CT
Years ago

Homicide Foot Locker Pacific Creative Director of Basketball

What in the actual fuck?

Respect where respect is due if he managed to talk his way into whatever on earth this paid position is supposed to be..

https://share.nbl.com.au/nbl/news/corey-williams-becomes-foot-locker-pacific-creative-director-of-basketball

"The intersection between basketball, fashion, sneakers, and culture has never been lost on Corey 'Homicide' Williams.

Now, the 2010 NBL MVP will have a chance to express himself after being appointed as the Creative Director of Basketball for Foot Locker Pacific."

Topic #49573 | Report this topic

Perthworld  
Years ago

Wow, having a rich guy like you,/give you a job you're not qualified for and be a reference on your CV can do wonders if you have no talent.

Reply #880217 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Typical Aussie Tall Poppy Syndrome. Wouldn't expect anything different.

Reply #880218 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Doesn't seem ridiculous to me to say that he’s at an intersection of basketball and fashion. Could be a fairly ceremonial position too. Good on him.

Reply #880221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Wow, having a rich guy like you,/give you a job you're not qualified for and be a reference on your CV can do wonders if you have no talent."

So how do you know anything that you seem to think is true, is true? Sounds like you are stating 'facts' based on jealousy. Or simply being an arsewipe. Prove he has no talent. Unqualified. Used on a CV. Otherwise STFU.

Reply #880224 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Congratulations for him he's worked hard to earn what he’s got.

Reply #880227 | Report this post

BeeGee  
Years ago

Agreed with Isaac, great work by Homicide and he definitely appears to be at the intersection of fashion and basketball, which means this position makes sense.

Presumably he will continue commentating as well?

Reply #880229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey is easily my favourite NBL commentator, maybe only Casey is better. Great to see him be rewarded with this new role, he is after all a fashion icon of the game similar to Russell Westbrook.

Reply #880231 | Report this post

RobT  
Years ago

"Overtime" was heavily promoting a sportswear store last season. Don't think it was Foot Locker. Won't Homicide's appointment and his commentating clash, or have they dropped the 'other' one?

Reply #880232 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

JD sports sneaker of the week... oh wait

Reply #880236 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Prove he has no talent

Easy, listen to any of his commentary.

Reply #880240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

proud? Proud of what?

Reply #880245 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Easy, listen to any of his commentary." What does that have to do with talent in the business world?

Reply #880262 | Report this post

UseTaHoop  
Years ago

An almost indecipherable job title.

Who knows if he's qualified?

If he’s just promoting sportswear sold by a retail store and getting views on social media, he is probably well qualified.

Reply #880276 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Exactly. Sounds like a role that suits him well. Good for him.

Reply #880277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good on homicide, and footlocker is sponsoring the player of the game so I don't see any conflict of interest in regards to JD Sports

Reply #880288 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What's difficult about the job title? Foot Locker is the company. Pacific is the region. Creative Director is a position, and Basketball is a sub-designation. Creative Director (Basketball) is simple enough. It's likely/possible that by the time you segment it that far (in this region and basketball), it's part-time, project-based or ceremonial. In the US for say Nike, there'd be a team performing this function, plus agencies with multiple creative directors.

Reply #880294 | Report this post

TheDawg  
Years ago

Hopefully means he no longer has time to commentate.

Totally agree with Bogut's recent rinse about his lack of knowledge when commentating.

Reply #880295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A good example of positivity, believing in yourself, potentially networking and speaking things into existence.

A lot of athletes struggle to find their place post their sporting career and its good to see Corey land on his feet.

I'm not a fan of his in game commentary. I think he has improved with the hot take, talking head type role although this Foot Locker gig seems like something he would be well suited to.

Reply #880296 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Years ago

Hopefully means he no longer has time to commentate.

Totally agree with Bogut's recent rinse about his lack of knowledge when commentating.

Where was this? Finally someone in the media calls him out.

Look this role does suit Corey but it stems from him being shoehorned into a commentary gig in the first place because Justin and by extension LK liked him when he was PG for the Tigers. He isn't qualified to be in a booth.

Reply #880313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly, Footlocker have no idea what they're doing, all of the successful businessmen on Hoops.com.au told me.

Reply #880314 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I don't understand the hate for Homicide. His passion for the league is pure. He cares about people and basketball. So what if he's a bit over the top about it sometimes? So what if some of his takes are outright wrong? So what if he isn't the world's most knowledgeable commentator>

I think if Overtime lost Homicide, you'd notice. If the NBL lost homicide, you'd notice.

In a league that has lacked personality, controversy, and interest in a long time, he has been reliable for all of those things. He's someone who has created his own reality to live in and this position with Footlocker is just another example of that. He knows and has a name in basketball. he's always had his foot in fashion. He's not nearly as dumb as people make him out to be. Good on him for this position. let's see what he does with it.

Reply #880317 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Justinian Jessup was being played at point guard and things didn't go great then I hope the hate would be directed at the coach not at Jessup.
Homicide is an asset to the NBL he just doesn't get used well a lot of the time. Not every part of that is his fault.

Reply #880323 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Good on him Homicide is a glorified hype man for the NBL and he does it well no matter what anyone thinks of him. He's playing a character. His job in part is to try and appeal to all the Aussies that worship the NBA but don't care for the NBL, there's plenty of them even a subset of those hate all the hype Giddey is getting from the Australian media not understanding for the media to survive it's now all about getting clicks.

This position probably doesn't mean much in terms of hours or qualifications but who cares if it does or doesn't? He's created a brand and Foot Locker have chosen to align themselves with his brand.

Reply #880324 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:36 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754