D2.0
Two years ago

Is "Wildcats Culture" slipping?

Wildcat Members received a survey invitation, and it was very heavy on questions about "Culture" and it got be thinking.

Whether you hate the fans, think the Cats spend too much, etc, I believe that under Bendat they did a great job of developing and Instilling a Team-First culture. This has been epitomized by several players and coaches over the past couple of decades.

So don't take this the wrong way, but it was great to see that (kind of) culture, on display through the finals.
Just a pity it was nolonger with the Wildcats.

I'd not suggesting Roth "learnt" this culture during his brief stint with us, but it's probable that his attitude got him first the assistant role with us, and then the Head role with the JJs.

And sad that guys who had embraced this culture with us, were let go.

As we tripped and faltered towards the finish-line, it was evident that the team was losing cohesion, and that the coach has lost touch with just about everyone.

So where is that culture now?
We've got an arrogant American coach who disrespects the fans, an American trained GM who thinks signing Law was his crowning achievement, and I see no sign that they're doing anything to rebuild that culture.

Topic #50125 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Two years ago

Scott Morrison reminds me of Connor Henry 2.0

Reply #893289 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Law plays for Law, he's either really good or very average. If you have players like this the culture breaks quickly. Again I have no information inside the cats organisation but that’s how it looks. Gleeson used to run plays for his main players and everyone new there role.

Reply #893291 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

What a joke, Just sack Morrison already if you're worried about culture so much that you're surveying fans about it.

Reply #893294 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

It definitely slipped last season. Not sure how much blame ScoMo personally deserves either as culture tends to flow downwards. I don't think it should be panic stations or anything at this point for the Cats, but each season that passes between the present and the 2020-21 squad it becomes just that much more difficult to try and regain that traditional Cats 'ethos'. Even as someone who loves to hate the Cats (playfully) more than most, there's no denying the legacy of what they've achieved. It's a unique thing in sports, and it's a steep, steep hill to have to climb back up again. It helps having Cotton, but the juggling act is putting the right guys around him now - both imports and locals. It's not just good enough to put the ball in Cotton's hands and expect championships.

Law is a good player, but not a good fit next to Cotton. The locals are not at the same level as in years past. If The Cats had had a guy like Mooney last season though I dare say people's views of ScoMo might be different (although his dismissive/petulant demeanor in post-game interviews, especially after loses, rubs me the wrong way regardless of how he had the Cats playing).

Reply #893300 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

Mika Vukona's available I am sure.

Reply #893305 | Report this post

Looking forward  
Two years ago

Certainly hope so.

Reply #893308 | Report this post

proud  
Two years ago

So when SEN came in and we're looking to buy the club, I wonder if they seen the culture on full display and if they have tried to keep that culture or even emulate it elsewhere.

The MVP ball is on Saturday and that should be an interesting event

Reply #893353 | Report this post

Senator11  
Two years ago

Maybe Sco Mo's just not a great coach? Could be as simple as that. Doesn't have to be about culture, of course things will appear different when such long servants such as Bendat and Gleason are gone, but that may or may not be "loss of culture".

Reply #893366 | Report this post

Ballman  
Two years ago

Their recruiting has been falling behind for a number of years. They have consistently had less talented teams and with a combination of Cotton and Gleeson they managed to cover it up and be successful. Last year they were caught out and I dont think the coach is 100% at fault because the cats as an organisation were flirting with danger in previous years and hadn't really invested in youth and kept players like Wagstaff and White a year longer than they should have. If you dont invest in youth then you have to pay market price to poach someone. Wagstaff has been great for the club but a 35+ year old is holding onto a senior spot that would be better for a 25 to 27 year old to hold. Where is our next best 6th man candidate ?

So far in the trade season they haven't looked like increasing bench strength and I feel another underwhelming recruiting offseason ahead. They need 2 solid new bench options to replace wagstaff/white and of course a 4 and 5 of premium calibre.

Reply #893391 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I know I'm not from Perth or haven’t been to a game but I’ve watched Perth at JCA many times with the NBL Cup and last season with United and Phoenix. Looking at their body language behind the bench I feel their was a culture change.

If Perth go into season like last season thinking they will make finals, and get the big imports then they wont make finals. Wildcats should finish 5th or 6th place in NBL23. But I’m hearing the NBL is introducing play-in games.

What I am hearing from the NBL headquarters is that they’re thinking of a top-6 finals format. 3rd seed will play 4th seed for 3rd spot. Then the 5th seed will play the 6th in a elimination final. Then winner will play the loser of 3rd v 4th. Top seed of that match will host the 5th or 6th seed for 4th spot, then into the normal semi final format.

Unsure if the NBL want to extend their semi finals series to best of 3. Bit like what the Eurozleague do in their quarter finals. Heard Jeremy is having a look at the Italian Basketball finals. They do all best of 5 finals for quarters, semis and their final is best of 7.

Reply #893398 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

All best five in Germany as well. Stick to top four, or at best, four v five elimination.

Reply #893401 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

I like what European competitions do. I don't get why the nbl make their finals series so short. Fingers crossed something changes.

Reply #893406 | Report this post

D2.0  
Two years ago

"Their recruiting has been falling behind for a number of years"

It certainly appeared that way, but then again they got guys that bought in and thrived under Gleeson.
Guys like Kevin White, Blanchfield, and Bairstow, all played their arses off.

Reply #893985 | Report this post

Outlook  
Two years ago

Wildcats culture has changed dramatically since the departure of Gleeson.

Unsure of the influence of the new owners but what's not broken, don't fix.

Trying to become more entertaining by supplying more offensive games isn't great because defence wins championships.

NBL should just have 18 regular season games (for a 10 team comp), then have a 5 game semi final and 7 game grand final.

Reply #893986 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:19 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754