D2.0
Years ago

NBL Cup in Perth????

As you have heard, Magoo recently announced a $5.6 Billion budget surplus, of the back of record Iron Ore Royalties
Surely we could hit him for a million or two to host the NBL cup?

As the AFL finals series has shown, there are enough migrants in Perth to sellout all-Victorian finals, so might be able to rustle up some support for the out of state teams

Furthermore, the covid restrictions have meant a huge-drop in visiting acts to pack out the Arena

Topic #49249 | Report this topic

JB  
Years ago

If he starts handing money out to the NBL because of a budget surplus, absolutely everyone will have their hand out for some cash...
Regarding the AFL I would have thought that west Australians love their footy enough to fill Optus stadium for the only GF in Perth, no matter the teams playing

Reply #872009 | Report this post

Vic Police  
Years ago

NBL don't want the cup

Reply #872010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Give some to Perth seeing they are broke.

Reply #872011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perf can't even get a centre.

Reply #872012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No government wants to pay for the cup for a 2nd/3rd tier code

Reply #872017 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Years ago

Iron ore price has plummeted, that surplus won't last long

Reply #872020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I for one would go to every single game possible if it was held at the arena, it would be great but unlikely I think.

Looking forward to see which centre the cats get once the NBA rosters are full. They are cooking up something spicy no doubt

Reply #872021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will be on the road similar to NZ last year due to WA Government

Reply #872022 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Not a bad idea having the Cup in Perth since WA fans love their sports. Be interesting to see what the NBL come up with.

Reply #872030 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

I don't mind this idea at all, especially with my desire to see a 2nd team in WA (Perth).

Imagine if the NBL Cup games were to be played in various population centres, south of Perth (and in Perth, of course). I can only think of places like Fremantle, Bunbury, Rockingham, Albany (a bit too far away?) and even Kalgoorlie (not up with the towns/cities in WA) and others, no doubt. If a commercial and popular success, it might generate some support for a 2nd Perth team.

To those who claim that no-one would support a 2nd team, look at the AFL GF just past. 60,000 crowd/sellout for a footy game that neither WA team competed in, and, the 2 teams competing were Victorians no-less (forgive my praise of the AFL GF)! Shows me that they love their good sport for the sake of it. No, I don't mean that they "cop" anything. A lot like Melbourne in that (Perth-ites) flock to another NBL team, soon.

The following year(s), we could use similar model for future expansions in NZ, Newcastle or western Sydney, and western Victoria.

BTW, I also like the idea of cancelling Blitz and replacing that with the NBL Cup, in the pre-season.

Reply #872032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Having the Cup in Perth produces a time zone issue. During Daylight Savings, Eastern States (besides QLD) are 3 hours ahead, NZ 4 hours ahead.

I am sure fans of the Eastern teams would love to stay up past midnight to watch the Cup games.

If it is in Perth, don't make it part of the regular season. In fact, don't make it part of the season regardless of the location.

I believe they are scraping it this season anyway.

Reply #872040 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Be a shame if they cancelled the Cup. It would be hard to organise because of the extra games and that we still live in a covid world. Only way the NBL will have games in New South Wales is if enough people get vaccinated. If Sydney and Illawarra were forced to relocate away from their fans it would be a massive blow to the league.

I could see the NBL Cup work better if teams could play home and away games if every team could play in front of their own fans. I'm keen to go to any extra Melbourne games even if it’s a separate competition. Just a massive lover of basketball.

I get jealous how Europe have so many different competitions and Australia just go with dates that can’t clash with Footy, etc.

Be a real kick in the ass if the NBL scrap it. If you Look at the 140 regular season NBL games you wouldn’t think any of those’s games would be Cup games. I could be massively wrong, but it’s a bit too earlier to say. I think if the Cup was going to happen they would have to have it separate like what Europe does with their Cup games.

Reply #872080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A separate competition would be better. It was silly having cup games part of the regular season. Made the season too long.

Reply #872093 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

There will be no issue in NSW holding games with crowds, the issue is WA going to allow teams to travel from NSW to WA. The answer is no before Easter. I can see other states allowing free travel once 80/90% vaccinated but WA have been firm on this.

Reply #872094 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

Very true, states and their health experts.

Once the country is at a high vaccination rate there will be no excuse to open the states up.

Reply #872097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why would any state who are currently COVID free open up to the virus just due to a % number. You people are delusional.

Reply #872100 | Report this post

Giacontigers  
Years ago

I realised a second Perth team in the NBL could work?

Wildcats use to play at Challenge Stadium. It was one of the most loudest stadiums in the league when packed. Challenge Stadium would be perfect for a second Perth team behind the Wildcats.

Second team doesn't need to play at Perth Arena which holds 13,000 plus.

5,000 at Challenge would be perfect then when they host the Wildcats they can play at Perth Arena. Would be a great rivalry.

United v Phoenix rivalry is getting a bit better, but Melbourne had already a better rivalry with Tigers, Magic or even Dragons.

Travel was the main issue why we don't have a second team in Perth. AFL grand final in Perth was amazing for two Melbourne based teams.

Reply #872223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring in the Perth Bandits!

Reply #872251 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

How's this for funny, there's a guy at work called Connor Henry, another called Mark McGowan.

Reply #872437 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hilarious.

Reply #872446 | Report this post

Diop Kick  
Years ago

I do miss challenge sometimes, great value seating

Reply #872462 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Travel was the main issue why we don't have a second team in Perth."

Ignoring the fact that a second team in Perth would actually reduce the overall travel? A team anywhere else means even more travel for the Perth team(s). How can Perth to Fremantle(for example) compare with Perth to anywhere east of SA?

Reply #872467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats have a deal with NBL that guarantees no other Perth team til 2030

Reply #872468 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

That's believable.

Reply #872472 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:22 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754