Isaac
Two years ago

NBA Finals: Celtics vs Warriors, Game 6

First quarter almost done in Boston. 18-22, Celtics up.

Draymond finally hits a three!

Topic #50172 | Report this topic

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Boston looked good early, warriors just keep knocking them threes down.

Reply #893924 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Warriors can taste it now. Celtics need the main break desperately.

Reply #893927 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

It's not over till the fat lady sings but she sure is warming up.

Reply #893928 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Two years ago

It's all over!

Reply #893929 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

11 point game with a qtr to go, far from over...

Reply #893930 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

There is life, 10 point lead to Celtics, I don't see it happening though as much as I would like to see it.

Reply #893931 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Warriors are gonna need one more run to put them away. These Celtics won't lie down. Klay needs to hit a couple

Reply #893932 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Robert Williams is amazing defensively.

Warriors have attempted only 4 free throws

Reply #893933 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Based on the box score Draymond Green is really having the last word in this series

After a shoddy start and all his antics, I guess you have to pay credit for walking the talk

Curry will finally get his Finals MVP

Reply #893934 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

So glad the Dubs are getting this done, 4 championships for Klay, Curry, Draymond matching LeBrons 4

Reply #893935 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Only Lebron have injuries have defeated these Warriors since they won their first title in 2015. Pretty impressive.

A modern day sports dynasty and they've done it with class and teamwork, and a team that's mostly been built not bought

They were definitely lucky with Kawhi's injury in 2017 and Paul's injury in 2018, but every single champion has a bit of luck

Reply #893937 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Lebron and* injuries

Reply #893938 | Report this post

Anon  
Two years ago

Toronto were lucky in 2019 that Klay got injured and KD only played 10 mins in the series.

Reply #893939 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Well done to the warriors, congratulations.
Curry was amazing,
Wiggins great series
Green again stepped up
Kerr again knows his coaching.

Boston, like the JJs here overachieved imo but fought it out to the end.

Reply #893940 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

I don't think Boston overachieved

The long term arc suggests they're where they should be- a young core of Tatum, Brown and Smart who have made the conference finals 4 times in 6 years and finally won it

Their payroll's in a good position, every chance this was the first of several trips to the Finals for this group

Reply #893941 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Wiggins was legit the second best player for a team that won an NBA title. I still cant get over that.

Dray was great today. Active at both ends and kept his antics in check. Basically back to his 2015-2019 best.

Steph is absolutely among the very best of all time. To be able to carry his team at times in this series and provide the closing touches today with all that defensive pressure all over him. I still think somehow people take him for granted.

The Celtics will be alright. They've got plenty of internal growth with all their stars still so young. They just need depth and a plan for dealing with Al Horford's decline.

Tatum kept getting praise for his passing in this series, but he's their best player and at some point needed to play like it. Yes he had all the defensive attention and often made good reads, but when his team was hurting he needed to be the guy to step up. Jaylen Brown was much better at staying aggressive for this whole series, but I expect Tatum will learn from this and come back better.

Reply #893942 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

I don't think Boston overachieved either. I actually think we're just in a really even period of the NBA.

The last four champions have been 4 different teams. It was the same after the Bucks won last season and once earlier in the decade but before that it hadn't happened since 1981 when the previous 5 were all different.

There's no one dominant team, and really comes down to which teams are peaking at the right time, and importantly, avoid injuries.

Reply #893943 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Spot on, this is a great era and much more interesting than 2015-2018 when we just took for granted another Warriors vs Cavs series, as long as none of the Warriors Stars or Lebron got injured

Tatum is only 24 which is still a couple of years younger than Lebron when he got shut down by the Mavs in 2011 on his first trip to the finals

Reply #893944 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

Tatum has really impressed me in these playoffs. Aside from sometimes being too passive as I said above, his defense is much better than I ever gave him credit for and his basketball IQ is a lot better than I ever thought. I basically always had him pegged as Melo 2.0 but he's already much better than that.

Reply #893945 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Ever since seeing Tatum in 2018 challenging Lebron, I always thought he would become a franchise player and likely All-NBA level. Now he's achieved that, what's his ceiling? next step is developing a real killer instinct and working out how to elevate in the playoffs. Plenty of all-NBA first team players never get there, but even if he doesn't, I still wouldn't be surprised if he leads this Boston team back to the finals. Maybe Brown will be the guy who lifts himself a little extra in the finals. Between those two and Smart, it's a trio with a combination of toughness, defense and talent that could see them with titles.

They might need another guard who can handle the ball under pressure, or find a way to reduce turnovers and keep the offense going, or maybe Tatum takes one extra step as an even better creator. And a replacement for Horford as he declines.

Reply #893948 | Report this post

Big Fudge  
Two years ago

Tatum first player in NBA history to have 100 turnovers through the playoffs

Reply #893951 | Report this post

Cram  
Two years ago

On the Warriors, has there ever been a dynasty team better placed to springboard into the next great team than the this group?

Steph, Klay and Dray have still got a few years left, but Poole made a big leap this season and Kuminga, Moody and Wiseman could still all be anything. Add to that Wiggins being still relatively young, and this side could contend for another 10 years if things all work out.

There's no guarantee that they'll ever reach their potential, but I can't think of many other dynasty type teams that have had that level of potential coming through as their key pieces age.

The Spurs are probably one, with Kawhi coming through to get that final ring and likely would have kept them as contenders had they not fallen out.

Obviously the 60s Celtics had an incredible pipeline but i don't know much about that era.

Reply #893952 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

If Wiseman turns out great then it'll be reminiscent of the Spurs drafting Duncan after the Admiral's injury resulted in a 20 win season

But, maybe Kerr is just the next Pop. After Duncan, The Spurs dynasty was really built off smart drafting and developing players- eg Parker (pick 28), Ginobili (57) and Kawhi (pick 15, traded to Spurs from Indiana) weren't high picks, Bruce Bowen had been playing overseas

GSW is looking similar. Green (pick 35), Poole (28) and Looney (30) weren't high picks, even Klay (11) and Curry (7) weren't top 5. Wiseman interestingly is their first real high pick!

Reply #893955 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Kuminga #7 too, forgot about him

It really will be scary if Wiseman, Kuminga, Moody take big strides in the next couple of years

Poole is already good for ~20 a game. Curry should remains elite and Klay/Green very handy for at least 2-3 years

Reply #893956 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

I agree, Kerr is looking like the next Pop, both come across as smart respectable people as well.

Reply #893957 | Report this post

Isaac  
Two years ago

Boston were right where you'd expect them, really. Very solid core, and only faded in the last 1-2 games of the series. I thought they looked very dangerous and was expecting them to go from 2-2 to the championship. They didn't have the play-off experience of the Warriors core, and they also had fatigue from tough series to fight through. Rookie coach wouldn't have helped.

I was really impressed by Williams. If he'd been able to play 35+ MPG, Boston would've been a chance. Such a consistent impact. Warriors players were clearly avoiding him, when he wasn't blocking them.

And it's definitely a great period of the NBA where no one would've bet their house on any team winning as they approached the play-offs. All-time players couldn't carry teams the distance. Nearing the post-season, it seemed like besides the Warriors and Celtics, the Suns, Heat, 76ers, Bucks, Nets, etc were a chance. If not for injuries, the Nuggets and Clippers would've been trouble, Bulls as well. Jazz on paper too. Pelicans with Zion might've caused a bit of trouble. Exactly what you want in a league.

I thought the Warriors absolutely should've traded Wiseman/etc for a rotation player to improve their chances in the short term, but here they are with the trophy and a path to the next generation.

Cram, Spurs are who I thought of too. I only just looked up the 2014 Spurs a couple of days ago - they surprised the league that year. But besides Kawhi, did they have enough pieces to claim a young core? Splitter was three years in, but almost 30 years old. Patty was 25. Danny Green similar. Cory Joseph was 22 and started 19 games, but only averaged 5 PPG and hasn't gone on to much.

Reply #893968 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Spurs may well have won the 2017 title if not for Zaza Pachulia taking out Kawhi's landing space on that unfortunate jumpshot

2018 too, with Manu, Parker, Gasol, still there, plus super role players like Danny Green, Rudy Gay, Patty, supporting prime Aldridge, if Kawhi's fit that 47 win team becomes a 60-65 win team and a more balanced outfit than Harden's Rockets who themselves only got beaten after Paul's untimely injury

If Kawhi was still with the Spurs today and paired with Dejounte Murray they'd still be a powerhouse to this day

The Spurs may yet rise again, they made the play-in this year with a team of kids and now own a treasure chest to attract more talent

It would be a fitting end to Pop's career if he can guide this group back into contention over the next year or 2. Looks possible if they can land a star free agent

Reply #893972 | Report this post

JoelMVP  
Two years ago

Tatum is a media hyped superstar. I'm reality he’s a good player. That turnover stat is brutal and can’t be overlooked. Brown was good, but again they’re missing a true star. Kyrie was meant to be it.

Reply #893974 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Two years ago

LV

"Tatum is only 24 which is still a couple of years younger than Lebron when he got shut down by the Mavs in 2011 on his first trip to the finals"

2011 was not the first time for LeBron, 2006/2007 was and he was 23 at the time.

The Spurs did sweep the Cav so it understandable why it is easy to forget

Reply #894060 | Report this post

LV  
Two years ago

Sorry you're right- and I'm a Spurs fan too, completely slipped my mind

Reply #894062 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:51 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754