AngusH
Two years ago

Justin Simon to Kings?

No names have been mentioned, but sounds like Simon might be the defensive wing the Kings have signed.

Topic #50262 | Report this topic

Johnson14  
Two years ago

I'm hearing the same.

Reply #895815 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Ahh the budget conscious kings.

Reply #895816 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Deep deep deep

Walton jr I
Vasiljevic
Simon I
Cooks
Maker

Bruce
Glover
Noi
Maker ns
Hunter

Bayles
Makoi dp
Galloway dp

Still another import spot

Reply #895824 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Back to back with that line up.

Reply #895826 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Sounds like they have a stretch big signed as well.

So:

Walton jnr
DJ
Simon
Cooks
Import stretch big

Bruce
Glover
Noi
Maker
Hunter

Bayles
Maker

Possibility Maker gets a deal in the NBA I think with some of the flashes he's shown. Solid squad, but As usual a lot will depend on the imports, and Simon isn't a natural fit on offense with how the Kings played last year at least.

Reply #895829 | Report this post

Boba Fett  
Two years ago

"Ahh the budget conscious kings." Why are the Kings any different than most other clubs? They were under budget last season.

Reply #895833 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

No they weren't. Come on Boba.

Reply #895834 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

The top few clubs spend big money, kings keep telling all that they don't, just get all quality players because they are good blokes. Lol ::)))

Reply #895835 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Wouldn't suprise me if something shady is going on at the kings.
Let’s be real, the starters alone and they would be over the cap.

400+ easy
Walton
Vasiljevic
Simon
Cooks
Maker

Certainly everyone wants a breakdown of team spending made public

Reply #895837 | Report this post

NBLTigers  
Two years ago

Justin Simon makes sense. Not a bad singing by the Kings if they can make this happen.

Reply #895838 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Two years ago

We've been through this. 'Under budget' here just means under the salary cap, as based on the NBL salary cap rules. See 'Explaining the NBL Salary Cap System' by Liam Santamaria, 9 July 2020 (published on nbl.com.au) for details.

A team can pay a marquee whatever they like and only a fixed portion of that amount counts toward the cap - in 2019-20 that amount was $171,654. Presumably it's risen since then but would still be only in the $200,000 range. So if the Kings paid Cooks a million dollars (!I made this up!) but made him their marquee player, only $200,000 or so would be counted towards their salary cap.

Likewise, (most) imports are paid in $USD then those $USD are converted into $AUD for the salary cap at a fixed rate of USD$0.92 per AUD$1.00. The current exchange rate is actually USD$0.6548 per AUD$1.00. So a team could pay an import AUD$400,000 but that would only be valued at AUD$284,696 for salary cap purposes. (AUD$400,000 x 0.6548 = USD$261,920 / 0.92 = AUD$284,696)

So actual spend and the 'budget' for salary cap purposes are potentially vastly different numbers. The more imports and marquee players a team has, the greater that difference usually will be. e.g., In this way, a team could pay 4 players (2 marquees + 2 imports) $2 million but only count ~$1 million towards the salary cap:

Marquee 1 - $700,000 - ~$200,000 counts towards cap
Marquee 2 - $500,000 - ~$250,000 counts
Import 1 - $400,000 - $285,000 counts
Import 2 - $400,000 - $285,000 counts

BTW, I expect a key reason Perth want Cotton naturalised is so they can pay him as a marquee. I reckon that'd probably reduce the amount his salary would count towards their 'cap budget'.

Reply #895864 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Thanks PeterJohn, well explained. Certainly helps the wealthy clubs.

Reply #895865 | Report this post

Is it only me that thinks that Cooks and Simon are a little too similar in what they bring to the table. Kings need their 5 man to be a real stretch 5 or the paint will be well and truly clogged.

Cooks Simon and Hunter certainly wont work well as a unit.

Reply #895867 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

Another quality post by PeterJohn containing a good primer.

It's frustrating when one individual in particular tries to use the difference between total spend and salary cap to obscure matters because he worked for the club over two decades ago.

Reply #895868 | Report this post

Johnson14  
Two years ago

Justin Simon to Kings just been confirmed.

Reply #895960 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Two years ago

So Walton replaces Adams and Simon replaces Clark with Hunter effectively replacing Martin will be interesting to see if they sign a third import or not given the new deals for Cooks and Vasiljevic.

Reply #895969 | Report this post

AngusH  
Two years ago

Apparently they were talking to a stretch big at summer league. Uthoff is one name that has been bandied about, but likely not within their budget.

Reply #895972 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:23 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754