koberulz
Years ago

RAC Arena Planning to Ban All Bags

Email from the Wildcats just now:

RAC Arena is moving towards no bags at events. If you must bring a bag, please make sure its smaller than A4 in size.

I can only assume this is part of a plan to ban women, but obviously they can't say that outright.

It also blows my mind that a sealed plastic bottle is the only way to get water in. We're banning single-use plastics everywhere else, but making them compulsory at major venues?

Topic #49487 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Qudos in Sydney has banned bags for season, it's a sham. Women are only allowed a large wallet size on entry. If you turn up with a bag you then have to pay for it to be put in a cloak room.

Reply #877669 | Report this post

sf99  
Years ago

This has been the case for some time.

Good move. Don't need rucksacks taking up legroom.

Reply #877677 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Something they're planning to do in the future cannot possibly have been the case for some time.

Reply #877678 | Report this post

Wilbur  
Years ago

The max A4 size bag has been a thing there for at least 3 or 4 years

Reply #877680 | Report this post

sf99  
Years ago

try again Kobe. Go Cats.

Reply #877682 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

They don't teach reading comprehension anymore, huh?

Reply #877684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahahahha

Reply #877689 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

The max A4 size bag has been a thing there for at least 3 or 4 years

Since 2017 from memory.

Reply #877693 | Report this post

Grovermister  
Years ago

basically you can no longer bring a nappy bag for your babies/toddlers?

so much for 'family friendly'

hmmm

Reply #877701 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

Yeah I was gonna ask what you're supposed to do with an infant? We can't go anywhere without a bag full of nappies, snacks, changes of clothes, water. Might only be 2 hours but for a kid thats a long time.

Reply #877707 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm guessing they'll still have a cloak facility for bags larger than A4 size.

As for the water, there's free water refill stations inside the arena, so it's possible to bring an empty re-usable water bottle and fill it up if you don't want to use plastic.

Reply #877712 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

That's bad, not surprised because they want you to buy their overpriced food and drinks.

What’s next on the ban list?

Reply #877721 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I'm telling you guys. Australia is a nanny state. Country run by morons.

Reply #877722 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

At Qudos it might depend on which specific security person you deal with, but they seem slightly more lenient with parents re: a bag that is a little larger than the allowed size, but it's still far from ideal if you have a little one.

Reply #877727 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

"I'm telling you guys. Australia is a nanny state. Country run by morons."

I went to an NFL game NY/NJ in 2013 and they made people cloke their bags.

Reply #877729 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

At Qudos it might depend on which specific security person you deal with, but they seem slightly more lenient with parents re: a bag that is a little larger than the allowed size
According to a post upthread, Qudos is now banning all bags.

Reply #877731 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

I know John Cain Arena let you bring a bag that fits under your seat. It's good enough for 600ml drinks and snacks.

Reply #877732 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

IIRC that's no different from last season - large wallet size bag. My wife is diabetic and carries a medication bag that is slightly larger than a wallet and that has been OK. You would be stretching to get a nappy and a couple of wet wipes in it though if you have a baby/toddler.

Reply #877733 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Years ago

Only solution is bring 2 bags if you got nappies and wipes for a baby, then have a food bag.

Reply #877736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I went to an NFL game NY/NJ in 2013 and they made people cloke their bags."
Is there a special gizmo for that?

Reply #877741 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

haha, got me

Reply #877742 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smuggling a case into the NBL just got harder.

Reply #877745 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Entering NBA arenas in the US via airport-style metal detectors (body scanners?) will never feel normal to me.

We have it good here.

Reply #877746 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

If you have medical or disability equipment, no venue can prevent you taking this equipment in.

Would include diabetic equipment, breathing apparatus, mobility aids, artificial heart spares.

They will lose if they try to enforce this without reasonable accommodations for these needs.

Reply #877751 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Years ago

What are the rationale for these measures?

Is it safety? People are tripping over each other's bags?

Is it security? Don't want people taking a bagful of C4 into the building?

Is it revenue? More drinks and snax to sell?

Reply #877753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It also blows my mind that a sealed plastic bottle is the only way to get water in. We're banning single-use plastics everywhere else, but making them compulsory at major venues?"

Just bring your own empty vessel and fill it once you are inside from the water fountains

Reply #877755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydney, half size A-4 bag, walk through scanners, never open on time and as rude as they can be. I've had a few choice words over the times.

Reply #877757 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

"It also blows my mind that a sealed plastic bottle is the only way to get water in. We're banning single-use plastics everywhere else, but making them compulsory at major venues?"

Just bring your own empty vessel and fill it once you are inside from the water fountains
I recall that being a stated option initially, although it doesn't come up anymore (and I'd frankly be surprised if there weren't at least size limits on even that). If they are still allowing this, it needs to be made way more obvious.

Reply #877763 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

I can confirm that it's been that way at Qudos for a while now. My wife was forced to cloak a very small backpack, yet many women with handbag twice the size we’re allowed to take them. When asked what the difference was, the security person’s response was literally, "the number of straps."

Faced the same issue with opened water bottles as well, though some security guards will be more lenient than others. Had one such gentleman suggest that it could be vodka, so I necked it in front of him and proceeded in with my empty bottle (...slightly tipsy).

Reply #877766 | Report this post

Senator11  
Years ago

Can confirm this has been the case for a few years for Wildcats, with a cloak room outside. It does suck for taking kids, pretty ludicrous actually.

Funnily enough, they let you bring in your own food and big bags for Hopman Cup, yet one time my wife was running late for the Cats game after work, bought subway, and the bouncers made her wait outside and shovel it down before they would let her in.

I'm not a member anymore as I have a 2 year old going on 3 and there's no way I'd survive taking him without a bag, the food he likes, hi water bottle and nappies. Pretty sad to be honest.

Reply #877768 | Report this post

JB  
Years ago

Bags are completely banned in stadiums in many countries around the world, usually with the exception of bags for under 2 (nappies, etc) or medical care. A bit like the exception for 100ml liquid through airport security - formula is fine.
A bit sad Australia is heading that way too. At least in Australia you can bring a water bottle. You can't in many countries, as folk can’t be trusted to not throw full bottles at players / officials.

Reply #877775 | Report this post

4 real  
Years ago

But boy oh boy, you can pour a beer out over a player!

Reply #877778 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

"If you have medical or disability equipment, no venue can prevent you taking this equipment in.

Would include diabetic equipment, breathing apparatus, mobility aids, artificial heart spares.

They will lose if they try to enforce this without reasonable accommodations for these needs."

Oh yeah, just to be clear, this has never been an issue re: my wife's medication (at Qudos at least, we've run into some idiots, especially in some international airports). She carries a slightly bigger bag than is needed for just her meds though, but it's never been an issue outside of sometimes needing to have it inspected.

Reply #877788 | Report this post

Typical W.A... Hide under the doona everyone!

Reply #877789 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Just bring your own empty vessel and fill it once you are inside from the water fountains" Can't do that in most venues. Certainly not true bottles.

Reply #877790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RAC Arena exposing the idiots one bag at a time

Reply #877986 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I seen on channel 7 Perth that RAC arena for Fridays game was introducing a quiet room for those with autism so they could escape if they become overwhelmed which is a great initiative.

As for this enforced rule, wasn't this brought in due to the happenings at the Ariane Grande concert, definitely feels like a fear of taking C4 into the stadium.

Personally I'd rather be able to take my bigger bag into the venue if it gets put through an airport X-ray machine rather than wait 30+ minutes to get my bag from the cloak room

Reply #878019 | Report this post

Annoynmous  
Years ago

Brought merchandise before game which they put into a carry bag. Then wasnt allowed to take bag into stadium

Reply #878022 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

That's surprisingly unprofessional.

Perhaps the best idea would be to pay a small deposit and arrange to pick it up after the game. If they send the merch sellers home after 3/4 break, they’ll have to change this or pay more for wages in future.

Contact the club and ask what their position is. It seems amateurish to penalise fans for giving them money.

Reply #878040 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Years ago

Are you not allowed to carry the bag itself or the merchandise as well in the stadium?

Reply #878042 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

Lovebroker

Imagine, if you will, a venue/team that wouldn't let you put on team merch to watch the home team, and made you keep wearing a generic shirt in the visiting team’s colours.

The whole scenario is weird, possibly just for the sake of selling more drinks n food.

Reply #878088 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:53 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754