Flinders 98
Two years ago

BA Under Investigation

Anyone see the article that was in the newspaper about BA is exploring allegations of nepotism, favouritism, conflict of interest and lack of transparency in Victorian teams.
A whistle-blower with 40 Yeats experience raised serious claims against them. The allegations centres on process of team selection, appointment of coaches and talent program and acceptance of sponsorship money.

The whistle-blower then goes to say that in Victoria to being vulnerable to being gamed and corrupted.
And that children with connection are getting preferential treatment and teams are being selected ahead of tryouts and coaches are choosing players they have previously coached for State team and AIS.

It's a disgrace and it's about time someone was called in.

Topic #50673 | Report this topic

AngusH  
Two years ago

Pretty sure this happens with nearly every sporting code.

Reply #906363 | Report this post

Dunkman  
Two years ago

Yes all sporting codes and all states.

Reply #906365 | Report this post

Cosmo Spacely  
Two years ago

$150.00 fine .....

Reply #906366 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two years ago

this won't last and will be brushed away with some generalized report/reply

We know it happens, if you connect the dots in sport its always about those helping others and networks. Only got to look at the coaches that selected for state teams on a regular basis to not say that BV don't like having coaches over 30 in programs as assistant coaches. and thats the stuff on the sidelines.

Reply #906369 | Report this post

Crackers65  
Two years ago

I suppose they will go back as far as 1984 and say that A.Gaze only made the team because his father was the coach.

Reply #906372 | Report this post

Manders  
Two years ago

It seems the standard response from people is - it happens in other sports and has always happened. No one has said that it is ok. That is interesting of itself.

In fact, it doesn't happen in other sports, where they ensure there is independence from club land as much as possible.

Reply #906386 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Two years ago

Basketball has always been like this. Its also the most unreasonably expensive sport for juniors to play. If youre not born into money, youre not getting decent coaching and its not gonna happen in this sport for you in this country.

Reply #906389 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

The heading says BA Under Investigation yet all the talk is about basketball Victoria.

When someones child misses out on selection for State Teams etc there is always the comment"The team was already selceted".

For many years I was involved in State Teams in my state as an Assistant and Head Coach and I can assure you that was never the case.

The players had to earn their spot from the trials each and every time.

Reply #906418 | Report this post

Manders  
Two years ago

Yes, and which club did you come from?

Reply #906468 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

Not a Victorian Club,I am from a Sydney Association and I actually did not pick some of our Association players because as I said before I picked the best 10 players and people thought I was being unfair on them but they did not earn the spot.

There was the comment of the team was already picked before trials and I again reintereated that it was not but I do know of some NSW Coaches who had a majority of there team thought out before trials.

Reply #906511 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

Top 6-7 kids for any team is picked before trials as they are usually the best players by a decent margin. The last 3-4 are picked on needs, size, speed etc. I'm not a fan of the SDP/SPP but can see how it can be valuable for kids who don’t have access to skills coaches or parents how played at a decent level to continue their growth/skills.

If your kid is outside of the SDP/SPP and is good enough to make it, they will make it. If they are borderline 7 to 15, I dare say they will take an SDP/SPP kid instead.

Reply #906512 | Report this post

retired  
Two years ago

In NSW you have to be doing the NSW programs otherwise you will not be considered and unfortunately not all the best players want to do these state programs

Reply #906524 | Report this post

Footloose  
Two years ago

There's the kids that don’t want to do it. There’s also the kids that can’t do it because they play multiple sports; or the parents can’t get them there due to their own work commitments; or they can’t afford it. Should not matter when it comes to a State team.
Agree with Pinch though, it won’t matter if they’re in the best 7, if they’re not then it’s a crap shoot whether you’re in SDP or the like, or not

Reply #906533 | Report this post

Pinch  
Two years ago

@Retired

I was referencing if a players was not selected or didn't trial for SDP/SPP, if they are bottom half 7-15 of a state trial, they will likely pick SDP kid over none SDP.

Reply #906538 | Report this post

Asthetic  
Two years ago

^^^^
Not just likely, BV have made that a rule this year, unless you are in their SDP or SPP programs you are not eligible for State team selection.
Bit rough on kids that as mentioned above can not afford or get to and from these sessions.

Reply #906574 | Report this post

Movingscreen  
Two years ago

So the Teams are already selected then . lol .

Reply #906623 | Report this post

AssistantsPen  
Two years ago

BV has a lot of rules that exclude kids from elite programs, thats why they are seeking academies and school programs instead. the same goes for coaches, unless a part of an association you can't coach for a state team ruling out school coaches and others. Surely based on this investigation you'd be better off having more people from outside the ''system'' than inside.

So many great coaches who don't coach rep, or only coach Big V instead that are ruled out for coaching for the state based on this system and the goes for elite programs and teams.

Reply #906686 | Report this post

Loopyhoopy  
Last year

So where do selectors glean their information from? Association stats like basketballconnect and gameday? How do they know they are not missing out on huge wildcard / unknown success if not prepared to look beyond the "already pre-determined?" just interested.

Also - question - but what would a selector think of a Junior rocking up to a state trial, politely introducing themselves and handing over a short document and saying please take a second to read my "resume"?

Do selectors or anyone even read any documents / photos / videos that get uploade to "state trial registration platforms" - does anyone do any real prior research? e.g. top of association league stats????

Thanks for your time to answer these questions - I think I know the answer LOL

Reply #908272 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Not sure about the documents bit, but can assure you from experience that there are absolutely no stats taken at try-outs (wouldn't that be sensible) and it’s more like the guys on Moneyball (think the scene of the old guys sitting in the room talking about how nice the sound of the ball sounds coming off the bat of a prospect). Really, there is no assessment of that pure quality required for a basketballer - just watch them on a Friday and see how much they want it, how hard they go and how effective they are. It’s simple, really. It’s what football does (and yes, most of those guys are volunteers ... but they just love the game and finding talent). That’s why we bleed so many kids to football programs, because they come and pick the eyes out of the talent and watch the games on a Friday (yep, they come down and watch the basketball).

Reply #908310 | Report this post

NEMelb  
Last year

How are the coaches selected? Do they apply? Presumably as Gov money supports all this the process is clear and legit, and for instance any family relations are not involved in decisions (directly or indirectly).

Reply #908785 | Report this post

Manders  
Last year

Apparently selection docs from BV are available for viewing. Will be interesting.

Reply #911396 | Report this post

BballGee  
Last year

Hi all, newbie hear and a parent who has seen some of this stuff occur.
None of this surprises me in the slightest.
The selection of players etc etc at the rep levels is amateurish, nepotistic and prone to favouritism. You will never get it perfect, that is an impossibility but things need to be put in place to remove the elements of bias and favouritism, which are clearly there.

Seeing some of the kids playing in two or three divisions lower than they should be due to 'transfer rules' and who happen to be in an association not as well funded as others is unfair for the kids.

They then dont develop as well etc etc.

Ive been to quite a few trials and even my own kids teams, where some players had no business being anywhere near any representative teams at all - but were picked for who knows what reason.

I know many kids are really good now - they work hard and are very skilled, but the odds are stacked against you. The teams are already picked prior to tryouts and you have to be LeBron James to force your way in - no kid is going to be THAT good. So it makes it very difficult to break through and then get the coaching and development you need.

One thing I have really noticed to in NSW, is kids with money now become the 'good players'. Either through extensive private school programs or the requirement to get private coaching to improve.

Id say we miss many, many kids of raw talent that is never nurtured properly and for a sport that is almost free to play, cost is getting prohibitive.

Reply #911643 | Report this post

BballGee  
Last year

No rep coaches of any kind should be coaching state sides or if they do - they are not involved in the selection process at all. Team gets selected - you coach it.

Should be selected by an independent committee, turn up randomly and watch the players play. Coaches are locked out - too much conflict of interest. Minimise as much conflict of interest as you can.

if not if the rep coaches then coach and select the state sides - since the rep teams are closed shops in NSW due to transfer rules - how does a 'new' kid get into higher echelons of play? You almost cannot do that. so they dont get developed - I know you cannot develop every single kid but I hate it because it cheats many kids - the system doesnt work.

PS this is not to say the coaches dont do an amazing job with the kids - they do, they coach and improve them and mainly are excellent.

Reply #911644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 am, Mon 29 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754