koberulz
Two years ago

The Kings have a culture problem.

Topic #50055 | Report this topic

cavolo  
Two years ago

Maybe, but they're one win away from a championship.

Love the theater of sport and all the characters in it :)

Reply #891631 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Weak thread.

Reply #891632 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Very weak thread but KR is a Wildcats fan and the Kings owner has spent the past couple of years whinging about the supposed lack of legitimacy of Perth's GF win over Sydney in 2020.

Reply #891634 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Literally nobody from the JackJumpers side is whining about anything, all the whining is coming from this asshole.

Reply #891636 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Pretty clearly talking about Homicide and Co., Not the JJs directly.

Reply #891639 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

As a JJ's supporter find it pathetic and immature even if he is reacting to Homicide.

He should be ignored - yep no one cares.

Damn proud of the JJs and the culture they have developed would not want that muppet as our chair.

Reply #891643 | Report this post

Jackies  
Two years ago

Yep, it's a weird feeling as a jackies fan. Just so proud and excited to be still playing at the pointy end of the season. Was at the game, now at home watching the replay. Just so proud of the season, so excited for the great role modeles the Jack jumpers are for my young kids. It's clear the Sydney boss is a knob, it's clear that so is their coach. Thought a few of their players also carried on after the game towards the Hobart crowd. But hey it was a final and i take that as sign they respected us and was actually worried we might take it to a 4 or 5 game series.

One thing for sure is this season has been huge for basketabll in Tasmaniaa. Sydney may have a culture problem, one thing is for sure I am so proud of the culture our Jack Jumpers are building.

Reply #891649 | Report this post

Just  
Two years ago

Paul Smith is such a dickhead.

Reply #891657 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I think it's a good to voice your own opinion. It will just fire up the JackJumpers even more!

I can’t see Tasmania coming back, but they have a chance winning game 3.

Series has been tough on defence, but hasn’t lived up to its hype. United, Kings series would of been better.

Reply #891658 | Report this post

LoveBroker  
Two years ago

Why is Smith like this?

Yeah you have far superior talent on your team, but the JJ's can still have the Cinderella narrative given what they have overcome.

Hope the JJs win.

Reply #891662 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

100% they have a culture problem

Culture starts at the top, and the top is toxic

Reply #891663 | Report this post

Kas  
Two years ago

Total lack of class from Paul Smith.

Jack Jumpers have been outstanding all season - well done - appear to have a great team culture

From a United fan

Reply #891667 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

Hahahahhah

Reply #891668 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Paul Smith was rejected as an owner of a NRL club even though he offered significantly more money than any other rival bidder.

So he then purchased the Kings as a consolation prize because he had to channel his ego somewhere.

Yes that's right - even the NRL didn't want anything to do with him. The NRL! That's how insanely low the value of his character is viewed.

Reply #891674 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

I think it should be celebrated that Scott Roth didn't try to punch on with DJ like he did with Antonius Cleveland for doing largely the same thing. Clearly some personal growth there, and shows the value of a positive team culture.

:)

Reply #891675 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Sydney don't have a problem with their culture, they want to be known as the whinging douche bags from the big city splashing cash on a title.

Reply #891677 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

Paul Smith, you are the classic definition of a mudguard. Shiny on top and shit underneath.

Reply #891678 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Even if Paul was directing it at media, he should have known full well it would be offensive to Jackies fans. I get the argument for the need of 'characters' in the game but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be called out when they're being dickheads. I'd say Kings management is arrogant but whether that constitutes a culture problem is hard to say, because they're winning and most likely are about to win the title. Obviously the players are able to operate perfectly fine in that environment...

Reply #891681 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

They had their name on the trophy as soon as Adams turned up fit, even now with out him it doesn't matter. Good luck to them, and like United even Perth before them they bought the title. It’s same in most sports around the world, you spend big you win. Liverpool football club has a swagger but unlike the kings they are not full of themselves.

Reply #891685 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

you spend big you win

There are plenty of examples in the NBL of that not being true, so Sydney still needs some amount of credit for getting it done regardless of how their budget compares.

Reply #891691 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Yep, I respect the talent of the Kings and the fact they are getting it done (ie DJ's 3 - he had every right to celebrate it the way he did no problem from me).

That does not mean other actions can not be called out. Also, have no problem with Buford showing passion (his players know he has their back) but still reckon that deserved a Tech every day of the week.

Reply #891698 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Kings are absolutely getting it done, which plenty of big spending teams have failed to do. Credit to their team.

But, Buford has to be penalized for that dummy spit.

And you'd hope Larry is constantly keeping in Smith's ear about toning down his nonsense, to avoid bringing the sport into disrepute with his BS.

Reply #891699 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I love DJ as a player and yes he's allowed to celebrate, but yelling at JJs fans is over the top, Roth was over the top when he chased that hawks player, Buford kicking the sign. Celebrate by all means but have some restraint and respect. Every time kings get called for a foul they complain, no we are Sydney ref you got that wrong.

Reply #891701 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Roth aint no angel. DJ has every right to celebrate a big bucket.

Reply #891703 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

Smith's nonsense seems to suck a lot of people into engaging with it, so while there are reasons LK would want to tone it down there are also reasons he would want to keep it going.

Reply #891704 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I remember in one of the nbl documentary's that LK liked clubs having a go at each other.

Reply #891705 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

And lets not forget the borderline racist 'angry black man' stuff the NBL's in-house media were peddling about Joey Wright too.

Reply #891708 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it was more based around Wright being pitched as a villain?

I’m not overly fussed if NBL has a media arm trying to generate narratives and marketing and playing to Cinderella stories or villains or rivalries.

AFL Media have sought to do the same thing - reality is this is entertainment and it’s the theatrical part of it, I don’t view it as some sort of systemic bias by the league, more that it’s the league exploiting story lines to rouse emotion and engagement.

Reply #891710 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Looking it up now I couldn't find anything so I must have misremembered two separate things that and his accusations of racism against a ref years ago and erroneously combined the two things.

Reply #891712 | Report this post

WC95  
Two years ago

Its good for theatre and generating more interest. I think a lot of NBL fans are sensitive to this type of stuff because they're not used to it. I certainly am not a Paul Smith fan, but have no problem with him generating interest. He's also trying to sell more tickets too, his team has a 17000 seat arena to fill, so maybe its his strategy to act like a knob more so than others for that reason.

Reply #891715 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

Players do have a right to celebrate wins and big shots but the owner just writes the cheques so he can pipe down.
I think DJ was a bit over the top with his celebrating at the JJ's crowd but if that’s his jam then so be it. Some day the shoe will be on the other foot and he can suck it up.

Reply #891717 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

"Some day the shoe will be on the other foot and he can suck it up."

100%. Much ado about nothing, and like you say, Tassie will give it to him next team we lose on their homecourt. Meanwhile, apparently DJ has had a death threat thrown his way by some bozo online.

Reply #891719 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

The game needs hero's and villains and one teams hero is another’s villain.
Sad state of affairs when players are getting death threats over a game.

Reply #891726 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

DJ hit a massive shot and has every right to celebrate. If JJs fans now have someone they love to hate all the better.

Buford on the other hand, needs to be reprimanded. And Smith has money so he'll be fine

Reply #891727 | Report this post

Reader  
Two years ago

What did homicide say?

Reply #891728 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Two years ago

He said "DID YOU SEE THAT!? OH MY GOODNESS DID YOU SEE THAT!?"

It was some great informative commentary work

Reply #891729 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

It's the owner being a douche, it's not a Kings Culture thing what so ever.

Reply #891730 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

He said "DID YOU SEE THAT!? OH MY GOODNESS DID YOU SEE THAT!?"

It was some great informative commentary work
I loved his explanation yesterday of why the Kings being down 10 was bad for them. Very insightful.

Reply #891731 | Report this post

Fox87  
Two years ago

Jack jumpers is the worst name in sport. Period.

Reply #891736 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

No it isn't, what about Knickerbockers?

Reply #891738 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It's not even the worst name in the league.

Reply #891740 | Report this post

WC95  
Two years ago

Why is it the worst name? That's just your opinion and its probably pre-judged by the media who are just shocked by it.

I think it's a cool name. Very unique, you don't see that very often.

Reply #891743 | Report this post

Fox87  
Two years ago

Knickerbockers can be shortened to knicks.
Jack jumpers to jacks??
It is the worst name. What is worse? It's an ant.
Ants are not inspiring. They are annoying. Stupidity.

Reply #891745 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

Is a Pelican inspiring? Nothing wrong with JackJumpers at all.

Reply #891746 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

Ok Paul is Paul the Kings have more talent and Roth is the better coach but the Commentary tho please let's discuss that in some way......Terrible !!! Hahahah

Reply #891747 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

It is the worst name. What is worse?
36ers.

It's an ant.
Ants are not inspiring.
And Knickerbockers are?

Reply #891748 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Jack Jumpers has grown on me, although I just call them the "Jay Jays". Its unique rather than just ripping off an MBA/college nickname and I think they did a good job with the logo and mascot.

Reply #891751 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I don't think anyone can complain about anything the JJs have done, and let me tell you I thought they got it wrong at the start. The crowd yesterday yelling march, march was fantastic. Good luck to them, it’s going to be a hard act to keep up with next season.

Reply #891756 | Report this post

Mystro  
Two years ago

I thought the name was ridiculous at the beginning but at least it's unique and the branding is well done.
Sydney’s branding is also pretty spot on with their owner being the King of all Knobs...

Reply #891764 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

I know a few Tasmanians and they just refer to them as the "Jackies". Don't mind it now after initially thinking it was a bad name.

Reply #891879 | Report this post

Scout  
Two years ago

Yeah the team has been embraced down here mainly due to the work or Roth etc getting out and having a crack.

Test as with all clubs is will the crowds continue if there are a few losses.

Reply #891913 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

I certainly use Jackies. Good simple nick name. JJ's is common too.

Reply #891916 | Report this post

Dave Q  
Two years ago

Definitely a culture problem.

A culture probelm that lead to WINNING THE COMP!

I know, I am being a bit over the top. But give me my moment, it has been a while.

Reply #892011 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Jack Jumpers seemed weird at first but has definitely grown on me. Love that its unique.

"It is the worst name. What is worse?"

United.

Reply #892026 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I'm not a soccer fan at all, but I always found it odd that people criticized United because it sounds like soccer.

It is the biggest spectator sport in the World with some iconic brands. Like Manchester United.

Nothing wrong with United at all.

36ers is just weird to me.

Bullets is outdated.

JJ's was odd at first, but like all these names, they have a way of growing on you. Once you associate them with the team they start to seem normal.

Reply #892034 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

United is so closely aligned with football (soccer) though, that even people who arent fans of the game hear Melbourne United and think you're talking about soccer. Why create that confusion in casuals and media?

Reply #892037 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

I may be biased but I've always thought the 36ers is the best nickname in the league it relates directly to when the colony of South Australia was proclaimed in 1836 approved by King William IV. Given all the other nicknames are just animals and stuff like that the 36ers name has almost 200 years of historical weight behind it.

Plus it would've sounded more acceptable due to the existence of the Philadelphia 76ers in the NBA named after when the US Declaration of Independence was signed in 1776.

Reply #892038 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Yeah I like the 36ers name too. Good shorter name as Sixers. The "Super Sixers" brief period was....not good

Reply #892040 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Now that I know where 36ers comes from, I like it more immediately.

It will grow on me now, I'm sure.

Reply #892041 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Best: 36ers
Worst: United

Reply #892061 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

36ers is a good name IMO

I don't stress about United as a name but at some point, if you have 1-2 other teams in the same city, it’s no longer a "United" city - would love to see the Tigers return.

DJ can celebrate and show passion, Adelaide has faced more blatant celebrations from opposition players - to be honest it’s great for the game. Nothing wrong with there being a bit of a villain story.

We don’t need a game of niceties, if someone is game to stir the pot a little and not go over the line about it, good on them.

Reply #892102 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:31 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754