pattymillsMVP
Two years ago

Josh Green beast mode alert

Josh Green went super sayain today and didn't miss. 100% shooting. 16 pts 5 rebs 2 asts. The stat sheet didn’t tell the full story either. He was instrumental in some final plays drawing offensive fouls and many hustle plays.

If he’s not a lock for Boomers then I don’t know who is (except Patty of course).

Topic #50589 | Report this topic

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

66.7% 3 pt so far this year.

Reply #903968 | Report this post

pattymillsMVP  
Two years ago

Leading league in 3pt% and ts%

Reply #903970 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

People sleeping on him last year, he averaged 15 minutes on a playoff team!

He's a boomer lock, and I hate to say it, if Green and Thybulle are both in play, I think it’s gonna be really tough for Cooks to make it, they do too much of the same things, just with better offense!

Reply #903981 | Report this post

McBlurter  
Two years ago

Neither of them would play Cooks role.

If anything, those two are the same role as Dyson Daniels and Dante Exum

If Green and Daniels play well, it could be a fortunate situation where it allows Patty Mills to start from the bench, extending his career.

Reply #903984 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Green on an upward trajectory for sure.
Think Thybulle could be on the boomers fringe if he continues to get limited minutes , cotton very much needed to take pressure off mills.
Not a lot of scorers in the boomers...

Top 20 atm for me

Giddey-Exum-Dellevedova-Mcdowellwhite
Mills-Cotton*-Daniels-Proctor
Ingles-Green-Thybulle*-White
Cooks-Kay-Simmons-Pinder
Landale-Reath-Maker-Baynes

Stock Sliding
Simmons
Thybulle
Exum
White
Baynes
Proctor

Stock Rising
Cotton
Pinder
Green
Daniels
Reath
Maker

Reply #903986 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

White sliding?

Otherwise can't disagree much. Lack of scorers remains a worry. We need Mills, in form.

Reply #903991 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

Simmons says he 100% wants to play for boomers, sorry pal, but your antics have cost you that honour.
In terms of keeping culture, need to keep some older guys around but need to blood new ones to carry baton. Mills, Baynes and Delly should be locks as long as they can dribble the basketball. Exum and Ingles may be casulties, Ingles because I don't think boomers can have 4 senior citizens and Exum because of competition of WMW, Green and Daniels. Thybulle a very big maybe, but would take Aussie Cotton over him for offence. Giddey, Cooks, Kay and Landale would be locks given their experience to produce immediately. Add Reath to that group as well.
And whilst Pinder has been very good recently, can he play the 5 at international level?

Reply #903993 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

I think Exum's quality performances in top-level Euro games would rank him above WMW and probably Daniels

Reply #903994 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Simmons said Olympics though, I don't think there’s any real possibility of him nominated for the WC

Reply #903998 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

No WC should basically disqualify Simmons from the Olympics. While he has a diverse range of skills, except shooting, he is not a chameleon. If he wants a major role, the team needs to be engineered to fit Simmons, so he can't expect to rock up and take a key role on an Olympic team. The World Cup is the preparation for the Olympics. It's basically the qualification too. If Simmons doesn't make himself available for the World Cup, I can only see him as a bench role player at most. There's even a good argument to be made that players like Kay, Cooks and even White would be a better fit on the team. So does he even make the team? At point, it will be Giddey's team by then.

Reply #904016 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

But it would be classic entitled Simmons to assume that he could slide into the Olympics team at any stage and have the keys handed over to him. Has anything changed?

Reply #904017 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

On Josh Green, his shooting numbers seem very promising. But it's very low volume so far. Is he being quite selective? His 2-pt rate is very high too, but extremely volume that I wonder if it's just a few dunks. It would be huge if he can continue efficient 3pt shooting. At the Tokyo Olympics, he was a complete non-threat from 3-point range, so it would be massive if he can continue anywhere near his recent NBA shooting form.

Reply #904018 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

He hardly played in Tokyo as 12th man, 3mins a game. 11th man was Reath at 4.2 min a game.
Was Between Giddey and green for the last roster spot in Tokyo.
I see him getting 5-10 mins a game.next major tournament

Reply #904019 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Simmons has been very average this season, treated the team poorly previously, should not be a walk up start.

Reply #904021 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Hard to tell whether Simmons would be better at pg or pf for australia.
Cooks, Kay and Pinder playing very well atm.
Giddey lock at pg, butsimmons, Exum or Delly as backup?

If cotton makes it over Thybulle, I'm taking Simmons as backup pg for some defense and size in the backcourt to sit alongside 6’0 cotton at sg.

Reply #904022 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two years ago

To be honest, Pinder is hard to pick for the WC Boomers. We saw his play in Asiacup.
WC has to face bigger, faster players.

Reply #904034 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Pinder is the same size as Kay.

Reply #904035 | Report this post

hoopie  
Two years ago

Kay has more bulk and muscle than Pinder, I think, and less agility or flashy moves.

As for Simmons, I reckon BA would fall over themselves to include him if he says he wants in, even over the wishes of the coach at the time.

Reply #904044 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Goorj has clearly stated he wants Simmons in the 12 and talks to him regularly.

Reply #904046 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Thybulle is an All NBA defender, he defended Luka in a bronze medal match, he defended Durant, there's zero chance he’s left off the team if available, his minutes decline is not due to performance, it’s due to his coach, who is on the hot seat.

This is the same guy the 76ers refused to put in the Harden trade.

The only way Cotton makes it is if Thybulle isn’t available.

And if Thybulle is on the team then Cooks is redundant, they do much the same thing, the difference is Thybulle does it an elite NBA level, Cooks does it at an elite NBL level.

There is no universe where Cooks starts over Nick Kay in a boomers lineup.

The boomers are gonna need more legit size, legit size! Not small ball 4’s, by the time they add 4 big guys, add all the NBA locks, and add some shooting, it’s unfortunate but cooks will get squeezed out.

People should actually watch NBA games, Jack White is more important for the boomers now and in the future, and I love Cooks as a player, just because you’ve seen more of cooks play here in oz doesn’t mean he’s better than our NBA players

Reply #904047 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

Nothing has been said by anyone to indicate Simmons has any interest in the WC.

What Goorj said isn't any different to pre-last Olympics, standard comments with no material meaning.

Reply #904050 | Report this post

Weedy Slug  
Two years ago

Yup

You do realise Thybulle is a 6'5 sf and cooks is a 6’8 pf...
Different positions mate.

Reply #904051 | Report this post

Perthworld  
Two years ago

People should actually watch NBA games, Jack White is more important for the boomers now and in the future, and I love Cooks as a player, just because you've seen more of cooks play here in oz doesn’t mean he’s better than our NBA players

Wholeheartedly agree in general but as an added bonus this site has always had a perplexing relationship with Jack White - so many on here panned him for whatever reason.

Reply #904053 | Report this post

rjd  
Two years ago

"Goorj has clearly stated he wants Simmons in the 12 and talks to him regularly."

This is totally sensible. Simmons can still have great value to the team if he turns things around, but he's increasingly become redundant. If Goorj thinks Simmons won't make the team, I'm sure all he has to do is warn Simmons that he won't get many minutes, then Simmons will pull out, citing something like working on his game or needing time to get mentally right.

Simmons value is going to be at the defensive end. Same as Thybulle who is at an even more elite level. The ability to have two defenders of that calibre rotating on an opposition elite wing or tall floor leader like Doncic is likely to be quite enticing to a defensive minded coach like Goorj.

FIBA rewards good defenders more than the NBA. We saw how disruptive Thybulle was in Tokyo. Imagine Simmons and Thybulle together in a swarming defensive lineup. Perhaps not something to be employed against every team, but it might be a nice card to be able to pull out. But all of this assumes that Simmons has the team-focused mentality to just play a role, like Thybulle.

"The only way Cotton makes it is if Thybulle isn't available."

I expect that Goorjian is going to want to keep Thybulle, even though the Boomers desperately need more scoring and shooting options. The one exception: if there is no Mills.

Reply #904055 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

I'll take Thybulle at 4 before Cooks 7 days a week and twice on Sunday and the entire NBA agrees with me. that's why Thybulle gets paid about $4 mill more per season

Reply #904076 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

They are different sort of players, Thybulle and Cooks, I'd take which is best suited to the balance of team. Cooks offensively, though free throws and three point shot is poor, Thybulle much better defensively, better three point shot, not as good around the bucket though. There will be a big nbl push for Cooks though.

Reply #904079 | Report this post

Anonymightymouse  
Two years ago

"I'll take Thybulle at 4 before Cooks 7 days a week and twice on Sunday and the entire NBA agrees with me."

And if the Boomers were playing in the NBA that would be good reasoning for selection.

Reply #904081 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two years ago

Goulding, Broekhoff and Vasiljevic at least one of these three shooters will be on the 12-man roster.

Reply #904087 | Report this post

Patty"TheGOAT"Mills  
Two years ago

The reason is the lack of shooters compared to ball handlers.

Reply #904088 | Report this post

KET  
Two years ago

If Simmons nominated, you'd have to be a little crazy to say no.

With that said, you would be picking your poison when you’ve got a PG in Giddey who isn’t a scorer, probably Thybulle who isn’t a scorer and then Simmons definitely isn’t a scorer.

Mills isn’t enough scoring to carry a team and when Mills is done it gets even worse.

The question is, does Exum, Green and co provide enough scoring now and do they with Daniels and Proctor etc. provide enough scoring in a post-Mills era?

Reply #904090 | Report this post

Yup  
Two years ago

Yeah I'm thinking too, the role that CG43 has played for N.T, he’s definitely added value but it might be time for CG to pass it on to DJ, pretty sure Broekoff is cooked

Also thybulle was 4th in minutes at Tokyo, he played more than Landale, and with Ingles averaging 31 minutes clearly the majority of those were at the 4

Player G MP
Patty Mills 6 32.5
Joe Ingles 6 31.0
Nick Kay 6 28.0
Matisse Thybulle 6 23.3
Jock Landale 6 21.8
Dante Exum 6 20.7
Aron Baynes 2 15.0
Matthew Dellavedova 6 14.2
Chris Goulding 6 11.8
Nathan Sobey 6 6.3
Duop Reath 4 4.3
Josh Green 5 3.0

Should make it a forum rule, you need to watch basketball before posting

Reply #904093 | Report this post

Frisbee14  
Two years ago

So Landale hasn't improved significantly since Tokyo??? As has Green. And of course Giddeys been terrible since not even making the team.
How's Thybulle producing these days?
Like the rule about watching basketball, practice what you preach.

Reply #904097 | Report this post

KWhite_Rulez  
Two years ago

Absolutely balling out against the Nuggets. 22pts on 8/8. 6 from 3.

Reply #904819 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:02 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754