Anonymous
Two years ago

Adelaide 36ers vs Melbourne United

Really looking forward to this one. Can Adelaide back up their big win against the cats? Can Delly continue his curry like shooting streak? Will Kai Sotto get his ass off the pine?

Topic #49663 | Report this topic

RobT  
Two years ago

The obvious pick is MU by plenty. The intelligent pick is 'tell you after the game'.

I will pick MU (demonstrating my intelligence). Their 6 W's in a row and Adelaide's performances to date have not been impressive. So really, that alone should make them fave's, for this one.

For Adelaide, Bairstow, listed as a Forward, is their best Centre atm. Humphries and Sotto good backs-ups but no match for MU's Jo Lual-Acuil and Ariel Hukporti.

McCarron and Delly will be great to watch. Both have seen improvement over the last couple of games. Delly seems to have regained his touch and McCarron is finally settling into his role and running his team.

If DJ is up against Jack White I predict a low-scoring return from DJ

Hannahs and Withers need to contribute heavily for the 36ers to get an unlikely W over MU tonight.

Finally, the HC's. Vickerman's experience and his familiarity with the core of his roster and his familiarity with 36ers starting PG v CJ's debut season and his familiarity with Bairstow in his own roster.

Reply #882666 | Report this post

Tom  
Two years ago

First time going to an Adelaide game.. are tickets cheaper at the venue?

Reply #882682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

With Isaac Humphries out of this game with an injury I forecast that Kai Sotto will have a career high in points tonight.

Reply #882687 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Well he's hit the floor this time

Reply #882690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Ah that experiment is over.

Reply #882691 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Two years ago

Agada rocking Puma Delly1s

Reply #882693 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Delly 1's are Peak

Reply #882697 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Two years ago

Sorry yeah true

Reply #882698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Kai Sotto with a career high points performance. Massive posterisation on the best centre in the league JLA.

Reply #882699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Has the Filo army been sated now that Kai is getting a run?

Reply #882700 | Report this post

Ben  
Two years ago

Great marketing for HJs, but it's so bush league and cringey that we still have announcers encouraging the crowd to chant 'Hungry Jacks' during free throws.

Reply #882703 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Great assist to Sotto. Straight out of bounds

Reply #882704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Wasn't Sotos fault, the player had to come back at him, leave the kid alone, he’s actually done ok. PS, I’m not Filipino. To many of you have never played better than D grade..

Reply #882710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Still his TO

Reply #882711 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Two years ago

The hungry jacks promo is one of the best and funniest ideas the nbl have had, don't diss it

Reply #882712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Yes but not the way you previously explained it.

Reply #882713 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Same crap as usual. Hannahs has to be sent home, he is ok offensively, but can't defend. Withers can go too, can defend but offers f all offensively. Pretty poor roster balance wise and then don’t use a 3rd import.
DJ looks to have the sulks and Isaac injured as usual.
Hard to be excited by the season ahead

Reply #882714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Good to see the human victory cigar (Dalton) get a run.

Reply #882715 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Beating Perth might have got them a bit overconfident. It is not the achievement that it used to be.
Hard reality check today.

Reply #882716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Plus Perth smashed with COVID. Not the only team to come out flat after COVID

Reply #882717 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

So Adelaide weren't able to back up there win against Perth. Delly couldn't continue his Curry like shooting form. Kai Sotto played a solid 16 minutes and scored a career high 6pts and 8 boards.

Reply #882718 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Same crap as usual. Hannahs has to be sent home, he is ok offensively, but can't defend. Withers can go too, can defend but offers f all offensively. Pretty poor roster balance wise and then don't use a 3rd import.

Something has to be done, Hannahs only played 18 mins off of the bench and this was our 7th game (25% mark of the season) so he or Withers would need to be cut before Monday's game otherwise their contracts become fully guaranteed and cutting them after Monday's game would mean paying them out for the rest of the season.

Reply #882719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Hannahs needs to be sent home asap. I can't believe he actually played in the NBA. Then again Deng Adel has also played in the NBA. Withers seems like he would be good if he was playing a third import role, they need a superstar import like Scotty Hopson if they want to make playoffs.

Reply #882721 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Typical JVG imports, they don't play D.

Reply #882723 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

You know who doesn't play D. McCaron and Johnson.

Reply #882729 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Have to say disappointing in many aspects...thankful we secured the bearstove because without him it was almost all system.negative...he can't having huge demands or his body going to break..somehow the iceman got togetfitand stayhealthy.maybe wrap I ice because not much else to get excited about. Bruise free d played bytoomany..seems we get taken out of offended too easily and playing d not really much of a priority...needs to all aboard and buying chips together because once go seperate the seagulls just swarm the soft options and get their free fill... too many questions and not enough full stops and or any bloody stops... hurting to see

Reply #882732 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Agreed, without Cam we'd be even more cooked. And if he gets injured we will be.
DJ looks even less invested lately. Hopefully can bounce back but we all know he’s not playing D.
Withers offers some defence but that’s it.
If he stays then Hannahs has to go and we need a third import that can score, not sure the best position player but Hannahs can’t defend and his shooting has been disappointing.
Really worried about Humphries future after last years injuries too.
I can’t see management making moves but signing a third import is the minimum required.

Reply #882742 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

Season could getta very very ugly very quickly if injury strikes CB or even if Sunday gets hurt.. the cardboard is very bear mother bear said to the 3 Piggys or bears or whoever was in the house...ain't not huffing and puffing going in the sixers house
..looking very lackylustre..need something to change soon or soneone to step up up up big time. Where is b teys when you need the glue man.

Reply #882746 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Shano76 ask yourself why Hannah's is struggling? Is it because we don’t have a true point guard that can set up an offence?
I’m confident that Hannah’s and Withers can do more offensively, but we still run our offence through DJ and McCaron. Not ideal when the bloke who takes the 3rd most shoots shots at 15%. Also he hardly ever gets to the line.

Reply #882747 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

JVG is slaughtering this club. How many did imports can one man recruit?

Reply #882750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

6ers! Bloody hell. I'm just about done.

Reply #882751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Can this club promise much more, and deliver much less?

Reply #882753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

JVG has got to have the worst recruiting record ever in the nbl?

Reply #882754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Our imports are terrible... again

Reply #882755 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

JvG you've done it again!

(Never gets old.)

Reply #882760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

6ers never looked like it after QT in front of yet another disappointing crowd despite the constant cheap tickets on offer this year. Members must be frustrated to have paid full price.

Reply #882764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I think you'll find many members pull the pin this year and just hen pick a hand full of cheap ticket games going forward in hope JVG finally flukes picking a good import by then

Reply #882765 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Dusty Hannahs is just another G League journeyman who plays well in a league where defence is lazy and the threes are perfectly open but as soon as he's asked to play real basketball he's just not any good. NBL teams need to learn how to identify these guys and give them a big miss.

Withers is useless. looks like a basketball player but provides little in tangible results on court.

Everyone who is not Cam Bairstow can go home now.

Reply #882767 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Cam is club MVP at this rate

Reply #882768 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

100% ME... but we all know there'll be no changes.
You’ve summed Hannahs up in a nutshell... best shooter outside NBA my arse.. not even fit to hold CG43’s jockstrap

Reply #882769 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Kai Sotto had the best plus minus stat out of any of the Adelaide players. It is clear CJ needs to give him more minutes. I won't be surprised if CJ starts Kai with Bairstow and DJ comes off the bench as instant offense. Not like DJ even pretend to play any d.

Reply #882771 | Report this post

JT  
Two years ago

Sotto saw more time this game because his minutes could be matched against Lual Acuil Jnr and Hukporti, centres who are less likely to bully him around the court. He can't match-up against bigs with any strength, cannot stop anyone with genuine body strength getting from the low block to the hoop, they move through him like water.

Reply #882773 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Two years ago

Is Hannahs the problem? He is second on the team in scoring at an OK FG%. 3pt% is poor granted. He scored 12pts in 17 mins at 50% is that bad for his role?

He isn't a stud import, we built this team around DJ, Humphries and McCarron and rightly so given how much they earn.

If we are going for the complimentary import strategy you cannot blame the imports for not doing Cotton things.

Reply #882774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

#771 McCarron was also +7

Reply #882775 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Fair call Lovebroker but when you can't even play him proper minutes because he can’t guard anyone, and he’s your no 1 import, there’s a problem I reckon. And withers is worse

Reply #882777 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Hannah's defence is actually better the McCarrons and Johnson. At least he try’s. I’ll say it again 2 other NBL teams wanted Hannah’s.
Lover broker is on the money. You can’t have Your marquee signing shooting 12% and not getting to the foul line, Johnson his normal disinterested self and Humphries injury prone and hasn’t been and won’t be able to get service like he did from an amazing PG last year.

Reply #882778 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Why is Hannahs playing so little then?
Apart from Bairstow, no one is playing to expectation and he's injury prone so that doesn’t bode well.
Worried about Isaac and his injuries too.
I just think we need another gun scorer and if Hannahs can do that, that’s great. DJ, I’ve stuck up for him for years, but he looks even less engaged defensively and that’s saying something. If his offence dries up, he’s unplayable

Reply #882779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Humphries been injury prone all career, some players can play with minor injuries others can't. Hopefully Bairstow stays healthy, he gets injured a lot as well, he’s looking in tremendous shape though. JVG, shakes head, grr.

Reply #882781 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Because it's easier to blame an import on a 1 year deal v a marquee Aussie that’s signed for 3.
I like Mitch but he’s not a stud PG. He can’t get to the free throw line. He’s not a natural scorer. He’s a perfect 3rd fiddle do it all type. Adelaide have signed him to be our best player. Our leader.
Remember Mitch is also from that agent

Reply #882782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I'd be disinterested if I was DJ also, putting up with years of rubbish that has got so much worse since Kelly and JVG have arrived.

Reply #882792 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Come on DJ's always been paid very well and gets given a new 3 year deal every couple of years. If he opts out again at the end of this season hopefully the Sixers won't be stupid enough to give him yet another 3 year deal.

Reply #882793 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

I get all the thoughts re Mccarron etc but we are in season, and the only way to get better now, as is the Sixers tradition, is import changes.
If Mitch isn't a pg, is he a shooting guard or undersized 3?
The team just doesn’t look balanced or to have the offensive firepower to match the powerhouses.
I’d love to be wrong but with Withers and Hannahs as our imports, I can’t see us being successful at all.

Reply #882795 | Report this post

anon  
Two years ago

Many angles to the Sotto factor, on and off court.

Off court, obviously by noise at game when he scored, he brings people to the game, and from a social aspect would be ticking marketing's KPI’s pretty nicely.

On Court, there is a lot of work to be done, some not his fault. Why have a 7 footer inbound the ball when he struggles to run the court, he showed his "strength" is under the basket, but he takes a long time to get there. No confidence in ball handing, needs to learn of to set a screen, way understrength and looked like a rabbit in headlights. Offer no fear factor to opposition sides. He’s young, don’t expect miracles and be happy what he gets from the bench, he is not a starter unless 36ers get more injuries. Get him fit and strong and let him warm into games/league, his supporters need to stop putting pressure on him. He might be a solid NBL player in a few years.

Reply #882796 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Unfortunately the real way forward is to pay out a local end of bench guy and get an import PG or previous Josh Childress. Hope that an import PG can get more out of our current imports. Withers looks like he could be better. Hannah's needs to stop being tentative.
Mitch has always been a SG apart from on a star studded Melbourne United.

Reply #882797 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

I'd be curious as to what part is surprising for those that tipped Adelaide to be that top-4 type team.

Granted, Humphries has been injured/unfit for longer than expected. However, it was never going to be fast, one of the two major reasons why an import PF/C was important.

With that said, Bairstow has been considerably better than expected which covers for that loss a bit.

I don’t think McCarron was ever going to solve all our problems, and would be a lot more troubling if he could run riot with two decent wings that require defensive attention. Otherwise teams will just focus and stifle MM.

The revolving door of players and coaches are an inherent disadvantage. Trying to fill a roster with lots of "average players" without a defined role and all expecting time on court is an inherent disadvantage. The one thing about Perth rosters or a guy like Teys is that the players knew their roles, knew what to expect and contribute and makes it easier to create a balanced roster.

Speaking of balance roster - Adelaide doesn’t have that, nor a style to reflect whatever type of eclectic roster this is.

I’d have liked to see:

C Bairstow (whilst Humphries is injured)
F Athletic styled def PF
F Athletic defender/perimeter threat - could be a taller guard
G Shooter
G McCarron

With a DJ, Dech, Tad providing the bench portion of main rotation.

For CJ - follow the Smyth playbook - generate your defence from your offence, focus more on fast pace licence to shoot offence and less on tactics and slow motion ball.

Given what they have now - IMO bring in that athletic shooting guard that can play SF. Make Hannahs exercise a licence to shoot, and thrill, particularly from the perimeter, instead of driving into defence.

Move Withers to just about a full time PF role. Pair him with IH when IH returns, and pair Bairstow/DJ together.

Help space McCarron with Hannahs and Import, and bring Dech in to provide that 3&D from the bench.

At the moment they are one X factor scorer and some Hannahs licence to shoot away from achieving space for MM.

Once you start getting buckets it applies pressure on the opposition to score, and that’s where MM and Dech provides good defence and Bairstow/Withers provide that helpful hard work down low.

Reply #882799 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Great summary KET.

Reply #882801 | Report this post

Shano76  
Two years ago

Great insight KET. I really hope they do add a third import as there's talent, just not balance. I hope CJ gets a chance to shape next years roster and isn’t too harshly judged on this season.

Reply #882803 | Report this post

Just a fan  
Two years ago

Yep KET agreed, even with our imports now I think getting a athletic 3/4 will make a world of wonders. Then with the team being faster it will make MM look and play even better. I also think that if dusty starts to figure out how to find his three shots (not much of an excuse but it's still early) the team will look much better.

Reply #882812 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Before addressing some comments here I want to reiterate something: Sydney were lookimng at McCarron and they didnt like his asking price so they went for Jaylen Adams.

Understand that. JAYLEN ADAMS

Now we dont know if Adams was cheaper than McCarron or if the difference between the two was small enough to justify the get. But the fact remains, McCarron is vastly overpaid and we could have done much better.

Another massive JVG brainfart for all to behold.

""He isn't a stud import, we built this team around DJ, Humphries and McCarron and rightly so given how much they earn.""

He was billed as the best shooter outside of the NBA and you can be sure he was paid accordingly.

McCarron as I've discussed is overpaid.

""Because it's easier to blame an import on a 1 year deal v a marquee Aussie that's signed for 3.
I like Mitch but he’s not a stud PG. He can’t get to the free throw line. He’s not a natural scorer. He’s a perfect 3rd fiddle do it all type. Adelaide have signed him to be our best player. Our leader.""
"
Thats right. This is some classic JVG Hijinks. McCarron isnt a bad basketball player by any stretch but only an idiot pays him like the main guy on a team.

I’d love to be wrong but with Withers and Hannahs as our imports, I can’t see us being successful at all.""

Our goose is cooked this season.

""Get him fit and strong and let him warm into games/league, his supporters need to stop putting pressure on him. He might be a solid NBL player in a few years.""

I agree with this. I dont want Sotto to crash and burn, just his fans and countrymen. Theyre delusional.

Reply #882813 | Report this post

Lovebroker  
Two years ago

I'd be curious as to what part is surprising for those that tipped Adelaide to be that top-4 type team.

I am one of 'those'.

Granted, Humphries has been injured/unfit for longer than expected. However, it was never going to be fast, one of the two major reasons why an import PF/C was important.

I expected Humphries to be fit after an entire off season.

I did not expect a whole raft of new issues.

HE is expected to be out for another 3 weeks which would mean a third of the season gone (and thats in a delayed / postponement world).

But when fit he is a top C in the league, high teens points per game, top in blocks and field goal %.

Is that worth a roll of the dice?

With that said, Bairstow has been considerably better than expected which covers for that loss a bit.

Bairstow has been good, I was wrong to dismiss his recruitment.

I don't think McCarron was ever going to solve all our problems, and would be a lot more troubling if he could run riot with two decent wings that require defensive attention. Otherwise teams will just focus and stifle MM.

Bearing in mind we are talking about my perception before the season started. He was by far the best free agent, still young, experienced, can do a wide variety of things, knows how to win.

We haven't had that for a while (since Sobey), that is why I thought his coming in would greatly improve the backcourt.

I think he still will. He had a bad game last outing but do we too quickly forget about his performance against Perth? Are we too quick to judge the bad games?

He isn't a pure PGbut he is the best PG you can get in a combo.

On the matter of Withers, I have not fully worked out his place in the team yet.

Initially I saw some Justin Simon esque value where he would take the opposition best wings.

I don't think he is a bad player, but we could do better.

Reply #882814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Sotto while the highest paid player in NBL history certainly brings some relevance to the city of Adelaide.

Reply #882815 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

He ain't called money making Mitch for nothing. Good player but always over rated.

Reply #882816 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

#815 this is the funniest comment ever

Reply #882817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

McCarron is overpaid and overrated. Honestly I would rather have Kyle Adnam running the team.

Reply #882818 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Not only did the Sixers outbid the Kings for McCarron's services but we also gave him a 3 year deal and made him the sole captain of the team before he ever played a game for us. DJ & Teys were the co-captains last season.

Reply #882819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I think we all know the main reason we got McCarron is because he has the agent that allows JVG to get a side sling from

Reply #882821 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

I think we all know the main reason we got McCarron is because he has the agent that allows JVG to get a side sling from

Reply #882822 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

When this season ends, first item on the agenda needs to be showing JVG the door once and for all. Too many all-sizzle, no-steak signings and ideas. He's a marketer - if anything a snake oil salesman - and he has NO BUSINESS constructing a basketball team.

Actually all Sixers management has had their time now.

Reply #882823 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

JVG has since become a part-owner of the team so I would imagine it would be quite difficult to fire him.

Reply #882824 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Either owner goes broke, or shows JVG the door

Reply #882825 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

No sure that JvG plays in any games...surely it's all on the players and coaches for the on court system and structures..certainly appears lack of confidence and second guessing between players.. the gelling and jelly not smooth at all.. the no love for DJ is unfounded..how many times is he being given the ball when he works arses off to seal or set screen and rolls..he doing the 1% but seems to be the last option with 5 second to play..he needs far better service and delivery. Reflects team being very new no continuity.. we waited joey gone well some did. At joey had team playing with excitement and level of intestinal that was fun..

Reply #882826 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I love your intentional typos.

Reply #882827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Mojave King playing less than a couple of NBL1 plodders on his own team, ain't gonna make him happy. The NBA is looking a long way away right now. From Cairns to this shitshow must have him losing sleep.

Reply #882829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Maybe the issue is with King now? Fallen out rotation at two different clubs with different coaching staff's?

Reply #882831 | Report this post

Beantown  
Two years ago

Yeah, King needs to give the coach a reason to leave him out there. Harris is taking his minutes right now because of his defensive hustle. King has shown a nice shooting stroke on a few catch and shoot threes, but his defence has been average and his ball-handling needs to improve a lot so he can use his athleticism to attack off the dribble.

Reply #882836 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

So multiple full stop guy goes by Hermann now, still an idiot.

Reply #882841 | Report this post

Hermann  
Two years ago

So unkind anon. New Year give someone a chance ... think I make perfect sense...like you to put afullstop to your negativity because raisins question mark about your humidity .. my opion is my prerogative...

Reply #882844 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Two years ago

Hermann, you are nuts, see a therapist.

Reply #882855 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:37 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754