Perthworld
Years ago

Ben Simmons holding out

Will not be reporting to 76ers training camp and intends to never play for the team again.

Topic #49239 | Report this topic

€¥₩*  
Years ago

What a wanker.
Simmons I mean not the OP.

Reply #871837 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

What a prick, and since we're clarifying I mean Simmons not the poster above.

I hope Ben gets sent somewhere other than California which is where he wants to go.

Reply #871838 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dr No J behaving like a child. Trade him with Orlando for a towel or a water cooler, something useful.

Reply #871839 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Rubbish. Not any posts above, just Simmons' attitude.

Who is advising this guy? Makes him more disliked in Philly and elsewhere, further degrades his reputation, lowers his stock more, although that might be the plan. Again takes the mentally weak option. Again does the opposite of what is best for his development.

Reply #871841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Klutch is the problem.

Reply #871842 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I love that Simmons will probably be forever known as the diva who caused the NBA to clamp down and fine the living crap out of players who do this. It's brilliant.

Reply #871844 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Klutch management are toxic. It's sad that they're apparently the only voice outside of his own family he seems willing to listen to.

Reply #871845 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

He must have some seriously terrible influences in his life right now.

Dave Simmons was one of the hardest working, most unselfish, team oriented imports to ever grace our league and Ben carrying on the way he is makes no sense. You would imagine Ben had a great example to follow as a young bloke but has seriously gone off the rails.

Reply #871846 | Report this post

Easy As  
Years ago

For a country that loves to sue the ass off anything that moves, and I know it'd look bad for attracting great talent in the future, but they should sue him for breach of contract for something like 500 Mill, and a condition of them winning will be making him sit out for the duration remaining on the contract, without receiving any compensation. I'm sick of players in all professional sport treating their contracts like a piece of toilet paper!

Reply #871847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not a good look and he can be a bit of a real flog who I'm not particularlya fan of, but I can also understand his stance.

He played like shit in the play-offs but has been completely thrown under the bus and public enemy #1 in philly and the media ever since. The way the franchise has treated him the last few months has been pretty shit. I don't think there is anyway that relationship could have ever been repaired.

I can understand him just wanting out and doing what ever it takes, lots of unhappy NBA players have forced their way out before. Philly need to just hurry up and trade him, they're also to blame in this whole mess.

Reply #871849 | Report this post

Jackie Moon  
Years ago

I would not even trade our Washer and Dryer for him. I already did that to get Ed Monix anyway.

Reply #871854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Jackie Moon - Monix was old and busted up but could still shot a jumper at least. Don't forget he won a ring as well.

Reply #871856 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Its hardly surprising it came to this there is obvious bad blood between them. He's willing to take the hit with the fines and move on. How much are the fines for not showing up to camp? He can obviously afford it but as said above players shouldn't have any say in where they get traded after breaching their contract!

Reply #871857 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

@Bol

Correct me if I am wrong guys, but I think on the 3rd or 4th day of absence, the Sixers can dictate how much the fine will be. They could ask for a million dollars per day if they wanted too. 

Reply #871859 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

"the way Philly treated him was pretty shitty". Was it? The guy has been given hundreds of millions of dollars across five seasons and cant even shoot a jump shot. Any time anyone pulled him up on it, he'd refer them to his stats. His arrogance was his downfall and it came back to bite him. the 76ers have every right to "throw him under the bus" because he'd been asking for it for a long time. He couldn't even do the bare minimum to improve his game because in his own mind he was infallible.

As for what this does for his future, I don't think it's very good. It's one thing to not want to be a 76er anymore, and fair enough Philly would probably boo him for the rest of his career there anyway. But the way he's going about it - not keeping in contact, basically trying to strong arm them into trading him where he wants - is not going to bode well for future teams picking him up. I hope he gets sent to some shitty non-Califormian and non-Instagram chic city where he's stuck with a bunch of bumpkins and has to wear the downsides of his privileged attitude.

If he were any type of person he would wear the backlash he has caused and deserved, he would go to camp and would tru to justify the millions put into him. But that's not Ben Simmons.

Reply #871865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who would have thought, he's had his own coaches at every stop, it’s always been his way or the highway. I’m actually not really surprised, yes his advisers certainly are on the wrong track though. Popcorn, lol.

Reply #871866 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ben's getting everything he deserves from the media and Philly. he's entitled and privileged and unless he changes his attitude and management he's going to struggle to realize his potential on court and off.

Reply #871868 | Report this post

Travis 2nd Best  
Years ago

This guy tells lies.

Goes on to claim "I'm going to be working on my 3s" every off-season.

Tinashe. 10. Maya Jama. 10.

No credibility.

Reply #871874 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

Doesn't Klutch or his entourage tell him this is bad for his current value and future value?

Windhorst reported that Ben's contract is friendly, that he will be paid 2 x 25% before the season even starts, so he will already have $16m in his pocket leaving the other $16m to be 'fined' and 'threatened'.

If a new team takes his contract, they may be asked to waive the penalties and he ends up losing nothing but his reputation.

Reply #871875 | Report this post

Jackie Moon  
Years ago

@Anon856

He had a sweet jumper and he helped us win the Flint Michigan Megabowl.

If it weren't for Father Pat, we would have finished higher. I should murder his family.

Reply #871876 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's understandable for Ben to annoyed with the team as keep in mind they tried to trade him in the season to get Harden and Doc and Embiid through him under the bus in those interviews.

However, the reason as to why this is such a shit show is Ben has refused to work on a skill that everyone knew was a weakness since college. Philly throughout his time have done everything they can to get him to shoot yet whether it be because of Klutch or himself he ends up not doing so.

Keep in mind it’s one thing to be scared to shoot jump shots, but this guy is scared to attack the basket and go to the free throw line.

Then philly ask him once again to work on his game and instead proceeds to throw a hissy fit and demand a trade.

Personally I’d like to see what happened with the heat when Lebron complained to Riley and was told 'shut up and go to work, I’m not getting rid of you, you still have 3 years left on your contract’

Reply #871878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Firstly, I agree Ben Simmons is a wanker... however I have been putting some thought in to this and you need to wonder, what do people expect?

Everyone blames everything on him within the club, Its their fault he isn't gone already and they now want him to return? Not defending him but the Sixers themselves are part blame in all of this.

And Mystro - no dont send him to Orlando.. thats my team and we dont want him :)

Reply #871891 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

Whilst Simmons is a wanker I don't blame him from wanting out on philly as let’s not pretend they’ve exactly been upstanding citizens throughout this process either.

The issue that I see is saying stuff about how he’ll only play for certain teams as considering his playoff performances his value isn’t high at all, other good teams won’t want his attitude around and considering he refuses to shoot that then narrows the options of who he can play with in general.

If anything he needs to go to a garbage team and just dominate to show to the rest of the league he’s still a big time player. Especially since contending teams won’t be willing to give up much to get him.

Reply #871893 | Report this post

Musk  
Years ago

I'd also like to bring up that initially philly tried to baby him, then they did things like assigned him shooting coaches and ask for him to shoot a three a game and that was just under Brett Brown. Then Doc comes in and tries to baby him again and it’s another failure.

If you’re a another team you’re gonna need respected vets/culture that can whip him into shape e.g. Lakers, Raptors, Warriors and Spurs (Lakers because if he doesn’t listen to Lebron then he’s a lost hope in regards to his behaviour) but even those teams aren’t looking to get him as the warriors have draymond, the raptors are trying to rebuild and they just drafted Scottie Barnes who’s basically draymond 2.0. So that leaves the Spurs with good young talent that could be used to trade and having pop will hopefully have him wake the fuck up but I could see even the Spurs not wanting to put up with him.

Sacramento could get a could deal just with their players and Minnesota too but both seem to be hesitant to do so.

So we’ll have to wait and see but will be an interesting result for sure

Reply #871894 | Report this post

The hound  
Years ago

I hope this big chip on the shoulder is abounded my the nba.might get a gig at chelsea

Reply #871895 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

And Mystro - no dont send him to Orlando.. thats my team and we dont want him :)

You took Markelle Fultz but won't take Ben Simmons?

Reply #871899 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Years ago

Would we all be hating on Simmons if he had gone to the olympics? It will be interesting to see if he gets any new
sponsorship opportunities here in Australia. I don't think he is all that marketable any more. Australians love our hard working and humble athletes, not a soft, lazy privileged brat that he has turned into.

Reply #871905 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ben Simmons has been pandered every step of the way, from the Boomers bringing in David Patrick and then Brett Brown, to 76ers getting him shooting coaches. Long and short of it is the guy doesn't want to apply himself to anything he isn't already doing, be it learning to shoot a jump shot, or spending his summers not chasing Instagram thots. Would we be hating if he had played the Olympics? Well.. potentially, yes. He's wanted every team he's ever played on catered to him. His weaknesses may have been quite expensive for us at the Olympics and maybe it's better he didnt play. But his clear unwillingness to commit himself to the Boomers and to his own development, coupled with his supreme arrogance make him an extremely unlikeable and unmarketable person. His play and behaviour has completely tanked his trade value and now he's vimdictively making the 76ers wear it, and refusing to go to training camp if they don't. All that after all the work they'd put into him and all the money they spent. His attitude is a huge part of why his trade value is shot, with many teams not convinced he's going to get any better, because he doesn't believe he should have to. Ben Simmons is a comoplete and utter waste of talent and a jack ass, and it would give me warped satisfaction if he ended up at the Shanghai Sharks

Reply #871910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Part of me wants him to Miami just so Jimmy Butler and Pat Riley can verbally rip him to shreds lol

Reply #871911 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"And Mystro - no dont send him to Orlando.. thats my team and we dont want him :)"

I was a Magic fan as a kid, before Shaq, Penney Hardaway ect.

Dwight Howard wrecked that forever so that train wreck of a franchise deserves Ben Simmons.

Reply #871912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Shit Mystro, must have been a short marriage, Shaq and Penny arrived only a couple of years after they were formed. Terry Catledge and Jeff Turner must have really had you jumping out of your seat!!!

Reply #871915 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Lovebroker - we have Fultz, Anthony, Suggs, Hampton we dont need Simmons... we are young and in the rebuild 3.0 I dont think getting Simmons would be ideal.

Reply #871926 | Report this post

Stevy  
Years ago

Guys, You should not be too hard on Simmons. He's still a rookie, after all.

Hehe, jokes aside. I wonder what he will end up with? Value has tanked for him. I saw this video a week ago. It summed things up well.

Reply #871928 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Anon, the Magic were created in 89' and Dwight didn't arrive until like 04/05 and was alright until he demanded VanGundy go in 2012.

Nick Anderson & Scott Skiles were the guys at the Magic when I first became a fan.
Then Shaq & Penney Hardaway followed by TMAC came and bought some excitement but it never amounted to a title but still good times.

Reply #871934 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Mystro - for me I have been a Magic fan since Shaq... fav Orlando player of all time for me is Turkoglu though.

Back to Ben - if Portland start off slow and Dame demands a trade, Portland might go be candidates to get him?

Reply #871947 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

TMac is my favourite Magic player followed by Shaq and Rashard Lewis and Michael Pietrus.
First NBA Jersey I ever got was Shaq Orlando in the black with the vertical stripes.
Cool era across the league, sick jerseys and heaps of cool players.
Charlotte were probably my second favourite team with Lj, Bogues, Gill & Mourning.

Reply #871951 | Report this post

The hound  
Years ago

What a great pair Simmons and garbage

Reply #871953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To much money to early in life, never worked for it, it develops bad attitudes. Where to from here? It's ugly .

Reply #871962 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Anon - he has definitely worked for it, to even crack the NBA let alone be a number 1 pick shows he worked for it... you dont just wake up an NBA player. On top of that he is a top 5 defensive player in the league.

He has a hole in his game that he is reluctant to work on or at the least reluctant to attempt to work on during games... but to say he hasnt worked for it is a bit of a stretch.

Reply #871964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Natural ability and knowledge of the people that can move you up the ladder has helped him a long. Last season is the first season he has played with out having his own man as coach. That imo is not working for it.

Reply #871966 | Report this post

Craig  
Years ago

Number 1 draft pick
One of the best defenders in the league
Rookie of the year

This has nothing to do with Brett Brown

Reply #871967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His college coach was a family friend, only number one draft pick that team never made March madness, reported at the time that his team mates were very unimpressed with him. If Brown had not been head coach, he might not have been pick one.

Reply #871970 | Report this post

The sooner that the NBA will stop bothering actual residents of citys like Philadelphia and NewYork
with basketball when NewYork is primary concern baseball and Philadelphia being, inexplicably,
American-rules-rugby town, that will mean D.C. and Baltimore may continue being a premier
destination for basketball players on teams in America.

The NBA is needlessly creating a monetary scheme in a basketball game, it makes sense to avoid
training camp when similar games can be played for free, and a functionally equivalent paycheck
could be earned on the internet, as it stands. There will always be some NBA employees on the
basketball court, and, some basketball players employed by the NBA.

It's irrational to continue playing basketball for a paid expense after a player has nothing
to prove on a hardwood floor that couldn't alternatively be proven on a blacktop for free.
Demonstrably it's just my opinion of course, has nothing to do with any actual explaination about
the statement made regarding the 76ers. The 87ers will be a clear segway in this pattern.

Reply #871989 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

https://www.inquirer.com/sixers/ben-simmons-turns-away-sixers-teammates-wants-out-of-philly-20210925.html

Reply #872001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's like Simmons wants to be hated by everyone.

Meanwhile, Thybulle defended him on a podcast recently. While Thybulle didn't say Simmons was totally blameless, he said that the level of criticism was very unfair on Simmons. Probably true. Thybulle even tried to absorb some of the blame in the loss for committing a foul. Imagine if Simmons was as grounded and mature as Thybulle, able to put up his hand to admit his mistakes, able to respond maturely to criticism.

This issue isn't just about being thrown under the bus. Sure, those comments were bad, but they were after a devastating loss and both retracted or clarified their comments. This is a pattern of behaviour with Simmons, again showing immaturity and mental weakness. Look at Simmons' response after Lemanis didn't select him a few years ago. He holds onto grudges. He seems to struggle with criticism. He insists upon his own personal coaches. He appears to only surrounds himself with those in his inner circle.

For me, his NBA value is reduced a lot due to these weaknesses. Any team that trades for him will need to continue to coddle him, unless Simmons can change. To avoid friction, does this mean the team will need to be built around this mentally weak character? Will any NBA team be happy to commit to that?

This is why I think it all ultimately comes down to Simmons and why these shenanigans, which highlight his fragility, aren't helping him in his quest to be traded.

Reply #872007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Denver have apparently got a deal setup which should be announced this week. Can imagine it will involve Gordon, may even be a straight up for MPJ who's about to get paid.

Reply #872013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ben simmons for there pg

Reply #872014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would the Nuggets want Simmons? Jokic is already a facilitating big.

But on the topic of facilitating bigs, would Simmons be able to play point-centre? He has the size to take on most NBA bigs these days and he has the rebounding capabilities. Would Simmons be able to play a Jokic-type role, with an offense that runs through him?

Reply #872024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying it's a good fit, just what's being reported.

Reply #872031 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is ᱬᱠᱵᱬᱠᱰ a bot? That post is like repeatedly hitting autopredict and then thesaurusing random words.

Reply #872037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought the same reading it, as my mind replayed billy Maddison's teachers lecture after one of his academic decathlon fuck ups

Reply #872041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last time a Sixers point guard had a
reputation for not being able to shoot,
there was a joke about taking a 3 where you
say "Kobe" when you think it's going in
and say "Eric Snow" when there's no
chance of it going in.

I'm waiting for that saying to be lost in obscurity,
much like the player's reputation
and especially their reputation for naught.

Reply #872062 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Ben's value is lowering by the day it seems. If Philly are to trade him, they're going to end up witha lot less in return than they'd originally bargained for - and that's why the renewed push to have him on the team. Let's face it, they don't want Ben Simmons, they just don't want what they can get for him even moreso. What I am wondering is, is there a situation where Ben isn't traded, refuses to play for Philly, Philly refuse to give him up for a washing machine, and Ben doesn't play in the NBA next season?

Reply #872126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are the rules, can Philly stop paying him ?

His reputation is well and truely tarnished, long way back from here.

Reply #872141 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

After their experience with Allan Iverson years ago, very similar to Ben, I would expect the Sixers to hold their tough line in the hope that Ben backs down and gives them what they want.

Reply #872142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, if he refuses to show, Philly can stop paying him. I think he's already been paid 8M for this season, though, and another 8 due October 1. So unless they make that decision very soon, they will lose a lot of salary leverage.

Reply #872146 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

It seems he's also implied that he wouldn't play games where his new team were returning to play in Philadelphia. Seems remarkably petty and a bit fragile?

Fascinating though.

Reply #872159 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fascinating perhaps, gob smacking Prima donna is more the term I'd use.

Reply #872164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wimp is the word I would use.
Not even wanting to play in Philly as an away player.
Embarrassing, luckily I don't think of him as an Australian.

Reply #872168 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I assume there is a mental health aspect to this, which tempers my judgement a bit. That said, he is being extraordinarily well paid to work, and mental health doesn't completely excuse lacking the willingness to work with a team largely trying to help you.

Reply #872184 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been like this since juniors, we’ll documented.
Just shows how insanely talented he is that despite it was able to still become the 1st pick.
But eventually it catches up.

Reply #872187 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've struggled with mental health issues for years, not over the top but still not great, I couldn’t just sit on my arse with family and mortgage commitments, you have to get on with it.
Yes Simmons could be struggling mentally but he should look at his bank account and way up where he needs to be. I hope I’m not to harsh but I don’t understand it.

Reply #872189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was first pick because the Sixers coach was a family friend, certainly not on his one year of college.

Reply #872191 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a reality where Simmons doesn’t play next season.

Reply #872206 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

At some point, Adam Silver gonna have to stop being everyone's goofy uncle and actually take some action on behalf of the league. Stern wouldn’t have stood for these kind of shenanigans, he ain’t about that life.

Reply #872210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was the consensus number one pick coming out of college, wasn't Brown doing the draft anyway.

Reply #872211 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

People act like he's immediately turned into a hapless player. He's still very capable. He's still a physical prototype of a basketball player. And he can shoot, just overrun mentally by yips when the focus is on him.

Reply #872216 | Report this post

The hound  
Years ago

A very sad case,but,might fit in at Chelsea.they would accept his attitude

Reply #872218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Pete

Reply #872224 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

It's not that he’s hapless or untalented, just that he’s mentally gone and it doesn’t look like he can handle the scrutiny of being a pro baller. Word is that if he is traded, when his potential new team plays in Philly, he won’t be.

Remember when Vince left Toronto, or when (a somewhat flaky to critique) LeBron left Cleveland (the first time), at least they fronted up to their former-fans despite the animosity the diehards directed their way.

I’m sure some team will talk themselves into Simmons though, and at some point Philly will cut their losses accept $0.15 on the dollar just to be done with the drama.

Just remember we were expected Simmons to be an MVP-level player (think Giannis’ development year-on-year), but I have the feeling he’ll be consigned to the "wasted potential" column.

Reply #872247 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To my fellow anons, it's completely understandable to shit on Simmons now, but please stop acting like if philly didn’t have the no.1 pick he wouldn’t have gone no.1. The general consensus for most of that year (yes even before the draft lottery) was always Simmons going first. Then from what I recall when LSU failed to make the NCAA tournament there was some talk about 'well is he really that good? Could Ingram go first?’ But otherwise from his last high school year until the draft he was considered the no.1 prospect for all but maybe a month or so. Which even that felt more like a media creation and scouts just being extra sure.

It may be hard to remember but there was a reason why he was compared to Lebron and Magic in college and high school because we all thought he was supremely talented.

Reply #872332 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If there's any truth to the rumour that Simmons would refuse to play in Philadelphia even while on another team, it's just craziness.

This entire saga is just nuts. For a player with suspect mental toughness, he's getting some of the worst advice possible. Now every second NBA analyst is calling him "scared". It's putting him under an even greater microscope, putting him under even more pressure whenever he gets back on an NBA team.

With all this media attention, and more fans talking shit about him, he's going to become even more subject to taunts, everywhere he plays, not just in Philly. This is the kind of behaviour that damages the reputation of a player for their entire career. If there was any doubt before, it's confirming his mental weakness.

Simmons is a quiet, introverted guy. He'd be hating this kind of negative attention.

With regular talk about Klutch in these stories, you have to wonder how much influence Klutch is having in shaping this saga. I just can't see how any of this is going to benefit Simmons.

Reply #872336 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

ast week

He must have some seriously terrible influences in his life right now.

Dave Simmons was one of the hardest working, most unselfish, team oriented imports to ever grace our league and Ben carrying on the way he is makes no sense. You would imagine Ben had a great example to follow as a young bloke but has seriously gone off the rails.

He was a mediocre player that made big here, like a lot of imports , but he's had stars in his eyes re his son since juniors , puff enough hot air up someone’s tail end and they will eventually blow up

Simmons is a brat that’s been enabled by his family and hyped up half baked social media here , only got to look at his behaviour at crown casino to see his true character
But with his millions safely tucked away he really doesn’t have to care does he

Reply #872359 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I'd trade for him, for sure. Ask him where he is now, where he wants to be. Get him to realise the best route to that future. Put 3-5 trainers/psychologists in his daily team mix (with his knowledge) and get him to pick his favourite by the end of some period, then have them work with him going forward. There's enough money at stake to put in serious effort to maximise his return, and loads of time in an NBA regular season to experiment. Give him minutes with a second unit to build shooting confidence against weaker opponents, etc.

I hope he ends up under Kerr or Pop who are both likely to be careful guides, while appreciating what he is already doing on court by default.

Reply #872368 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If Philly fans didn't hate him (much) before now, they certainly will the longer this saga goes on. No wonder he won’t play there.

Meanwhile, Klutch seems to be following the 'any publicity is good publicity’ principle.

What a soap opera - it’s almost like watching Kardashian sh*t. Oh, wait, wasn’t he part of the ‘family’ for a while? It starts to make sense now.

Reply #872370 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Apparently Ben is willing to sit out the whole year unless traded

Link

Surely there has to be some mental illness driving these decisions. It's getting a bit late to think a trade is on the cards - certainly not one the 76ers will happily take. And Ben is eroding his credibility with every passing day. i mean what team is going to dish out on a contract for him if this is how he deals with adversity? I just feel like this is going to go poorly in the long run for Ben on every level.

Reply #872379 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

I have always thought the venom shown to Le Bron by the Cleveland fans when he returned in a Miani jersey was the hostile I had seen, but wow, can you imagine when Simmons returns to Philly for the first time as an opponent?

Reply #872380 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I can. But that's basketball. Some people will boo him. Some people will say mean things. They'll burn jerseys. They'll wave mean placards. But so what? It's not like he's going to be pelted with shit like what happens in Europe. And if the rumour is true that he doesn't want to play ANY games in Philadelphia... I mean... I am sorry but his career is basically over. Alarm bells would be sounding for every GM right now watching this unfold. Maybe him and Jonah Bolden can do a joint crypto venture together or something

Reply #872385 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Worried about Simmons skipping Philly games when Kyrie is currently set to miss more than half a season unless he gets vaccinated or there are policy changes at cities/arenas/league?

Missing a handful of games is at least easy to write off as load management, even if everyone knows exactly what's happening.

Reply #872388 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

1) he's willing to miss the whole season
2) What is he going to do if he has to be in a playoff series aaginst Philly?

The difference between Kyrie Irving and Ben Simmons is that Kyrie is a proven championship winner with proven value to teams and the league. Ben may be an all-star, but he's won nothing. He's an up-and-comer who has not reached his potential, but has some glaring weaknesses in his game that he seems unable to fix. He also has shown startling mental weakness and inability to deal with criticism and adversity. It's not the same as a player taking time off due to the covid jab. This is a player showing GMs that there is something fundamentally wrong with him - beyond Kyrie being a conspiracy theorist.

Reply #872389 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I reckon the Nets would trade a little bit of Kyries natural basketball talent for some intelligence

Reply #872390 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Nah but Kyrie is just misunderstood! Or something.

Yeah look I'm disappointed in how Simmons is handling this but let's not pretend it's a tactic he made up. The Sixers will eventually find a trade they're ok with, move him on and he'll go on to play another 10+ years in the NBA as one of the best defenders going around.

Is he LeBron? No. But literally nobody else is. He is, though, a very good NBA player.

Reply #872391 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think everyone's just disappointed in Simmons attitude, which has been flagged since his days at LSU

Reply #872395 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is he lebron, lmao. Not even close.

He's on max money, you don’t get that for only playing D with a few assists.

At present Thyabulle is a better player in a well run system.

Reply #872411 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Yeah, on Ben Simmons money he needs to have the potential to be a major piece of a championship team and/or a major piece in a team that pushes for it. He's not proven he can do that. Whatever deal Draymond Green is on is basically what Simmons should be getting until he proves otherwise.

Reply #872421 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

If Simmons wants to miss games, he could've just said he wasn't going to get vaccinated. At worst, we'd just think he was a stupid conspiracy theorist, like all other Melbourne-born NBA number draft picks.

In the current NBA world, that's far better than being labeled scared, mentally weak, a cry-baby, fragile, unreliable.

Reply #872425 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

*number 1 draft picks.

Reply #872426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol I can't believe how insane irving, Bogut and Simmons have become.

Reply #872427 | Report this post

strinjun  
Years ago

With no disrespect to anyone, I've wondered about Simmons having a mental illness &/or on the autism spectrum, crossed with the bad representation that Klutch is providing.

Asserting that he’s a pg. Reddick saying he’s like looking at us from behind glass. Not being close with team mates. Asserting that it’s okay to play defence & shut down on offence makes me wonder if he’s on the spectrum.

Reply #872429 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

strinjun, there's definitely a mental health aspect.

The Kyrie conversation is interesting given there were stories just today about someone canvassing the trade value of Kyrie around the league and figuring it was just about zero.

And then, on the surface a Kyrie-Simmons trade might seem questionable, could each team actually improve? Kyrie on the 76ers isn't a shocking option - they take a hit on D, but that will happen with most trades.

Meanwhile, Simmons on the Nets has Patty able to step in during the fourth, plus Durant and Harden provide more than enough scoring to offset any quirks.

Reply #872443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A list of things Kyrie Irving does and doesn't believe in...

Here are some positions Kyrie took during his appearance on Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye's Road Trippin' podcast.

- The moon landing was fake. Says the boot prints on the moon don't match Neil Armstrong's boots in "the museum."

- There are extraterrestrial beings in the universe.

- Dinosaurs did not exist.

- The earth is flat.

- The education system is designed to lie to us.

- NASA is lying about the rover missions to Mars and that all of the data about space they provide for us is doctored to feed us a narrative.

- The people who make alien movies are not designing their aliens out of thin air. He thinks they are basing it on something they have seen.

- Believes he is on a journey to become a complete human being who has complete freedom of thought.

- The JFK assassination had something to do with him signing an order to take out the global bank cartel.

- Bob Marley and MLK were "taken out" for preaching togetherness.

- "They" are creating separation in race and class to control power in the world.

- Believes he has a far bigger purpose and cause to his life than basketball.

- Listens to audiobooks while taking naps.

- Believes the way we travel the world proves the globe is not round.

This was just 4 years ago, the list is now 20 points longer.

Reply #872444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 religions and counting.

Reply #872445 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

Probably the most disturbing discovery from that podcast is that he listens to audiobooks whilst taking naps. Truly bizarre.

Reply #872447 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Probably the most disturbing discovery from that podcast is that he listens to audiobooks whilst taking naps."

I once scored 200 points in a quarter of basketball. I often do incredible things while napping. Sometimes I sleep!

Reply #872466 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Marks:

In the event Simmons skips all four of the 76ers' preseason games, Simmons will lose roughly $1.4 million in fines. If he's traded, for example, on Nov. 19 -- a month into the regular season -- he will lose roughly $7.2 million in salary.

This is not money Simmons can get back in the event Philadelphia eventually accedes to his wish to be traded. The team that chooses to trade for him cannot agree to pay Simmons the money he is owed in fines from Philadelphia. Instead, Simmons would only be able to get some, or all, of the fine money back by coming to a settlement with the 76ers, who would have no incentive to do so.
And from a sports lawyer, Michael McCann:
If Ben Simmons forfeits paychecks, that pay is gone and can't be recouped later under the contract. Contracts are certified as containing a specific dollar amount & rates of pay, and aren't paid if employee doesn't show up for work.

Reply #872862 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

These players really live in such a land of privilege, where not being paid for work you havent done is somehow controversial. There's no justifiable reason why Ben should be paid for games and practices he hasn't shown for. He deserves to lose that money.

Reply #872871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ certainly, I'm gob smacked how this is going.

Reply #872878 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's not controversial everyone on the planet understands that, as I'm sure Simmons factored all that in. He's already made enough money this season alone to live off of comfortably for the rest of his life.

This is just the NBA Media looking for clicks. If there is no news they've got to create it.

Reply #872879 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

If there was ever going to be a professional athlete who was to be a test case for the limit of player power and their entitlement it may as well be Ben.

Reply #872905 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Interesting read:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/05/ben-simmons-holdout-philadelphia-76ers-nba

Reply #872992 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Maybe, but The Guardian only seems to show up for basketball when there is a Cambage or Simmons drama to feast on...

Separately:

After receiving a big fine for missing last night's preseason game, sources say Ben Simmons' representation spoke to the players association and had it reiterated the money could not be recovered, a potential sign that the weight of a holdout is setting in

Reply #872994 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

That's great news re: no recoverability.

Reply #873036 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Shouldn't he have made such enquiries before committing to not committing?

Reply #873037 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Woj:

Sources: Sixers were unaware Simmons was flying into Philadelphia today. The organization was in constant contact with agent Rich Paul, but Simmons simply showed up at arena to take his Covid test prior to Sixers-Nets tip -- and that's when team officials knew he was in town.

Hope he just shows up to play as though nothing ever happened! Ha.

Reply #873536 | Report this post

WookieE  
Years ago

Yeah, all like "What did YOU guys do on your summer vacation?"

But seriously, what a giant tool... Very glad that Philly stood their ground, although I guess they would have traded him if there were any decent offers? Nice tail between your legs crawl back, Benji...

Whoever is giving Ben advice on how to conduct himself in a professional manner needs to be fired... Very glad that an entitled brat did not get what they wanted, even with a huge agency behind him...

Reply #873557 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WookieE

Could not have put it any better. Well said !

Reply #873561 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another turn in the Simmons drama:

Source says Ben Simmons met with Doc Rivers and Daryl Morey today. I'm told Ben is going through the process to rejoin the Sixers, including taking a physical.

What's your bet? He plays like nothing ever happened? He puts in meagre effort to force a trade? He claims injury to avoid playing?

I hope for his sake he just gets on with it, puts in his best effort whether he still wants a trade or could be convinced to stay. Will ultimately work better for him.

Reply #873720 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who knows Isacc, let's just hope he gets on with it.

Reply #873723 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I wouldn't be surprised if he never plays a game for the 76ers again and just fakes an injury until a trade happens. He'll start getting paid again and the fines would stop too.

Reply #873737 | Report this post

strinjun  
Years ago

Please Hoop Gods. Make it stop. Surely you can grant the Sixers Dame & Covington & we can all have a laugh about this one day #rtrs #ttp

Reply #873749 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Unbelievably, it's still going. Using his own doctors, not sharing progress (possibly required by his contract), now agreeing to meet with 76ers designated doctor, etc. Had some remote sympathies at varying points, but he really is tanking as much future value as possible in surprising new ways at each turn.

The 76ers meanwhile are doing quite well to start the season and a few players have expressed how positive an environment it has been (unspoken subtext: without him).

Reply #876120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every employee is entitled to there own doctors, every employer is also entitled to review and have his doctors check the patient.
Has another club that Simmons wants to get to but don't want to pay true trade value think he’s getable if he trashes his reputation.
He’s certainly doing a good job of trashing his reputation.

Reply #876123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unbelievable that Jaylen Brown is being talked about in a trade. Celtics have own toxic environment, but surely Philadelphia will need to give up more than Simmons. And way team is performing it'd be more likely they'll be the ones sending some 1sts.

Reply #876141 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ben Simmons believes the 76ers' tactics are worsening his mental health instead of supporting him, and want to deem him mentally fit in order to force him to play. Quotes from his agent, Klutch Sports CEO Rich Paul, and response from team officials
And there were lines earlier this week about how he was jealous of rookies that had more time to make mistakes rather than thrown in with high expectations to win right away.

Surely needs a bit more introspection on that. I think in past years, 76ers fans would've been delighted if he attempted threes whether he missed or not!

Reply #876375 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

The only person talking about Jayden Brown in a Ben Simmons trade is Daryl Morey just before the Celtics GM hung up.
Then in a seperate call to Woj when he leaked it to try and keep Ben's trade value high.

Reply #876376 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:55 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754