Zodiac
Two years ago

Kayo 10% price hike

Kayo Basic will be increasing in price to $27.50 per month from May 9, Kayo Premium will remain unchanged at $35 per month.

https://tvtonight.com.au/2022/04/kayo-price-hike.html

Topic #49946 | Report this topic

+  
Two years ago

Everything is going up - so fair enough. We keep on hearing about wages growth - I'm yet to see that though.

Reply #889449 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Only the rich are getting richer. Greed is taking over world sadly. I feel like wages will never go up.

Reply #889454 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

There is an election on, maybe it's time to move government and see if we can get wages up. Don’t get me started on the trillion dollar debt racked up.

Reply #889458 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Not worth it for just a streaming service.

Might as well get full Foxtel which comes with an actual PVR which includes streaming access.

Reply #889464 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Except that annoyingly, not everything on Kayo is available on Foxtel :/

Reply #889465 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

You're right, for example the exclusivity of some WNBL games being only on Kayo is a rort considering government funding paid for what was a Fox Sports production.

Reply #889466 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Totally worth it for me.

Find someone to share with. $13.75 each per month. That's 3 or 4 coffees. Or half a pub meal.

Reply #889498 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

With so many streaming services out now I just share mine with family/friends

I pay for Stan
Use my parents Netflix / Prime
Use my cousins Kayo
Use my sisters Disney+

In return they use my Stan account... until the day comes they prevent multiple users this seems to be the best way about it

Reply #889502 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Yeah the price is definitely creeping up. $35 now could be nearon $50 by next NBL season. It's the frog in the pot analogy - they bet on us not overly noticing small, incremental increases.

Is the price worth it? Probably for sports nuts. Once the NBL season is over I'll probably deactivate it until the NBA Finals series and then deactivate again until the NBL rocks back around. Kayo is definitely convenient in that you can drop in and out whenever you choose. But more price hikes would not surprise me and for some people, that extra 10-15 dollars on top of current prices will be enough to tap out. I know it's "just a beer a week". But a lot of people would prefer to have that beer rather than a bill.

Reply #889518 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

There's just too many different services now. I'm a sucker and pay for most of them (though usually just try to cycle through most of them at various times). Kayo though I keep all year (footy, WNBL and NBA mainly) but with Rugby, Tennis and (association) football moving off it its definitely lost some value.

I was lucky to get a couple of back to back year long deals for $100 or something when all the sport stopped at the start of covid but I think that second one is finishing soon. Be interesting to see if there's another offer available. I doubt it.

Reply #889520 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

Fetch with ESPN is great for basketball with all NBL and lots of NBA and very affordable.

Reply #889522 | Report this post

Watto  
Two years ago

VPN to Singapore and watch NBL games on YouTube (NBL channel) - free
VPN to Indonesia and watch WNBL games on YouTube (FIBA channel) - free

After 3 months it's cheaper than Kayo if you just watch NBL and WNBL. Sign up for NBA League Pass via South Africa for around AUD$50 if you want NBA games.

Reply #889524 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

And we wonder why our leagues can't get good broadcast deals.

Reply #889527 | Report this post

Watto  
Two years ago

The NBL is profitable and worth $400m - I don't think they'll care if a few people bypass the geoblocks and watch games for free

Reply #889528 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

And the WNBL?

Reply #889532 | Report this post

Watto  
Two years ago

I guess for the WNBL you could just get free game tapes from the referees

Reply #889533 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Hahahaha.

Reply #889535 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Why do people pay for a VPN?

Reply #889540 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

No idea, considering all the deals out there from providers desperate for new customers. I don't really use it but have a premium VPN which I purchased via a cashback site for a 110% money return. Profit.

Reply #889549 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

"Kayo though I keep all year (footy, WNBL and NBA mainly) but with Rugby, Tennis and (association) football moving off it its definitely lost some value."

The tennis is still on kayo?

Reply #889555 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

ATP and WTA tours are all on beIN Sports via Fetch/Foxtel/Kayo except for the grand slams.

Reply #889557 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

He probably was referring to grand slams because most people don't watch any other tournaments?

Reply #889558 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

I see. There's some good tennis outside of the Grand slams. The Monaco masters on now - what a picturesque setting!

Reply #889666 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Picturesque indeed. Ooh la la!

Reply #889675 | Report this post

mball  
Two years ago

How are people without any streaming services watching the NBL live these days? I was under the impression that all NBL games were on Kayo Freebies this season but that's not the case.

Reply #901271 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

I have no idea how you came to be under that impression. It's always been ESPN/Kayo.

Reply #901274 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

How are people without any streaming services watching the NBL live these days? I was under the impression that all NBL games were on Kayo Freebies this season but that's not the case.

Fetch TV is $6 per month no contract for the channel pack with ESPN and ESPN2. First month is also free for new subscribers.

They are a pay TV provider who stream to a set top box so technically a streaming service as well but I've mentioned them as it is the cheapest legal long-term non-promotional solution.

Reply #901314 | Report this post

mball  
Two years ago

"I have no idea how you came to be under that impression. It's always been ESPN/Kayo"

I was probably spoilt being able to watch all the NBL1 games on Freebies, then having three free months thanks to Uber rewards :D

"Fetch TV is $6 per month no contract for the channel pack with ESPN and ESPN2. First month is also free for new subscribers."

Thanks for this PW. I'll certainly look into it.

Reply #901453 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Thanks for this PW. I'll certainly look into it.

You will need to buy a Fetch TV set top box as well but the good news is they are currently on special for $99. It is essentially a general PVR so can be used for viewing and recording of FTA (if that's your thing) even without an active subscription.

https://store.fetchtv.com.au/collections/frontpage/products/fetch-mighty-refurbished-special-offer-1

Plus Fetch TV subscribers are treated exactly like Foxtel customers in terms of having access to streaming via the official ESPN app. In addition to live streams of ESPN and ESPN2 the entire suite of ESPN channels are included such as ESPNNews and recently third party content in the form of NFL Network was added.

Reply #901484 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Reply #901491 | Report this post

Watto  
Two years ago

Use a vpn to Singapore then go to the NBL YouTube channel. All games live and free in full HD. No baseball interruptions

Reply #901495 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Good suggestion.

If you want NBL only do what Watto suggests.

For full ESPN Australia access go with Fetch TV.

Reply #901504 | Report this post

mball  
Two years ago

Thanks Watto and PW. Will definitely look into VPN. Cheers.

Reply #901506 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

If I wasn't viewing other ESPN content I'd be going down the YouTube via VPN route as well.

I've picked up a few multi-year subscriptions to VPN providers in the past via cashback sites offering 100% money back promotion so it can potentially not cost you a cent.

Reply #901524 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754