Curtley
Years ago

Liu Chuanxing - NBL interest

NBL news is reporting this guy has interest from multiple NBL teams due to CBA contract expiring. He is 21 and 7ft 5 as well as a CBA all star.

Very raw from videos but at least not a bean pole. Would be great to see him at Sydney.

Topic #49095 | Report this topic

Rain Man  
Years ago

He's 24 and he’s averaging 9 and 8. Hardly worth the look.

Reply #866938 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I watched a video on YouTube and he consistently misses shots from a foot out, admittedly under pressure, but still it's a lot of buckets to miss. It's quite incredible.

Reply #866942 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd say it would be a signing to generate interest more than anything else. I mean the guy is 7'5, which comfortably makes him the biggest player the league has ever seen and casual fans will take interest in someone that big. As for what he can do on the court, his mobility is questionable. He looks like he has a reasonable mid-range shot but doesn't have anything that look like post moves. His size alone makes him an interior deterrent but I don't see much footage of him blocking shots. I think his outlook in the NBL would be something like where Nate Jawai is today - a unique frame that has an upside in limited minutes that you can throw in to change the look of a game, but not really the staple of your team. it will depend how much that is worth to NBL teams because he would make a bag in China, and I think the novelty factor here would wear off once everyone's had a look at him.

Reply #866944 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

He averaged 17.5p, 13.0r and 2.5b shooting 64% from the field in the playoffs so clearly he can play and at 7'4" would be the tallest player in NBL history, the freak factor alone would be a draw card for fans.

Reply #866945 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another marketing gimmick signing like kai sotto. Both will struggle to get playing time.

Reply #866946 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Through core strength training and diet control, Liu Chuanxing's weight was reduced from 320 kg to 260 kg."

What??

Reply #866947 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Would also qualify as a SRP and not take up a roster spot.

Reply #866948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SRP do take up a spot, it's that their salary doesn’t count towards the cap

Reply #866949 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

Would have to presume that's meant to be pounds (320 to 260). 260 lbs being around 118kg.

Reply #866951 | Report this post

Perth fan.  
Years ago

* my bad was meant to say doesn't take up an import spot.

Reply #866952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Americans looking down on the rest of the world
Australians looking down on anyone from Asia

Maybe give the guy a chance first?

Baba was great for United.
Sotto is a late round nba draft pick

Get use to it ffs

Reply #866958 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

From what I've seen of him, he doesnt really pass the eye test. Third big off the bench to play garbage minutes, maybe. Very clumsy, slow and robotic. I think given the pace of NBL basketball he'd probably struggle to make any impact. I've amended my view to this now that I've watched more of him. I mean there's footage of him missing multiple perfectly open sitters and then fumbling the ball out of bounds. You dont pay a 7 footer to do that. He might average okay numbers in the CBA but I don't see those numbers translating. Plus an NBL team wont be getting him cheap. On court there is very little upside, if any. If he were younger you'd say he could develop but I think it's past that stage now.

Reply #866959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think he'll be ok tbh

Reply #866960 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

Just watched the YouTube link. No,no no.

Reply #866961 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Anonymous, I don't think people are looking down on him because he's Asian. I think we're looking at the footage of him and saying the dude needs a lot of work and he's probably a bit too old to really even do it.

Interestingly though his mid-range shot is better than everything he does up close. Has a nice touch from 8-15 feet but closer to that it's like he gets his body out of position and throws up garbage

Reply #866962 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's an Asian import that doesn’t count to roster. See how he develops...

If you look at him in 2020 and last months games, he does look more mobile.

Reply #866963 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I'd go out on a limb and say Adelaide will get more out of Kai Sotto than anyone will get from this Lui kid.

Reply #866964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry Sotto is not at all an NBA prospect. If he was a genuine prospect he would of signed to the NBL as a next star. Please show me a credible mock draft where sotto is a 2nd round draft pick.

Reply #866965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cmon man. Anyone out of the top 5 usually in the draft moves around the draft. The closer you get to the draft , the more accurate.

Reply #866966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey was 48-70 before Adelaide

Reply #866967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Giddey was still deemed eligible to be a Next Star. Kai Sotto is a marketing gimmick Asian development player.

Reply #866968 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sotto is 50-90 before Adelaide.
It's possible he coukd go 50-60.

Reply #866969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's no gimmick, everyone benefits.

Reply #866970 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I think this will all come to nothing anyway. I think even if he could 'maybe' fill a role on an NBL team, I think his asking price will be too high for what he will provide. If he wants to come here and take Kevin White or Brendan Teys money then give him a shot. But I wouldn't pay a guy like that like I would an import with a proven track record. Sure he'd be a big story for a bit, then people will lose interest when it turns out he's not that great a player.

Reply #866972 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

Even the NBA signs gimmick players occasionally, think Yuta Tabuse and Satnam Singh. If he's good enough to play 10 mins a game and a rich team uses him to draw interest without compromising their winning % then it's a win for everyone.

Reply #866980 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Would definitely be a gimmick player. Not saying that is a bad thing, but if you look at the "highlights" Isaac posted, it's easy to see he doesn't have a place in the NBL if you were after someone who can contribute.

Reply #866992 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

I think Liu is too raw right now for the NBL, I am not Australian so I follow Asian basketball pretty well. Even if he was part of the OQT roster in Victoria, he hardly played at all. I think he was even a DNP against Canada. He also only played I think a minute or two against Greece.

I don't get the hate for Sotto btw, sure he is not a next star signing but he was pretty decent in the Asia Cup Qualifiers and the OQT.

Reply #866995 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Adelaide have signed up Sotto on a Multi Million dollar deal.

https://www.news.com.au/national/sou...29970f7f4bce02

That is would be double what lamelo and RJ were paid as next stars.

If true, does this make Kai Sotto the highest paid NBL player of all time?

Reply #867002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

https://www.news.com.au/national/south-australia/rising-star-72-filipino-basketballer-kai-sotto-has-signed-a-multimillion-dollar-deal-with-adelaide-36ers/video/468c1a7d65794b635f29970f7f4bce02

Reply #867003 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

^ Probably a typo, I never heard of any ADP contract being worth more than any next star/import contract. There is also no statement being made by Adelaide themselves that they are paying that kind of money. Sotto is obviously making a lot of money from sponsorships, commercials in the Philippines but the NBL contract itself is highly unlikely to be worth that much.

Reply #867006 | Report this post

Nachos95  
Years ago

Not a bad a signing if any NBL teams can grab him. Lucky Chinese players are under Special Restricted Player (SRP).

Reply #867009 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Reply #867010 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Keeps glitching this website. I have a feeling Perth Wildcats will sign him!

Don't they need a back up center?

Reply #867011 | Report this post

Nachos95  
Years ago

Perth have Majok as their center?

Unsure who will sign him. Can't be Melbourne United, aren’t they looking into an import forward.

Reply #867013 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Maybe Sydney Kings, but they have Jordan Hunter plus Jarell Martin. Surely not Cairns or Phoenix have the budget or need him?

Reply #867015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I can see the Sydney Kings signing Liu to a similar multi million dollar deal that the 36ers are paying Sotto. Asian development players are a hot commodity in the NBL.

Reply #867029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sotto thing is a misunderstanding by the headline writer.
It's a multi-year deal, not multi-million dollar.

Reply #867032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe it's true Johnson will be reduced to a bench role. If they are paying sotto 2 million for 3 years I guess he ain't coming off the bench.

Reply #867036 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

I think Anon #832 is correct.

The headlines are not written by the same person as article. The article says multi year deal and I think whoever wrote the headline got it a bit wrong. When Sotto first signed the club suggested he is a bit of a young project player

Reply #867054 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

So.....obviously JJ's?

Reply #867060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

aussiehoopla have Perth wildcats and the Brisbane bullets after Liu

Reply #867062 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

^ If he ever gets signed, then I wish him the best. Hopefully he will be decent. It would be great for China's National team if he can further develop in the NBL. The more he develops, the more he can contribute for China.  

Reply #867068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

More like Sotto on a multi million Peso deal.

Reply #867071 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Serious question but let's say that Perth sign him and he actually helps the team with his intimidation factor... what's the chance that with all the travel that they do in economy that his game is impacted as much by that as scouting him does?

Reply #867084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane only try and sign him if he's super cheap. They’re not paying any reasonable amount of money for him, nor anyone else.

Reply #867098 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Next Star?

Generally speaking, YouTube videos highlight the best of a player's performance.

Reply #867378 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:24 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754