Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons
Mills
Thybulle
Kay
Landale

Exum
Daniels-(1-Vasljevic, King, Proctor or *)
Green
(1-White or Cooks)
Humphries-(1-Maker, Reath, Magnay, Froling, Hunter or *)

* someone else

Reply #866708 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Won't make 2024 but maybe 2022/2023

2024 age
Dellevedova 34
Sobey 34
Goulding 36
Ingles 37
Baynes 38

Reply #866709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I forgot Giddey but hes still an unknown,

Reply #866710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey will be in the 2024 team unless he's injured or pulls out.

Let’s just hope he isn’t Australia’s Franky Smokes.

Reply #866712 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

2023 comes before 2024, let's talk about 2023!

WC's are harder to win, so in my eyes at least, 2023 is huge and will further cement the Boomers place as a world Bball powerhouse.

I'd suggest likely changes for 2 years time:

In: Giddey. Hopefully Simmons (I haven't completely given up hope. Let's be optimistic and hope 2021's absence was more about terrible timing after his playoff struggles). Humphries? Travers possible- has real potential and 2 years can be a long time.

Out: Baynes, Goulding. Possibly Sobey and Delly.

Reply #866733 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

^ Although CG relies on skill moreso than speed or athleticism. If no other shooting guards emerge, he might get the gig despite turning 35 late in 2023.

I remember Shane Heal going ballistic in 2004 against NZ. When you can shoot like Hammer or CG, you'll always have some kind of role on a basketball court, as long as your body stays good enough to run up and down the court.

Reply #866736 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

I haven't been here for a while, is there a current "Can we get over Ben Simmons already?" thread that I haven't found yet?

We need to give up hope that Ben Simmons is going to play for the Boomers.

If he can't pull his finger out to play for a team that was our best chance for a medal, especially in his playing era, with Patty Mills leading and so much positive vibes going through there, then he isn't ever going to play for them. I don't care what his excuses were this time, some players missed their kids birthdays, left their families behind, JUST to try to qualify, because it meant that much to them. We don't need that toxic spoiled bullshit in a team that runs on pure heart...

The sooner we can rely on getting quality minutes to those players that want to be there and testing them under international competition, the better... Hopefully Giddey will be one of those players, he has a great head on his shoulders and everything permitting would suit up and we should put our faith in him taking the reins for the future...

Lots more great young talent coming through and if we can give them a dose of Patty's passion to pass the torch, all the better...

Reply #866741 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

I think you try and get the same guys to do both 2023WC and 2024 Olympics.
Simmons for example should commit to both.

One of the reasons the Boomers have done well is chemistry/core.

That core will change slightly, I don't necessarily think Ingles, Baynes and Dellavedova will be back.

Mills will be there.
Giddey should be there and hopefully Humphries too.

Reply #866742 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Anyone failing to include big man Mangok Mathiang on their list of potential Boomers at the next World Cup or Olympics has rocks in their heads.

His broken leg prevented him from being in the Boomers squad for Tokyo.

Reply #866743 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

With or without Simmons the potential squad looks in decent shape to transition into the next generation. Defense and rebounding have the potential to be even better than the current team, particularly if we add Ben and if Green and Travers continue to grow at their current trajectories. By the way on Simmons. I'm in the if he wants to commit to play he is in the team camp. Performance is what the team should be picked on.

Playmaking might be similar with Giddey covering the loss of Delly and the reduced role of Ingles with Mills still having decent impact for a few more campaigns.

The one thing that I am not really seeing is who will be the go to player or the second off the bench guy who can get his own. Who are the next Mills and Goulding? For those in the know are Daniels or Proctor that type?

Reply #866756 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

People are being harsh on Simmons

Did Bogut and Longley always miss the team due to "injuries"? I remember some past controversies there, like perhaps they had surgery but chose not to play despite being fit by the time the games/WC rolled around? (Someone refresh my memory on the history)

Simmons HAS played for the Boomers before. He even trained with them as recently as 2 years ago. He WOULD be our best player- and would help immensely especially on the offensive end with this particular group.

He was no doubt in a bad mental space after this year's playoffs.

I get all the hate, but you've gotta take a softly softly approach with these things and hope Ben matures, and hope he develops more commitment to the Boomers.

I'm certain Goorjian would be hoping he returns, and definitely wouldn't give Simmons the "bugger off- you burned bridges" nonsense being spouted by some posters around here.

Reply #866762 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[He WOULD be our best player]

To clarify. most talented player is what I mean. Patty would probably remain the best actual player on the Boomers- FIBA Patty is a super star

But Ben Simmons would help immensely at both ends, especially with his ability to get to the hoop. He'd help the offense in the half court- surround him with shooters like Mills, Landale, Ingles and Goulding and those periods of stagnant offense that we saw in stretches would be less of an issue for sure.

Reply #866763 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Bogut and Longley didn't throw tantrums and demand coaches be hired/fired before they'd play, then decide not to play anyway.

Reply #866765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any proof of that Kobe or nah

Reply #866768 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think if Ben does put his hand up, they'd take him. It's not something you'd want to rely on but the moment he does actually wear the colours most people are going to give him the benefit of the doubt.

But projecting ahead I wouldn't assume him on the team. But if he did make himself available, it instantly elevates us into that gold medal game level team. Not saying we'd necessarily win gold, but we'd be a favourite to make the game provided he has the right pieces around him. It would be like putting Luka Doncic on the current Boomers but add big men like Humphries etc to the mix. It would be an absolute problem make no mistake.

I'd tip Mills and Ingles to have another go around. 37 is "old" but Spain has done it before, and if both are healthy and playing chances are they go again I believe. I think with Baynes injuries and Delly's decline they're both done now. Thon Maker, Humphries, Kay, Landale and these types of guys will have to fill the Baynes hole and have proven they can to some extent, with Humphries being the 'big banger' equivalent.

Either way, future is extremely bright for the team.

Reply #866770 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Broekhoff? If he can regain form and overcome his issues, could fill that sniper role off the bench occupied by Goulding. NBA career 40% shooter.

He will be almost 34 by the time Paris rolls around, but still two years younger than CG.

Reply #866772 | Report this post

FSTOS  
Years ago

We have had an unbroken lineage of go to guys I would think.Volume scorers and great shooters at Fiba level. Palubinskas, Davies, Gaze, Heal, Mills.

I just don't see the next one? Not saying we can't win in other ways as a large part of that list didn't contribute a lot at the other end.

Reply #866773 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

The best team should be picked. If Simmons is in form, commits to the team and being the best teammate then we should welcome him in.

If Patty and all the other players seem not to hold it against him, then let's not allow pettiness to undercut the chase for gold.

Reply #866777 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Playmaking we should be good with Simmons, Giddey and Mills. The wings look ok too with Dante, Thybulle, Green, old man Joe.

We need knockdown shooters and some defensive and rebounding depth in the front court. Having Baynes go down meant we literally missed having a banger down low.

Missed having Bogut anchor the middle with his rim protection, screening and rebounding. He gave us some size to compete and also added another dimension with his post passing.

Bogues was a generational talent, not sure yet who could fill that hole.

Reply #866786 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

We might have a team that's worthy of a silver medal (or even challenging for gold) against the US, but wasn’t this year a case of FIBA drawing out marbles which put us in the wrong pool so that we needed to beat US in the semifinals? We COULD have beaten all the teams on the other side of the draw and made the gold medal match.

Just saying that whether we get silver or bronze may still come down to the luck of the FIBA draw rather than the quality of the players and coaching.

Reply #866787 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

The World Cup is what matters. Remember, the World Cup is our qualification for the Olympics. When nations like Lithuania and Serbia fail to qualify in the pre-Olympic qualification tournament, you know it's challenge to make it through that way. Unless the system has changed, we have it easier than Euro nations, just needing to finish higher than New Zealand. So I suppose we need to be wary of the strength of NZ basketball.

I would expect Broekhoff to regain form and come back in the team. His shooting last season actually wasn't that bad, but it was a statistical anomaly for him. He has automatic shooting potential.

Chemistry within the playing group is important, so I would also expect players who want to play in 2024 must make themselves available for 2023 too. I wouldn't be holding my breath for Simmons to make that sort of commitment if he keeps Klutch management. Simmons should no longer have a say over his role on the team. If he wants to represent Australia, he must accept whoever is coach, assistant coaches, and whatever role they ask him to play. So even if that's a full-time small-ball 5-man, so be it, he has to commit to it. No Bolden-esque conditional commitments.

The more I think about it, the more I think Giddey's selection should've been made. Giving him more experience playing with our second unit players like Exum, Green, Thybulle that are the future of this team.

We need Mills to stay in the team as an explosive scorer. I share concerns for where our scoring will come from without Mills. He carried this team to bronze at the offensive end.

Reply #866788 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

For Paris assuming a full team at our disposal no injuries or withdrawals - do we have Ingles still playing? Do we have Mills still playing?

Scoring/shooting will be our issue.

I'd lik to see matisse come off the bench but play starter minutes.

C Landale/Humphries/Reath
F Simmons/Kay
F Ingles (or Cooks)/Thybulle
G Exum/Green/Vasiljevic
G Giddey/Mills

Hopefully Giddey becomes a happy shooter - can’t really have defence lagging off him AND Simmons. You’d almost give them both 25mins per game and just overlap for 5mins.

I’d include Reath for extra height and athleticism against African sides; Vasiljevic as probably the best shooter available.

If Ingles plays keep him, if he’s too old Cooks would be an obvious replacement right?

Reply #866789 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If Mills is too old, replace with Dyson Daniels

Reply #866790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Did Bogut and Longley always miss the team due to "injuries"?"

Off the top of my head Longley played in 4 major tournaments and Bogut 5. That's not really always missing.

Reply #866791 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Nah I wasn't implying they always missed

I meant they missed some tournaments, and my (vague) recollection was that they didn't always miss because they were injured at that time

I was hoping some here would have a better memory

The bigger point was that commitment goes on a continuum, and for some players can increase or decrease- so let's not assume Simmons is done forever simply because he's missed 3 major tournaments in a row.

He's only 24 or 25 and had a particularly rough playoff series which due to COVID was on the eve of the Olympics.

It may be that he has zero commitment or whatever, I'm simply saying let's not jump to conclusions.

Reply #866795 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

When can only lament the missed opportunity of the 'Boomers in Paris' thread title.

Nonetheless, we are projecting to have a nice line-up, all going well.

Maybe a squad looking like:

Giddey
Exum
Mills
Cotton
Daniels
Green
Thybulle
King
Travers
Ingles
J White
Simmons
Cooks
Kay
T Maker
M Maker
S Froling
Landale
Reath
Humphries
Mathiang

A lot of weapons if it all comes together. Simmons unlocks our gold medal chances. I expect Mills to be there, in a complementary role. Jingles could go either way - a retirement to spend time with his young family, or carry on for a fifth campaign and another medal. He fits the mould of the cagey veterans that we often see in the Euro teams.

Possible final roster:

Giddey/Exum
Green/Mills/Daniels
Thybulle/Ingles
Simmons/Kay
Landale/Humphries/Reath

Reply #866796 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

I wouldn't rule out anyone from this team making it again in 2023 & 2024 bit I think it's very unlikely Delly and Baynes will be there. The thing that may work for Baynes is very few genuine bigs with great international experience so he might get a gig as the 5th big.

Patty and Ingles will be there if they wanna be. Ingles will be 35 around the time of the world's, but he's never been a guy who relies on speed or hops. He may end up playing a small ball 4 and his leadership will be too good to pass on.

After that it's wide open. Expect giddey to be in there with him, Thybulle, Green, Exum, Landale and Kay being the core guys with the two vet leaders.

Agreed with some posts above. Team should move forward with the understanding Simmons isn't an option until he is. The team should be built the way it has been using the strengths of the committed guys. If he plays there'll be a role for him for sure.

Reply #866797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thybulle has been quoted Simmons will be there is Paris 24. It was unlucky his playoff stuff blew up. Before next season he'll be at new team. Hopefully Warriors as Kerr will be good for him coming out of Spurs system.

Reply #866799 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

And Kerr would be supportive of national team representation.

Reply #866804 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Until Humphries or Mathing or anyone else new have proven consistently up to international level, such as in the Asian Cup, I wouldn't assume they are locks for Paris

Reply #866814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie- Humphries would have been a lock for Tokyo if it wasn't for his foot. He had a better NBL season than Landale. Before, he was considered a MVP candidate.

Reply #866817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You don't pick Simmons

Reply #866831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Exum - Giddey
Mills - Daniels - ?(several options)
Thybulle - Green
Simmons - Kay
Landale - Humphries - ?(several options)

Reply #866851 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Anon 817

I have a lot of respect for Humphries in the NBL. I would be very happy for him to play for the Boomers in Paris, but only after he's proven that he can handle a standard and speed higher than NBL. We’ve seen enough players who excel in the NBL but who struggle in WC or Olympic teams.

In terms of having someone his size in the Boomers, Bogut was special; who’s to say that a player with Bogut’s size but lacking his experience would even suit this Boomers team?

Reply #866852 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I know it wasn't much but Humphries had a cup of coffee in the NBA. Usually when a guy does that it suggests that, while he doesnt have to be the greatest player on earth, his attributes 'should' translate internationally. Another example might be Mitch Creek, who was a decent role player in 2019. A lot of G League experience as well. Once again, doesn't mean heaps. But should mean he'd be used to the kind of style and pace some of the bigs internationally will play with.

Reply #866855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep Goulding

Reply #866875 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God forbid Canada decide to properly suit up

Reply #866876 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Mhm yeah Canada could be a major medal contender in 2024.

Reply #866882 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"God forbid Canada decide to properly suit up"

They properly suited up in the qualifiers and lost to the Czech Republic...

Reply #866884 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

USA, France, Serbia, Spain, Canada, Italy, Australia, Greece, Lithuania, dm republic, Croatia, Slovenia, germany and Nigeria with everyone available are strong.

Reply #866885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, by properly suit up do you mean them having no Murray, Olynyk, Brooks, Clarke, Duarte, Boucher, Thompson or Brissett?

Reply #866894 | Report this post

JT  
Years ago

Canada has the names on paper, but never put it together. They are firmly in the 'believe it when I see it' category.

Reply #866895 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Murray-SGA-Joseph-Mulder-Bunton
Barrett-Dort-AlexanderWalker-Duarte-Darling-Lawson-Primo
Wiggins-Brooks-Brissett-Omoruyi
Boucher-Powell-Kabengele-Lyles-Clarke
Olynyk-Thompson-Birch

Reply #866896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so over seeing Daniels and Proctor listed in 23/24 teams. Daniels is in about the same place now that RJ Hampton was before his NS season. Green will be 23 in Paris, Giddey will be 21. We don't need young guys just for the sake of it in that squad. Daniels is a long shot, 12th-man candidate. How much did Mojave King struggle with the step up to the NBL? Daniels has played 1 senior game against a New Zealand E team. Let's see what he does in the G-league and, hopefully, the NBA, before anointing him. Proctor is even less realistic.

I agree with JT's squad upthread as a probable best-case scenario for us, but with a Goulding, Vasiljevic type in Daniels' spot. With the length in the rest of the roster we could afford the smaller guy. Although, with the ball-handling in the rest of the roster, we could also take another big instead, and use Simmons as the extra in the guard rotation. A Cooks, Creek athletic enough for the three, strong enough for the 4 type. Travers is a candidate to grow into that sort of role.

Reply #866897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol^

Reply #866901 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Once Mills is done, it's going to interesting to see how our game plan changes not having someone with the same scoring calibre coming through. Most of our young guns are jack of all trades, masters of none so I see a much more team orientated game plan as oppose to let Patty shoot till he catches fire. I know that's simplifying it, but that's how it feels some times. There might be a few lean years while we adjust to life without Patty and Joe, we seem to have transitioned well enough from Delly, Bogut and Baynes though so that's a good sign.

Reply #866903 | Report this post

Dane Suttle  
Years ago

LV, pretty sure Bogut missed due to BA not being able to provide adequate insurance to secure his release from whatever NBA team he was on.

Reply #866905 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"ME, by properly suit up do you mean them having no Murray, Olynyk, Brooks, Clarke, Duarte, Boucher, Thompson or Brissett?"

Everyone always will have players miss out, always. No one ever brings out every single quality player they have. They brought a team stacked with athleticism and NBA talent and they failed to get the job done. If you have some of these guys you listed, some of the others probably dont show and we'll be here talking about that.

They brought a side that was around their best and they lost to Czech Republic. No one in the world is without a bunch of omissions.

Reply #866907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ME, I'm assuming you don’t watch nba at all because if you did, then you’d know that if they simply added Murray by himself (as in out of the players just listed) would make Canada a medal contender. Let alone the likes of Olynyk, Thompson, Clarke and Brooks, then with those lot too they’d be 2nd only to the yanks.

I understand your point as there’s always outs, injuries etc however by no means did Canada even have close to their ideal team. It’s not like us where we have no Simmons and arguably Broekhoff and Humphries, they had nearly an entire Olympic team that didn’t make themselves available.

It’s like the yanks in 2019 in that yes they should’ve done better, but by no means were they properly suited up.

So yes god forbid they ever properly suit up.

Reply #866941 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can Australia have both Mojave King and Thybulle next Olympics?

Reply #866954 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

I know USA can usually throw anyone out there to contend for a medal, but would be cool if they got this group to stick together going forward with the odd change here and there as players get older. KD leading this group obviously worked well with lots of players taking on the roles required. Good place to build their national team into a culture.

Reply #866956 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

"we seem to have transitioned well enough from Delly, Bogut and Baynes though so that's a good sign."

It's promising to think the team achieved bronze basically without these 3. Obviously Mills was magnificent and Ingles brought it in the bronze game, but still shows we might have some of the building blocks for a smooth transition without the NBA core while maintaining continued success.

Reply #867026 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

* the NBA core, meaning the NBA core over the last few campaigns.

Reply #867027 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:56 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754