HighIQ
Two years ago

Who is commentating game 3 so I know if I’m muting the game

If it's Carey I’m muting the whole game for sure i mean it’s actually getting worse. I thought he would have gotten better in this role by now. Saying the Kings being down 10 is bad when in fact I felt they were in a great position only being down 10 playing so bad in a hostile environment. His takes are so far off it’s embarrassing for the league. Plus often the other guys have to either cover for up his Bs or tone him down playfully. I can take the others but this circus show has run its course if the league truly wants to grow.

Topic #50057 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Two years ago

This is the second thread you've started to complain about a game that already had two game threads.

Reply #891749 | Report this post

HighIQ  
Two years ago

This the 2nd time you commented so it's working I’m getting the attention of the troll of trolls Yayyy hahahahahah

Reply #891750 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

None of the commentary actually bothers me, but I've liked the Gaze/Copes duo together throughout the season.

Reply #891752 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Two of Gaze, Hooley and Santamaria should be calling every game, with one of Heverin and Casey.

Reply #891753 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I could not stand homicide last season, this season he's been good. Gaze has them all beat. Santa gets up my nose with his everything pro nbl and pumping up his favourites. The rest are ok, Hooley slipped a bit, talking to much now.

Reply #891757 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Two years ago

I don't mind any of the commentary team except for Homicide. He is so irritating that he degrades the broadcast package.

Reply #891758 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

The only guy who gets muted 100% of the time is Heal.

Reply #891760 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

"Two of Gaze, Hooley and Santamaria should be calling every game, with one of Heverin and Casey."

Why do we need any more than this group? Remember when Casey and Carfino did 3+ games per week and actually had to travel to the venues? My ideal scenario would be to switch between either Heverin or Casey as play-by-play. Both are quality. Matched with two out of Gaze, Santamaria, Hooley and Heal.

The commentary is one area where I think the NBL is vastly superior to watching 95% of NBA games. Homicide and Cam Luke should be, at most, emergency replacements.

Reply #891767 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

To me, the only reason to deviate from the Casey/Heverin-Gaze/Santamaria/Hooley team is a) availability and/or b) blooding new talent.

Copeland, Homicide, Heal, Russell, etc. have shown they aren't up to it. No need to have them on.

I'd also like to see them go to actual reporters on the sidelines instead of ex-players. That's not a color commentary role, they don't need knowledge of the game. They need to be able to do a good interview and report if there's an injury or something, and most of the people in that role are awful at it. Especially the part where they're supposed to STFU during the game; we keep getting them interrupting to jump into discussions the main commentary team is having and try to offer insight. Not their job.

Reply #891768 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

The commentary quibbles that go on on this board is something I don't really get. I think we have a couple of really good commentators and a few "meh" commentators but I've rarely, if ever, watched a game that I thought was detracted by the commentary team. It's more there are occasions when more insight would be nice. Contrast the NBL commentary with some of the FIBA commentators who sound like they've been ripped from the soccer coverage and it's night and day. Contrast NBL commentary with NBA and the NBL commentary can often actually be better save for the absolute stars in NBA commentary. If you're complaining about NBL commentary I think you must be fairly bored.

Reply #891770 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Russell is the only one that's truly, truly intolerable. Homicide varies a lot depending on who he's teamed with.

But Liam, Pete and Gazey are just so damn good that there's no reason to have anyone else on the call. Even Gaze can get dragged into Homicide's bullshit at times. It's less "these guys are bad" than "you have other guys who are so much better".

Their preference for Russell-Homicide pairings is appalling. Each worsens the other significantly.

Reply #891773 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

I like Russell and Homocide's enthusiasm but you're right in that they shouldnt be teamed together. You can have one on any given broadcast but not both.

Reply #891781 | Report this post

koberulz  
Two years ago

Nah, Russell has absolutely no clue what's going on half the time.

Reply #891782 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

I do not understand Der-Wayne Russell.

Google helped me though as apparently he is an ex-Aussie Rules player which explains a lot.

Traditionally in a two-man commentary team there is the lead who is an eloquent speaker with a background in broadcasting or journalism therefore is an easy listen for the audience. Additionally you have a colour man who is an ex-player providing expert analysis of the sport and its play.

Der-Wayne is neither eloquent nor an expert so has no place on NBL coverage.

I assume he serves the role of main commentator in Aussie Rules as well which is why he holds the equivalent position when covering NBL. If that is the case then it goes to show how poor the sports broadcasting talent of this country is.

Der-Wayne sounds like a drongo and the type of dad whose children fear what will come out of his mouth whenever he opens it. We're not related to him but have to endure it anyway because someone evidently had a hard-on for him back in the day after he booted a few goals.

Reply #891792 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:14 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754