'm not convinced Landale isn’t better in Europe as well, I don’t see a lot time on court for him either.

Reply #865854 | Report this post

Loungefly  
Years ago

Landale looked slow and he'll get more exposed on the bigger NBA court with more spacing and iso play. The fact Goulding scrambled over to play help D on a couple of USA drives while Landale just stood there speaks volumes to me.

I hope Exum gets picked up (think Euro better for him or even a season in NBL to show teams he still got it), otherwise sitting on the bench somewhere he'll be competing in the daily training session and getting minutes, most important thing for him is staying healthy.

Reply #865856 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What does he bring to a team? Apart from personal physio.

Reply #865857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Talent, can play D, shoot and pass, just needs more game sense as he made some poor decisions. You can't teach talent.

Reply #865860 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I think everyone on this forum wants Dante to succeed... up until he plays for SEM Phoenix and I reckon that if a one year contract in NBA is offered he should take it as he has almost no hope of returning once he leaves.

As for Landale vs Kay comments it's that old argument of what's better someone that goes missing or someone that is given responsibility and fails as Landale was so frustrating in the second half as he looked so inept once USA picked up their game.

Good luck to every Aussie player and I hope you succeed and prove your worth.

Reply #865861 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

At the risk of sounding like Mark Holden in Australian Idol series 1, I think he needs to lose some weight.

Reply #865871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reath possibly could lighten up as well.

Reply #865876 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Écume is likely to get more money in the NBA than in Europe, so there is that...
It's not like a Euroleague team will throw top dollars at him, as he’s unproven (but has potential), so even a minimum deal in the NBA is likely to be more money, as only top players in Europe would make more.

Reply #865886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is making as much money as he can his primary concern? He's suited up for the Boomers here at the risk of further injury. Even the guaranteed money on his rookie deal would be more than the career earnings of pretty much any Aussie who doesn't crack the NBA.

I don't know Dante, so I may be way off base, but the way he was so involved during the World Cup lead up was really striking. You had Simmons and Bolden having their massive drama public tantrums, and meanwhile this guy who literally can't go is hanging out at camp, basically just doing whatever he can in and around the group. He just seems like someone who isn't content with what he's done.

Reply #865896 | Report this post

Hakeem Mills  
Years ago

Imo can play the Shaun Livingston role for the Warriors

Would be a good pick up for the Bucks too imo.

Won't be an expensive contract though. 2-3 mill a year.

But with his defence and ability to run plays, if he's not injured then He's great pickup.

Injuries is the great question mark with him. But teams won't be investing much to begin with. (relative to NBA salaries)

Landale looked too slow and unathletic for the NBA if I was honest. Baynes too was also unathletic but he made it work. Hopefully Landale can too.

Reply #865967 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

All I know is that dunk he had vs Argentina reminded me of that one time Gaze threw it down on his dad.

Reply #865968 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Landale has been getting cooked on the perimeter regularly this Olympics, bites on just about every shot fake. Something he will really need to work on in the NBA.

Reply #865969 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

All I know is that dunk he had vs Argentina reminded me of that one time Gaze threw it down on his dad.

I actually snort laughed at this. "Get your fkn facts right" Cecil are you out there somewhere

Reply #865971 | Report this post

Andre  
Years ago

Turnover merchant,lucky to be anywhere in the NBA.

Reply #866076 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Hopefully has done enough in these Olympics to earn a backup spot somewhere.
Might have to settle for minimum or close to it.

Reply #866680 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:44 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754