Boomer
Two years ago

NBL1 West APRIL

Cracking round to open the season and already some interesting storylines

Mandurah Magic 0-2 on the weekend. Turner going 7-20 in game 1 and 0-6 in game 2. Will need a lot more from him for them to be the contender they set out to be.

Buccs 2-0 to start the season. Granted one of those wins was against Slammers who somehow seem even weaker than they were in 2021. They welcome back Liam Hunt who was instrumental in their OT win against Magic. Great to see him back in the League.

Probably expected more from East Perth given their signings. They looked a bit all over the shop. Cockburn pounded the crap out of them.

its going to be a very long year for Slammers.

Kalamunda have a lot of work to do to get cohesion in their roster. Got pounded by a Redbacks team that were not at full strength

Giants played a less than full strength lightning and won comfortably in the end. New signing Jesse Ghee looks the real deal. Malek was handy as was Ford. Lightning missing Ben Lee and Taliaferro who by all accounts can fill it up from outside.

Flames looked impressive. Nelson has come in on fire and gives them a scoring punch they didnt quite have last year. New import Walker is legit.

Hawks and Senators slugged it out and Hawks holding on in the end after having a big lead earlier in the game. Michaels was cooking dropping 37.

Tigers and Wolves wasnt the best game to watch with a relatively low score but Wolves showed some potential with Turnage and Wade combining for 40+. Pesava had a shocker shooting 15% from the floor for his first game in the green. Tigers lead by Black with 21. Will need Vigor and Hayes back before they realistically compete. Williams returning from College will help their depth also.

early contenders look to be Flames, Hawks and Senators. Buccs, Wolves, Redbacks and Giants will be in the mix. Lightning and Tigers should be thereabouts once at full strength. Will be interesting to see how things progress with the Magic and if they can get their trio of Turner, Bowie and Armour really firing on all cylinders

Topic #49937 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Two years ago

I don't think we need monthly threads anymore, activity is way down since usernames put an end to all the shitposting.

Reply #889284 | Report this post

Boomer  
Two years ago

point taken Perthworld.

What were your thoughts on round 1?

Reply #889299 | Report this post

Boomer  
Two years ago

apologies! i mean koberulz haha

Reply #889301 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Clicking on a box score link under results
at nbl1.com.au leads to a video replay page?

Reply #889307 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Where are you looking? I don't even see box score links.

Reply #889310 | Report this post

Wild Willy  
Two years ago

I'm using my pc and I get the video only when I click on the box scores. Was like this last season also.

Reply #889314 | Report this post

Knowall  
Two years ago

If you click on the fixture tab at the end of they games on the open page it will take you to all the fixtures, which has the box scores. Agree though the app is shit

Reply #889321 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

On desktop at https://nbl1.com.au/fixture/west/men clicking 'Results' tab and 'Box Score' for any game brings up a page with a video replay only. It works on mobile though and as above isn't a new problem. Very poor.

Reply #889322 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

To clarify by mobile I meant browser on mobile as I don't use the app.

Reply #889323 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

The app is just the website now anyway. Real step down from last season.

Reply #889330 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Not much hype around tonight's games. Which are the ones to look out for for those tuning in?

Reply #889511 | Report this post

Boomer  
Two years ago

Senators v Redbacks will be a great game to watch. This is probably the pick of the bunch for me.

Magic v Lakeside (if Taliaferro plays) should be a decent game

Willo v Cockburn should be decent

Hawks will pound Eagles
Wolves will pound Suns
Flames will pound Slammers

Reply #889513 | Report this post

Frog 22  
Two years ago

Lakeside paying $10 to win

Reply #889516 | Report this post

Wild Willy  
Two years ago

WTF is wrong with the NBL 1 site when looking on a pc? I can't get box scores as mentioned above. And when I click on the box score I get to watch a replay of the womens game, not the mens whose scores I was looking at. I get a better result looking at stats from junior domestic comps. Losing interest fast in amateur hour.

Reply #889523 | Report this post

JT  
Two years ago

Which betting site covers wagers on NBL1 west games?

Reply #889536 | Report this post

Frog 22  
Two years ago

Ladbrokes and bet365

Reply #889537 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

On my list it shows Unibet, TABTouch and Pinnacle as well.

Reply #889550 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Also TAB Sportsbet.

Reply #889551 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Why are teams still announcing player signings? I've seen Wolves and Lightning in the past couple of days announce players that have been listed on the roster online for weeks.

Reply #889787 | Report this post

Boomer  
Two years ago

because the kids need the insta cred Kobe

Managed to get to the Eagles v Hawks game on Thursday night and was a great game to watch with it coming down to the final shot. Justin King was cooking. Had a clean look to win the game and just couldnt get it to drop.
Purser hitting the go ahead 3 to give Hawks the lead and the win in the end.

Reply #889886 | Report this post

Bored  
Two years ago

What is up with Willeton this year? Basically the exact same team that finished top 4. They are 0-3

Reply #890381 | Report this post

Billy Bob  
Two years ago

Have you not noticed they have barely put a consistent
Team on the floor yet? Covid protocols etc

Reply #890387 | Report this post

Camel 94  
Two years ago

Buccs are the form team so far this season with 4 wins all on the road. the next 3 games all at home against Cougars,Giants and Flames who are all undefeated will see if they are going to be a contender.

Reply #890430 | Report this post

wildcat  
Two years ago

Who are the teams on both men's and women's side to watch?

Hard to tell with early covid impacts.

Women's side looks like there might be a top 8 then the rest (maybe East Perth can annoy some teams from 9th).

Reply #890440 | Report this post

Fox 33  
Two years ago

Slammers need to really look at hard at folding or handing their license over. In massive debt, juniors leaving for other clubs and no development, clueless management. 22 pts in 40 mins is pathetic

Reply #890641 | Report this post

Woj Bomb  
Two years ago

NBL 1 Women Power Rankings

1. Wolves 3-0
The addition or Robbie Ryan is huge to pair with inside big and MVP contender Morrell. Williams, Morrell, Ryan is legit trio. Big game this week v Warwick.

2. Magic 3-0
Getting early wins, import Wittenger forming a big 1-2 punch with Carly Boag. Two more additions coming in soon for form a deep squad. Evergreen Casey Milo set to break the all time games record this week.

3. Warwick 3-0
Import 4 to arrive soon along with the return of Forster, big test v Wolves. Front line of Burton and Hoycard surrounded by shooters.

4. Tigers 2-1
Starting to roll again with Sharp dominating the glass, no more additions, Gandini back with Kelly and Ayliffe coming off the bench. Sharp and Lubke the best two bigs in the league adn now they add Hepburn!

5. Cockburn 3-1
Wins with imports missing, full team set to roll out soon. Ty has surrounded Edwards with a group of shooters this year. Hartmann joins soon. Do they have the front to go up against the bigs in the league.

6. Lakeside 2-1
Shoot out with Rocko with both teams hitting 100. Lakeside have legit scoring guard power in Dickie and Jones, add to the team 6'7 Ruth Davis (Hamlin) and Ash Isenberger mid season and this team is loaded come finals.

7. Flames 1-2
Slow start but the team is missing Burrows and 2nd import Kraker. The question is will Burrows return or will Ortlip have to run the show. Talented starting group if they can all get on the court.
8. Hawks 1-2
One import this season as the Hawks give time into their deep local roster, Clarke, Satie leading the way. Do they have the size up front to make the playoffs.
9. Suns 1-3
Rendulic doesnt have much talent this year but is putting together a team that is fun to watch and work hard for each possession. Import guard Bland gets to the rim at will or finds Fellow guards Panalos (17ppg) and Denehey (16ppg). They have no size at all which will make it hard to compete this year.
10. Redbacks 1-3
A lot comes down to how many points Dyer can score, import Lee has not impacted the scoring yet and looks to be out of her position on the wing. Hartree improving every game.
11. Eagles 1-2
Blazejewski is a real find. BJ finding some good form and will welcome the return of backcourt sniper Kelly. The team can score but do they have the defence to counter.
12. Giants 0-3
have been impressive for a first year team, Klastourney in good form and Mcrae is a legit talent, They lack the guard depth but will be in games early. Expect 3-4 wins this year. Import Wayment 5ppg @20% FG ouch.
13. Slammers 0-3
Import to arrive shortly and rumoured that a WNBL aussie heading down there. They will get better, It is a very young team.

Reply #890671 | Report this post

Boomer  
Two years ago

on the mens side teams to watch

Flames - they have two best scorers in the league in Walker and Nelson. The have the league leading rebounder in Jervis. They have a core of handy role players in Beard, Godfrey, Amos and Bowater. Not to mention multiple NBL champion Greg Hire

Cougars - have one of the best bigs in the league in Chukwu. Legit 7'3. Skaggs is nice. Field is in vintage Bobby Bones form. Hunt, Pond and Chan all play their roles well.

Wolves - Big bounce back from the disaster that was 2021. Turnage and Wade are tough as hell in the backcourt. Pesava is a nice pickup for them. big fella V is always exciting to watch

Giants - Have a very nice roster together. Long and athletic. Malek, Ford and Ghee have been a great combination so far. Just announced another 6'10 import to come in shortly. The had an epic battle with Cougars on the weekend that went to OT

Buccs - another team that has had a big bounce back from last year. Import Coleman has been exceptional. Muo and newcomer Meunier have been excellent. Stewart is a game changer for them at PG. Adding Blanchett and Klazstorny has given them more depth than last year too. Wunderboy keeps on going.

Teams not to watch
Slammers - ouch
Tigers - have been getting blasted without their full roster. Once they get full availability they will be competitive but right now its ugly
Suns - going to be a very long year up there

Reply #890682 | Report this post

forwhatitsworth  
Two years ago

Boomer, no mention of reigning champs Hawks in teams to watch?

Reply #890712 | Report this post

Boomer  
Two years ago

ah yes
the good ole Hawks. The San Antonio Spurs of the NBL1 West.
the play a great brand of basketball and they win. A lot.
Are they a team to watch right now? Im not sold just yet.

2 point win against senators to open the season. They got up big and then faded hard. Somehow managed to hang on.
They absolutely got out of jail against East Perth and were very fortunate King missed a clean look to win the game. The fact everyone else who has played East Perth has flogged them and they barely scraped through doesnt give a great case that they are an in form team to watch
They then got beaten fairly comfortably by Wolves after Pesava caught fire.

I have no doubt they will pick up but right now there are more in form teams in my humble view

Reply #890754 | Report this post

Pasadena 72  
Two years ago

Do Warwick have anyone coming in? If not they will struggle with the wolves tonight.

Reply #890814 | Report this post

Butts  
Two years ago

Both the roadtrip teams have been very impressive with their recruits. You can only beat who is in front of you, but Geraldton have improved out of sight from last year's down season. Having Hunt and Klazstorny off the bench is a big luxury, a few more reps and they could be real difference makers later in the season.

Giants should be very excited with their team, especially with another American to come in. Midday Sunday games are always a challenge, and to take an undefeated to overtime after getting down early shows a lot of what this team can be.

I think Clarke’s departure has hurt Hawks a lot. He is stronger than he looks and always Ds up the other team’s lead guard, and made them play D on him. King and Michaels went off against the Hawks, can only wonder if it would be different if they’d have to put some effort in on D rather.

Reply #890824 | Report this post

Wild Willy  
Two years ago

Where has Clarke gone? And do Hawks have any imports?

Reply #890827 | Report this post

Frog 22  
Two years ago

Clarke gone to play for Black in Bendigo

Reply #890829 | Report this post

Boomer  
Two years ago

interesting round of games over the weekend in the men

Buccs remain the only undefeated team in the competition after a great battle against Cockburn. It took them taking it to overtime to get there in the end with the visitors running out of steam. Chukwu is so critical to their success and him fouling out for the second consecutive game is something the Cougs will need to manage. Stewart with a player of the week performance for the buccs.

Warwick Senators! Woah! Blasted Wolves off the floor! Big wake up call for the Wolves and a big warning shot to the league from Warwick. Michaels could be a strong candidate for league MVP this year.

Tigers saw Hayes-Brown debut with a really solid showing. Slammers showed some competitiveness in this game but couldnt hold on

Eagles continue to get beat by roughly 30 a game without Roberts in the lineup. He cant get here quick enough

Magic still yet to hit their stride in my opinion. Got a great roster on paper but still yet to really fire on all cylinders. still early going in the season for them to get it figured out though.

Undermanned Flames had a close one with an undermanned Giants in Kal. Giants getting up in the end there. Will be interesting to see how the Gero/Kal derby goes this weekend up in Gero. Should be a cracker of a game

Lightning not what we are used to seeing. Very young. Very importless. Very winless. 0-5 start would have to be their worst in club history. But they are fighting. Taliaferro made some noise in the preseason games for the Lightning but has not hit the court in the regular season. They could use his scoring right now thats for sure. Has anyone seen Corey Shervill?

Redbacks with Gattorna and Timms back will start to look better and better. They should have handled lakeside a bit easier than they did but they got the job done.

Suns also rattling off 5 losses to start the season after bringing in a large number of experienced players and a highly experienced coach. Formosa, Shaw, Atkinson, Maxwell, Salinas, Huntington and retaining some of their local guys in Dinardo, Reath and Aylett with coach ettridge at the helm it surely would not have been expected to have such a slow start. Hawks handing them a 20 point drubbing over the weekend

Reply #891206 | Report this post

Frog 22  
Two years ago

"Mandurah Basketball Association announce the club has parted ways with Men's NBL1 Head Coach Aaron
Trahair.

We wish to thank Aaron for his time and efforts in leading the programme and wish him well in all his future
endeavors.

Head of Basketball Pathways & Performance Jamie O’Loughlin will assume the role of head coach of the
Men’s NBL1 team.

Jamie has coached at an NBL and Junior National Team level and will lead the team from our next game
which is away against Cockburn this Saturday 7th May."

Reply #891232 | Report this post

John Bagley  
Two years ago

New message thread for May can be found here.................

https://www.hoops.com.au/forum/50046-nbl1-west-may

Reply #891432 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

We really don't need monthly threads anymore. The SBL threads used to get a lot of shitposting, and get to hundreds of posts in a month or two. Now that people have to use names, that's stopped, and conversation has pretty much died off. It can really all be kept to one thread per year now.

Reply #891433 | Report this post

Lukosius  
Two years ago

I totally disagree. There are still enough posts to keep things monthly. Take a look at this one for example.

Reply #891435 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:05 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754