LoveBroker
Years ago

Spalding Iconic Imports - Perth Wildcats.

Was visiting the NBL website and saw this interesting poll.

https://nbl.com.au/news/spalding-iconic-imports-perth-wildcats

I'm guessing there will be one for every team in due course.

Who do you vote as the most iconic import?

Note this is purely subjective, there are no clear criteria. Its like asking who is the GOAT.

The results (still in progress) are actually quite interesting.

For fun who do you think will be at the top before voting? And how did they rate against the results to date?

Topic #49390 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Ricky Grace.

Reply #875825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most I think will say cotton but I agree with PW and say Ricky Grace

Reply #875827 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

In regards to other clubs the most obvious one that comes to mind is Loggins for Bullets.

Reply #875832 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I'm voting for Ricky Grace.

Reply #875833 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Adelaide's options will be interesting.

Al Green, was Mark Davis ever an import? Robert Rose, KB, Farley, Mee

Reply #875834 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I'd go for Grace but that’s probably a 90/00s bias.

Cotton should be considered their best/iconic even if anything "today" fails to feel “iconic”

Reply #875835 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Wonder if Melbourne United will include Melbourne Tigers import players?

I doubt it, just look at the latest NBL media guide.

Reply #875836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

giving my boy Dolla Beal some love

Reply #875837 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

Cotton is in a league of his own but Grace was such a revelation for the league and really made teams start to change their import considerations.

Reply #875838 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All time greatest Wildcats starting 5 will be tough to beat
Grace
Cotton
Ennis
Redhage or Fisher
Crawford

Reply #875842 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Andre Ingram.

Reply #875844 | Report this post

Silencer83  
Years ago

I feel like the current top 3 that are well ahead is correct:

Grace 39%
Cotton 28%
Crawford 19%

Beal in 4th (4%) surprises me over the longer term players like Fisher and Redhage but beyond the top 3 it feels very much personal preferences anyway

Reply #875845 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

It's clearly Grace or Cotton and you can make compelling arguments for either one. Probably just comes down to personal opinion as to who is the most iconic. Either way Wildcats fans have been super lucky to have both these guys

For the Tigers it's a no brainer in Copeland. One half of one of the most enduring iconic duos in the history of the league.

I hope United keep their options to just United players. Claiming iconic players from a brand you've distanced yourself from seems a little on the nose

Reply #875846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KET said " was Mark Davis ever an import?" Really? Think more. Post less.

Reply #875847 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Ricky Grace right now, but Cotton when his careers over I'd say, guys still got some years in him yet. Cotton will probably win though due to some recency bias and new fans/members who weren't around during the Grace years.

Reply #875851 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Why bother posting anon? Not helpful at all.

My days of following the 36ers, Davis wasn't an import - I don’t know if he ever was one for Adelaide.

Reply #875852 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

Mark Davis was a beast when he first played as an import (watch the DVD put together by Lennon Cooper of you're not old enough), was a very long term player and captain and had a statue built at the powerhouse.

Adelaide have had some great imports over the years but none that really get close to Davis IMO

Reply #875856 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Looks like he became a citizen in 1992.

I think Davis would have to be it or Al Green surely, they're the ones with retired singlets in the rafters

Reply #875857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Al Green's off court history would preclude him being GOAT. Jones anyone? But it would have to be Davis.

Reply #875861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton for, just a pure winner.

Reply #875862 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Andre Ingram.

Could have stiff competition from Brian Fundingsland

Reply #875863 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

There are no right or wrong selections but I think Redhage deserves a bit more love (despite being a polarising character).

Other than flash in the pans like Rob Feaster, Redhage was probably the one propping up the Wildcats during their lean decade.

I guess people won't recognise that as much and when he finally did win, other names like Beal, Ennis and Martin overtook his name.

Reply #875864 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's "iconic" import, though, not "best" import. Redhage was around at a time when nobody paid attention to the club.

Feaster played two seasons. Both years the Wildcats finished top two. Hardly propping them up during the lean years.

For me, it's Crawford.

Reply #875865 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Reply #875866 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"Ricky Grace right now, but Cotton when his careers over I'd say, guys still got some years in him yet."

This seems like the most reasonable answer right now.

If Cotton keeps on the trajectory he is right now, there's gonna be a lot of lists he'll be on top of by the time he's done.

Reply #875867 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Has to be Grace, Cotton is still playing?

Reply #875868 | Report this post

Peter  
Years ago

As for Perth though, agree it's Ricky Grace

Reply #875873 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

Ricky Grace for mine and a close second to James Crawford. Cotton by careers end will be the GOAT but to be truly iconic he needs a cool nick name real soon.

"The Alabamma Slammer" "Chairman of the Boards" "Black Pearl" are all iconic.

Bryce "nothin but" Cotton doesn't have the same ring to it.

Any ideas??

Reply #875899 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

For 36ers

Could Loggins be included from Bearcat days? Adelaide haven't "distanced themselves" from West Adelaide Bearcats. It was a merger as it was becoming too costly for West to field a stand alone team, from memory.

Al Green’s record for game high scoring was for WST, wasn’t it?

Reply #875906 | Report this post

X ball  
Years ago

The Amazing Grace ! He stung like a bee and floated like a butterfly!

The excitement he brought to the league was unbelievable. The opposition couldn't wait to stifle him on any day and that’s how the league was so great.

Cotton is now the excitement machine, this year I suspect he will do more damage to teams, I know I would be wanting to beat him if I am a player.

Roll on! With so many new players, you just feel this league is now going to be Cracking !

Reply #875908 | Report this post

Bol  
Years ago

"Ricky Grace can steal the hub caps off a moving car"

Cal Bruton was a great player and so iconic in his ability to promote the team. Was he an import when playing for the wildcats? If so, he would be in my top three most iconic.

Reply #875911 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"It's "iconic" import, though, not "best" import."

And?

How exactly do you suggest that a basketballer player becomes iconic? By being totally shit and only playing a few games?

I'd say that the most iconic import, to play for the Cats, was JC. The guy is one of the true legends of the NBL.
But the most iconic Wildcat Import is Grace. No contest in my personal opinion.

Reply #876000 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"I'd say that the most iconic import, to play for the Cats, was JC."

JC was a (Geelong) "Supercat" before he became a (Perth) "Wildcat" and was rather iconic at both clubs. For Perth, I agree with Grace getting the iconic nod but at Geelong I reckon Cal just takes that honour from JC, too.

For both clubs, JC definitely one of their best(s).

Reply #876021 | Report this post

D2.0  
Years ago

"JC was a (Geelong) "Supercat" before he became a (Perth) "Wildcat""

Correct
And that was my point. Highly iconic cross his entire career, and would certainly get the nod had he spent all of it in one place.

And I suspect that some might forget just how sublime Grace was. He could do it all. He played in the era of some very exciting PGs across the NBL, but few delivered for as long as Grace.

And he's still around. Very few names have been so synonymous with the Wildcats as Ricky Grace.

Reply #876103 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"It's "iconic" import, though, not "best" import."

And?

How exactly do you suggest that a basketballer player becomes iconic? By being totally shit and only playing a few games?
Being around at a time when the league/team has more of a media footprint. Being more outgoing and charismatic. Getting lots of media promotion. Being on a team without much else going for it, thus becoming the centrepiece in the minds of the public.

Which is why I'd go Crawford over Grace for Perth. Grace was around longer, you can argue who the better player was over their careers, but Crawford was the Wildcats through the boom in the late 80s/early 90s.

JC was a (Geelong) "Supercat" before he became a (Perth) "Wildcat"
They were the Cats, not the Supercats, when Crawford played for them.

Reply #876107 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:39 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754