Anonymous
Years ago

Positive COVID test for Sydney Kings player

The Sydney Kings have advised the NBL one of its players have tested positive. Not the ideal pre-season revelation

Topic #49202 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Horrible news. January start if we are lucky.

Reply #870593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Season is ages away. This shouldn't change the start date.

Reply #870594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney, Wollongong are basket cases, Melbourne catching up, don't believe the bull shit that bin chicken spews every day. It’s either starting in a hub or four sides from Sydney and Melbourne are not in it.

Reply #870595 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Run a hub out of Perth plus every club gets to experience being the designated home team with Arena home cooking.

Reply #870597 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#595 it's called relocation until at least 80%

Reply #870598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Until 80% is a myth. How do people still believe Scomo and Gladys!?

Reply #870600 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#600 learn to read, "at least" 80%

Reply #870605 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

80% of Australia is not till next year till the earliest, state premiers are not opening till it's safe. Hub is the answer, pick a spot, Perth or Gold Coast for me.

Reply #870607 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There will be no hub with WA, SA, Tas and QLD effectively open.

Reply #870609 | Report this post

4real  
Years ago

When will it be 'safe'. Gonna have to learn to live with it.

Reply #870610 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks to those two maybe never. But to suggest WA for example should just open their borders and live with it is unrealistic too. Border protections and lockdowns are something we will have to live with. Each state will have to live with restrictions of varying levels. National sports are irrelevant to Premiers doing Scomos job for him to protect the people.

Reply #870612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And in the meantime just torpedo the economy just so state premiers can save their own political bacon but blaming other states or fed government. Having COVID zero is just unrealistic at this point

Reply #870615 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

People need to get vaxed, it's a simple as that. Wishful thinking that WA/SA/QLD/et al will remain covid free - there's no place in the world that will. Premiers in other states should be doing what the NSW/Vic Premiers failed to do, which is get the vax numbers rising without cases running rampant in the state.

Reply #870617 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#615 torpedo the economy? WA with the strictest borders just announced a $5.6b surplus in their budget. The locals have next to zero restrictions on their movement and business in WA.

The only ones who have destroyed the economy are Scomo for his failed quaratine system (or any system at all) and NSW Libs for putting business before people, which in turn put both in the can.

COVID zero on an Island like Australia is not unrealisitic. Just means locking out NSW and now Vic. Easy.

Reply #870618 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

WA must be smoking alot of weed if they think they are going to be able to control it once the international borders open.

Reply #870619 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"COVID zero on an Island like Australia is not unrealisitic. Just means locking out NSW and now Vic. Easy."

And, you know, everywhere else on the planet for the foreseeable future. Good plan.

Reply #870620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WA and Queensland will open when they are ready, that's when scomo gets the vaccine to them instead of Sydney. McGowern already said probably March, April next year, after vacs rates at 80% and covid in control in the community.

Reply #870621 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

I think the NBL season will start as scheduled. The worst case scenario would be a bubble setup if the situation is too bad, but for me, the games would still be home and away without crowds.

The NBA last year started in December and their vaccination roll out at that time was just starting. I am not an Australian, so I don't know the situation like you guys in there, but looking at your numbers, 31.5 % of the population is vaccinated. As long as the protocols are in place, it is going to start, unless your government will not allow you to.

The B league 2020-2021 season started last year in November, despite the fact that vaccines were not available. They had a home and away format, and some games even had crowds. 20 Division 1 teams and 16 Division 2 teams had a full season with each team playing more than 50 games.

https://www.bleague.jp/standings/?tab=2&year=2020

Reply #870622 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

At this stage, one player or even half the team getting covid will not change things.

Barring any underlying health issues these fit young men should all recover well before the season starts.

Melbourne United got it last season and the won the title so this is a good omen.

The big issue is NSW, VIC and NZ. Well done to QLD for dodging the bullet. ACT is just barely holding on.

Even if 80% is hit, NZ can forget about travelling to and from Australia.

NSW and VIC can 'stop looking' at the daily infections and those in the community all they want, the other states won't.

Reply #870623 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's G league and it was played in a bubble over a few months.

Reply #870625 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The NBA last year started in December and their vaccination roll out at that time was just starting.
The US has never given a shit about COVID, though. They were having more deaths per day than Australia has had total cases.

It's G league and it was played in a bubble over a few months.
I like how you felt the need to make this "correction" even though Stevy provided a link to their website.

Reply #870627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who the Sydney player

Reply #870628 | Report this post

Sixers  
Years ago

"The only ones who have destroyed the economy are Scomo for his failed quaratine system (or any system at all) and NSW Libs for putting business before people, which in turn put both in the can."

Why did you blatantly forget to put Dan Andrews (Labor) in? Even he apologised for the shit job he did.

Reply #870634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Considering nsw spread it to Victoria both the times that it's taken off, truck drivers and ruby princess, I’d say dan has an excuse even though he hasn’t been great. Nsw premier just didn’t care and let it rip.

Reply #870638 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australians can't even move freely in a country they are citizens of, all down to some imaginary lines drawn moons ago, great fun in cross border communities as well. I’m glad the hermit kingdom of WA is fine with this. It’s like having one all-star on a crappy team. The illusion of COVID-zero and the relative low numbers have given people false expectations when everywhere else in the world has proven it’s not sustainable measures short of going full North Korea.

Reply #870639 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

A few United players got it last year and they won the league. Kings confirmed NBL champions for 2022

Reply #870642 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

90% average of All Australians double vaxxed is 7 Dec 21

some states are obviously WAY behind this figure

but that is the AVERAGE

NSW - 15 Nov
VIC- 23 Dec
QLD- 24 Dec
WA- 23 Dec
SA - 23 Dec
TAS - 7 Dec
ACT - 9 Nov
NT- 16 Dec

averages above on current 7 day trend for vaccinations

this far out from the season i dont see it being an issue

Reply #870650 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Most of Melbourne United's team caught covid last year.

A player testing positive makes no difference to the league or start dates.

It is interesting that NSW/VIC are now in a "covid management" phase while the other states are clinging to covid zero.

McGowan, Paluscuk etc have staked their political brands on keeping their states Covid free. But eventually, they'll realise that's no longer tenable.

Whenever international travel opens up, will be when the remaining states lose their idealism. Their citizens will start demanding international travel too. And the politicians will realise Victorians etc are spending their covid savings on overseas holidays instead of QLD, Tassie etc.

It's inevitable that all of Australia gets into a covid management phase. Hard to say exactly how long that takes though.

Reply #870656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"90% average of All Australians double vaxxed is 7 Dec 21"

Should be 90% of all Australians aged 16 and above. That works out to 72% of all Australians.

Agree it's unlikely to delay start to the NBL season, beyond current plans for Nov 18 start. May affect distributions of home and away games for early part of season, if some states decide to keep borders closed until their jurisdiction reaches their target coverage.

Might be more of an issue when players contract COVID during the season. Probably be a few games with injury replacements due to this. Depends on what restrictions will remain in place alongside 'opening up'.

Reply #870658 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Players are being told already that the season is likely to be delayed. Some still can't get into Australia.

Reply #870666 | Report this post

Run the hub out of the best state in the country. You know the saying. Two heads are better than one.

Reply #870669 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Whenever international travel opens up, will be when the remaining states lose their idealism. Their citizens will start demanding international travel too. And the politicians will realise Victorians etc are spending their covid savings on overseas holidays instead of QLD, Tassie etc.
Though other states will at that same point not have endured significant lockdowns and have a reasonable percentage of the population vaccinated?

If the international travel pickup is slow (lag due to prices and airlines gradually spinning up capacity), that won't hurt either. Less worried about international travel, and state borders for general spread.

I think calling it "idealism" is jealousy. It's seemed like a pretty reasonable plan to me, taking advantage of relative isolation for WA, SA, Tas, etc. SA has had what, maybe under 10 days of lockdown total. There have been stricter conditions on particular industries, but the hit to the general population hasn't been as hard.

There will inevitably be cases as borders are relaxed, but hopefully the spread is less dramatic. We'll see.

Reply #870670 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

It was a reasonable plan.

But it will absolutely become idealistic and unhelpful - if they try to maintain it longer than necessary after significant people are vaccinated. Which based on some recent comments, is a strong possibility.

Reply #870678 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Likely, I should say. Not just a possibility.

Australia is now split into 2, or 8, depending how you slice it. Not much of a unified Federation. If McGowan et al ignore the plan agreed by National Cabinet the whole situation will be messy. And who knows what it might mean for the NBL season.

Reply #870687 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They are not going to ignore it, it's just still a long way from happening. It’ll be December before state are at 80%. Why would the eight states open up for the sake of it as they have normal lives, not like nsw, Canberra or Victoria. Thanks to Gladys.

Reply #870688 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV, still not understanding why I should view that negatively if I'm from one of those other states. For the period in the books, it's proven a decent path. You're pre-judging a future scenario as though there's some plan set in stone.

I barely follow all of this but last I paid attention, the PM wanted the concrete plan (based on vax percentages) in the interest of his political future while other states were suggesting that locking in a strategy in the face of a changing playing field didn't make sense. I'd favour the flexible side, and doubly so when the PM has botched everything coming his way (on a platter, no less).

They could maintain status quo in SA for another year and I wouldn't be overly perturbed, though I'm sure it's rougher for some industries.

Reply #870710 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Well eventually Covid will come in to South Australia, in large numbers. It's just a matter of when.

Are you happy taking a brand new, not-yet-fully-approved vaccine to reduce your chances of catching and spreading a virus, yet not even be afforded the opportunity to travel freely around Australia?

If they wait a year as you've suggested, people will be having their 4th covid vaccine by then. For what purpose? If there's no covid cos your government's intent on wrapping you in cotton wool, hurting your tourist economy in the process, why would you bother with the vaccine?

Reply #870716 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If South Australia et al are silly enough to continue a commitment to zero covid well into next year, it'll just result in the continuation of the pre-pandemic tide of people flowing from SA into Victoria. People won't want to live in a place where they can't freely travel.

Reply #870720 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Here's an example of what I'm referring to Isaac

[https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/sep/02/childrens-risk-from-covid-is-low-australian-health-chief-says-after-queensland-premier-raises-concerns

"Unless there is an answer on how these young people are going to be vaccinated you are putting this most vulnerable population at risk," Palaszczuk said on Thursday. “You open up this state and you let the virus in here and every child under 12 is vulnerable, every single child.”

The premier pledged to “stand strong” on Queensland's border controls “until I can get every child vaccinated”.]

This is not "idealism" it's really just b*tsh*t crazy.

Does this woman not realise that RSV is just as much of a threat to children than Covid (RSV is the opposite of covid- it severely affects children but less impact on adults). The RCH was full of RSV patients in Feb/March this year, but it barely rated a mention in the media.

Firstly, many parents won't want their under 12s being vaxxed (I certainly won't- even though I've been vaxxed myself). Secondly, covid is a very low risk to that age group. Yes, they can contribute to transmission, but with no vaccine even approved, why would you even be talking about vaxxing them before opening up state borders? It's beyond ludicrous.

Reply #870721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

why would a state with zero covid, just throw open their borders when the 70% vax figure is reached? Those states for the most part are carrying on their daily lives, their economies are growing.

Why not sit back for a few months and watch the carnage happen in Vic and NSW happen first and then make some decisions. Carnage there will be. NSW will probably have 5000 to 10000 cases per day for sometime once they open. 10% will be in hospital and 1-2 % will die. So expect approx 5000 people to die a month in NSW for a few months.

This all assumes that another variant such as Mu doesnt come along. If a more deadly strain does come along then everyone will be saying why did we let it in, why did we let covid rip.

If the Delta variant hadnt appeared than all the planning would have been better. However there has basically been two global pandemics back to back Covid 1 and Covid Delta.

Reply #870722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have no idea LV, just talking crap. Those states are open, not like NSW, Victoria or Canberra, they are as whole living normally. Why would they open up to let the virus in until they were 80% vaccinated from 12 year olds and above. Tasmania, SA are liberal governments and they certainly are not going to follow some half measures to make Morrison and Gladys happy. Morrison should be making sure they get the vaccines to the unaffected states six moths ago instead of now getting it NSW and fu.king all other states over that are doing great. Morrison is a total fool.

Reply #870723 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

5,000 people a month dying in NSW!?

It's not Ebola.

Reply #870726 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

" You have no idea LV, just talking crap."

Yea good luck getting through to Faux Dr LV, it's the Victorian stubbornness in him lol

“ The RCH was full of RSV patients in Feb/March this year, but it barely rated a mention in the media.”

What’s the statistics?

How many ended up in ventilators/death that are under retirement age?

Reply #870727 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

RSV is serious for those under 5

https://www.mja.com.au/journal/2019/210/10/respiratory-syncytial-virus-associated-hospitalisations-australia-2006-2015

60,000 kids under 5 hospitalised with RSV from 2006-2015 in Australia.

Reply #870740 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's the stats for 2016-2021

Reply #870741 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And RSV has been sweeping through Melbourne (Feb/March) and NZ (July) this year and I think other Australian states too. As kids immune systems and exposure were low due to all the covid lockdowns in 2020, the RSV that comes every year was delayed and instead caused a big hit in 2021.

But there was only a couple of articles here and there in the media about it.

Reply #870742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Israel population is about the same size as NSW.
Israel vax rate is higher than NSW target and it also had more people who have previously been exposed to covid. It is the GOLD STANDARD in vax countries.
Israel currently averaging about 1500 deaths per month in a much higher vaxxed population than NSW.
NSW is also decentralised which has advantages and disadvantages. Disadvantage being a country town or district hospitals may quickly get overwhelmed by a delta outbreak.

So lets see what happens when they let it rip.

Reply #870746 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Israel also vaxxed their population early this year.

Immunity was waning by the time Delta hit in August.

Israel's had 7,300 covid deaths TOTAL since March 2020, which shows how ludicrous it was to suggest NSW would have 5,000 a month. Even Sweden with zero lockdowns ever- population 10 million- had 14,700 deaths in 18 months.

Just admit it, you made a dumb comment!

Reply #870751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be careful throwing the " dumb comment “ LV, maybe you want to read some of the stuff you put on here.

Reply #870754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Population comparisons are dumb unless the density of that population is the same. Australia and its states are vastly different in density to the examples some of you google scientists try to make comparisons with.

Reply #870758 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

LV's on the crack-pipe again.

West Australians seldom visit the rest of Australia anyway, and only a complete fuckwit would want to visit Bali at this time.
And even if they did, morons can "demand" what they want, they're not going to get it.

WA won't relax it's borders whilst covid remains rampant. If that means our borders stay shut whilst other states go through their "it's ok for X% of the population to die" phase, then so be it.
And whilst states don't control "international travel" per se, they do control the airport and are able to restrict entry. Magoo has done it before, and he'll do it again.

Keep in mind that at the slightest hint of trouble, Magoo will close the borders and put us into lockdown. West Australians will respond with the predictable "fuck this shit, keep the borders closed" and so it will be.

Reply #870759 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Full house at Optus stadium in Perth tonight, I'm not certain Perth are ready to open up to make scumo and bin chicken happy.

Reply #870762 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So seriously this is the dumbest comment I have read on here for a very long time:

West Australians seldom visit the rest of Australia anyway

You sir with all due respect are a fu*#ing moron.

Reply #870767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV ignoring all evidence to suggest covid is coming to SA in big numbers.

No mate, Apart from NSW we're talking borders seriously. Vic was forced to make stupid decisions twice due to media pile on. WA Premier never been more opoular. Media won't turn on a Lib Premier in SA. Wld, they are used to the Media against them, LNP are just nutjobs tho.

Scomo and Gladys have split the country because they aren't leaders, they're puppets. This will continue as long as it needs to for the rest of the country to remain covid free. Which apart from the small outbreak due to humans being selfish, they will.

Reply #870768 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

So seriously this is the dumbest comment I have read on here for a very long time:

West Australians seldom visit the rest of Australia anyway

You sir with all due respect are a fu*#ing moron.

WA isolationism at its finest on display.

I for one miss the days of flying out of poor man's Australia every long weekend and holiday period.

Reply #870772 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[WA won't relax it's borders whilst covid remains rampant. If that means our borders stay shut whilst other states go through their "it's ok for X% of the population to die" phase, then so be it.]

[LV ignoring all evidence to suggest covid is coming to SA in big numbers.]

Above I kindly suggested the rest of Australia was being idealistic.

That was far too generous.

You guys just sound batsh*t crazy.

We're not talking about a feral pest, like a camel in the outback that you can shoot and kill. We're not talking about illegal immigrants arriving by boats, where you can patrol the borders and implement harsh policies (if you want) to ensure the boats stop.

We're talking about a highly contagious virus that's in the rest of the world and the two biggest states in Australia. One that's expected to continue mutating into different variants and vaccines will need to be created to keep up.

The pandemic will become endemic, but it's not going to just disappear.

Whether Covid comes to SA & WA in October 2021, Jan 2022 or April 2022, I don't know. But they can't keep the borders closed forever. And when they open, covid will come.

Reply #870773 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

and of course, as time progresses keeping it out will become increasingly difficult anyway.

Huge numbers of Victorians are just over lockdowns now, and ignoring the rules. We've had over 200 days in lockdown.

But with 1700 trucks a day coming in from NSW, it was always going to be a losing battle eventually.

The same will apply to SA- how many workers and truckies go from Vic to SA every day?

Maybe in 2024 once Adelaide's in their 37th lockdown, the fine people of South Australia will have had enough?

Reply #870774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you'll be shocked to know you don't know anything about the people of SA. Please never speak on our behalf. I'll take our 2-3 day lockdowns over NSW deaths any day. 18 months and we're doing just fine. With a Liberal Premier no less. Imagine how good Australia would be now without Scomo or Gladys. Enjoy your 300+days of lockdown while we go about our lives.

Reply #870775 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Lockdowns might not always work, if variants continue getting increasingly infectious.

But assuming they keep working, are you happy doing a 3 day lockdown once a month for the rest of your life, and never being able to travel outside your sh*tty little state without great difficulty ever again?

And happy consigning your state to forever being even more of a tourist and economic backwater than it already was?

Reply #870776 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Economic and *commercial* backwater is what I mean, given corporations won't want to set up shop, start offices in your city etc, under those conditions.

Reply #870777 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Imagine how good Australia would be now without Scomo or Gladys. ]

Written like a true partisan ideologue

Don't forget Dan Andrews and the Victorian ALP, responsible for the horrendous Hotel Quarantine bungles, leading to a 112 day lockdown, 800 lives lost, kids educations impacted, and billions of dollars down the drain.

Reply #870778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Lockdowns might not always work"

Lockdowns generally don't work. If initiated upon the first few cases in the community they can work, but once a virus has spread they achieve little.

They were not a part of pre-COVID pandemic plans, and last year the WHO disendorsed them except for shotr time periods to help prepare other responses.

Governments in NSW and VIC have ignored this and shown what was known around the world, this idea borrowed from China is not borrowed from scientific data.

Reply #870783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"WA and Queensland will open when they are ready"

From what I understand, the Federal Government controls their international borders. They will open when their borders are opened.

Reply #870785 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Moronic anon above. It's a simple fact. Traditionally West Australians are more likely to holiday within the state, or mostly overseas, rather than elsewhere in Australia. Obviously o/s is off the table, but the idea that there is some huge demand for interstate travel is nonsense.
Businesses are learning to live without it, and the biggest pent up demand is to reunite families. It sucks, I haven't seen two of my daughters for ages, but that doesn't mean the borders are coming down any time soon.
And yes, the irony is that the stupider NSW gets, the harder the border will become.

If the get their shit under control, then we'll return to a quarantine system.

Reply #870790 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Don't forget Dan Andrews and the Victorian ALP, responsible for the horrendous Hotel Quarantine bungles, leading to a 112 day lockdown, 800 lives lost, kids educations impacted, and billions of dollars down the drain.

Written like a true partisan ideologue

Reply #870793 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

We're not talking about illegal immigrants arriving by boats, where you can patrol the borders and implement harsh policies (if you want) to ensure the boats stop.

At risk of pulling this into a different political direction, as a matter of objective fact and as a matter of Australian law, undocumented immigration arriving by boats is not "illegal". Despite best efforts by some in the Liberal party to characterise as such.

You're confusing a nations capacity to say “no” to someone knocking at our door asking to come in, with “Illegal”. Illegal is someone overstaying a visa.

This is why matters of immigration fall under a concept called “habeas corpus”, and why we see class actions for what’s called “false imprisonment” where the Federal Government pays out substantial amounts of money in settlements owing to a failure to release people despite owing of duty of care.

Sincerely,
Idiot Lawyer

Reply #870795 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV

You really are 100% bought in. Wow how someone can be so blind. Vic Health Minister is gone due to the mistakes made. I don't see Hunt or Hazzard doing the same.

Quarantine is a Federal responsibility. Why is that on Andrews I wonder?

Aged care is a Federal responsibility. Why is that on Andrews too?

Mistakes have been made, but the differnce is Vic Labor have accepted that, even when it wasn't their responsibility by law, and learned from it.

LNP keep pretending they do everything right and shut down anyone who suggests otherwise.

As KET has pointed out twice there's only one partisan ideologue here. Standard right wing behaviour, accuse the other side of doing something they themselves are blatantly doing to deflect attention.

Reply #870796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#796 and KET, thank you, totally correct.

Reply #870797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#785 if that's what you understand you should look into it deeper. States will control how many flights land in their airports as long as Feds are leaving them to handle the quaratine/medi hotels. Still international arrival going into 2 week mandatory quaratine is very different to opening state borders.

Reply #870798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#790 I'm from WA and in my 50's. You sir a wrong.

Reply #870800 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Quarantine is a Federal responsibility. Why is that on Andrews I wonder?]

Because Andrews is a part of the National Cabinet, where it was agreed that Quarantine would be the best path forward. Yes, legislatively it's Commonwealth responsibility but all states agreed this was the best approach.

How would the Feds manage such a large program? Unless you want the Feds to send Federal police all over the country, and fly bureaucrats in from Canberra to every state simultaneously?

All states then implemented quarantine, and none of them stuffed up like Victoria.

I'm no right wing ideologue either. It's inexcusable that Hunt met with Pfizer in August after being approached in June, leaving Australia too far back in the vaccine queue. (As just one example of a valid criticism of a right wing polly).

I was merely commenting on the anon poster who mentioned Gladys and Scomo without acknowledging that it was abysmal incompetence from the Victorian government that led to the vast majority of Australian covid deaths to date, and easily the longest single lockdown.

Reply #870802 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

[Sincerely,
Idiot Lawyer]

None of that was the least bit relevant to my broader point. But, since you went in that direction, wouldn't it be more accurate to say that undocumented arrival isn't *necessarily* illegal?

The act itself of arriving by boat may not be illegal, but its certainly possible for someone for whom Australia is ultimately an illegal destination, to arrive by boat.

Which was actually my intended meaning.

Should've been clear, but you seemed intent on showing off your irrelevant legal knowledge, and missed the point in the process.

Reply #870803 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And fwiw I think Australia should be generally kinder to refugees. Leaving people on Manus for 5+ years was an absolute disgrace led by the Liberal Party. A disgrace which will have lasting effects on many people's entire lives.

I remember writing to my MP about that.

(Just since everyone seems so interested in my political opinions all of a sudden).

Reply #870804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The feds should have done what they were supposed to do, if that means sending workers all over the country, so be it. As usual Morrison passed all his responsibilities onto others, I don't hold the hose mate, not my job.

The states were to accomodating, probably because Morrison is such f..k up on everything he touches. Most state leaders have had a real go except for Gladys, and Morrison who don’t give a rats except for multinational companies.

Reply #870805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV there are federal employees all over the country already. The Federal Government isn't 100% all located in Canberra.

Your gaslighting is blatant and ridiculous.

It was agreed because the feds simply refused. If not for the Premiers we would have ended up like the US. None of them wanted to do it. No one thinks it's the best method. It's simply what the states had to do in a short time with limited resources because the Federal Government refuse to do their duty. Even now Qld are being forced to build and run a facility because 18 months later the Feds still refuse.

GG should remove them for that alone. No matter which party is in power.

Reply #870806 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I honestly believe an average group of year 9 students could do a better job of running Hotel Quarantine than the Victorian government and their managerie of bureaucrats.

Daniel Andrews was running daily covid press conferences, but when he fronted the inquiry he didn't have the faintest clue about some basic details of the front line operation meant to keep covid out of Victoria.

The only reason he survived 2020 is because people are so apathetic towards politics.

If any NFP or a corporation of equivalent size stuffed up something that important to its core business, the leader would be gone. Politics is just different because perception trumps reality more than it does for leaders in any other field.

Andrews might be the best *politician* I've ever seen. But he abrogated his responsibilities to the Victorian people last year. That's obvious.

Reply #870807 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Nonsense #806, what's becoming clearer by the day is the states do what they want.

You think if Gladys, Dan and McGowan had wanted to, they couldn't have jointly decided that The Feds were running Hotel Quarantine, and make that happen in National Cabinet meetings?

Reply #870808 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And anyway regardless of what was agreed, the point is Victoria took responsibility and did an abysmal job.

Reply #870809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV, as Gaze would say, OH MY, and I'm not being complementary.

Reply #870810 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV you need to get off the internet for a while. I bet you listen to Joe Rogan too.

Reply #870811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With that I'm done. Mum told me never to argue with stupid and that last post was the definition of stupid. Bye Felicia

Reply #870812 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

So this week the talk across Melbourne media (left and right wing media) has been that Victoria's hospital system might not cope with an influx of covid patients.

The ALP's been in power 18 of the last 22 years. After being health minister for 3 years then Premier for 7, and 18 months to prepare for the inevitable covid hit, I wonder what excuses Dan will have to explain this?

But you can be sure he'll explain it away, and his worshippers will buy it. He's that good, and his fans are that gullible.

Such is life in Victoria.

Reply #870813 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Joe Rogan? Nah. I most regularly read The Age. I'm a subscriber. My only news media subscription.

I guess that makes me a right wing ideologue lol.

Reply #870814 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

In my job I delegate things to people constantly. Things that are ultimately my responsibility.

Once they agree to do it, I expect them to do it well. So do they.

If they make inexcusable, basic mistakes, that's on them.

Reply #870815 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

But yes #811 you're right, I do spend too long on "the internet" and worrying about this stuff. Nothing I can control anyway.

Reply #870817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup just Vic hospitals. NSW hospitals are all running smooth. No issues. All the hospitals around the world are just fine. But Vic bloody Dan.

You sir are the problem. People like you. No wonder the Vic libs are a shambles.

Reply #870819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yup just Vic hospitals. NSW hospitals are all running smooth. No issues. All the hospitals around the world are just fine. But Vic bloody Dan.

You sir are the problem. People like you. No wonder the Vic libs are a shambles.

Reply #870820 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Quarantine is a Federal responsibility."

While this is a popular line on social media it is not correct. Quarantine is a joint state-federal responsibility.

Reply #870821 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

wouldn't it be more accurate to say that undocumented arrival isn't *necessarily* illegal?

No, because that would be wrong.

Maybe stick away from trying to argue something you don't understand?

Should've been clear, but you seemed intent on showing off your irrelevant legal knowledge, and missed the point in the process.

It’s clear that you’re wrong and I explained why you were wrong.

Just because your own feedback loop is defective doesn’t change the broader reality in life.

It’s so defective you made a criticism about partisanship and ideological behaviour in the same post as you go off on a partisan ideological rant.

That’s lacking self awareness that we all know and cop from LV.

It’s right up there with a good old LV lecture on shit you don’t understand all the while getting pissed off when people lecture you on things they know about.

Classic LV, what a reputation to have.

Reply #870822 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Leaving people on Manus for 5+ years was an absolute disgrace led by the Liberal Party. A disgrace which will have lasting effects on many people's entire lives.

Indeed - I was a plaintiff lawyer on the Manus Island class action. If you saw the pictures!

Reply #870824 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Wow, good on you KET!

Nicely done Sir.

Reply #870826 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

And didn't this thread take a few turns :-)

Reply #870827 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Those 'people' were lucky we took care of them. They should have been shipped back to where they came from upon arrival.

And they have the nerve to bitch about the conditions, all the while funded by Australian taxpayers.

Reply #870828 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Those 'people' ey.

Classy.

Reply #870829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woah Loverbroker not letting LV have the RWNJ title of hoops for the day. Flies in to take the role of Cray Cray

Reply #870830 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Revealing your true colours there LB. Most taxpayers would probably have preferred them to have been settled rather than imprisoned. Can think of a few folks I'd rather ship back to where these people came from than the refugees themselves, too.

Reply #870832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe organise a holiday in Afghanistan LB, I hear it's nice this time of year.

Reply #870835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of the handling of the situation by the states, the whole point is that states shouldn't have been in charge of this in the first place. It says outright in our constitution that quarantine is a federal responsibility but Morrison was actually smart enough to realise that if he passes on the responsibility to others whether that be the states or even hunt, then with the protection racket media for the libs he’ll be able to survive criticism for quite some time.

I honestly am surprised that people can’t see through his bullshit. For example, when it was announced how well WA did (believe it was in relation to the surplus) the first chance he got was to say how he funded the entire thing. When SA had their power fuck up, his government weren’t afraid to jump on them and go 'see renewables, you can’t trust them’ but when things turn around all of a sudden they’ll try and be all buddy buddy with the SA government (there’s a press conference in particular where the SA premier is grilling the government and frydenburg is standing right next to him really awkwardly). Then the bloke will say NSW is the gold standard with how they’ve handled it even though he’s given more help to them then any other state just about and will go on and on about how lockdown won’t work, until nsw shits itself because they waited way to long and then Morrison will go real quite about how great they are. Next up, he and the media try to paint the situation as liberals vs labor with nsw and vic, despite both tassie and sa being liberal states and doing what the other labor states did because it was the right thing to do.

Let’s not mention that with the hotel quarantine that andrews said he didn’t want to do as they wouldn’t have enough time to properly set a system to handle covid but Morrison made him do it anyways (even gave him a list of private contractors to handle it, just so when andrews picks, Morrison can then turn around and say ‘well why didn’t you use the afp’, even though the afp said they didn’t want to help when andrews asked). Along with everyone knew hotels can’t handle covid there needs to be a proper facility like the nt has had to handle it, but he pushed through anyway thus leading to further shit show, and to top that point off the bloke had a report since June or July last year saying they need to abandon hotel quarantine and get proper facilities but didn’t do anything about it till he finally got some media backlash.

If you want further evidence of this muppet of a government they wanted McGowan to originally have the ruby princess, but he says no, then they make nsw do it and that leads to the first wave for everyone. Plus, the QLD premier admitting that behaviour from the Morrison government was the worst treatment she’s every received from anyone. And finally how they managed to piss of pfizer and at other points try to blame the eu when it their muppet of a government all along that fucked it.

Keep in mind he has people in in his coalition that have actively pushed lies in regards to vaccinations but does nothing about it and not to mention the nursing home shit show.

And that lady and gents is just covid

P.S. virologists and epidemiologists have said that whilst lockdown isn’t pretty but it’s the best way to handle it and then the government needs to support people from there (which for this one is a lot considering robodebt) and deaths are also not the only thing we should be measuring this with as we still aren’t fully aware of the long term health effects. Think about someone like Rudy Gobert, an NBA player for god sake when he first got it was March last year, and stated about 4 months later he still couldn’t smell a thing. Plus there are perfectly healthy people with no underlying conditions still getting sick and dying, you can’t blame people despite the low death count for being nervous about this thing because there is so much that’s still unsure about it all in regards to medically.

Reply #870836 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

So meanwhile, & to get this thread back on track, who was the player? & has it spread to anyone else in the group?

Reply #870839 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They're never going to name the player.

Reply #870840 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They should have been shipped back to where they came from upon arrival.

What year is this? 1788? That ship has sailed, mate.

I was wrong LV, LB reminds us all of the one generally considered illegal method

Reply #870841 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV, no issue taking the jabs. Was vaccinated a while ago.

And haven't felt very isolated from travel at all - probably travelled more in the last 12-18 months domestically than ever before, and I already travel a lot more than the average person. Did a cruise in WA (got paid to photograph and experience it), a paid cruise in SA, got paid to go on the Ghan up to Darwin, have been to just about every region in SA multiple times - over on Eyre Peninsula 5+ times recently, to the Flinders three times, etc. Loads of people here out on roads doing trips.

Good excuse to do some SA/NT/WA trips until the east coast drama subsides, though we did consider FNQ for the next trip, likely to do SW WA instead.

SA’s future path TBD. If past path was choosing between letting Covid in and copping lockdowns/thousands of cases or what we did, seems like an easy call to me.

When "Covid comes", as you say, unlike NSW/Vic, we’ll be close to 80% vax, more measures and expertise in place, etc. SA trialing home quarantine for post-OS travel. OS likely to open up to everyone so someone in SA effectively travelled within half of AU for 1-2 years while some Eastern states had massive lockdowns. LV, resorting to “backwater” lines is weak.

Reply #870854 | Report this post

Scout  
Years ago

Just read this forum, interesting read. KET - great posting, have disagreed with you on other forums due to misinterpretation but your posts on here are spot on.

Reply #870858 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Isaac, my comments weren't really about the past 18 months.

Vic and NSW would've and should've been in mostly the same position as SA, WA etc. 3 things have screwed over the populous states, 2 of them their own fault, and one somewhat out of our control

- The debacle of Hotel Quarantine, mentioned above, that led to a 112 day lockdown and an official inquiry that tried to work out how it happened, ultimately revealing a quagmire of mess that only overpaid bureaucrats could possibly dream up.

- Gladys complacency, not locking down early, ultimately leading to NSWs current 2 month+ lockdown and leaking virus to QLD, ACT, Vic (multiple times), and possibly NZ.

- The infectiousness of the Delta variant combined with densely populated cities

A 4th issue is non compliance with lockdowns. 2 issues on this front- 1. Lockdown fatigue (which wouldn't have been as much of an issue without the initial failures leading to 2020 lockdown, in Melbourne at least) and also the diversity of Melbourne and Sydney (which is usually a strength of those cities) has potentially made public health messaging more difficult to execute.

So a range of issues.

But my point is, my comments were purely about the path out of lockdowns, rather than a critique of what SA has done over the past 18 months. Comments I've heard from QLD and WA premiers in particular make me worry they'll drag covid-zero out to a point where it becomes counter productive and just delaying the inevitable.

On the bigger question of lockdown strategy, I have no idea if covid-zero will prove the be the best strategy of dealing with covid. That question will only be examined properly with hindsight- and more information about long term effect. Sober analysis will tell us more in 5, 10, 20 years time.

I'm happy enough with how Australia has handled it, it's just a shame both the Victorian and NSW governments made critical mistakes which have reduced the effectiveness of the approach and made lockdowns longer than they needed to be.

Reply #870869 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

LV, you can relax (within your 5km radius)!

Premier Steven Marshall has vowed to open South Australia's borders to New South Wales and Victoria when 80 per cent of the state’s population is fully vaccinated - likely well before Christmas.

Reply #870872 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NSW has been in lock down for three months now, we were in lock down last Christmas as well, maximum of five per house hold. The media have no moral compass and don't hold NSW to account. Ruby princess set the first lot off as well.

Reply #870875 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Good move SA.

Reply #870879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Through team and coaches now. Good omen , United same situation last season to champs.

Reply #871133 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And WA have vowed if SA open to NSW/Vic the WA will close to SA.

Reply #871134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tasmania are saying will open up at 90%, SA won't open much before, I can’t see anything but a hub if going tos tart this year. Both NSW and Victoria are in trouble re icu beds.
That tic tok anti vaxer and his father are now hospital, his father in an icu bed, they were at the freedom rally in Sydney. Lol.

Reply #871140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LV

What will your response be when we open up and Covid runs rampant through SA Indigenous communities and kills them off? Currently they are at 15% vaccinated and as we all know they are the least likely to have doses made available due to the cost of any health programs in indigenous communities.

Are you happy that due to more prominent underlying health issues and their higher likelihood of virus deaths, that they should be forced to face further community cases so that you can go to NSW for Christmas?

Reply #871141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To have a Hub a state government has to bank roll it. There are no suitors at present

Reply #871145 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

News today confirming what we already knew, per my comments above last week

https://www.smh.com.au/national/global-studies-on-long-covid-and-children-unnecessarily-worrying-say-researchers-20210916-p58s3n.html

Covid generally mild in children. 0.2% of healthy children will have several illness. The numbers who end up in hospital will be "very, very, small"

How dumb does Palascuk sound now? Some of these pollies have lots to answer for, using unfounded fear for political purposes

Reply #871330 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

I guess all pollies try to use unfounded fears for political gain, but it's particularly galling that Palascuk was using fear tactics and misinformation around children's health

Reply #871331 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

She has kept her state safe so far, a lot lies have come out her mouth than Morrison or Gladameire. If the vaccine had been hear earlin the year and an orderly distribution we would be like a lot countries open.

Reply #871346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"we would be like a lot countries open." With hundreds dying unnecessarily.

Reply #871350 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:47 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754