Zodiac
Years ago

Aron Baynes could miss entire 2021-22 season

On this history making night for the Boomers has come some sad news that Aron Baynes is still in hospital with severe nerve damage in his neck more serious than previously thought and could miss the entire 2021-22 season.

https://www.sportingnews.com/au/nba/news/report-aron-baynes-remains-in-hospital-with-neck-injury-could-miss-2021-22-season/1prb9bme0pits1mzw70dw5xo4g

Topic #49084 | Report this topic

Another Anon  
Years ago

On the socials there's a pic of Kay video calling Baynes who appears smiling and in a good mood. So that's something I guess.

Reply #866539 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

That is terrible news for Baynes. He is such an integral part of the Boomers and had at least one year of NBA left in him.

Which socials "Another Anon" please? Any link?

Reply #866546 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Boomers Facebook page has pictures from the dressing room.
Very low key beers before things got a bit loose I suspect ;)

Reply #866547 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Unfortunate news for Baynes. Think we may have seen him in boomers uniform and probably NBA for the last time.
Hope he can still play a season or two in the NBL to cap off his career.

Great to see Mills holding Baynes' medal.

Reply #866579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There are numerous stories about what happened, so with that said, is it not strange that there really hasn't been much said? What’s the injury? How’d he actually do it? How bad it is? What’s it mean for his income/insurance? Usually with injuries we hear more

Reply #866583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With insurance involved, this is probably the reason not much about the incident has been released, waiting for the claim investigation to conclude.

Reply #866615 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I noticed that nobody in Baynes camp has really commented on the Bronze or congratulated the team. Makes me think his injury was very serious. What are some possibilities?

Reply #866660 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Something doesn't add up. Plenty of rumours around. I hope Baynes is doing ok.

Reply #866672 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I also think how the injury came about is a bit suss. A few vague reports about how it was alleged to have occurred is a red herring in my books.

Reply #866679 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, I'm sure there is a lot more to the story. Why not release the specific injury? For example, "cracked vertebrae"? What type of neck injury can you get at half time of a game cause a full season off basketball?
A fall? That bad?

Reply #866682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like players salary, it’s none of your fucking business

Reply #866684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NBA salaries are published .

Reply #866685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Umm, injures happen in sports, and they are addressed. This is yet to be addressed, which is why by it is intriguing. We all hope Baynes is ok, but this has been handled very differently to other news/injuries. In terms of whose business it is, we'll he was playing a world sport at the Olympics, so to think people won’t ask is crazy.

As I said, I hope he is ok, and that he recovers fast, but this is certainly very odd.

Reply #866691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only intriguing to you.

Reply #866692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Agreed, I'm sure there is a lot more to the story. Why not release the specific injury? For example, "cracked vertebrae"? What type of neck injury can you get at half time of a game cause a full season off basketball?
A fall? That bad?" AFAIK he was already injured form an on court incident before the change room incident.

Reply #866718 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Wondering if Toronto waived him knowing that he was going to be unlikely to play next season.

Reply #866774 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I doubt it made much difference supposedly the Raptors only kept open the idea of picking up his option in case his contract needed to be included in the Kyle Lowry sign and trade deal.

Reply #866776 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Couple of theories I have. He has a spinal condition that would be career ending if it got out, even if surgery resolved it. No team would want to take risk, and not sure insurance wise anyway. Would explain in game injury that became worse after "fall" in change rooms.

Maybe that fall was due to something unsafe and he is exploring his legal options before a statement can be released. That's including medical staff.

And lastly but unlikely, did he do something stupid at halftime like headbutt a wall or something to fire up troops?

But would say he's definitely done in NBA, no-one going to pickup an old guy with neck issues. Time to come home and do a Bogut.

Reply #866794 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah he was never in Toronto's plans for this season. The second year option was always just for potential trades.

Would suck if this is the way he goes out of the NBA. I think he can still play a role as a situational role player off the bench to be used against the other big centres of the league

Reply #866802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought he could have cashed in after his Phoenix outlier shooting season, maybe thought raptors would be better option success wise, either way it didn't work.
I do wonder if in the scans they have found something that's either degenerative or maybe simple knock on court triggered something. Not buying the whole fall in change rooms.

Reply #866828 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

It's obvious.
There will be very complex rules surrounding his insurance, and any potential claim.
As a Pure hypothetical example a player might get a lot of money if this is tied back 2 wear and tear sustained during the NBA, they might get lot less for an injury sustained during the Olympics, and they might get nothing if they slipped and fell in the bathtub at home whilst drunk.

And if you think this is bad, try following the AFL. Players get registered with "calf soreness"
And at the end of the season it's revealed they've been playing with a broken foot

Reply #866854 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

The Raptors were likely his best option money wise. I doubt anybody else offered him much more than the minimum. If you look at the rest of the bigs in the market almost nobody got anything more than the MLE and they were all better options than Baynes.

Reply #866866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

"Interesting that the piece was authored by Windhorst of all people. A strategic move by Moldovan no doubt to get eyeballs on the article and his client's name being talked about again in the greater environment."

Interesting that the article wasn't an accurate reflection of events. I wonder why they wanted to get a different version of the truth out there?

Reply #884587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Concussed and allowed to play on. Ridiculous

Reply #884592 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754