Titan
Years ago

36ers v Jackjumpers

No Withers.....

No clearance from OS club yet. Too funny.

Topic #49456 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

JvG you've done it again!

Reply #877068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Withers out with soreness. Kai Sotto also out with soreness. Strange a 19 year old kid has to be rested the whole preseason lol.

Reply #877069 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

Yeah, soreness is just spin. Definitely not the case - heard it from someone on the road with the team this morning that clearance still hasn't come through yet.

Reply #877070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

WWithers playing.

Reply #877071 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He's suited up and about to step on the court?

Reply #877072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Withers is playing. Stfu

Reply #877073 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Back in your box Titan. Better luck next time

Reply #877074 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sotto's already played, drop the BS. If clearance hadn't come through yet he couldn't have played at all and he has.

Reply #877075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Titan shut the fuck up

Reply #877077 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

I stand corrected - looks like the clearance has come in after all.

Zodiac - I never said anything about Sotto not being cleared.

Reply #877078 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers social media team trolling Titan :)

Reply #877079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sotto would not be getting minutes anyway if Adelaide are playing full strength. Him not suiting up is a non factor.

Reply #877080 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Well, this isn't going great

Reply #877081 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

Would have been better off not suiting him.... :|

Reply #877082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Told you all that the pelicans fked Magnays frame.
Geez he looks good now.

Sad for Perth it took him a year to slim back,down.

Reply #877083 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bairstow has lost 15kg

Reply #877084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Magnay was eating food prepared by the same chefs who are feeding Zion. He looks much more agile now like his Brisbane days.

Reply #877085 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How long into the season until CJ is sacked?

Reply #877086 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Years ago

Stay capping titan, tell ur "sources" they need to lift.

Reply #877087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If he keeps walking around networking events bragging about being 1 of 3 head coaches that Kelly is paying this season, not long!

Reply #877088 | Report this post

Titan  
Years ago

I'll be honest, my sources were earlier in the week.

Tried to bluff, got it wrong, I’ll cop it on the chin for that.

Reply #877089 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

To be fair to Titan, the 36ers website announced he wasn't playing. https://www.adelaide36ers.com/news/nbl-blitz-or-game-3-roster-update

Reply #877090 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks was such a terrible signing.
Should have thrown money at armstrong

Reply #877091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sixers need to give Kai Sotto some game time. Getting slaughtered without him lol.

Reply #877094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clear that the pelicans s&c team sucks ass.

Reply #877095 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

I'll be honest, my sources were earlier in the week.

Tried to bluff, got it wrong, I'll cop it on the chin for that.

Fair enough.

Reply #877097 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Not very often you see a 36ers team get down big early and actually come back. Start was obviously terrible, but it's been an encouraging recovery

Reply #877098 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That camera work at the very end, oh my lord someone lost the plot

Reply #877100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks and Kenyon are horrible signings. JJs need defensive four four. Sixers could surprise if all stay healthy. CJ has started quite nicely and side looks well balanced.

Reply #877101 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Well, I'm impressed. 33 to 12 at quarter time, then chipping away at the lead to end up winning by 2.
King came up with some big plays at the end.
Hannahs looks like a good one. Withers not so much.
12 assists for McCarron.
Obviously Adams and Magnay pretty much only played the first quarter, when all the damage was done, so it's as much an indictment on their lack of depth that we were able to come back.

Reply #877102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Current vs better local options that were available

6'0 Weeks / 6’5 Armstrong
6’5 Kenyon / 6’6 Harris
6’8 Mikhailovskii / 6’6 Harris
6’7 Bairstow / 6’8 Pozoglou
6’8 Krslovic / 6’11 Gak

Some other options
Robateau - untested
Adel - gamble.
Hulland - limited exp
Etc

Missed options not signed in nbl
Moller
Kyei
Fotu
Kay
Motum
Mathiang
Brandt
Maker

Reply #877104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Weeks - 2 years
Krslovic - 2 years
Bairstow - 3 years
Kenyon - 1 year

Reply #877106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many list cloggers on the Jackjumpers.

Reply #877107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So many guys with chips on their shoulders. Coach should be benching half that team.
Sixers looked terrible in the first hslf. Magnay makes the JJ's look far better than they are in reality.
Taipans have the spoon locked in.
JJ's should be embarrased losing that one. Pathetic. Roth should go before CJ.Magette took 2 x 3 pointers about 3m behind the 3pt line. Resulting in Sixers scoring 5 pts. Dumb.

Reply #877114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Magnay played the 2nd half Adelaide would of lost by double digits.

Reply #877115 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Magnay will be the difference maker for JJs - if he becomes a beast, that'll tie directly to their fortunes.

If he doesn’t, it’s too much on the imports to do everything IMO.

Hannahs will be aggressive for Adelaide, still think height/physical strength may prevent him having open shot that he needs - Adelaide will need to open those spots for him.

Good game by King today. Hard to say anything about Withers yet.

Still more than ever Adelaide looked like it lacks that defensive big, especially when IH wasn’t on the floor.

Reply #877121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of those signings above for those lengths is tragic if true.

Reply #877122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

None of the 4 named players should have even been selected. Purchase in Perth. Dufelmeir Sixers. Sapwell Phoenix. Mines great player should be in the NBL. Yet Roth deliberately chooses to overlook them all.
He wants yes men that play for him and surrounds himself with yes men as well. Brookhouse leading the pack.
Once the gloss wears off they will need to win and keep winning.
How are the sponsor boxes selling? Los of jjs signs on the unsold ones.

Reply #877126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#126 I believe Purchase and Dufelmeier (maybe spell his name right mate) were spoken to by the JJs. They chose to go elsewhere. PLayers do that sometimes. Coaches never get the dream list they want.

Roth's assistants are far from yes men and will provide honest feedback. They are the right people and highly respected.

Often sponsor signs are completed just prior to season starts. Or contracts are set up that they only apply to their home games not NBL events. You clearly don't know how business agreements work either.

But thanks for your input all the same :)

Reply #877129 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Shocking 1st quarter, but thankfully the team pulled together after that and played quite well. Magnay was a beast in that first quarter. Hopefully it wakes Isaac up so he's ready from game one!

How good is it having a floor leader and ACTUAL point guard?!?! Great signing that one. He is exactly what the Sixers have been missing forever.

Need to see how Hannahs goes against some of the more elite teams once they start game-planning, but he looked pretty good in this one. Adams fouled out in 13 mins and at least a couple of those fouls were him chasing Hannahs around. Hoping he turns into the second coming of Kevin Lisch (Perth years)!

I liked the look of Withers defensively. Despite being short of match fitness, he worked hard and I thought he showed good foot-speed on the perimeter and enough strength to win some tough contested rebounds. Had a nice block too!

Imports certainly look a clear upgrade on the last two seasons!

Who thinks the starting lineup tonight is the most likely starting 5 for the real season? I would think Humphries, DJ and McCarron are locks. Any chance Hannahs is used as a Sixth man instead? Would King and/or Dech start in place of Hannahs and/or Withers?

Reply #877131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rest adsure purchase and Duflmeir were not spoken to. The signs? Surely you woukd want them all on tv for the Blitz.
Thanks for your guesses.

Reply #877139 | Report this post

Magette looked really good, except when he was jacking 3's from mid-court, but is it just me or does he travel a lot? Usually around the top of the key as he's looking to pass, got this triple-stutter step thing that looks real bad.

Reply #877143 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Most likely I'd start the 5 used last night.
Withers is unfit, but he might be good, when fit.

Reply #877147 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

You can't operate on the expectation that your club can score any FA it wants and if a player didn’t sign with JJs it means JJs didn’t pursue the player. That’s just not reality.

It’s tough being the first year and building a new roster, and it’s Tasmania - players won’t be chomping at the bit to join a first year (unlikely to compete for championship) team, nor would players choose it for the "location" unless the family is there. And then you’ve got 9 other clubs to compete with for signatures. That means JJs have to spend big on imports and pay overs for players looking for bigger opportunities. And then hope they don’t get trumped. Have to give JJs some leeway!

Reply #877153 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

How long does this blitz go for? Seems a little bit too long for me and games far too spaced apart. Not genuinely complaining about pre-season coverage that is free, but was pretty unwatchable in my opinion. I would be putting time and money in to something else but am often guilty of flippancy.

Reply #877154 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Beantown,

I'm guessing something like

Humphries, DJ, Withers, Hannahs, McCarron as the starting 5.

Then when Humphries is off, DJ to C, Withers slips to be the PF slash extremely undersized C defensive cover; Dech covers SF.

Hannahs as a sixth man spark plug off the bench would be awesome - however 36ers need him to be starting, and starting quality at that.

They don’t really have much shooting but they do have a glut of guards if you consider Tad, King, Dech off the bench. Wouldn’t put any of those as a starting SG, and wouldn’t be adding more bench guards to the scenario either.

Withers looks good defensively, we need him to be a scoring option too though.

It’s odd that we have Malou, Sotto, Bairstow, Harris. Really the only minutes left have to go to Malou.

Reply #877155 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

MC - as much as it's easy to criticise and not understand the logistical constraints, I completely agree with you - seems too long and drawn out and feels like they could schedule games better without having "no games" days.

Why have games on a other weekdays but not Wednesday last week? Why not Monday and Tuesday this week?

It sort of extends to the season proper - I understand Thu-Sun as a general standard.

But why no games Monday 27th Dec that is a public holiday?

Or the wed/thu evenings 29th/30th Dec?

Why not Monday 3rd Jan - also a public holiday?

But Monday 10th and Tuesday 11th they schedule when most people are back at work....

They don’t seem to have filled some pretty perfect days for people to go to the basketball, especially if you’re looking for something to take the kids to in the summer.

Reply #877157 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

KET and Camel, I tend to think that the starting 5 used yesterday is what they'll start the season with too. King has looked quite good in preseason, so perhaps you could make a case for him starting if you're worried about Hannahs being hunted on defence due to his size. Probably best just to start him for now though and adjust if necessary.

I feel like the Sixers are in much better shape depth-wise this season, being able to bring Dufelmeier, King and Dech off the bench. Even Bairstow is another guy who is experienced and fairly skilled. I feel like he is currently the first big man off the bench based on preseason, but perhaps Malou will step up and demand some minutes too? With Sotto also there for emergencies, they can at least dish out a few more fouls in the paint! I wonder if DJ might be a little more aggressive defensively if he knows there's someone competent who can replace him if he gets in foul trouble?!?!

Thoughts on Nic Marshall? Is he an upgrade on Mudronja?

Reply #877168 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marshall is a different player to Mudronja.

But based on his limited time with the Mount and the few pre-season games he does appear more equipped to play NBL (longer frame). Marshall was the last of 3 DPs signed, Mudronja offered a roster spot by Joey, no doubt due to the advice of his assistant Jantke.

Think the Sixers have certainly upgraded at Point and in depth without Mudronja taking a roster spot.

Reply #877172 | Report this post

Pug  
Years ago

You can't judge Mudronja on last year. JVG instructing Coach Henry not to play him as one of Joeys boys. Almost ruined his career. I’d rather judge on what the Olympic bronze medal coach sees in him that a basketball manager that has overseen the demise of endless teams. Let’s wait and see.

Reply #877200 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I hope Alex gets another crack via the Hawks. It was a tough environment to be in at the Sixers last year. Sloan quitting on the team a few games in meant that Alex was thrown in the deep end. I remember early in a game against Sydney, he was somehow being asked to bring the ball up the floor with Casper Ware dogging him all the way and then get us into our offence! Not surprisingly, he had his pocket picked a couple of times, which would have really dented his confidence.

I think it was a mistake to give him a full contract, because expectations were raised too high. He was really still at DP level and too much was expected of him too soon. He should have been given longer to develop behind the scenes and given smaller roles in games that he was ready to succeed at. Doyle was never thrown to the Wolves like that! Same with most other young guys over the years.

I've liked what I've seen of Marshall though, so we have at least managed to snag another talented young SA guy. He looked good a couple of years ago when he played a couple of minutes for the Sixers too. Just a shame Mud isn't sitting on the end of the bench with Marshall, learning from the pros in training. I think both guys can be good NBL players in time if they continue to develop.

Reply #877201 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Dusty is the same height as Goulding and Harvey.
I heard in the broadcast he was in contention for MVP in the G league. He'll be starting.
Withers looked good defensively and made some nice passes. Looks under control. But his fitness was poor. Surely by now you’re ready to go. Yes manage minutes etc but if needed should be able to play a full game.

Reply #877212 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Watching McVeigh play so well, made me think it seems unlikely Conner Henry can coach. (His favororite player, Pinder, is only moderate) and we will be better this season.

Reply #877220 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

McVeigh has had 9/6/1, 12/5/0 and 11/3/1
He hasn't done anything we didn't already know he could do

Reply #877222 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Watching McVeigh play so well, made me think it seems unlikely Conner Henry can coach

We found that out way back in 2008.

Reply #877223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McVeigh was getting monstered on defence, he's one of these players that for every bucket they score they let one in, at best, end result is a minus. He can look good but imo it’s fools gold.

Reply #877224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most of the JJ's are fools gold unfortunately.

Reply #877240 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754