Red84
Two years ago

Reflections - Classic U18G

As a NSW based observer (a parent, not a coach), a couple of reflections regarding the Girls U18 comp from attending the Classic. First, having attended the Classic off and on for a decade, it was clear that the quality/competitiveness of Vic teams had deteriorated - undoubtedly due to much longer Covid quarantine in Melb relative to other states.
Former powerhouses Melb and Nunawading were well down. Sandringham also. Only Bulleen, which won the division and were clearly the best team, seemed to play in line with their high historical standards. Even regional teams like Frankston, Casey and Kilsyth looked a touch off, even though they fielded competitive teams. Knox - who came 2nd - looked competent but very guard heavy and a bit one dimensional in offense. In general there was a lack of competent bigs across the comp. Regarding SA teams - I only saw Norwood and Sturt. I was really impressed with Norwood - they have a wonderful big, brought up from the 16s to play. Norwood fell away as the tournament moved on - I suspect (I don't know) that other teams scouted Norwood and realized that the team relied too excessively on their star big in offense. Got to mix it up Norwood - diversify how you score. As for Sturt - no real change there with a game style that's been constant over the past decade- very quick, competent guards. They got 4th. Well done. But can do better with the list I saw - but this requires they contemplate renovating their systems to allow their bigs a more active role rather than be confined as a support act for their guards. In prior threads Sturt supporters have stubbornly refused to acknowledge this - fair enough. It's just an opinion.

Topic #50169 | Report this topic

hoopie  
Two years ago

I'd suggest that a lot of the drop-off in Vic quality is also due to the explosion in numbers of girls playing footy, which has taken away a lot of talented 'sporty’ girls

Reply #893824 | Report this post

XXXX  
Two years ago

There was a definite drop off in the standard of the top age Vic girls. There were some pretty good performances by bottom agers though, particularly Deas and Potts.

Sandringham and Casey were very disappointing, lots of VNPP girls and State reps, most of whom performed pretty poorly. I thought both would be up there with Bulleen at the top of the table.

Reply #893829 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

COVID and the intermittent cancellations / lock downs etc over the last 2 years has definitely affected some age groups more than others.

However I expect the players to catch up quickly once things are back in full swing.

Reply #893837 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Footy really has decimated the basketball talent in vic

Reply #893848 | Report this post

+  
Two years ago

lot of players / families I talk to in that demographic here prefer what basketball offers.

Reply #893849 | Report this post

Juice  
Two years ago

Lockdown had a huge impact but not how you think. It's got to do more with coaching than athletes in my estimation. We can keep blaming lock down all you want but what it impacted was physicality and basketball IQ not skill. I think there are more good young coaches in the other states that know how to communicate with the modern athlete and get the best out of them. There is not a lot of coach education utilizing good coaches going on in Victoria. We are more concerned with the gender of the coaches. We don’t share ideas enough. In Victoria, I think there is a transition in the coaching ranks of old to young without the sharing of wisdom, ideas and experience. A lot of experienced coaches have left and their knowledge and wisdom with it. Isolation and lock down isolated the coaches from conversations and growth from playing each other. That’s where we suffered. It will take time but thankfully there is balance in the states which makes our game that much better and ripe for growth. Congrats to every team that made the classic and every athlete that competed.

Reply #893925 | Report this post

Nightwing  
Two years ago

Juice its the same in every state. It's the same at BA. It's because funding requires more female coaches, officials and players. It all comes back to money not quality.

Reply #893946 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:31 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754