Zodiac
Two years ago

United vs Breakers Sun 20th Feb

Not a great advertisement for the league with United up by 40 at 3QT.

Topic #49762 | Report this topic

Sebastian  
Two years ago

What it also shows is basically this forum is an SA/W forum. No thread for last nights SEM v Bris game. Minimal for Illawarra v Cairns, 3/4 time today before even a thread on United v NZ. Also add since you have had to make a username (which I agree with) it's been very very quiet.

Reply #885421 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Forums are declining.

That said, Shamir must be at the end of the rope. Sure, they've been dealt a tough hand. But on paper it’s a good team. One that should at least be competitive. But too many basic errors defensively and no flow offensively. Breakers need to rebuild culture and Fearne or similar could do that.

Reply #885422 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Yeah it is very very quiet.. I'm almost missing the trolls.

Even before it was compulsory to have a username here i noticed hoops has been quiet this season in general. Maybe the reduced NBL TV coverage has lost a few fans? The average supporter isn't going to fork out for Kayo to watch their team

Reply #885423 | Report this post

Bol  
Two years ago

Im surprised Shamir has lasted this long. Covid certainly has bailed him out. Gotta feel for NZ it must be very mentally fatiguing to play on the road constantly. Delany is prime example looking at his decline

Reply #885424 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

The NBL essentially going Foxtel only was always going to kill interest in the league. I understand why the league did it financially but as someone who used to watch virtually every game on SBS on Demand I could barely give a stuff about the NBL anymore. The constant trolling by anons on here didn't help either.

On the Breakers I'm surprised Shamir has still got his job to be honest. Covid and Walsh have definitely hindered him but 2.5 years in he still hasn't really shown anything.

Reply #885427 | Report this post

Almost everything the Breakers do is pick and roll. United the best NBL I have ever seen at busting up pick and rolls. Ili is the master and Delly not far behind.

Was never going to end well.

Reply #885428 | Report this post

EssenX  
Two years ago

Yes, the Breakers offence and defence are both one dimensional. Pick and roll offensively, and switch everything defensively (soft switching at that!).

I think Shamir and Maor are good at player development but X's and O’s At this level they have not been good at all.

Reply #885429 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

With Gleeson gone and goorg much in decline, Vickerman is by far the best coach available.

Reply #885454 | Report this post

Bullets  
Two years ago

Was at the game today. United led by 10 at quarter time and you could see that was just the beginning.
I do feel for the Breakers having been away from their home fans for 2 years but their effort today wasn't good enough. A lot of it is clearly attitude/effort related but I think it’s time Shamir starts to shoulder more of the blame. Understand his reputation for player development but he’s coached poorly and I think he’s begun to lose the players. On paper they have a decent roster but it’s clear several Breakers (particularly Delaney) have regressed this year. I worry about their future if they don’t turn things around.

Reply #885463 | Report this post

Lawndale  
Two years ago

I don't know what you guys were expecting ppl to post about this game, was a non event

Reply #885470 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Even great teams are only good on the road. I don't think Shamir is a basketball savant or anything but the Breakers have been dealt an incredibly tough hand two years in a row with no home games. In a normal year with the guys they have I feel they are in the top 4 hunt.

Reply #885473 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

NZ were always going to be swimming against the tide when it was announced that they would have zero home games this season.
The season before last they came awfully close to making the playoffs despite a horrendous run of injuries and things looked to be coming together.
Covid-19 has been a kick in the nuts for NZ but they haven't scrimped on their roster and should be a lot more competitive than they have been.

One would think that next season if able to play on a level field Shamir will have to deliver some results to the owners and fans otherwise his tenure may be up.
Judd Flavell, Zico Coronel, Rob Beveridge and Aaron Fearne would all be decent options if Walsh did pull the pin.

Reply #885479 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

United definitely have it over NZ this year

However, people underestimate how hard it must be to live on the road when everyone else is playing home games.

I'm holding judgment on Shamir until he's had at least one more legit season

Reply #885480 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Agree dunkman that Vickerman is coaching very well. It helps that he has a very good group of players but he is doing very well managing them. Every year someone from United seems to step up, this year Acuil is putting his hand up to be a boomer and this can only be because of the way Vickerman is managing his team. Two years ago
I didn't know if he could go to this next step but he has. Should be a future boomers coach.

Reply #885510 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I think there's always been an asterisk on Vickerman somewhat, but he may be in the middle of erasing it

What I mean is, yes, Vickerman has achieved stellar results. A championship with NZ. 4 completed seasons with United- 2 titles, 1 runner up, and 1 time denied a GF birth by reffing.

But he's always had good rosters.

United's always been big spenders, and always had a roster than most people expected to win the title or go very close. He's achieved that 4 years in a row, but I've often wondered what would happen without such a star studded roster.

This year United weren't expected to make the playoffs, yet they're on top halfway through the season. Very good result so far.

Reply #885512 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Sydney have had good rosters for one GF appearance. Vickerman is the man at present.

Reply #885537 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Fair point. Plenty of teams have failed despite talent.

United themselves didn't even win a playoff game after the rebrand from Tigers, until Vickerman coached their 4th season.

If it hadn't been for that absolute abomination of a reffing performance in Game 3 in Sydney in 19-20, United would've played 4 GF's in a row, for either 2 or 3 titles. Hard to argue with that record, talented rosters or not.

Reply #885558 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754